Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa (1543 Views)

Meet Nigerian Heroes That Fought Gallantly To Give Us Peace During The Civil War / Boko Haram Terrorists Fleeing From Soldiers During A Fierce Battle Yesterday / Buhari & Joshua Gin Looking At A Rifle Seized From Biafran Soldiers In Awka 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Curious346: 11:59am On Sep 16, 2023
During the Biafran war, there was no official support for the Biafran Army by any nation throughout the war. So to improve their chances of winning the war, foreign mercenaries were employed by Biafra to help fight for the cause.
Below are 7 notable Mercenaries that fought alongside Biafran soldiers during the Nigerian civil war.

1. COLONEL ROLF STEINER
Colonel Steiner was a German-born ex-Foreign Legion sergeant who spent most of his life fighting.
He came into Biafra in 1968 to help with the breakaway revolt and after proving himself several times, he was promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel, in charge of planning.
Inspite of all his achievements though, he was arrested together with five other Mercenaries and bundled out of the biafran state after an arguement with Ojukwu.
However, far from being a mercenary, he had fought for the Biafrans without pay, serving long after most other mercenaries or European Soldiers of Fortune as they are often called had left the cause.

2. CAPTAIN ALEC
A one time British Paratrooper , Capt Alec came into Biafra in 1968. It was said that through out his stay in the region he used to walk around with a submachine gun, a rifle, and a shotgun, “just in case I have to shoot my way out of this bloody place.” He said. Capt Alec believed in the “little people,” who, he would say in all seriousness, “will jam your machine guns and cause your rockets to misfire.” What he meant by this statement for sure no one knows.
He fled Biafra after sustaining a life threatening injury.

3. TAFFY WILLIAMS
Noted for his bravery while under fire, Taffy Williams served two tours of duty with the Biafran Army. He rose to the rank of Major, and was assigned one hundred Biafran commandos. One of the feat he achieved with his commandos while fighting for Biafra was to keep two battalions of black mercenaries from Chad serving with the Federal Army at bay for twelve weeks using only the crudest of weapons.
Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those who he commanded in other African countries.
“I’ve seen a lot of Africans at war, he was quoted as saying. But there’s nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we’ll build an army that would be invincible on this continent. I’ve seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context” when he made the statement above, there’s no doubt he was referring to the Sheer Will, Patriotism and Strength of Biafrans.

Taffy Willams was eventually forced to withdraw from the war due to a shortage of ammunition.
He was the only white Mercenary to stand by Biafra for the full duration of the conflict and spent over twelve months in combat. He was also the last white mercenary to leave the country as Federal Troops closed in.

4. ALEXANDRA GAY
Alexandra Gay came into Biafra In 1968, to fight under Frenchman Robert Faulques who he knew from his time in Congo. During his stay in Biafra he met up with and made friends with Rolf Steiner and Frederick Forsyth, and together three of them wrecked havoc on Nigerian troops. He too also ended up leaving the country in 1969, due to a shortage of ammunition.

5. MARC GOOSENS
Marc Goosens,was a decorated millitary man who after his mission in Congo In 1964, came to Biafra in 1968 to help with the cause by training Biafra’s Millitia. He also fought alongside his trainees whenever there was need to. While in Biafra He served under the French Mercenary leader Robert Faulques, where he held the rank of Major.
He was killed During an attack on Onitsha by Nigerian soldiers.

6. RON ARCHER
Ron was an American pilot that served Under the 493rd Bomb Group during WWII. His 493rd Bomnb Group also happens to be the last Eighth Air Force Group to become operational, flying their first combat mission from Debach, Suffolk, on D- Day, 6 June 1944.
Ron Archer may not be a mercenary in the literal sense, but he was active in the biafran region during the war. He also supplied arms for/to the Biafran army.

7. ROBERT FAULQUES
After his mission in Katanga, Robert Faulques (a french high profile mercenary leader) came to Biafra in 1968 to lead the breakaway revolt with the assistance of some group of Mercenaries he recruited by himself. Though he fought well, he was no match for the large troops of Nigerian soldiers. He fled the state of biafra with his tails between his legs when the Federal Troops started closing in.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Alchemy528: 12:03pm On Sep 16, 2023
Ok
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Creamypie(m): 12:03pm On Sep 16, 2023
[quote author=Curious346 post=125825657]During the Biafran war, there was no official support for the Biafran Army by any nation throughout the war. So to improve their chances of winning the war, foreign mercenaries were employed by Biafra to help fight for the cause.
Below are 7 notable Mercenaries that fought alongside Biafran soldiers during the Nigerian civil war.

