Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) (25921 Views)

Fully Loaded Bus Catches Fire On Third Mainland Bridge (Photos) / SUV Goes Up In Flames On Third Mainland Bridge, Police Come To The Rescue. PICS / Boat Capsizes Under Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos, 19 Passengers Rescued. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 2:44am On Sep 23, 2023
The conception and construction of the Third Mainland Bridge (videos, photos and memories).

The Third Mainland Bridge is the longest of the three road bridges that connect Lagos Island with the Mainland. It was the longest bridge in Africa from 1990 till 1996 when the 6th October Bridge located in Cairo was completed.

This thread features accounts by the governors who were at the heart of the conception and construction of the bridge, videos of the commissioning of the first and second phases of the bridge and the renaming of a part of the bridge and memories of the situation in Lagos when the bridge was under construction.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 2:44am On Sep 23, 2023
Brigadier Mobolaji Johnson was the administrator of the FCT, Lagos from 1966 till 1967 and governor of Lagos from 1967 till 1975.

What were the projects you planned to execute during your tenure but for reasons of time and financial constraints, you could not?

I wasn’t happy with the transportation system in Lagos, and I particularly felt bad about the waterways that we could not fully exploit. I sent a delegation abroad to look for flat bottom boats that could take passengers across the waterways. I wasn’t happy with the transportation system and would have loved to see a better system in place. One of the ideas I had was to construct the 3rd Mainland Bridge. Don’t forget, the 3rd Mainland Bridge was a creation of the government of Lagos State and not the Federal Government. The Federal Government only took it over at a point in time when we didn’t have enough money and, therefore, included the project as part of the state’s contribution to second Five-Year Development Programme of the Federal Government in 1972. I went abroad and was surprised to discover that the headquarters of Julius Berger was located in the same area with the hospital where I went for medical treatment. I met Mr Whitman who later served as vice chairman on the board of Julius Berger. His first job in Nigeria was the construction of the Itoikin Bridge that links Lagos with Epe.

During my meeting with Mr Whitman and his team of engineers, I showed them what we were planning for the ring roads around Lagos. I believe people getting out of Lagos should have free ways that they can use. The concept I had for the inner ring road and outer ring road was to have pillars erected to the middle of Herbert Macaulay and Murtala Muhammed Way with the pillars supporting a network of highways on the top like the ones I saw in Tokyo, Japan. I believed we could achieve same in Lagos. The Julius Berger team looked into my concept and came up with a blueprint ready for my submission to the Federal Government. That was how Julius Berger and an army of officials came all the way to Lagos. Work began in earnest with the engineers in boats and canoes crisscrossing the body of water over which the 3rd Mainland Bridge and its ring roads would be built. At Marina, they proposed sand filling as the best option so as to be able to gain more useful land, in addition to solving the traffic problem on that axis. I was thinking we could use the idea of the 3rd Mainland Bridge to sand fill a sizeable portion of the water front of the University of Lagos and adjoining areas and create a big motor park where a park-and-ride system of transportation would be available to take passengers from the Oworonshoki area into Lagos, where you will equally take a taxi or a bus to wherever you are going on the Lagos Island and when you are through with what you came to do on the Island, you will be taken back by boats across the water to where your car is parked at Oworonshoki. That was one major project I would have loved to accomplish but couldn’t. To date, our waterways, I must say, are still largely underutilised.

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/119067/

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 2:44am On Sep 23, 2023
A contract was awarded for a third mainland bridge in 1976. Construction of the bridge was done in phases. The first phase was contracted to a PGH consortium, a venture consisting, Impressit Girola and Borini Prono, while Trevi Group provided support services for piling. The first phase was designed to be 5 kilometers in length, starting from the Island and ending at Ebute Metta, towards Yaba.

Video: President Shehu Shagari commissioning the first phase of the Third Mainland Bridge on Tuesday, September 30th, 1980, to mark Nigeria's 20th Independence anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsn4vgGZt08?si=t6hMDCeRIhENOE5c

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 2:45am On Sep 23, 2023
Brigadier Raji Alagbe Rasaki was military governor of Lagos State from July 1988 till January 1992.

Lastly, the third mainland bridge.

Yes, a lot of people do not know that you were instrumental to the construction of the famous Third Mainland Bridge, tell us the full story

By the way, I am very much in support of what Governor Ambode did, by speaking up about his frustration concerning the Airport/Oshodi Expressway. Sometimes, you need to blackmail the Federal Government to get some of these things done. I did the same thing with the Third Mainland Bridge.

