Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,098 members, 7,814,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing (572 Views)

Cost Efficiency_ The Financial Benefits Of Adopting A Saas Development Framework / Elearning Website Development: Top 12 Tips For Creating A Successful Marketplace / Take Your Web Development Skill/Career To The Next Level By Creating A Web App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by codingdude: 12:40pm On Sep 15, 2023
Hey guys. Which one do you think is better or which one do you prefer?

I have tried my hand on freelancing but the pay here is too low. SaaS on the other hand seems to require money to make.
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by kristian98(m): 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2023
Easy to get started with freelancing than saas.
Saas can be difficult especially when you don’t have the monetary resources. I’ve been wondering how fresh startup companies raise money from investors. I started a company but funding is an issue
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by airsaylongcome: 2:14pm On Sep 15, 2023
kristian98:
Saas can be difficult especially when you don’t have the monetary resources. I’ve been wondering how fresh startup companies raise money from investors. I started a company but funding is an issue

Even with funding and technical know-how, SaaS is still inherently difficult. You have to have a product that people want. And provide it in a way that people will be happy to use your offering over others providing the same offering

1 Like

Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by YoungCabal: 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2023
codingdude:
Hey guys. Which one do you think is better or which one do you prefer?

I have tried my hand on freelancing but the pay here is too low. SaaS on the other hand seems to require money to make.
Do both
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by online4business: 3:08pm On Sep 15, 2023
Use your freelancer income to bootstrap the saas however.

Make sure you are freelancing in the same vertical so you can easily get the needed connect form partnership etc.

Freelance you are trading time for money, but sass you've reoccurring income.

I tend to stay away from one time income.

Think about equity not income.
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by qtguru(m): 3:45pm On Sep 15, 2023
I've built both, SaaS and freelance are the same effort of work, only difference is revenue model.
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by Karleb(m): 8:01pm On Sep 15, 2023
qtguru:
I've built both, SaaS and freelance are the same effort of work, only difference is revenue model.

You built for yourself or a company?
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by qtguru(m): 8:24pm On Sep 15, 2023
Karleb:

You built for yourself or a company?

A company
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by Karleb(m): 8:27pm On Sep 15, 2023
qtguru:

A company

But why didn't you build for yourself tho.

I mean, you have all the experience, both in development and management.
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by qtguru(m): 8:39pm On Sep 15, 2023
Karleb:

But why didn't you build for yourself tho.

I mean, you have all the experience, both in development and management.

Thinking of a product is hard and executing, you have to sit down and plan what to sell. They have the name and are in the US, but I'm building something thats Sass like on Shopify.

1 Like

Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by codingdude: 11:05pm On Sep 15, 2023
kristian98:

Been hearing its better for a startup to be self funded or bootstrap
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by codingdude: 11:07pm On Sep 15, 2023
online4business:
Use your freelancer income to bootstrap the saas however.

Make sure you are freelancing in the same vertical so you can easily get the needed connect form partnership etc.

Freelance you are trading time for money, but sass you've reoccurring income.

I tend to stay away from one time income.

Think about equity not income.

Getting clients here has been difficult not to talk of high paying clients. Someone actually expected me to build a website free of charge for the first year
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by kristian98(m): 7:33pm On Sep 16, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Even with funding and technical know-how, SaaS is still inherently difficult. You have to have a product that people want. And provide it in a way that people will be happy to use your offering over others providing the same offering
Teach me how to get funding.
Any idea?
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by bassdow: 12:35pm On Sep 23, 2023
qtguru:

Thinking of a product is hard and executing, you have to sit down and plan what to sell. They have the name and are in the US, but I'm building something thats Sass like on Shopify.

Most don't know Having the talent / being good with Computers, doesn't mean one would often be good coming up with IDEAs, or even Marketing sef.

Look at big time development houses, they ain't one-Man show.

They either partner, or employ extra knowledge.

there are those who are good with coming up with Ideas, there are those good with amplifying things, there are those good at convincing people to either invest, or buy the product/service, etc. That you wrote the BEST codes, which might solve the BEST challenging task, doesn't mean you would be good at marketing it.

but what one could do is, create a SAAS around or somewhat similar to the services you freelance, then market it to your clients (wether 1-time or rePeat clients). Hopefully should such take traction, you use it as stepping stone.

