Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 (13766 Views)

Israeli Strike Kills Wissam al-Tawil, Hezbollah Commander In Lebanon / Storms Batter South And Central Europe, Kills At Least 12 ( Pix, Video) / 18,000 Kyiv Residents Given Guns As Russian Forces Approach (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Antiochus(m): 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2023
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced $1 billion of aid during a surprise visit Wednesday to Ukraine, which suffered a Russian strike that killed at least 17 people at a market.

The attack, which President Volodymyr Zelensky described as deliberate and “heinous”, drew international condemnation from the West, including accusations of war crimes.

Projectiles tore through the centre of Kostiantynivka — a town of nearly 70,000 people in the eastern Donetsk region — in one of the deadliest strikes in weeks.

“They smashed everything, all the shop windows, everything was strewn around,” an eyewitness told AFP.

“Thank God we are alive, of course. But the girls who were selling there, they are all dead,” the witness said.

Images distributed by officials showed rescue workers picking through the debris and carrying away some of the 32 people reportedly wounded in the blast, which left vehicles charred and kiosks torn to pieces.

“Anyone in the world who is still dealing with anything Russian simply ignores this reality,” said Zelensky.

“Heinous evil. Brazen wickedness. Utter inhumanity.”

He later accused Russia of deliberately targeting civilians and said there were no military units “anywhere near” the scene.

The European Union condemned the strike along with the “escalation” of Russian attacks on “civilian objects” that has seen hundreds killed or wounded in recent weeks.

“Intentional attacks against civilians are war crimes,” the bloc said in a statement.

Germany’s Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock wrote on X, formerly Twitter, that “this Russian war of aggression is an attack on international law, on humanity.”

Meanwhile, White House spokeswoman Karine Jean-Pierre said the incident underscored “the importance of continuing to support the people of Ukraine as they defend their territory.”

‘Build Momentum’

During a meeting with Zelensky, Blinken reiterated Washington’s support for Kyiv in its fight to liberate territory in the south and east.

“We are determined in the United States to continue to walk side by side with you. And President Biden asked me to come to reaffirm strongly our support,” he told Zelensky.

“We see the important progress that’s being made now in the counteroffensive and that’s very, very encouraging,” he added.

The new $1 billion aid package, which includes $665.5 million in military and civilian security assistance, would further “build momentum” for the counteroffensive, Blinken said at a later press conference.

In addition to the funds, the Pentagon announced it will provide Ukraine with depleted uranium tank ammunition — a powerful but controversial weapon due its toxicity.

Russia’s embassy in the United States said on Telegram that the move was “a clear sign of inhumanity” on Washington’s part.

“The US is deliberately transferring weapons with indiscriminate effects,” it said.

The Kremlin earlier dismissed Blinken’s visit, arguing US aid would not “influence the course of the special military operation” — Moscow’s term for its offensive.

Kyiv’s army meanwhile said it was pressing on with “offensive operations” towards eastern Ukraine’s war-battered town of Bakhmut, which fell to Russian forces in May, and the Moscow-occupied southern city of Melitopol.

The boost in US aid to Kyiv follows criticisms in recent weeks that Ukraine’s counteroffensive has been too slow.

Russia said Wednesday it had “improved its tactical position” near the northwestern city of Kupiansk, where it has led a local offensive for weeks.

It earlier hit Ukraine’s southwestern Odesa region, near the border with Romania, with overnight drone attacks killing one person.

Early Thursday, Russia’s defence ministry said three Ukrainian drones had been destroyed during the night: one on the outskirts of Moscow and two over the southwestern Rostov region.

“Several cars were damaged” in the centre of Rostov, along with building facades and windows, regional governor Vasily Golubev said on Telegram.

One person sustained cuts but declined hospital treatment, he added.

The Russian capital’s Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said on Telegram that debris from the “drone attack attempt on Moscow” caused no damage or casualties, according to initial reports.

‘Everything possible and impossible’

Ukrainian lawmakers approved Wednesday the nomination of Crimean Tatar Rustem Umerov as Kyiv’s new wartime defence minister, in what was hailed as a historic move.

Crimean Tatars are an ethnic minority hailing from the Black Sea peninsula, which was annexed by Russia in 2014.

“I will do everything possible and impossible for the victory of Ukraine — when we liberate every centimetre of our country and every one of our people,” he said on social media.

The 41-year-old businessman has been involved in prisoner exchange negotiations involving Saudi Arabia and grain export talks with Turkey and the United Nations.

Zelensky had nominated Umerov as new defence minister after the resignation of Oleksiy Reznikov, calling for “new approaches” in the wake of several corruption scandals within the ministry.