I remember General Babangida had come back from a trip and I had gone to receive him, despite the fact that we were using siren, it was tough passing through traffic because we passed through Yaba to Dodan Barracks.

So when we got there, I saluted and turned back. I could see that he was looking very unhappy. Akhigbe had tried with the issue but the next day, I went to Babangida and said, sir this traffic situation is bad, can you please let us sit down and discuss how to finish this bridge.

General (Mamman) Kotangora, who was the Minister of Works, said the end, that is the Oworonshoki side is a built up area and it will be impossible to navigate it. I said sir, can you please give me the map, they said it is with Julius Berger.

When I left there, I went to Julius Berger, I got the map, and in the process of checking that map, I saw the Coastal Road up till Calabar, that was how I began the Coastal Road. That map is there, we can still look at it. So I went to him and said, Sir I know this is a Federal Project but it is my people that are suffering, can we do this 50-50. If we can’t pay, you can take it from source.

That was how we then introduced the Development Levy, it was for the Third Mainland Project mainly. That was when Gani Fawehinmi took me to court. I was not bothered because I knew we were doing something that will benefit majority of Lagosians.

We then started work, we had got half of the way, I think that was around 1989, I believe I had just lost my wife. Babangida now said, there was no money. I said that is not possible. I told him, I have been to Abuja, I saw what is happening there, so I told him: the method you are using in Abuja, let us use it in Lagos, even if we are going to use oil to exchange for the funds because Lagos was too critical to the nation’s economy.

Bode Emmanuel used to be the Chairman of one of the construction companies, that is how we became close. I told him you are a Lagosian, please let you company continue the job, we are working on payments, I also called Julius Berger and gave them assurances. There was one Dafinone that also came to our rescue, we then also told Government to collect some of the money from source too.

That was why I was on that site every day to ensure that work was going on as scheduled.But we had a problem at Oworonshoki, one Baale and one Imam, came, they were complaining about the houses that were in the right of way, I told them, please this road is greater than all of us, nothing must stand in its way.

They were still complaining. I just kept quiet, I went to the Army Engineers, I think Ihejerika was in charge of the Army Engineers, I told them I want that place cleared for the road in 24 hours. I told them that they should clear everything on the path of the bridge on the weekend, so that they cannot go to court and stop us. Fadayomi was my Commissioner of Justice and Baba (Teslim) Elias was with us, I also went to Rotimi Williams, they said start the operation by Friday and before they can go to court on Monday, you have completed your operation. I loved that idea.

I was happy with the kind of advice I got . Just as we were talking, one man came in from Julius Berger, a very nice man that I worked closely with during the project.

He said, I should not use Army Engineers that there was another way we can do it, that if we use the Army, we will be blackmailed.I said I don’t care. We cleared the bridge area, there were no houses for many metres, but today, the plan was to allow space in case there is future expansion.

But today I have seen houses on both sides, when I noticed that Ambode was doing some work there, I thought he will bring down those houses, that is the difference between the civilian and military government. We do not care about re-election, we just get the job done.  When we cleared the place, off course, the people went to court, but the deed had been done and that was how Justice Esho used the word Executive Rascality, and you the media starting singing about it, but we did not let that disturb us. Today, we are all enjoying the Third Mainland Bridge.

http://www.ovationinternational.com/brigadier-general-raji-rasaki-rtd/

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 2:45am On Sep 23, 2023
Video. President Ibrahim Babangida commissions the Third Mainland Bridge on Saturday, August 17th, 1990, to mark his 50th birthday.

(This is Tonight At 9, which was shown on the Saturday. Newsline, which was shown on Sunday, showed the party on the bridge, which took place after General Babangida had left the ceremony. Sir Shina Peters performed and Governor Rasaki danced. The governor was very happy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBmKE6Afl3E?si=NlVqrqb25Ze4YOnP

10 Likes 2 Shares

The section of the bridge from Ebute Metta to Oworonshoki was renamed the Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida Bridge on Thursday, December 12th, 1991, when the Federal Government moved to Abuja.

