Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,883 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate (5831 Views)

I'm In A Critical Situation, Please Advise A Confused Soul. / As A Fresh Graduate Is Relocating To Canada For Msc Better Than Getting A Job / What Is The Way Forward For A Fresh Graduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Deeeepandholy(m): 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2023
Hello Nairaland,

I am a recent graduate from a reputable federal university in Nigeria, and I have just completed my one-year mandatory national service. It has always been my dream to join the military or any paramilitary organization in Nigeria (joining the DSS is my top preference) however I am unsure of the steps to take. I understand the value of having the right information, especially in our country, and I'm hoping to benefit from the knowledge of fellow Nairalanders to gather relevant information that can assist me and others.

With that in mind, I seek counsel from Nairalanders who possess knowledge about aspects of my career choice that I may not be familiar with. I hold a BSc in Psychology (2:1). I know what I read and I am truly dedicated to this path.

What should I know?
How should I go about it?
When do they start recruitment?
What are the requirements?

Thank you.

Please Note: I am not looking for unethical means to achieve my goal, and constructive criticism is also welcome as long as it is relevant.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Oyindamolah: 7:00pm On Sep 12, 2023
My advice to any fresh graduate is to get certifications. Go get real certifications. I cannot overemphasize the importance of getting certifications. My friends who are HR managers in big Companies tell me they have vacancies. Plenty lot of them. But they rarely get people with the required certifications and couple of years of experience to take them up. For instance, there is a very high demand for Business analysts, HR analysts, Psychologist, therapists, Genetic Counselors and Project managers with CIPM or PMP, PRINCE2 or SIGMA. These certifications don't come cheap but it sets you ahead of others. Also, the startup pay for them is not bad too.

Another option is to acquire IT skills. You can never go wrong with that. Thankfully, with YouTube, you don't have to pay through your nose to get started. Simply search for 'Skill name + tutorials' on YouTube.

Find videos that are over 5 hours long. Take the course religiously. After that, register on Upwork and Freelance to offer your skill there. This is what thousands of 'reasonable' youths are doing to make thousands of dollars month. If you have a smartphone, laptop and access to internet and you are still broke, then your head needs to be checked seriously.
Daz all

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Deeeepandholy(m): 8:23pm On Sep 12, 2023
Oyindamolah:
[/quote]

[quote author= Oyindamolah post=125752377]

I have completed my web design learning journey and was eager to create accounts on both Fiverr and Upwork. But i encountered difficulties while attempting to set up these accounts. I know I can find the help I need by watching YouTube videos, but having someone guide me through the process would be more beneficial. I approached some individuals for assistance, but they insisted that I join their network marketing business instead. I stopped trying since then.
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by kilonshele101(m): 12:27am On Sep 13, 2023
Deeeepandholy:

I have completed my web design learning journey and was eager to create accounts on both Fiverr and Upwork. But i encountered difficulties while attempting to set up these accounts. I know I can find the help I need by watching YouTube videos, but having someone guide me through the process would be more beneficial. I approached some individuals for assistance, but they insisted that I join their network marketing business instead. I stopped trying since then.

Na neo.life people dey always try lure people into network marketing.

You may need to start visiting the website of these paramilitary forces to know when they are recruiting.

6 Likes

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Deeeepandholy(m): 8:34am On Sep 13, 2023
kilonshele101:

Na neo.life people dey always try lure people into network marketing.

You may need to start visiting the website of these paramilitary forces to know when they are recruiting.

Thank you sir
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by pocohantas(f): 11:57am On Sep 13, 2023
I hold a BSc in Psychology (2:1). I know what I read and I am truly dedicated to this path.

Na Mindlog fit advise you.

The rest of us would tell you your course is useless or say make you learn Programming.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by olasunky15(m): 12:00pm On Sep 13, 2023
Data Analysis. The earlier the better. Thank me later.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by olasunky15(m): 12:00pm On Sep 13, 2023
I train people on data analysis(power bi, sql, tableau, excel etc.) at an affordable fee. 6 consecutive weeks. U won’t be a pro after the training oo, not even in 6 months, or a year. But you ll be employable. Yes! You will ace ur interviews. Chat me up /h1n927
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by nkemoma(m): 12:01pm On Sep 13, 2023
Learn a skill.. start a business and keep working on your personal growth

1 Like

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Pastor137(m): 12:01pm On Sep 13, 2023
Good day Nairalanders. Please I need help from anyone instead of dying in silence. 2 days ago, Nepa people came to my shop and cut the light, reason is I didn't pay the last months bill and they have also brought this months bill which i haven't paid too which is true as I couldn't afford it as I had spent quite a sum on my ill health ( migraine headache turned to something else) I remember posting it here sometime ago.

Why posted this is because I need help to offset the NEPA bill. They said I should pay atleast 10k before they could reconnect which I can't afford right now. Would have called some street guys to help reconnect but they took the wires too. I don't know what to do again as I have no other source of income.

Less I forget it's a barbing salon, I can't also afford to fuel the generator too cos of high fuel price so that has been ruled out too.

Modified: Account number: 07 25 00 93 40

Bank Name : access bank

I'm open for a loan of 20k too. Will give my generator as collateral. (Picture included)

I'm based in Abakaliki. Ebonyi state

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by DyingFetus: 12:02pm On Sep 13, 2023
Become a teacher and groom young bitches
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by checky619: 12:05pm On Sep 13, 2023
I once got an offer to join the DSS in 2020, I gladly declined when i got some information about them. Before joining know these few things, you won’t be able to resign after being recruited, you won’t be able to have access to your international passport unless it’s an international assignment which they don’t really go for, you won’t have a free life of your own for the rest of your life even your neighbors will be investigated and your movement, there is no retirement age also, but the job comes with a lot of benefits and immunity. But if you’re down for that type of job then go for it or join the military instead. I know many people doing the job. Good luck

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by doggedfighter(f): 12:05pm On Sep 13, 2023
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by doggedfighter(f): 12:06pm On Sep 13, 2023
pocohantas:

The rest of us would tell you your course is useless or say make you learn Programming.

grin grin grin

We never tire for that IT talk.