1. COLONEL ROLF STEINER
Colonel Steiner was a German-born ex-Foreign Legion sergeant who spent most of his life fighting.
He came into Biafra in 1968 to help with the breakaway revolt and after proving himself several times, he was promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel, in charge of planning.
Inspite of all his achievements though, he was arrested together with five other Mercenaries and bundled out of the biafran state after an arguement with Ojukwu.
However, far from being a mercenary, he had fought for the Biafrans without pay, serving long after most other mercenaries or European Soldiers of Fortune as they are often called had left the cause.

2. CAPTAIN ALEC
A one time British Paratrooper , Capt Alec came into Biafra in 1968. It was said that through out his stay in the region he used to walk around with a submachine gun, a rifle, and a shotgun, “just in case I have to shoot my way out of this bloody place.” He said. Capt Alec believed in the “little people,” who, he would say in all seriousness, “will jam your machine guns and cause your rockets to misfire.” What he meant by this statement for sure no one knows.
He fled Biafra after sustaining a life threatening injury.

3. TAFFY WILLIAMS
Noted for his bravery while under fire, Taffy Williams served two tours of duty with the Biafran Army. He rose to the rank of Major, and was assigned one hundred Biafran commandos. One of the feat he achieved with his commandos while fighting for Biafra was to keep two battalions of black mercenaries from Chad serving with the Federal Army at bay for twelve weeks using only the crudest of weapons.
Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those who he commanded in other African countries.
“I’ve seen a lot of Africans at war, he was quoted as saying. But there’s nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we’ll build an army that would be invincible on this continent. I’ve seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context” when he made the statement above, there’s no doubt he was referring to the Sheer Will, Patriotism and Strength of Biafrans.

Taffy Willams was eventually forced to withdraw from the war due to a shortage of ammunition.
He was the only white Mercenary to stand by Biafra for the full duration of the conflict and spent over twelve months in combat. He was also the last white mercenary to leave the country as Federal Troops closed in.

4. ALEXANDRA GAY
Alexandra Gay came into Biafra In 1968, to fight under Frenchman Robert Faulques who he knew from his time in Congo. During his stay in Biafra he met up with and made friends with Rolf Steiner and Frederick Forsyth, and together three of them wrecked havoc on Nigerian troops. He too also ended up leaving the country in 1969, due to a shortage of ammunition.

5. MARC GOOSENS
Marc Goosens,was a decorated millitary man who after his mission in Congo In 1964, came to Biafra in 1968 to help with the cause by training Biafra’s Millitia. He also fought alongside his trainees whenever there was need to. While in Biafra He served under the French Mercenary leader Robert Faulques, where he held the rank of Major.
He was killed During an attack on Onitsha by Nigerian soldiers.

6. RON ARCHER
Ron was an American pilot that served Under the 493rd Bomb Group during WWII. His 493rd Bomnb Group also happens to be the last Eighth Air Force Group to become operational, flying their first combat mission from Debach, Suffolk, on D- Day, 6 June 1944.
Ron Archer may not be a mercenary in the literal sense, but he was active in the biafran region during the war. He also supplied arms for/to the Biafran army.

7. ROBERT FAULQUES
After his mission in Katanga, Robert Faulques (a french high profile mercenary leader) came to Biafra in 1968 to lead the breakaway revolt with the assistance of some group of Mercenaries he recruited by himself. Though he fought well, he was no match for the large troops of Nigerian soldiers. He fled the state of biafra with his tails between his legs when the Federal Troops started closing in.

[/qu lane garrison and rolf stenner are alive today
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by illicit(m): 12:05pm On Sep 16, 2023
Merchants of violence
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Creamypie(m): 12:07pm On Sep 16, 2023
Lynn garrison and Rolf stenner are alive today. Faulqies died 2011. Marc goosens died toward end of the war

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Sonyboom: 12:27pm On Sep 16, 2023
I tot igbos claim no one helped them say na ogbonuike bomb him Dem talk fight the waar n their bare hands. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Many pathetic ipob Igbo on NL I swear this fools just make me laugh time n time again.

6 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Bestbrain123(m): 1:00pm On Sep 16, 2023
When i hear biafran war stories.. I'm so happy that i often forget my sorrows. biafrans are great people compare to a dependable giant .

6 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Chinjo2: 1:51pm On Sep 16, 2023
Inspite of the mercineries, it was hunger that almost killed over one million people.
Stop promoting war.

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Chibuzoc(m): 1:55pm On Sep 16, 2023
Proud of my history as a Biafran

3 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Makunahatata: 2:15pm On Sep 16, 2023
Chibuzoc:
Proud of my history as a Biafran
same history where one coward ran away with stolen money ,dressed as hoelosho after killing millions, for selfish agenda

4 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by ElSudani: 2:16pm On Sep 16, 2023
I see one on the right eating grass. Was it so bad?