1:25:18 minute mark in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SX2PReyzLg?si=sWXnL46EamXpT_5E

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by DomPerignon: 2:46am On Sep 23, 2023
Wetin you wan post now?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 2:49am On Sep 23, 2023
naptu2:

I feel compelled to make this explanation because you are the second person that I've seen in the past week that has claimed that Babangida built the entire Third Mainland Bridge.

Once upon a time traffic flowed from the Mainland onto the Island via Carter Bridge. It was distributed across the Island via Nnamdi Azikiwe Road and Broad Street. Broad Street was the financial capital of Nigeria and Nnamdi Azikiwe Street was the home to several large markets, so, as you can guess, they were plagued with massive traffic jams.

The government concieved the idea of building a ring road around Lagos Island and also building several entrances/exits to/from the Ring Road in order to reduce traffic in Central Lagos.

General Yakubu Gowon was thd head of state at that time, Alhaji Femi Okunnu was the commissioner (minister) for works (he was replaced by Obasanjo in 1974) and Colonel Mobolaji Johnson was the Lagos State governor.

What is Ring Road?

Look at the orange road in the first map below. Ring Road begins at the end of Third Mainland Bridge, at a place known as Adeniji Bus Stop, it goes past Ilubirin, Ikoyi Foreshore, Obalende, Onikan, Marina and ends up back at Adeniji Adele.

Marina used to be a beach, like Unilag Water Front. The government poured concrete on it and turned it into a road. The official name of the road is Ring Road, but people refer to it as "Outer Marina".

There was also a little river that separated Lagos Island from Ikoyi. It was called MacGregor Canal. The government reduced the width of the river, gave it concrete sides (instead of the previous sand banks) and it became the giant gutter that you see at Obalende.

I know people who are still angry with Gowon for converting sand into concrete.

Third Mainland Bridge

The government rebuilt Carter Bridge and built Eko Bridge (which was completed in 1975). The government also had an idea of a bridge that people coming from outside Lagos can use to access Lagos Island. This bridge will substantially bypass the mainland and bring traffic directly on to the Ring Road. It would also decongest Ikorodu Road and the Carter and Eko Bridge.

Serious discussions about the "Third Axial Bridge" began in 1974 or 1975 and the first phase was commissioned by President Shehu Shagari on September 30th, 1980 (to mark Nigeria's 20th anniversary).

The Third Mainland Bridge was being used in the 1980s (before Babangida became president), but you had to get off the bridge at the Ebute Metta/Yaba exit (Look at the second map below. You can see the exit at the place where the words "Third Mainland Bridge" is written). There were barriers across the road that prevented you from going further and when you exit the bridge, you could see the place where the bridge came to an abrupt end.

This meant that you had to take Herbert Macaulay Way and Ikorodu Road if you were going to Ikeja and this also meant that there were massive traffic jams on Herbert Macaulay Way.

I remember the great traffic jam of 1989. Eko Bridge was closed for repairs and everybody had to use either Third Mainland Bridge or Carter Bridge.

There was a Queens College girl in my house and she was meant to come home with the neighbours by 3 o'clock. 3 became 4 and then 5 o'clock and she was not home. I phoned the neighbours and they had no idea what was going on. So my driver and I went in search of the two missing girls. The traffic jam was incredible. We were at a standstill on Third Mainland Bridge and when we eventually got to Herbert Macaulay Way I discovered that people were driving against the flow of traffic and cars were facing each other with no where to go.

Policemen from Adekunle and Sabo police stations were overwhelmed and they just hung around and exchanged jokes with motorists.

We eventually got to Queens College and were told that the girls had already gone home and we went back home, got in after dark to discover that she was already asleep.

Julius Berger extended the bridge by a few metres in 1987 and then abandoned it again.

I'll quote Babangida's speech at the commissioning of the second phase of the bridge in 1991. He said that a new governor was appointed in Lagos and the man came to discuss the Third Mainland Bridge with him. He said that the man kept on coming to his office almost everyday to disturb him about the Third Mainland Bridge. He said that he had to tell his secretary not to allow Governor Rasaki into his office again. He said that he knew that he had to complete the bridge if he wanted peace (Governor Rasaki was laughing behind him).

The bridge was completed in 1991 and, when the Federal Government was moving from Lagos to Abuja, the section of the bridge from Ebute Metta to Oworonshoki was renamed IBB Bridge (I still have a video of that ceremony).

