Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads (12543 Views)

Traffic Offences: Lagos Reads Riot Act To Okadas And Tricycles Operators / Rivers Lockdown: Port Harcourt Roads In Pictures / You Have 30 Days To Vacate Port-harcourt Roads- Wike Tells Street Traders, Other (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Ofunaofu: 5:04pm On Sep 21, 2023
…gives them 2weeks ultimatum to complete remedial works

The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi has given contractors handling remedial works on Federal Roads in Abuja and Port Harcourt two weeks to complete their respective works.
Umahi have the ultimatum while inspecting ongoing road projects in Rivers State and environs on Thursday.

He also directed state Controllers of Works to ensure that only road projects where motorists can go through the leanth and breath are given certificates of payment for him to sign.

He said, “I have directed that any project that motor users cannot go through the entire length and breadth of the project awarded to a contractor, I will not sign the certificate, contractors must maintain all the roads, the length and breath within their contract.

“I am directing the controllers and Directors of the Regions to ensure between Abuja and Port Harcourt they must fix the remedial works within the next 14days.”

Umahi equally announced that the Federal Government will no longer accept road contract certificate for payment generated by one person.

A statement by the Director Information, Press and Public Relations Unit of the Ministry, Blessing Lere-Adams, quoted the Minister as saying this while inspecting some roads within Rivers and Akwa Ibom States.

Umahi was quoted as saying, “ No longer will certificate for payment be generated by one person. The contractor must sign it, resident engineer as well. State controllers, regional controllers, and they will all ensure inspections are done, state Commissioners of Works shall generate work done,prepare the certificate with calculations and geotechnical reports , sketches and valuation,then they will bring it to me , the moment I see that things are working I will sign within 6hours.”

The Minister further said “How could a payment certificate be given for a road that has failed and the contractor is on site and you turn around to blame the leaders, who signs the papers ?

“You sign the paper and originate the certificate but I have directed that enough is enough, they must show me how increase in our contracts come about , anyone can sign a paper for them to pay but as for me I will not sign anything that I don’t know how it came about.

“ If you want to do ashphalt continue with it but you must sign a performance bond that the road must not fail within the life time of the project , I want Nigerians to know that overloading is not responsible for failure of the road , most of the contractors have jobs in more than ten locations with two equipment so they cannot cope with the volume of jobs”

The Minister equally directed that any contractor without COREN Certified Engineer must not be allowed to work , he maintained that any consultant or civil servant that behaved the way they have been behaving their certificate would be withdrawn .

Umahi expressed President Bola Tinubu’s determination to end the sufferings of the road users in Nigeria.

He said, “Road is everything to this country , road is everything to Commerce, road is everything to Solid Mineral, Medicine, Education, Agriculture and to Food Security.”

The Minister was approached by youths of Eleme during his inspection for upgrading of four lanes to six lanes for Eleme junction to Onne junction road projects in Rivers State where he promised them that he would work with the youths to ensure that the road does not remain the same .

Earlier, the Eleme Local Government Area Chairman, Hon.Obarilomate Ollor who spoke on behalf of the youths said, “ I thank the Minister for coming to inspect this road on behalf of Mr President , this bad road has been responsible for the untimely death of so many people and more that ten thousands of vehicles ply this route daily , and from what you have said the youths will cooperate with you to deliver this project and we will not make unnecessary request”

Some of the projects inspected by the Minister in Rivers and Akwa Ibom states included, Aba- Port Harcourt road , Bodo Bonny road , Ogoni bridge , Reconstruction of Abak – Ekparakwa –Ette- Ikot Abasi road and the dualisation of the East West Road Section four at Eket By Pass.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/fg-reads-riot-act-to-contractors-handling-abuja-port-harcourt-roads/amp/

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by loosecanon50(m): 5:31pm On Sep 21, 2023
It is Obvious Dave Umahi didn't come to play as minister of works. He means business.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by GOFRONT(m): 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2023
Those Chinese contractors called CEECC I guess.

Setraco shouldn't be anywhere near there.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:38pm On Sep 21, 2023
All I hear is riot ACT. Don't get me wrong, I can't judge Umahi this early but almost all FG roads are in a big mess. You begin dey wonder the outcome of these riot acts.

