Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,134 members, 7,821,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Breaking Barriers: The Quest For Female Leadership In ANA - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Breaking Barriers: The Quest For Female Leadership In ANA (192 Views)

Poem On Bad Leadership In Africa / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Receives UN Global Leadership Award / Chimamanda Adichie Honoured With The Global Leadership Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breaking Barriers: The Quest For Female Leadership In ANA by synw: 6:51am On Sep 07, 2023
BREAKING BARRIERS: THE QUEST FOR FEMALE LEADERSHIP IN ANA
By Wole Adedoyin
With the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) election drawing near, candidates are actively campaigning across different state chapters to garner support and endorsements. Notably, this election marks a historic moment as a female writer is stepping forward to vie for the top leadership position within the Association. It's worth recognizing that women have not previously sought the highest office in ANA.
The significance of this milestone can be traced back to the invaluable contributions of women to Nigerian Literature. This journey began with trailblazers like Flora Nwapa, widely regarded as Nigeria's first female novelist. Born in January 1931 in Oguta (or Ugwuta), a town nestled on the eastern shores of the stunning Oguta Lake in Imo State, southeastern Nigeria, Flora Nwapa achieved a remarkable feat in 1966 by becoming the first African woman to publish a novel in the English language.
In an interesting twist of fate, the outgoing ANA President also hails from Imo State, further highlighting the rich literary heritage and potential for transformative change that this upcoming election holds for the Association.
Numerous esteemed female writers subsequently joined the literary scene. These authors included luminaries such as Buchi Emecheta, Mabel Segun, Hafsat Abdulwaheed, Catherine Acholonu, Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo, Stella Oyedepo, Sefi Atta, Karen King-Aribisala, Sarah Ladipo Manyika, Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, Molara Ogundipe, Ifeoma Okoye, Chinelo Okparanta, Osonye Tess Onwueme, Molara Wood, Balaraba Ramat Yakubu, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Ayobami Adebayo, Nnedi Okorafor, Helen Oyeyemi, Chika Unigwe, Lola Shoneyin, and Toyin Adewale-Gabriel, among others.
In the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), numerous accomplished women writers have enthusiastically pursued various positions at the national level. However, it's worth noting that very few have ventured to run for the esteemed position of ANA Presidency. Among these talented female authors are individuals such as Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo, Maryam Ali Ali, Joy Esuku, Chinyere Obi-Obasi, Prof. May Nwoye, Charry Ada Onwu Otuyelu, and Farida Muhammed, just to name a few.
A quick examination of ANA's Past Presidents list reveals a historical absence of female leadership within the organization. The roster includes notable figures such as Chinua Achebe (1981-1986), Kole Omotoso (1986-1988), Femi Osofisan (1988-1990), Ken Saro-Wiwa (1990-1993), Odia Ofeimun (1993-1997), Abubakar Gimba (1997-2001), Olu Obafemi (2001-2005), Wale Okediran (2005-2009), Jerry Agada (2009-2011), Remi Raji (2011-2015), Denja Abdullahi (2015-2019), and Camillus Ukah (2019-present). Notably, there has not been a female president in the history of ANA.
It's hardly a surprise anymore that Hajia Farida Muhammed has set her sights on the top leadership position within ANA. Her campaign trail has already taken her through states such as Osun, Oyo, Nasarawa, and more states like Benue and Abuja are poised to be included in her itinerary. The undeniable truth is that within the realm of ANA politics, Hajia Farida Muhammed holds considerable sway. Her influence played a pivotal role in the rise of Denja Abdulahi in 2015 and Camillus Ukah in 2019. In 2015, Farida's unwavering support for Denja Abdulahi was not only evident but also served as a testament to her dedication and commitment to the cause.
ANA Niger once held a significant role in ANA Politics on a national scale. It played a pivotal role in the emergence of Prof. Remi Raji in 2011, a time when Denja Abdulahi assumed the position of Vice President in ANA. However, this chapter later experienced a division when a prominent figure within it contested for ANA's top position in 2015, challenging Denja Abdulahi.
In 2015, at the Kaduna convention, Hajia Farida stood firmly alongside Denja Abdulahi, resulting in a noticeable split within ANA Niger. One faction supported the presidential candidate from the state, while the other rallied behind Denja Abdulahi. Many of us bore witness to the events in Kaduna, and this marked a significant turning point for ANA Niger.