So you see, Gowon's government conceived the Third Mainland Bridge, Shagari commissioned the first phase and Babangida commissioned the second phase.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by naptu2: 2:49am On Sep 23, 2023
End.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by flexyrule(m): 5:01am On Sep 23, 2023
Good
Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by cgeorge(m): 5:01am On Sep 23, 2023
Nice write up.

1 Like

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by ApostlePaul14: 5:02am On Sep 23, 2023
Beautiful
Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by Racoon(m): 5:03am On Sep 23, 2023
Progress! Nice development!
Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by coolcharm(m): 5:04am On Sep 23, 2023
But Tinubu built Lagos?
Why is he not mentioned anywhere in this post? shocked

30 Likes

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by JohnnA1: 5:05am On Sep 23, 2023
We need a 4th Mainland Bridge already, and by the grace of God we will have it.

Olodumare continue to bless the South West.

God bless Nigeria.

Amen...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by Omoawoke2(m): 5:09am On Sep 23, 2023
JohnnA1:
We need a 4th Mainland Bridge already, and by the grace of God we will have it.

God continue to bless the South West.

God bless Nigeria.

Amen...

There’s a proposal for that already.
They were supposed to start the project after the Lagos rail line

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by kokakola: 5:10am On Sep 23, 2023
At these points in our lives and for the progress of our dear nation, these are not what we should be celebrating. We should be progressing and not retrogressing.

We shouldn't be celebrating and dwelling on our pasts glories, we should be implementing and doing things that should have impacts for the future of our nation.

We always take 2-Steps forward and 10-Steps backward.

2 Likes

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by Rodimi20000000: 5:12am On Sep 23, 2023
Ok 3mb is a nice project for a country like Nigeria..
Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by nibacked(m): 5:13am On Sep 23, 2023
Okay
Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by ecolime(m): 5:16am On Sep 23, 2023
coolcharm:
But Tinubu built Lagos?
Why is he not mentioned anywhere in this post? shocked
Don't ruin this beautiful thread bro.

It's too early to be drunk. This is just 5am.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by obi58: 5:18am On Sep 23, 2023
We've been hearing about the 4th mainland bridge for some time now.

Unfortunately after many years it still remains in conception stage.

There are lessons to be learnt from the third mainland bridge story Viz nothing is too big to achieve if the government of the day sets it's mind to it.

We need to expand boat transport along the waterways of Lagos significantly for one and two we need to take this 4th mainland serious.

3 Likes

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by Maxymilliano(m): 5:20am On Sep 23, 2023
Kudos to IBB and the construction giant, Julius Berger

4 Likes

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by JohnnA1: 5:20am On Sep 23, 2023
Omoawoke2:

There’s a proposal for that already.
They were supposed to start the project after the Lagos rail line
Yeah I'm aware boss..

A ki i fi ojo kan, bo omo to ru.

We will get there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by Chibuzoripob: 5:23am On Sep 23, 2023
cool cheesy grin lies.Naptu2,dnt lie to us sad,we OKORO develop Lagos cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by aycorporat(m): 5:23am On Sep 23, 2023
Thanks Naptu Baba
I have made it a point of duty to always drink from your wealth of wisdom.

You are a walking encyclopaedia

6 Likes

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by seunny4lif(m): 5:28am On Sep 23, 2023
So, funny that most of the biggest achievements in Nigeria in terms of infrastructures were done during military regime.
Nigeria airways was working doing military term.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by lexy2014: 5:30am On Sep 23, 2023
Maxymilliano:
Kudos to IBB and the construction giant, Julius Berger

Which IBB? It's Tinubu that built Lagos including the bridge

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by lexy2014: 5:32am On Sep 23, 2023
Wowcatty, I thought it was Tinubu that built Lagos? How come his name wasn't mentioned?

4 Likes

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by wonseun(m): 5:33am On Sep 23, 2023
We also need fourth mainland bridge... kiss

Can't wait

1 Like

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by IjebuWarrior: 5:35am On Sep 23, 2023
Make Okoro Savages no talk say na dem develop am ooo. grin

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Conception And Construction Of The Third Mainland Bridge (Videos & Photos) by Godofwar247(m): 5:41am On Sep 23, 2023
This is called master planning

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: Car Falls Into Gutter At Dopemu Bus Stop Lagos / Woman Narrates How A Kind Uber Driver Saved Her And Her Boyfriend / Foreign Airlines Reject Kaduna Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.