Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,431 members, 7,815,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Currency Can Be Strengthened By Tying Into A Commodity??? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Currency Can Be Strengthened By Tying Into A Commodity??? (542 Views)

Independence Day: Price Of Commodity In October 2022 Vs October 2023 / Buhari's Government Strengthened Boko Haram By Paying Ransoms - Obasanjo / Reno Omokri Comment About Photo Of Dolapo Osinbajo Tying Aisha Buhari's Headgear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Currency Can Be Strengthened By Tying Into A Commodity??? by KnowAll(m): 9:26am On Sep 21, 2023
greatfucker:

How will 1naira then equate to 4 dollars pls explain to me like a kid

The price of a barrel of oil is $97.00, that means u would need 97 units of American money to buy a barrel of oil. It means if our currency is tied to a barrel of oil it means, if I was going to exchange a good it is either I give you one Naira or which would be = 1 barrel of oil.

But because our currency would be too strong can you imagine 1Naira = 97 dollars we devalue our Naira by say 4 = 1 Naira = 24 dollars, it was 20 dollars last week when the price of a barrel of oil was $80.00

That is why I said their should be huge storages of barrels of oil for which every Naira is backed on.

Instead of giving states Naira notes give them barrels of oil as allocation and they can do what they want with it.

This is what would make our currency strong.
Re: Currency Can Be Strengthened By Tying Into A Commodity??? by KnowAll(m): 9:29am On Sep 21, 2023
U can imagine a state like katsina saying we have not got dollars but we have 200,000 barrels of oil. U do the maths.
Re: Currency Can Be Strengthened By Tying Into A Commodity??? by greatfucker: 6:30am On Sep 22, 2023
KnowAll:

The price of a barrel of oil is $97.00, that means u would need 97 units of American money to buy a barrel of oil. It means if our currency is tied to a barrel of oil it means, if I was going to exchange a good it is either I give you one Naira or which would be = 1 barrel of oil.

But because our currency would be too

strong can you imagine 1Naira = 97 dollars we devalue our Naira by say 4 = 1 Naira = 24 dollars, it was 20 dollars last week when the price of a barrel of oil was $80.00

That is why I said their should be huge storages of barrels of oil for which every Naira is backed on.

Instead of giving states Naira notes give them barrels of oil as allocation and they can do what they want with it.

This is what would make our currency strong.

Wow thanks for the explanation,then I don't know wat is stopping the government from doing so

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is APC using local media to falsely authente Tinubu's Released Academic Records? / Ikolaba Grammar School Alumni Congratulate Cjn’s Son Over Appointment  As Federa / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.