Ninth Mile Opi, Obollo Otukpa roads is an eyesore. Driving from Lagos to East same and many others. Is anybody seeing the positive outcome of all these media noise?

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Domaining101: 6:22pm On Sep 21, 2023
grin
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Rambohihny929: 6:23pm On Sep 21, 2023
Nice noted
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by populacefemz: 6:23pm On Sep 21, 2023
Una go react tire. Never see anything. cheesy
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Starships4u(m): 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2023
2 weeks to resume or complete

Cos using 2 weeks to complete means a rush work and we all know what that could mean ...
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by saphiere(f): 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2023
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by CooldipoMPS: 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2023
shocked

Civil servant are the number one criminal in Nigeria, nobody can steal money without their support or participation

18 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Jestin: 6:26pm On Sep 21, 2023
Umahi if given the right atmosphere by shaking shaking grandpa will over perform

1 Like

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by damble: 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
GOFRONT:

Setraco nah bae for Abuja here ooo. Very reliable company to some extent

6 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by paskal16: 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
This Umahi guy just resemble my landlord facially grin

1 Like

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by ayokellany: 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by mencer(m): 6:29pm On Sep 21, 2023
Umahi knows the job ….i hope nigerians would see results soon

8 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Tinubuwins2023e: 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2023
PBAT knows how to pick competent people to deliver. God bless Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Soulsymbol99: 6:31pm On Sep 21, 2023
Berger na the only construction company in naija that meets international standards. They don't compromise

5 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Whalis: 6:35pm On Sep 21, 2023
Ok
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by jojothaiv(m): 6:36pm On Sep 21, 2023
Once small money enter my pocket, na to leave Mogadishu..
Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by BoldBrainz(m): 6:38pm On Sep 21, 2023
GOFRONT:

CCECC is a registered construction company with the CAC and they execute their projects with very proper negotiation channels. Their administrative structure does not give room for sharp practices such as this. They're even more reliable than SETRACO.

I know because I have worked as a member of an FG supervision team meant to liaise with both companies on different projects, one along the Ebonyi-Cross River-Cameroon road corridor and the other along the Cross River-Akwa Ibom-Port Harcourt road corridor.

It is easier to steal under Setraco, than it is to steal under CCECC.

6 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Boldideas: 6:39pm On Sep 21, 2023
Ofunaofu:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/fg-reads-riot-act-to-contractors-handling-abuja-port-harcourt-roads/amp/

Umahi was quoted as saying, “ No longer will certificate for payment be generated by one person. The contractor must sign it, resident engineer as well. State controllers, regional controllers, and they will all ensure inspections are done, state Commissioners of Works shall generate work done,prepare the certificate with calculations and geotechnical reports , sketches and valuation,then they will bring it to me , the moment I see that things are working I will sign within 6hours.”

At last, we may have gotten it right this time! All hail Umahi!!! Great Jagaban knows how to pick his onions... Am so happy with the way Umahi is making us see that Fashola was nothing but a disappointment.

Once again, all hail Umahi!!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by lonelydora: 6:39pm On Sep 21, 2023
Oga Dave, abeg travel from Port Harcourt to Warri, then Sapele to Benin.

Make you see wetin Nigerians dey go through.

3 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Bridget95(f): 6:39pm On Sep 21, 2023
jojothaiv:
Once small money enter my pocket, na to leave Mogadishu..
You are a naija youth for real. So if you be one of the contractors, you go do leave Mogadishu since .

2 Likes

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by KdpMaster: 6:39pm On Sep 21, 2023
GOFRONT:

And you do not know ceecc is link to Jaga ban

1 Like

Re: FG Reads Riot Act To Contractors Handling Abuja, Port Harcourt Roads by Dreal1247: 6:40pm On Sep 21, 2023
The two performing Ministers are from South South and South East. Nigeria Is missing the right hand from piloting the affairs of the country. When are we going to get things right in this country?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Afenifere Has No Regrets Supporting Tinubu To Be President – Secretary / Boko Haram: 500 detained suspects released in Borno / Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.