Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ (6664 Views)

Students Strip Kogi University Lecturer Accused Of Sexual Harassment / Share your experience with sexual harassment in the university / Ebonyi University Sacks 63 Lecturers, Staff For Forgery, Sexual Harassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by DamnnNiggarr: 4:48pm On Sep 18, 2023
Sexual harassment: UNIZIK launches ‘Operation speak out’

…Mounts CCTV in classrooms, offices to follow

To curb alleged increase in the rate of sexual harassment of students by lecturers, authorities of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, have planned to launch Operation speak out aimed at giving the victims the opportunity to expose the culprits.

The Vice Chancellor of the university, Professor Charles Esimone, who addressed select journalists in Awka, also explained that the institution has planned a Close Circuit Television, CCTV, project, which will be executed in phases, as part of efforts to curb the vice.

He said: “It is good to stir up people because when you see that some people are being so careless about some of these key issues, especially what happens in the classrooms, concerning sexual harassment, extortion and what they call sorting to pass exams, you have to do something. “We are starting with the classrooms and from classrooms we move to offices. We are still deliberating on that of offices as those opposed to the policy have given their reasons why CCTV should not be installed in their offices, even though I told them that office is not a private apartment of anybody. “However, some people have given one or two reasons and we will look into those reasons as we don’t want to heat up the system because of that. We will sit down again and look at their reasons.

“This issue is not just between staff and students; it is also among the students themselves, which is why we started with the classrooms which will soon be completed.

” For the offices, we will table it before the Senate, but we are not happy with the social media comments on the issue, which is why the university administration needed to do something to show that we are not tolerating it.

“I wouldn’t like to impose anything on them and so, we will sit down and talk. They also need to understand that we are not happy with the social media reports about the university”.

On the ‘operation speak out’, which would soon be launched, Esimone said it is necessary because most students are afraid that the lecturers might victimize them more if they talk.

He added: “We have held a town hall meeting with the students and the Students Union Government in the university. We encourage and ask them to speak out if they are oppressed. “Majority of the students are afraid of speaking out because some of the lectures are threatening them.

Some of the students have spoken out and I have set up a committee to investigate those named.

“If any of them is found guilty, at least we will start from there. We have five or six cases of harassment, which we are investigating. I have told the students that what we are doing is to protect them and I assured them that nobody will harass them under my administration and go free.

“All along, this has been happening, only that students don’t come out to speak about it. I have zero tolerance for sexual harassment.

“Even in my faculty, the faculty of pharmacy, I sacked one of my boys. I brought him into the university from a company and nobody believed I could sack him. He did not even believe I could sack him. Everybody knew he was my boy.

“We followed due process, investigated him and we found him guilty and I had to sack him. If you like be my brother, my wife or anybody, once you are found in that position, you are gone.

“I told the students that they should be rest assured that if they give information it must be followed to a logical conclusion.

“Once any person’s name is dropped in any of these issues, he will be investigated and if found guilty, the person will go.

“I also encourage the students to come forward and give evidence because without evidence we cannot do anything. I told them not to be afraid of giving evidence because the university will protect them. We are embarking on total cleansing of the university.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/sexual-harassment-unizik-launches-operation-speak-out/

3 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by DamnnNiggarr: 4:48pm On Sep 18, 2023
shocked
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Rikze: 4:57pm On Sep 18, 2023
cool
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Acekidc4(m): 5:00pm On Sep 18, 2023
😎😎
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Acekidc4(m): 5:02pm On Sep 18, 2023
Soro Soke Werey🎤

5 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by CHIOMAEZEH: 5:41pm On Sep 18, 2023
Lol......I have a better approach to curbing the predation....bring them over to me and my goons for some drilling ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex__6LcJr8E
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by ivolt: 5:41pm On Sep 18, 2023
Yes.
But after speak out make you investigate and sanction predators.

2 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by accordadoga29(f): 5:41pm On Sep 18, 2023
Good..

At least something good has come out of Nazareth.

This is a good development coming from the land of cannibalism

2 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2023
Those lecturers will rather rebel against the VC. There is no way they will allow him to install CCTV in their office.
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Ensa777(f): 5:43pm On Sep 18, 2023
I suffered it but mine was marriage.I didn't like the man for anything yet he was convinced it'd work and harassed the hell out of me.Even sent my course advisor to speak on his behalf because I was one of the best students in my department then .

Me I spoke up,loud and clear and some of my lecturers stepped in on my behalf .I am really grateful for them cos the man took us in 2 courses and tried punishing me through them

12 yrs later he's still unmarried .His biz anyway.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by DevilSignature: 5:44pm On Sep 18, 2023
cheesy

Nigerians makes these issues one side base; what should we do about students who sexually harassing their lecturers. I live and work in the university environment and I know many female students who frown their bodies calling on lecturers for sex, especially those with carryovers in their courses

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Kennyking1234: 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2023
Stupid school robbery everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by RepoMan007: 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2023
With evidence o.

