Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege (7570 Views)

Insecurity: 5,758 Youths To Be Trained On Intelligence Gathering In Kaduna ― NPF / UK Parliament Warns: Nigeria Under Buhari Is At Mercy Of Bandits, Terrorists / EFCC Arraigns 5 Sokoto Officials For ₦554 Million Pension Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by treesun: 10:06am On Sep 08, 2023
The security of lives and property in the eastern part of Sokoto State appears to have hit an all-time low as undesirable elements now enjoy free reign in killing, kidnapping, and maiming innocent members of the communities.

Consequently, fear of the unknown has gripped the affected communities, especially those in Isa, Sabon Birni, Rabah, Goronyo, and Illela local council areas of the state, whose natives have been forced to resign their fate in the hands of God.

This is because the people are completely at the mercy of bandits and other criminal elements now roaming the areas freely and daring anyone or group to challenge them.

The new wave of uncertainty now pervading Sokoto East has also resulted in many people not visiting or staying in their native communities, especially against the backdrop of the unwarranted arrests of innocent persons by armed men.

In the latest round of attack unleashed on the area, a flourishing young businessman was brutally shot and killed at close range for reasons not known.

It is a negative development that many of the community members view as premeditated assassination.

Perhaps the only known offence that residents can attribute to the deceased is that he funded the election of a top politician from the state who is currently serving in the National Assembly.

Beyond the slain businessman, many have been kidnapped, tortured and brutally wounded by the bandits in the course of trying to eke out a living either on their farms or on their business premises.

With the escalating level of criminality and violence, all – security agents, farmers, locals, and visitors – have become targets for the terrorists, bandits, kidnappers, and armed robbers, who are not even afraid of the security agents.

In some instances, many soldiers, policemen, and personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, have also been killed since the deadly gangs took over the five council areas of Sokoto State and have continued to attack anyone in sight. Many communities and hamlets across the eastern part of the state have been set ablaze, forcing residents to flee to urban centres where they feel more secure, thus leading to the emergence of more internally displaced persons centres in Sokoto, the state capital.

The residence of the former governor of the state, Attahiru Bafarawa, was once attacked in Bafarawa when bandits forced their way in with the hope of kidnapping the former governor. They killed a policeman in the process.

Following these repeated attacks by bandits, the Olusegun Obasanjo College of Science and Technology in Bafarawa, which was inaugurated by the former president in 2006, has remained under lock and key and deserted despite the heavy investment made by the state government.

The situation is so bad that in Bafarawa district of Sokoto State, bandits openly wield their weapons without any form of challenge by anyone, either in mufti or in uniform.

The upsurge of displaced persons in the capital has also resulted in the conversion of every available uncompleted structure and building into camps, especially for the underaged and children of school age, who have been forced to stop going to school on account of either the death of their parents or kidnapping of the same.

As a result of the relentless attacks, Sokoto has emerged as one of the worst-hit states in the Northern part of Nigeria in the last two years. Barely a month ago, armed men invaded the immigration checkpoint at Mamman Suka village along Sokoto/Illela Road, shot and killed two immigration officers, and wounded four others. They went away with the brutal murders without any confrontation by any security agents. A resident of Isa Town, Alhaji Yusuf Sada, told Arewa Voice that the town had become a recruitment base for bandits because of the presence of ‘countless informants’.

Sada said: “Isa has become a recruiting centre for bandits with a countless number of informants who give details and movements of people to bandits. I am over 60 years old, but the most unfortunate and annoying thing is that I have to sleep with my mother and her grandchildren in the same room for fear of informers who may likely give information that I am in town.

[quote]Imagine, I have to pass my own house and sleep in my mother’s room with the children when I have my own private apartment, just for the sake of fear of unforeseen marauders. I have since relocated to Sokoto, the state capital.”

Due to the fear of bandits and terrorists, who are constantly on the prowl, the 120-kilometre Marnona/Isa Highway has been deserted for over five years now, with citizens of the area taking the risk of crossing over to Zamfara or passing through Sabon Birni, a neighbouring local government, just to stay alive.

Help on the way

But help appears to be on the way for the besieged towns and villages as a retired military officer, Col. Garba Moyi Isa (retd), has begun to clear the bush and make the road more visible to security agents. Col. Isa, a one-time Sokoto commissioner in charge of security, recently sponsored a bush clearing and stone pitching of the abandoned road with a view to giving a clear vision for soldiers and other security operatives on daily patrol of the once busy road.

A top federal public officer from the area is said to have supported Isa’s gesture with N20 million and three vehicles, all in a bid to clear the road and make it more secure for people to use with confidence when travelling.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/insecurity-5-lgas-in-sokoto-under-bandits-terrorists-siege/

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by accordadoga26(f): 10:07am On Sep 08, 2023
Chai..

These reports are troubling.

Security in these LGs should be a top priority.

Let's hope for swift action to ensure the safety of these communities.

