Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,378 members, 7,812,102 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Libya: The Re-colonization Of An African State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Libya: The Re-colonization Of An African State (696 Views)

Nigeria Labour Union Protests Morroco's Colonization Of Western Sahara. / Enslavement, AFRICOM And The Re-colonization Of Africa / Neo-Colonization Of Africa: US Battles China; Clinton Draws First Blood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Libya: The Re-colonization Of An African State by oyanwumi: 5:08am On Oct 18, 2011
It is the good fortune of many to live distant from the scene of sorrow; the evil is not sufficiently brought to their doors to make them feel the precariousness with which their property is possessed.” Thomas Paine
I regard as unfortunate all that has occurred in the North African state of Libya, and I declare illegal the present occupation of the once-free nation by rebel war lords backed by insidious neo-colonialist western forces. This aforementioned statement represents my personal view and stance on the Libyan-crisis and the forceful eviction of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.

I do not in any way support the tyrannical manner with which Muammar Gaddafi ruled his people; neither will I support the hideous attempt by the imperialist West to impinge on the Sovereignty of a State. The urgency with which Sarkozy, Cameron and Robert Gates went around with papers conducting secretarial duties for the United Nations was quite amazing also, and one could easily have forgotten that Libya was entrenched inside the African continent. One cannot also ignore the expedient manner with which heavy arms and artilleries where moved into the African state; I only hoped this expediency had been employed in the Darfur crisis that lingered for more than a decade and the current Kordofan crisis in South Sudan, maybe that region would have been calmer by now. But of course, there were no altruistic intentions in this invasion of Africa, and only the plundering of the oil reserves of Libya kept the Western forces going.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/freekick/2011/oct/18/freekick-18-10-2011-002.html.

One of the articles from the U.N. Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples (14 Dec 1960) reads; "All States shall observe faithfully and strictly the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the present Declaration on the basis of equality, non-interference in the internal affairs of all States, and respect for the sovereign rights of all peoples and their territorial integrity." I really wonder where France missed out the part about 'non-interference in the internal affairs of all states' before it decided to sponsor a coup d'état against a legitimate regime and the free people of Libya? The most devious form of Tyrants always find ways to selectively interpret laid down laws to achieve their sinister aims, and justice can NEVER be truly dispensed with selective application of the law.

Very much unlike Iraq and Afghanistan before it, Libya had a more stable socio-economical atmosphere and there was hardly any broken spot on hedge for the western serpent to creep in. Like a fox seeking to feast on a bird locked in a cage, the West kept circling Libya with keen preying eyes, watching, waiting for the any opportunity to pounce on the richest oil state in Africa. One cannot help but hypothesize that the so-called Arab Revolution that began in Algeria last year was all a carefully planned plot that was intended to end in the seizure of Libya! One cannot understand how the UN Resolution 1973 which sought to simply implement a 'no-fly zone' quickly turned into a 'regime change' campaign. Was NATO's involvement in this crisis not clearly defined from the onset as a neutral 'civilian-protection' operation and not a mercenary-styled, rebel-backing offense against the legitimate government of a sovereign state? The sovereignty of the Libyan state was never in contention, there was no call from any group seeking secession, but just an internal uprising from certain sections of the citizenry intoxicated with the adrenaline that shoots off from just watching the Egyptian, Yemeni and Syrian youths fight rowdily against their own governments.

It is the duty of any responsible government to protect the citizens from external and internal aggression, and clearly Colonel Muammar Gaddafi was doing the later. I did not see any NATO tanks and fighter jets heading into Darfur when clearly Omar Bashir was killing the Sudanese people! I do not see Sarkozy running around like a man whose wife is in the labor-room as Syrian leader Bashir Al Assad continues to crackdown violently against the dissenting voices in the country. Simple, the west is in deep economic crisis and placing their hands on Libya's several oil wealth would no doubt ease the pressure on their books.

I cannot help but compare the economic status of Nigeria to that of Post-Imperialist anarchy Libya and wonder to myself what moral right this sheepish government has to denounce Gaddafi's government? According to the CIA Factbook, as at 2009, Libya was producing 22 million Megawatts of electricity as against the meager 3,500 Megawatts that is being celebrated at Aso rock. Libya had over 77% of the Adult male population gainfully employed and inflation rate well below 3% and it's GDP per-capita stood at $14,000 at December 2010 as against $2500 GDP per-capita and 13.8% inflation rate for Nigeria.

Libya had enough economic sanctions placed on it to cripple it, yet it still fended for its people! Nigeria has practically no embargo, produces just a little below the same quantity of Crude oil produced by Libya, But has absolutely no regard for its citizens, and through corruption keeps them in a perpetual state of poverty (Over 70% of Nigerians live below the poverty line)! What international moral right does Nigeria even have to make any comment on the Libyan issue? For me the answer is none!!! Whilst the other scavengers at least have some profitable albeit sinister reason for aligning with a rebel group, Nigeria is only jerking to the master's whistle. I salute the courage of countries like Zimbabwe, Ghana, South Africa and Venezuela for seeing past the charade of NATO's 'citizen protection' crusade cum regime change.
I look a few years into the future of this once prosperous African state and behold the seething inter-tribe conflict that would be ravaging it!

(1) (Reply)

Cbn, Phcn, Others Abandon 500 Containers At Ports / Who Has Made Nigerians Happy &sad The Most In The Last 25years? / Prepare For Bloody Revolution, Acf Chieftain Tells Northern Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.