Pocohantas, looks like today is your work free day .
Seeing you commenting at this time makes me think so.
Seems that's the only advice here.
Na all of us go be tech bros /sis grin
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by ednut1(m): 12:13pm On Sep 13, 2023
You better use your 2.1 to target accounting firms or banks. Without connections how you wan enter dss

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by qanda: 12:15pm On Sep 13, 2023
Nestle job test past questions and answers are available on Q and A App.

Install the App on Playstore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by akwesenana: 12:15pm On Sep 13, 2023
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by TongueTwista(m): 12:19pm On Sep 13, 2023
Pastor137:
Good day Nairalanders. Please I need help from anyone instead of dying in silence. 2 days ago, Nepa people came to my shop and cut the light, reason is I didn't pay the last months bill and they have also brought this months bill which i haven't paid too which is true as I couldn't afford it as I had spent quite a sum on my ill health ( migraine headache turned to something else) I remember posting it here sometime ago.

Why posted this is because I need help to offset the NEPA bill. They said I should pay atleast 10k before they could reconnect which I can't afford right now. Would have called some street guys to help reconnect but they took the wires too. I don't know what to do again as I have no other source of income.

Less I forget it's a barbing salon, I can't also afford to fuel the generator too cos of high fuel price so that has been ruled out too.

I'm open for a loan of 20k too. Will give my generator as collateral. (Picture included)

If I answer you wetin dey my mind bros, you fit place curse on me!

1 Like

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by oyeb15: 12:20pm On Sep 13, 2023
Sell your father's land or house and japa or do yahoo.
The amount of black soap you will bath with in order not to get sack in private company, u won't bath half to succeed in yahoo.

2 Likes

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Obasempiree(m): 12:21pm On Sep 13, 2023
Deeeepandholy:
Hello Nairaland,

I am a recent graduate from a reputable federal university in Nigeria, and I have just completed my one-year mandatory national service. It has always been my dream to join the military or any paramilitary organization in Nigeria (joining the DSS is my top preference) however I am unsure of the steps to take. I understand the value of having the right information, especially in our country, and I'm hoping to benefit from the knowledge of fellow Nairalanders to gather relevant information that can assist me and others.

With that in mind, I seek counsel from Nairalanders who possess knowledge about aspects of my career choice that I may not be familiar with. I hold a BSc in Psychology (2:1). I know what I read and I am truly dedicated to this path.

What should I know?

Thank you.

Please Note: I am not looking for unethical means to achieve my goal, and constructive criticism is also welcome as long as it is relevant.

Best advice for u is to learn a Skill. Forget about ur 2.1 or course you studied, learn something that can help you make money on ur own even if u eventually get into any of these agencies it will really help you in the side. Skills like web development, data analysis, ui/ux etc..

2 Likes

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by dirolad(m): 12:21pm On Sep 13, 2023
Visit those agencies offices and ask about thier recruitment process and requirements. You are a step closer to working there. Don't sleep and wake up hoping without any physical activity in order to achieve some.

3 Likes

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by dirolad(m): 12:22pm On Sep 13, 2023
Deeeepandholy:
Hello Nairaland,

What should I know?

Thank you.

Visit those agencies offices and ask about thier recruitment process and requirements. You are a step closer to working there. Don't sleep and wake up hoping without any physical activity in order to achieve some.

1 Like

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Pastor137(m): 12:22pm On Sep 13, 2023
TongueTwista:

If I answer you wetin dey my mind bros, you fit place curse on me!
I'm eager to hear what's on your mind bro.
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by TongueTwista(m): 12:23pm On Sep 13, 2023
OP,
Go and pursue a Masters in Criminology. You can get a flexible study plan with the Open Univeristy, and you'll have that certificate ready in less than 16 months. That's realistically the only way you can make a decent living pursuing a Nigerian career in your field of study.

Otherwise, find 100K come make I show you where you go dey buy sound "Igbo" for Kaduna make you for dey supply for Abuja. At least with your psychological know-how, you'll know how to avoid law enforcement agents and how best to locate your target market.

1 Like

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Pharmacy24: 12:23pm On Sep 13, 2023
Nice. Check this site.

1 Like

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Nice2023(m): 12:30pm On Sep 13, 2023
grin
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Diligents111: 12:39pm On Sep 13, 2023
Good
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by jojothaiv(m): 12:43pm On Sep 13, 2023
It's the disclaimer for me.

I wish you best of luck.

After going through the first page, e be like tech bros we go dey see soon o.
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by jojothaiv(m): 12:45pm On Sep 13, 2023
pocohantas:

😂😂😂😂

The programming advice don dey show face.

2 Likes

Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by FaithBrain1994(m): 12:46pm On Sep 13, 2023
olasunky15:
I train people on data analysis(power bi, sql, tableau, excel etc.) at an affordable fee. 6 consecutive weeks. U won’t be a pro after the training oo, not even in 6 months, or a year. But you ll be employable. Yes! You will ace ur interviews. Chat me up /h1n927

How do we get talking? I'm interested.
Re: Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate by Anselemchi(m): 1:01pm On Sep 13, 2023
Pastor137:

Which part of Abakaliki are you I will send someone to u , let me be sure because IBE is not Ebonyi name

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Go And Work In The Uk? / Nigerian College Of Aviation Interview Questions / Developer Salary In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.