Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Gunmen Abduct 35 From Nigerian University In The Northwest - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Gunmen Abduct 35 From Nigerian University In The Northwest (86 Views)

Video Of Nigerian University HOD Caught Pants Down With Student / Ex APC Financier Joins Atiku Care Foundation As Deputy Director Northwest / Governor Ambode Launches Modern Satellite City Northwest Of LFTZ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Abduct 35 From Nigerian University In The Northwest by eeetuk(m): 2:01am On Sep 23, 2023
Gunmen abduct 35 from Nigerian university in the northwest

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) -Gunmen in Nigeria kidnapped 35 people from a university in northwest Zamfara state on Friday, the governor's spokesperson said, the first major abduction involving students this year.

Armed gangs have plagued the northwest in recent years, kidnapping for ransom, looting and destroying communities and murdering civilians. Security forces' attempts to halt their rampage have met with little success.

Mugira Yusuf, spokesperson for the Zamfara state governor, said 24 students, 10 workers and a security guard were seized by armed men in the early hours of Friday from the Federal University of Gusau.

Soldiers had rescued six female students and killed five abductors during a shoot out, a security source said.

The source said a joint security operation between the army and police was underway to free those still in captivity.

Kidnappings of students, once a notorious tactic by Islamist militants to intimidate the population, have become a money-spinning industry for armed gangs demanding ransom payments.

President Bola Tinubu promised to end widespread insecurity during his election campaign earlier this year but he is yet to spell out how he will tackle the problem.

(Reporting by Ahmed Kingimi,Writing by MacDonald Dzirutwe;Editing by Alexander Winning and Emelia Sithole-Matarise)

Related video: Nigeria has the highest rate of kidnap-for-ransom cases
[url]https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/gunmen-abduct-35-from-nigerian-university-in-the-northwest/ar-AA1h6vVY?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a26d303b04c049e188fefb4879b131d4&ei=26
[/url]
Re: Gunmen Abduct 35 From Nigerian University In The Northwest by Canvass: 4:08am On Sep 23, 2023
Give me full scholarship with stipend to attend a university up north, I no go go. It's like committing suicide. I'd rather go College of Education for south.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Become A Moderator On Nairaland / I Do With A View: Embracing Technology In Virtual Weddings / Keyword Research

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.