Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,716 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? (7633 Views)

Traditionally, It Is Considered That It Is Difficult To Do Business In Our Count / Learn Software Development Without Quitting Your Day Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:41pm On Sep 14, 2023
I dont care for some social media, especially the me me one, i prefer to be unknown. grin grin

Since family became connected on Facebook, i dont feel free to write what i want.

And I dont want to care about other peoples personal lives, so dumped Facebook.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by ednut1(m): 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2023
I only use nairaland, instagram. Twitter and facebook once in a while. I don’t think it’s possible to quit social media these days
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:46pm On Sep 14, 2023
It built to be addictive, but i prioritize my time and try to make it useful for me. nairaland for me, is useful to understand human beings especially the Nigerian human being, i love to understand people.

I remember that first time Facebook came, we all wanted to be the latest commenter, with the most intriguing comment and the likes makes one feel good, Lo.

From my studies of the Nigerian Human being, they can be quite fascinating

Good qualities are
1) Resilient
2) suffering and smiling
3) confidence
4) Hopeful
5) Smart
6) Healthy Pride

Bad qualities
1) Confidence in foolishness
2) Argumentative, trying to win arguments, even if it waste their time.
3) Trying to inflict psychological pains.
4) Japa syndrome, (maybe not bad, maybe i am ignorant)
5) Highly Superstitious, cannot genuinely love (Lo, how do i connect the two, rather, due to ignorance, they easily drift to superstitions, it may not be a healthy preoccupation of the mind).
6) Will justify negative attitudes, due to self centeredness ( finally i think i nailed this one, not sure though)

Its been fun, getting to really know our people. It could be helpful in administration too and in daily living. Every Social media has its positive and negative, just try to maximize the positives. grin grin

ednut1:
I only use nairaland, instagram. Twitter and facebook once in a while. I don’t think it’s possible to quit social media these days
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by eepeepook: 12:46pm On Sep 14, 2023
I need to recheck the definition of social media. YouTube has me hooked. Nairaland is an outlet to type rubbish. WhatsApp is where I disturb friends and potential dates. Nothing else concerns me.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Sweetvie: 12:50pm On Sep 14, 2023
Yeah. I'm left with only Whatsapp and I have stopped posting on my status for years now. Na nairaland remain grin
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by millionboi2: 12:50pm On Sep 14, 2023
Sophier:

You're so beautiful princess!!! Please come and be mine! kiss
I'm a cute yoruba boy baby!
and you are shamelessly using a female moniker.....#Shame.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Little21: 12:51pm On Sep 14, 2023
Oyindamolah:
Even I did the same a few weeks ago, maybe a month ago. I finally had to let go because I realised something. It was killing my individuality, me being different from others, me being unique. I was tired of entertaining people by being someone else who I'm not and never can be. I was tired of posing to get more likes on my pictures just like everyone else does. I was tired of taking a picture first and then eating the food that had been served in front of me. I was tired of seeing nature through the eyes of the camera's lens. I was tired of begging to people to give me attention. I was tired of flexing every new thing I just bought. I was tired of looking good by editing my pictures and applying filters. I was tired of hiding behind a screen just to talk to my classmates. I was tired of portraying myself as the happiest or the coolest or the saddest or the most suicidal guy next door. I just wanted to be me. To do things that make me stand out.

Ask yourself, how many likes did you get when you posted your first profile photo posing like a weirdo, and how many likes did you get after applying some filters and posing like everyone else? See the difference, you, me, all of us are acting, adjusting, trying to fit in this social society where people will only like to see and hear you if you are upto their standards which they call being “cool”. Seriously I really feel bad for people who crave attention, who think their online so called friends actually care for them, who get “depressed” or “sad” if they don't have enough likes or followers, who are extroverts on social media and introverts in real life, who do not understand the idiom “Everything that glitters is not gold”, who think thaT writing speeches about women being unsafe sitting behind a screen will solve the problem, who can go to the heights of posting half naked pictures, alcohol/hookah/weed/cigarette pictures, and musical.ly videos. WHEN WILL THEY UNDERSTAND THAT NONE OF THESE PEOPLE CARE IF YOU ARE ALIVE OR DEAD, NO ONE GIVES A DAMN ABOUT YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA PERSONA.