Has anyone else noticed that Nairaland has been so peaceful since the Agulu mandate thief lost in the tribunal court?

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by slivertongue: 10:27am On Sep 08, 2023
APC worsened Nigeria's security challenges.

37 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Hikana: 10:47am On Sep 08, 2023
You can imagine what the farmers are passing through in the 5 LGAs
_

7 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Floky215: 10:50am On Sep 08, 2023
treesun:
The security of lives and property in the eastern part of Sokoto State appears to have hit an all-time low as undesirable elements now enjoy free reign in killing, kidnapping, and maiming innocent members of the communities.

Consequently, fear of the unknown has gripped the affected communities, especially those in Isa, Sabon Birni, Rabah, Goronyo, and Illela local council areas of the state, whose natives have been forced to resign their fate in the hands of God.

This is because the people are completely at the mercy of bandits and other criminal elements now roaming the areas freely and daring anyone or group to challenge them.

The new wave of uncertainty now pervading Sokoto East has also resulted in many people not visiting or staying in their native communities, especially against the backdrop of the unwarranted arrests of innocent persons by armed men.

In the latest round of attack unleashed on the area, a flourishing young businessman was brutally shot and killed at close range for reasons not known.

It is a negative development that many of the community members view as premeditated assassination.

Perhaps the only known offence that residents can attribute to the deceased is that he funded the election of a top politician from the state who is currently serving in the National Assembly.

Beyond the slain businessman, many have been kidnapped, tortured and brutally wounded by the bandits in the course of trying to eke out a living either on their farms or on their business premises.

With the escalating level of criminality and violence, all – security agents, farmers, locals, and visitors – have become targets for the terrorists, bandits, kidnappers, and armed robbers, who are not even afraid of the security agents.

In some instances, many soldiers, policemen, and personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, have also been killed since the deadly gangs took over the five council areas of Sokoto State and have continued to attack anyone in sight. Many communities and hamlets across the eastern part of the state have been set ablaze, forcing residents to flee to urban centres where they feel more secure, thus leading to the emergence of more internally displaced persons centres in Sokoto, the state capital.

The residence of the former governor of the state, Attahiru Bafarawa, was once attacked in Bafarawa when bandits forced their way in with the hope of kidnapping the former governor. They killed a policeman in the process.

Following these repeated attacks by bandits, the Olusegun Obasanjo College of Science and Technology in Bafarawa, which was inaugurated by the former president in 2006, has remained under lock and key and deserted despite the heavy investment made by the state government.

The situation is so bad that in Bafarawa district of Sokoto State, bandits openly wield their weapons without any form of challenge by anyone, either in mufti or in uniform.

The upsurge of displaced persons in the capital has also resulted in the conversion of every available uncompleted structure and building into camps, especially for the underaged and children of school age, who have been forced to stop going to school on account of either the death of their parents or kidnapping of the same.

As a result of the relentless attacks, Sokoto has emerged as one of the worst-hit states in the Northern part of Nigeria in the last two years. Barely a month ago, armed men invaded the immigration checkpoint at Mamman Suka village along Sokoto/Illela Road, shot and killed two immigration officers, and wounded four others. They went away with the brutal murders without any confrontation by any security agents. A resident of Isa Town, Alhaji Yusuf Sada, told Arewa Voice that the town had become a recruitment base for bandits because of the presence of ‘countless informants’.

Sada said: “Isa has become a recruiting centre for bandits with a countless number of informants who give details and movements of people to bandits. I am over 60 years old, but the most unfortunate and annoying thing is that I have to sleep with my mother and her grandchildren in the same room for fear of informers who may likely give information that I am in town.

Imagine, I have to pass my own house and sleep in my mother’s room with the children when I have my own private apartment, just for the sake of fear of unforeseen marauders. I have since relocated to Sokoto, the state capital.”

Due to the fear of bandits and terrorists, who are constantly on the prowl, the 120-kilometre Marnona/Isa Highway has been deserted for over five years now, with citizens of the area taking the risk of crossing over to Zamfara or passing through Sabon Birni, a neighbouring local government, just to stay alive.

Help on the way

But help appears to be on the way for the besieged towns and villages as a retired military officer, Col. Garba Moyi Isa (retd), has begun to clear the bush and make the road more visible to security agents. Col. Isa, a one-time Sokoto commissioner in charge of security, recently sponsored a bush clearing and stone pitching of the abandoned road with a view to giving a clear vision for soldiers and other security operatives on daily patrol of the once busy road.

A top federal public officer from the area is said to have supported Isa’s gesture with N20 million and three vehicles, all in a bid to clear the road and make it more secure for people to use with confidence when travelling.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/insecurity-5-lgas-in-sokoto-under-bandits-terrorists-siege/

The only thing they know how to do is to lynch a poor innocent girl cos she is of a different opinion...!!!

They should apply sharia in dealing with the bandits and make sure they carry along matches box to burn their body too...!!!