“It is the highest state post ever held by a Tatar (from Crimea),” Sergiy Leshchenko, an advisor to the presidential administration, told AFP.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/09/07/us-announces-1bn-aid-to-ukraine-as-russian-strike-kills-at-least-17/

4 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by udemzyudex(m): 2:06pm On Sep 07, 2023
Keep laundering money while your citizens are dying in poverty and homeless.

106 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by obedience4(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2023
Good one from the USA, am so happy about this aid,because Ukraine will be getting depleted uranium shells,for it's tanks and artillery pieces.
The UK aid also dropped last week too

All Russian invaders would be driven out of Ukraine

Shame to Putin, nobody takes his threats serious anymore, he and his lab dog sergey lavrov have been ranting about the uranium shells, since the aid was announced

25 Likes 18 Shares

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by JudgeWilson(m): 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2023
US officials and Ukrainian officials are catching out big time from this war.

79 Likes 1 Share

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Gnosis777: 3:52pm On Sep 07, 2023
udemzyudex:

It's absolutely disgusting! But hey, I guess the people must enjoy getting screwed up the rear perpetually.

8 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by obedience4(m): 4:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
udemzyudex:

You that is not giving aid to other countries are your citizens not dying in poverty??
Go and chick with the statistics bureau in Nigeria and see the number of internal displace person in Nigeria

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by udemzyudex(m): 4:24pm On Sep 07, 2023
obedience4:

You that is not giving aid to other countries are your citizens not dying in poverty??
Go and chick with the statistics bureau in Nigeria and see the number of internal displace person in Nigeria

So what are you trying to justify?

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by obedience4(m): 4:50pm On Sep 07, 2023
udemzyudex:

So what are you trying to justify?

The country you are bashing, it's citizenry and it's economy are way better than yours.
To answer your question, what am I trying to justify is this,you don't know more than the USA government and they know about it's plight of it's citizenry and if they chose to give out aid then so be it.

In the USA budgets they are provisions for military aids,economic aids and so on.
After Israel and Egypt Nigeria received more military aid than any other country from the USA.

It's what they do

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_aid

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Foreign_Military_Financing

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by udemzyudex(m): 4:55pm On Sep 07, 2023
obedience4:

The country you are bashing, it's citizenry and it's economy are way better than yours.
To answer your question, what am I trying to justify is this,you don't know more than the USA government and they know about it's plight of it's citizenry and if they chose to give out aid then so be it.

In the USA budgets they are provisions for military aids,economic aids and so on.
After Israel and Egypt Nigeria received more military aid than any other country from the USA.

It's what they do

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_aid

Whether they're better than us is not the discussion here, instead of laundering in Ukraine and claiming to help fighting the war, don't they have homeless people there?
Are you trying to say that everyone over there is doing well?
https://www.businessinsider.com/war-in-ukraine-russia-richer-millionaires-billionaires-uhnw-wealth-ubs-2023-8?international=true&r=US&IR=T

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by obedience4(m): 5:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
udemzyudex:

Whether they're better than us is not the discussion here, instead of laundering in Ukraine and claiming to help fighting the war, don't they have homeless people there?
Are you trying to say that everyone over there is doing well?
https://www.businessinsider.com/war-in-ukraine-russia-richer-millionaires-billionaires-uhnw-wealth-ubs-2023-8?international=true&r=US&IR=T

You using the word laundering makes me sad.
I don't understand the context you are using that word.

A USA government, backed by law, gives a an aid,a military aid, approved by the USA congress to another government, the Ukrainian government, backed by law in his country, yet you call it laundering.

Are they no homeless people in Russia?
The money Putin is spending financing a war will do the Russian people a lot of good.

The article you posted, you should be aware how the Russian system operates, a few people "oligarchs" have the monopoly of Russia wealth while the multitude suffers.

The USA have it's lowest unemployment rate since 2008, it's economy grow by 2%, inflation is down from 9% to 3%
It's currency is stronger
The USA is doing good

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by FalseProphet1(m): 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
I see the US economy crashing, I see a very violent protest by their citizens, I see Biden loosing his reelection bid.

This I have seen.

15 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by AllenSpencer: 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
Good one!

Let’s see how long a poverty stricken Russia will last!

The US and NATO will stretch Russia to breaking points that will cause unrest in the country.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by CaptainRogers(m): 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
Nice one
Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by datola: 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
Western big brother.

God bless America.

5 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Enoch07: 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
US dey enjoy this war.