And finally, I had to quit by deleting my profiles from Facebook and Instagram. And I will come back soon to these platforms, but this time with a blue tick beside my name.

Congrats on your new real life where you can be YOU
You are right.. you just have to keep trying for people too notice you and no matter what you do, people don't care. They only see what they want to see.
The most real people aren't on social media. It's good too be real in reality than trying too be real, on social media when no one seems to care. I'm not on any social platforms. I only use WhatsApp cuz that seems a bit real, cuz you talk to people you know than talking too some online people you call your friend's, that aren't really your friends. They just deem you cool. If you are in the same level as theirs. If you are not, then you are not qualified to be their " so called friend". That's just the world we live in. Everyone is trying to get attention. If you are not the one for all the social media life. They see you as a "boring person". I would rather be called a "boring person" than living a life, that isn't real. I would rather be myself. Than being someone else.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:53pm On Sep 14, 2023
smiley
Little21:

You are right.. you just have to keep trying for people too notice you and no matter what you do, people don't care. They only see what they want to see.
The most real people aren't on social media. It's good too be real in reality than trying too be real, on social media when no one seems to care. I'm not on any social platforms. I only use WhatsApp cuz that seems a bit real, cuz you talk to people you know than talking too some online people you call your friend's, that aren't really your friends. They just deem you cool. If you are in the same level as theirs. If you are not, then you are not qualified to be their " so called friend". That's just the world we live in. Everyone is trying to get attention. If you are not the one for all the social media life. They see you as a "boring person". I would rather be called a "boring person" than living a life, that isn't real. I would rather be myself. Than being someone else.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Reviestimes: 1:06pm On Sep 14, 2023
Thanks for sharing your thought.. kitchen remodeling Chicago Home Remodeling Chicago.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Reviestimes: 1:09pm On Sep 14, 2023
Yes, I have considered quitting social media. I am aware of the potential negative effects of social media use, such as increased anxiety, depression, and loneliness. I am also aware of the ways in which social media can be used to spread misinformation and disinformation. The Reviews Times Fire Safety Tree Maintenance
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by jojothaiv(m): 1:15pm On Sep 14, 2023
As a graduate of classics and philosophy, I do imagine my life without things that most people consider important, this have made me live my life better, is it phone, music, sex, alcohol, money and the rest, I try to see how I can live without them.

Back to the OP, I've done that time without numbers. Once in a while I do take intermittent breaks from SM, delete all the apps and stay away from phone.

The longest I've gone in recent times is a year.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Whalis: 1:23pm On Sep 14, 2023
post=125786330:

We understand better now.
You may be right.
We can relate.
Thanks
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Fortas: 1:45pm On Sep 14, 2023
I've considered doing so time without number , I guess I've not gotten the drive to go on this well deserved break.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Hanndye: 1:56pm On Sep 14, 2023
IconicR:
I don't even use so many of these other social media account
Na nairaland be my number one, it's private and I can do and undo and behave anyhow I like here.
I'll definitely quit social media soon
I think I like your stand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Hanndye: 1:59pm On Sep 14, 2023
Sophier:

Since when did you become a boy? And what is so special about being a Yoruba?
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Oyindamolah: 2:02pm On Sep 14, 2023
wink
Little21:

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 2:05pm On Sep 14, 2023
Presently, I use only nairaland.i am not a job seeker anymore.i love what I do for money.i no care about making new friends.so I only use nairaland now.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Sammy5413(m): 2:31pm On Sep 14, 2023
Never
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by caesymore(m): 2:53pm On Sep 14, 2023
Jennyclay:
I will literally fall sick if I stay a minute without social media. I can’t even imagine quitting social media.

Wow, you need to work on that baby girl, that's what have been messing with your brain.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by sheDD(m): 3:18pm On Sep 14, 2023
Smile4mee01:
If you are a youth, you are probabaly on one or two social media platforms.i.e Instagram , Facebook, Tik tok, twitter etc I rarely watch TV these days.

I recently saw the hours I spent on each social media app last week and was concerned. Just like dopamine, it's becoming irresistible to surf the internet doing nothing.