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by mightyhaze: 2:18pm On Sep 16, 2023
What about Major Giorgio Norbiato . A very gallant Italian soldier (Popularly known as Major George).. Read his exploits in one of the numerous Biafra war novels .. Fought mostly at the ahaoda sector.. where he eventually died in a fierce encounter

And ofcourse the swedish pilot . Have forgotten his name ... The man almost in charge of the BAF.. He was the one that converted some old small passenger planes into fighter jets,cleverly fitting them with machine guns.. planes he nicknamed Biafran babes..

Modified*

Count Gustavo Von Rosen

2 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Blake755: 2:24pm On Sep 16, 2023
All of them was there for there own interests

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by wakaman: 3:08pm On Sep 16, 2023
Na die all of them die last, and the igbos actually ate them at death.

Losing since 1967....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by tsdarkside(m): 3:15pm On Sep 16, 2023
i laugh over you igbos....whites are not better fighters....
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by tamdun: 3:35pm On Sep 16, 2023
One of them resign because ojukwu refused redcross and awolowo to supply foods to igbo people,ojukwu allowed his own people to starve to death while his own family was in exhile enjoying themselves

3 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Meagainstthem: 4:09pm On Sep 16, 2023
ALEXANDRA GAY

No wonder they are gay over there
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Dennisbulkan: 5:51pm On Sep 16, 2023
Blake755:
All of them was there for there own interests

That's why they are called "soldiers of fortune"

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by MICHEALADEX(m): 6:00pm On Sep 16, 2023
Sonyboom:
I tot igbos claim no one helped them say na ogbonuike bomb him Dem talk fight the waar n their bare hands. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Many pathetic ipob Igbo on NL I swear this fools just make me laugh time n time again.

Don't mind those chest beating chimps trying to form human on social media

2 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by tishbite42: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2023
Men Mount.
Forza Biafra
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by tishbite42: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2023
MICHEALADEX:

Don't mind those chest beating chimps trying to form human on social media
Clowns
Nigeria had thousands of mercenaries
Even the US uses mercenaries

2 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by creativehubb: 6:13pm On Sep 16, 2023
I have read these stories, the mercenaries are warlords, very brave men, they helped the biafran army fight on, they were real proffesionals, discrete men, come in, and disappear quietly by the end of the war, a few lost their lives. Some nations were on the side of Biafra army, supporting them with weapons and cash, as the attached picture clearly shows. The mercenaries were ojukwus backbone, without them, they wouldn't have made any advancement...they move with artillery and special squads and weapons, of maybe 20men, carry out clearance operations for the other soldiers to overrun the community or position.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Perfectbeing(m): 6:13pm On Sep 16, 2023
Ojukwu boasted on live TV that he's fully prepared for war and if a war comes, it would not last long. He said Nigeria will be shocked at what they'd see.

How can you prepare for far without considering the allies of your enemy..

Well, long story short, Ojukwu ran away like the coward he is. He would have at least done a Hitler and killed himself but no! He was a coward.

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by b3llo(m): 6:42pm On Sep 16, 2023
Creamypie:
Lynn garrison and Rolf stenner are alive today. Faulqies died 2011. Marc goosens died toward end of the war
those guys cashed out during Africa's unstable period

2 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by Holybaddo: 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2023
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by PortHarcourtcit(m): 6:47pm On Sep 16, 2023
The mercenaries laboured in vain... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by kettykin: 6:49pm On Sep 16, 2023
Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we’ll build an army that would be invincible on this continent

My favorite quote, there few armies comparable to the biafran army, the army of kind David, the army of Alexander the great that fought against Persian army and the biafran military.

Biafra fought against a side backed by the british empire, soviet union, Egypt, Arab world etc. And destroyed whole military division like the 2nd division this happened when Britain was still an empire and the soviets were the world super power.

If biafra was realized, biafra would have been a military, steel, automobile, technology power. Biafra would have refined fuel for sub Sahara Africa, exported steel and automobile parts and cars.

The day the world would declassifies matters relating to the Civil War, there would be great upheavals.

This is why I get pained with idiots enforcing sit at home , tufiakwa.

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by duro4chang(m): 8:22pm On Sep 16, 2023
I hope your have seen why war is not an option in Nigeria
Re: 7 Notable Mercenaries That Fought Alongside Biafran Soldiers During The Civil Wa by MrsTwrite(f): 7:42am On Sep 17, 2023
Wow!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why And How Yoruba Ronu Is Winning / Poison On Rampage / UK Prime Minister Cameron: My war on multiculturalism - Focus on Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.