For instance, in pSquare, there were 3 main people involved. when the one who was good with Singing choose to sing alone, what happened ? How successful did He become ? How many contracts or whatever did He win ? how many people loved Him like before ?

Among pSquare, there's one who's very good singing, but didn't really have as much FANs as the one who was good dancing. What about the other that was more active behind the scenes ?

There's power in partnership.

Issue be say we africans want to be God.

Look at lebanese, China, Indians who have factories in Nigeria, they know how to make lots of mponey paying so llitle.

The one who has a factory that also contains a wareHouse, knows how to subLet a part of it or partner with another to manuctuure more than 2 goods, etc. and you hardly would hear a conflict among them.

But for Nigeria, common to dey contribute 20% of the rent , person wey dey live rentFree with you (probably begged to stay and move out within 2-weeks) would want you to Feed, and supply his/her miscelenous living expenses such as soap money sef
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by bassdow: 12:40pm On Sep 23, 2023
codingdude:

Been hearing its better for a startup to be self funded or bootstrap

I personally never like Borrowing or whatever funny synonyms you chose to call it.

issue is, the lender / investor wants their ROI or their money back after a certain time. While what you used the money for, might need more time to begin making returns.

Now you would be on hotSeat trying to make things that needed 6-months, materialize withing 2-months.

That equally woul affect level of concentration. ecause there often are consequencies when you're unable to payBack and you're trying to avoid such.

As for me, I rather start very small, and move at ma own pace, than start average level, and have sleepless nights.
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by bassdow: 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2023
codingdude:

Getting clients here has been difficult not to talk of high paying clients. Someone actually expected me to build a website free of charge for the first year

That's mostly Nigerian Clients. Possibly, from nairaLand sef
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by bassdow: 6:25pm On Sep 23, 2023
airsaylongcome:

issue is, most programmers, who are good , are more or less nerds. They lack the business mindset. Have seen those who don't know 10% (I'm not exaggerating), but are making a whole lot more money than I do.

Rather than spend time coding always, better employ or outsource it and focus on getting more (repeat) clients.
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by BlackhatMentor: 8:52pm On Sep 23, 2023
Mostly Nerds, Geeks and Dorks here

Learn how to partner

Will make your Saas journey easier

Nigerian schools never teach collaboration

Spits
Re: Creating A Saas Vs Freelancing by LikeAking: 11:47pm On Sep 25, 2023
bassdow:

Most don't know Having the talent / being good with Computers, doesn't mean one would often be good coming up with IDEAs, or even Marketing sef.

Look at big time development houses, they ain't one-Man show.

They either partner, or employ extra knowledge.

there are those who are good with coming up with Ideas, there are those good with amplifying things, there are those good at convincing people to either invest, or buy the product/service, etc. That you wrote the BEST codes, which might solve the BEST challenging task, doesn't mean you would be good at marketing it.

but what one could do is, create a SAAS around or somewhat similar to the services you freelance, then market it to your clients (wether 1-time or rePeat clients). Hopefully should such take traction, you use it as stepping stone.

For instance, in pSquare, there were 3 main people involved. when the one who was good with Singing choose to sing alone, what happened ? How successful did He become ? How many contracts or whatever did He win ? how many people loved Him like before ?

Among pSquare, there's one who's very good singing, but didn't really have as much FANs as the one who was good dancing. What about the other that was more active behind the scenes ?

There's power in partnership.

Issue be say we africans want to be God.

Wisdom!

Look at lebanese, China, Indians who have factories in Nigeria, they know how to make lots of mponey paying so llitle.

The one who has a factory that also contains a wareHouse, knows how to subLet a part of it or partner with another to manuctuure more than 2 goods, etc. and you hardly would hear a conflict among them.

But for Nigeria, common to dey contribute 20% of the rent , person wey dey live rentFree with you (probably begged to stay and move out within 2-weeks) would want you to Feed, and supply his/her miscelenous living expenses such as soap money sef

(1) (Reply)

You Will Be Suprised By This !!! Check Out / * / Pls Who Is Coding With Vb In Vb.net,i Need Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.