4 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by bluepreek(m): 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by naijaboy756: 5:46pm On Sep 18, 2023
Hotels dey na

Randy lecturers everywhere

e fit be say 80% of girls wey no sabi book, but pass through higher institution don drop the thing for one lecturer or more
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by JuanDeDios: 5:47pm On Sep 18, 2023
accordadoga29:
Good..

Posts like this are not good for you, the forum or the country. Clean up your act.

6 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by EmekaA125(m): 5:49pm On Sep 18, 2023
UNIZIK, UNN, Alex Ekwueme Federal University, FUTO, MOUAU and other institutions across SouthEast must unite to stamp out this ugly trend ravaging our society.

And to the ladies, stop wearing nonsense in public. Those that always wear rubbish to bring out their curves in order to seduce unsuspecting lectures must be punished severely.

All hands must be on deck to address this issue decisively.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Bridget95(f): 5:49pm On Sep 18, 2023
This madness have been going on unabated for years.

Long over due

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Mindlog: 5:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
accordadoga29:
Good..

Psychosis on the beat.....you are certainly in the midst of one your regular delusional episodes and do always bear in mind that, there are less than 500 Psychiatrists practicing in Nigeria.. wink

2 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by STEWpid(f): 5:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
Chai..

UNIZIK will sack almost all of her Male and a very few Female lecturers.

The place is SEXatorn area.

Students dey even born for lecturers in the Dept. of Theatre Art.

They have damaged most girls in Social Sciences, especially in the Depts. of Mass Communication, Sociology, Psychology, and Economics.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Woodshot: 6:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
grin
Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by SafariHunter(m): 6:11pm On Sep 18, 2023
Good move. It's honestly a great policy given the rate of sexual assault that we all know happens in higher institutions of learning in Nigeria

Unpopular opinion:😵😵😵

women will "weaponize" it and start flooding authorities with complaints that might hurt ones reputation. It's a double edge sword

4 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by EmekaA125(m): 6:13pm On Sep 18, 2023
Ensa777:
I suffered it but mine was marriage.I didn't like the man for anything yet he was convinced it'd work and harassed the hell out of me.Even sent my course advisor to speak on his behalf because I was one of the best students in my department then .

Me I spoke up,loud and clear and some of my lecturers stepped in on my behalf .I am really grateful for them cos the man took us in 2 courses and tried punishing me through them

12 yrs later he's still unmarried .His biz anyway.
You want us to believe this undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by EmekaA125(m): 6:15pm On Sep 18, 2023
STEWpid:
Chai..

UNIZIK will sack almost all of her Male and a very few Female lecturers.

The place is SEXatorn area.

Students dey even born for lecturers in the Dept. of Theatre Art.

They have damaged most girls in Social Sciences, especially in the Depts. of Mass Communication, Sociology, Psychology, and Economics.
Blame ur gender for wearing rubbish to school. Ladies don't know what their body can cause. Na una sabi

1 Like

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Funkyswagzz(m): 6:15pm On Sep 18, 2023
accordadoga29:
Good..

What?? Are u owk

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by Akwukalia: 6:16pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nice one from my Alma mata...
There should also be a decent dress code. All these small small diploma & year 1 students are something else. Most parents have no idea what their children are doing in school environment, going to university is an opportunity for some of them to explore & live wayward lifestyle they couldn't have while at home. If only some parents can visit their children unannounced, they'd be surprised what their wards have turned into. These girls(most especially yr1) dress half naked without bra walking around in the evening from 6pm upwards, from Miracle junction to school gate down to Next Level & beyond. Ifite is something else, that's where they're. Sigh 😔😞

2 Likes

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by EmekaA125(m): 6:17pm On Sep 18, 2023
accordadoga29:
Good..

It's happening more at OAU, UNILAG, UI, FUTA, FUOYE and other institutions in the land of palliative fighters, ewedu algae soup consumption and rice bandits grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by EmekaA125(m): 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2023
accordadoga29:
Good..

Those who mine skulls and sell human organs should be shameful enough to hide their faces in shame. Spits

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harassment: UNIZIK Launches ‘Operation Speak Out’ by pendragonbladgo(m): 6:41pm On Sep 18, 2023
What of operation ladies cover your body and don't have any kind of closeness with a Lecturer

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? / 4 Banned Books From Around The World You Should Absolutely Read / Get The Difference Between The Words "Guard" And "Guide".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.