2 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by DaTruths: 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
This war could won't end without nuke

1 Like

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Guyman01: 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
Over a hundred billion dollars given to Ukraine to fight Russia while Biden offered only $8.5B to 54 African countries he invited to Washington for photoshoot, and Ukraine is still losing badly because all the indices are against Ukraine, Russia is more populated than Ukraine by over a hundred million people and is a weapons making powerhouse, how Ukraine intends to win Russia with Babiya Allah like this current donation which is most likely a money laundering scheme is the 8th wonder of the world or perhaps Zelensky is simply delusional and mad.

Many Europeans who hate Russia have said like Trump that its time for Ukrainians to stop dying in this unequal and unbalanced conflict, according to NATO experts the kill rate between Ukraine and Russia is now 1:8, meaning that for every one Russian casualty theres 8 Ukrainians.

Ukraine is also facing manpower shortages and countries like Poland are now rounding up Ukrainians living in their cities ti be sent back home against their will to go and fight and possibly die in the hands of Russian forces.

Another reality is that Ukraine is wasting a lot of western weapons which they are learning to use in the midst of a hot war, they are used to Soviet and Russian weapons, even American pilots are already saying that giving F16 fighter jets requested by Zelensky to Ukraine will not change the course of the war because its not so easy for a pilot used to flying MIGS to learn how to maneuver F16 in a matter of few weeks of training with Russian S-500 and Kinzhal missiles waiting for them, this is not a fight against Iraq and Libya by a coalition of several countries fighting together

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by johnjay4u2u(m): 5:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
World leaders seem confused.
All the ordinary citizen wants is peace and good life.

3 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by inoki247: 5:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
Lol giveaway for war...

1 Like

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Oyindamolah: 5:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
angry
Ukraine should call for cease fire . At this moment NATO nor Europe will come to their defense. they have betrayed them
so it's better they walk in with talks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by FunnyDude(m): 5:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
Whaaat 1 fvckin billi dollars So Biden can give our money to Ukraine when we the black Americans are suffering inflation and grocery costs have tripled in the last year grin cheesy
Native Americans are homeless and can't put up with the unending bills. We need a government policy to stop this uncharitable act, majority of fellow Americans are really suffering under this evil government of Biden

POTUS is fueling this war, missed Trump tongue

3 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Great0123: 5:45pm On Sep 07, 2023
Why not put an end to the fruitless war at once.?

3 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Macdeey: 5:46pm On Sep 07, 2023
angry
Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Saidfx(m): 5:47pm On Sep 07, 2023
AllenSpencer:
Good one!

Let’s see how long a poverty stricken Russia will last!

The US and NATO will stretch Russia to breaking points that will cause unrest in the country.

They are trading with their BRICS partners and doing fine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by SILVERLINES: 5:47pm On Sep 07, 2023
wink
Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by TheNobleProphet: 5:47pm On Sep 07, 2023
Thank you USA/NATO.

As for Putin, he CANNOT and would NEVER end well!

Nemesis is REAL!

It would definitely catch up with him here in this World or in the Life after!

1 Like

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by josielewa(m): 5:48pm On Sep 07, 2023
1 billion dollars in housing will keep those homeless people in US with a home..but no.., they must finance wars..America is a shit hole compared to Saudi, Dubai etc...Truly, america is as good as a shithole without wars and invasions...trillions spent on unnecessary wars would have turned USA into something like a utopia, but now degrading into a shithole..

As for Ukraine, you cant win and you will still repay those loans and aids one way or the other...The American capitalists will buy all those farmlands for almost free...

12 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by AmazingELixir: 5:48pm On Sep 07, 2023
lipsrsealed

I wonder if Nigerian civil war was as brutal as this.....One question I asked my teacher back then in primary school concerning the war of 1967 in Nigeria that nearly got me in trouble was...The war fought between the secessionist Biafran Army and Nigerian military was basically an all military affair, why then is the war termed "Nigerian civil war".

My teacher warned me if she hears my voice again I will come and kneel down in front of the class.

Anyways that my teacher of good old days doesn't like me somuch...she thinks I play too much.

Little did she know I liked her because she was pretty and I was constantly out doing myself to impress her....anyways after the incident I respected myself and I turned out well in the long run as a good citizen. grin

3 Likes

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by theophorus(m): 5:48pm On Sep 07, 2023
The Greed of mankind leading to injustice and violence and mayhem.

Let Peace govern your mind and vicinity and Rid your mind of Selfish thoughts and acts.

1 Like

Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by sofeo(m): 5:49pm On Sep 07, 2023
Alright then
Re: US To Give Ukraine $1bn In Aid As Russian Strike Kills At Least 17 by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 07, 2023
Putin is a coward

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Europeans Are drowning Boatloads Of African Migrants in their coasts / Biden Backs Two-State Solution Of Palestine And Isreal / Zimbabwean Minister Promises Lawmakers Luxury SUV's To Pass 2019 Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.