Nonsense....!!!

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by happney65: 10:54am On Sep 08, 2023
On Bulabalus's wrinkled scrotum they shall stand

Atiku Bagudu don tell una say make you pray to solve insecurity

So pray in Jesus mighty name

Amen!

grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by igwebuike01: 10:55am On Sep 08, 2023
They are teaching Igbos a lesson

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Opanka44(m): 10:56am On Sep 08, 2023
Nowhere is safe in this country. Everyone should be their security at this time. The govt doesn't give a Bleep about the safety of anyone.
God will shield us.

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Floky215: 11:00am On Sep 08, 2023
happney65:
On Bulabalus's wrinkled scrotum they shall stand

Atiku Bagudu don tell una say make you pray to solve insecurity

So pray in Jesus mighty name

Amen!

grin

Pray in Jesus what?

Pray in Jesus name there nah you, petrol and matches go discuss finally...!! grin

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by iwaeda: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2023
treesun:

Imagine, I have to pass my own house and sleep in my mother’s room with the children when I have my own private apartment, just for the sake of fear of unforeseen marauders. I have since relocated to Sokoto, the state capital.”

Help on the way

They are only holding forth. Typical of APC devilish rule, there are press suppression, the evil is much more than this, but people love evil more than good. They demonised GEJ, yet, Buhari plunged Nigeria into disaster, same path Tinubu is treading without restraints. grin grin grin grin grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by treesun: 11:42am On Sep 08, 2023
iwaeda:

They are only holding forth. Typical of APC devilish rule, there are press suppression, the evil is much more than this, but people love evil more than good. They demonised GEJ, yet, Buhari plunged Nigeria into disaster, same path Tinubu is treading without restraints. grin grin grin grin grin
Ask Nlfpmod!
Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Iykopee(m): 11:45am On Sep 08, 2023
That one concern them. All man for himself as it stands.

Who dey die make him die well.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by treesun: 12:37pm On Sep 08, 2023
People can't access their farms in most part of Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by treesun: 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2023
iwaeda:

Very correct!

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by EricSmallz(m): 1:01pm On Sep 08, 2023
Very funny how nobody seems to be doing anything about everything

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by b3llo(m): 1:02pm On Sep 08, 2023
All their Generals, Senior Police and Paramilitary officer with Political leaders have retired to stay in AbJ.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by sofeo(m): 1:02pm On Sep 08, 2023
It will be well with our souls.
Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Donaldoni: 1:03pm On Sep 08, 2023
Maybe they like it that way
Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Hezzyluv: 1:03pm On Sep 08, 2023
I used to like the northern part of this country then. Some even mistake me for an Hausa guy. But now, the fear for North is the reality of this country!

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by GanagiBitrus: 1:05pm On Sep 08, 2023
Oga, pls your attention is needed there...

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Quest7777: 1:06pm On Sep 08, 2023
Where are our python dancers when you need them.

9 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Angelfrost(m): 1:07pm On Sep 08, 2023
...And why exactly is this news?!!!

Why should we be bothered when the nation is undergoing the most progress it has seen since 1960?!!

DSS should arrest those who spread such lies about this great nation.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Skillsnigeria: 1:08pm On Sep 08, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Balistic4: 1:08pm On Sep 08, 2023
Sokoto is a good state, the bandit activity won't last, they should trust jagaban!
He is just 100 days in the office, it takes at least two terms before we start to see changes.
Jagaban till 2090 tongue tongue tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Westerhoffe(m): 1:09pm On Sep 08, 2023
shocked
Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by melonsgroup: 1:09pm On Sep 08, 2023
K
Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by dyera(m): 1:10pm On Sep 08, 2023
Even Sokoto don turn to Borno state.

Banditry is one of the legacies of Buhari. Before Buhari there was no such thing as bandits in the north west or unknown gunmen in the south east.

8 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by adecz: 1:10pm On Sep 08, 2023
undecided

The insecurity in northern Nigeria
has shown that northern leaders are just
a bunch of hypocritical religious bigots
who have nothing to offer their people
apart from using their numerical strength
to gain power at the center just for their
personal selfish & family interests ❗️❗️

The ordinary citizens are considered no
more than the sheep, donkeys and goats
you find walking around all over far northern
Nigeria❗️❗️❗️❎❎❎

In fact the northern elites are more
sympathetic to the bandits and religious
extremists than to the normal law abiding citizens.

What a pity.

5 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by hisexcellency34: 1:10pm On Sep 08, 2023
The bandits are their people. Let them deal with it

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Bbbwings: 1:11pm On Sep 08, 2023
Lol
Anything una see take am like that.
N.a. south dey in power.

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 08, 2023
Damn niggar grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Appeal Court Affirms Bala Mohammed’s Election As Bauchi Governor / Interesting FACTS About Nigerians By Tribes That Will Make You Laugh & Frown / Sanction Violators Of Broadcast Code - Lai Mohammed Orders NBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.