Since that tumultuous event, ANA Niger has struggled to reunify and regain its former cohesion.
In 2019, when Camillus Ukah announced his bid for the ANA presidency, he selected Hajia Farida as his running mate. However, some influential figures from Niger state and the northern regions, who supported Camillus Ukah's opponent, began to mobilize against his presidential aspirations. Although the election did not take place that year, the ANA Niger delegation was notably divided, with Hajia Farida leading a substantial group to garner support for Camillus Ukah. I was amazed by her ability to approach members of the northern chapters in support of Camillus Ukah’s candidacy. At the Enugu Convention ground, she tirelessly moved from one northern chapter to another, seeking endorsements for Camillus Ukah.
Recently, while reviewing video clips I recorded during the Enugu Saga, I came across a segment where a member of one of the ANA Northern Chapters accused Hajia Farida Muhammed of abandoning one of their own for an unfamiliar candidate. The man was expressing his grievances in Hausa, a language I didn't understand at the time. It was only after I shared the video with a Hausa-speaking friend that I learned the reason behind the accusation. If there is interest, I am willing to share the video, along with other captivating short clips related to the Enugu Saga.
I am aware that certain political entities she has displeased due to her association with Mallam Denja Abdulahi and Camillus Ukah are now joining forces with prominent figures within ANA to thwart her presidential aspirations. I find it rather astonishing to witness a well-known personality leading the charge in this campaign.
At present, my belief firmly holds that Hajia Farida Muhammed should not be dismissed simply because of her gender; instead, her admirable actions deserve recognition and reciprocity. It has come to my attention that there are those who doubt Farida Muhammed's capabilities. However, it is essential to acknowledge her impressive track record, including her roles as Vice-Chairman and Chairman of ANA Niger, her tenure as a national treasurer, and her current position as the outgoing Vice President of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA).
Similar comments were made about Camillus Ukah in the past, with many giving him various labels. Some claimed he was too reserved, incapable of delivering results, or even called him a puppet. The question remains: Is Camillus Ukah truly a puppet? I leave it to my readers to provide their answers.
I believe it is high time that female writers within the ANA (Association of Nigerian Authors) become more prominent in ANA politics. Elections often involve politics, and this phenomenon is not unique to ANA; it occurs in other similar professional associations such as NUJ (Nigeria Union of Journalists), NMA (Nigerian Medical Association), NBA (Nigerian Bar Association), and so on.
For instance, in NUJ, there exists NAWOJ (National Association of Women Journalists), which actively safeguards the interests of female journalists across the country. During elections within NUJ, NAWOJ consistently supports their female candidates. However, we haven't seen a comparable support system within the writers' community. The Women Writers Association of Nigeria (WRITA), which was once vibrant, seems to have fallen into disuse. In the past, a majority of WRITA members were also ANA members, making it a potentially valuable resource to support individuals like Hajia Farida Muhammed during times like these. It's time for ANA to recognize and empower its female writers within its political landscape.
If WRITA were to be inactive, I strongly recommend its revival to champion the cause of women in the field of writing. There are numerous talented female writers across the country who are outperforming their male counterparts. It is essential to direct attention towards female writers and their well-being. ANA, in its current state, may not adequately cater to the needs of all writers.
The upcoming ANA National Election will be a litmus test to determine whether female writers within ANA are truly valued beyond being used solely for garnering votes for their male counterparts. I firmly believe that deserving individuals like Hajia Farida should also be considered for the top leadership positions within the association.
Wole Adedoyin serves as the President of both the Writers for Human Rights and Writers for Democratic Change. He is a dedicated champion of women's rights and also holds the distinction of founding the Nigerian Women Writers Forum (NIWOWF).

(1) (Reply)

We Need Competent Creative Writers!! / Dka Annual Short Story Competition 2023 (maiden Edition) / I Want To Sell Copyright To My Unpublished Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.