It does appear to me SM especially IG, tik tok is saturated with scantily Dressed women seeking attention, some just dancing away. Low budget bloggers pasting thier opinion on every matter, some giving advice to people not seeking it. Not so funny skits, after which you watch it you regret wasting your data. The desire to trend at all cost. As in it's kinda endless

If you spend 24hrs/day with free wifi it's not enough to view the content being pushed out daily. Are we losing focus on what's important and helping these influencers and skit makers to relevance.

I even heard of a student who quit university to join Onlyfans.

Before you come at me, I know there has been some good from social media but the opportunity cost with respect to time on those app is alarming.

Please for those who have quit social media, Has your life been better for it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10557855/amp/Uni-dropout-25-quit-degree-OnlyFans-reveals-2MILLION.html

mostly on nairaland
But is nairaland a social media??

I only got whatsapp and only login to Facebook rarely spend up to 45mins there. Infact Facebook z not on my phone like this.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by MySolace: 4:00pm On Sep 14, 2023
Leggodeals:
Your problem is not social media. You are struggling with lust. Go to YouTube and listen to grace preachers like Joseph Prince. You will be grateful you did
Tried listening to him, but it seemed like a fairytales. Maybe cos am not too religious.
Listened to Andrew Wommack too.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by DigitB: 4:18pm On Sep 14, 2023
Jennyclay:
I will literally fall sick if I stay a minute without social media. I can’t even imagine quitting social media.

Of course. Every useless bịtch is obsessed with SM
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by DigitB: 4:29pm On Sep 14, 2023
OP we're on the same page.

The worst of them is FB and IG. I am not on TikTok.

I had these same feeling as you last year. Led me to delete my old FB and old IG account. Then I created a new one. You can't really do away with those SM. Then I cleaned my twitter. I also changed my WhatsApp number.

With my new FB and IG account I only follow those with similar interests—fashion designing and Tech.

Facebook algorithm is sinister and very fụcked up. After creating my new account, those bástàrds suggest mostly accounts with almost naked women as profile picture for me to add as friends. They surely want us to waste countless hours on their site.

I created my new FB account with fake name, I only use it for really important stuffs.

Facebook accessed my contacts without my permission. They've been suggesting my contacts to me to add up as new FB friends.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Gamesmart: 4:58pm On Sep 14, 2023
Jennyclay:

Na wa o!
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Gamesmart: 4:59pm On Sep 14, 2023
Leggodeals:
Your problem is not social media. You are struggling with lust. Go to YouTube and listen to grace preachers like Joseph Prince. You will be grateful you did

Listen to who? Waste of one's life.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by highness25(m): 5:02pm On Sep 14, 2023
Sophier:

Honestly i really don't mind, this babe is so damn clean and beautiful mehn!!!! tongue
If you like reason how clean a girl is, you go cry tire. Because of how a girl I met some time ago was so clean everywhere, I ate her without protection, next morning, Gono straight. I know how much I spent for treatment then. Be careful bro. These holes ain't the way they look

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Sirmwill: 7:28pm On Sep 14, 2023
Rayban25:

Be like you wan catch HIV / syphilis

Dear Simpson

How are you doing...
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Sep 14, 2023
Sirmwill:

Dear Simpson

How are you doing...

i think youre quoting the wrong person.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Sirmwill: 7:29pm On Sep 14, 2023
Domistar5:
Nope.
Am not addicted. I have so much control over it. I don't even have tiktok and twitter app on my phone. I rarely visit Facebook and Instagram.
I usually visit nairaland often to read news and comment once in a while. Though this forum is toxic, I try to focus more on the positive than the negative. Regular member on Reddit, Quora and BHW .
And lastly I love YouTube.

Never thought of quitting. I love the way I rule over it.

Wow
This is soooooo me

🥲

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Sirmwill: 7:31pm On Sep 14, 2023
Sophier:

Mr Simpson

How did I quote someone else 😅

How are you doing... 😊
Re: Have You Ever Considered Quitting Social Media? by Sirmwill: 7:32pm On Sep 14, 2023
Rayban25:

i think youre quoting the wrong person.

Yeah

I did
Sorry 🥲

Who knows, you may just be another Simpson 😏🌝

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Force "website" / Share Your SEO Experience / How Old Was Your Blog Before Adsense Was Approved?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.