Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics (8688 Views)

Buhari And Fashola At China Aerospace Science Technology Corporation Centre / Photo: Fashola At Work In His Office In Abuja / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by blackpanda: 1:57pm On Oct 20, 2011
Kx:

For the avoidance of doubts, i sing Fashola praise to high heavens.
But like someone rightly pointed out, could nt this report card have been presented in LASU?
Why did he choose to sell himself and his team in Oxford?
Could nt he have achieved the same objective at home?
Can the guys in Oxford verify his claims that In the past three and a half years, as a city-state, we have built more roads than two of our neighbouring countries – Ghana and Sierra Leone even if that statement is bogus?
Who does he owe the duty of stewardship reporting, londoners or lagosians?

If he has presented it in LASU its still the same people like you that will start shouting that the school was bribed or forced to sing his praise. He did the right thing by presenting himself before neutral and independent body, so that they can verify his claims if they doubt.
Besides, the man has been on countless programmes and tv show within the state to demonstrate his programme and blue print for lagos.
Y'all shld stop hating and encourage the man!
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by dayokanu(m): 2:03pm On Oct 20, 2011
Imagine for a minute that it was Retardeen that was invited for such lecture, he would just be grinning like a lobotomized ape
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Wallie(m): 2:05pm On Oct 20, 2011
Kx:

For the avoidance of doubts, i sing Fashola praise to high heavens.
But like someone rightly pointed out, could nt this report card have been presented in LASU?
Why did he choose to sell himself and his team in Oxford?
Could nt he have achieved the same objective at home?
Can the guys in Oxford verify his claims that In the past three and a half years, as a city-state, we have built more roads than two of our neighbouring countries – Ghana and Sierra Leone even if that statement is bogus?
Who does he owe the duty of stewardship reporting, londoners or lagosians?

Why do you think he was presenting his "report card"? He was educating the team as someone experienced in delivering services to a mega city. Further, is LASU doing a study on "challenges of Managing a Mega City" where he could have presented?

Did you see the quote below? How can people at LASU help? Can people at LASU provide the needed dollars for the PPP or FDI? If you're seeking international "money" wouldn't you be canvassing such on an international stage?

lnviting the British Government and investors to look toward Lagos and Nigeria for huge investment opportunities, Governor Fashola declared, " Nigeria as a country and Lagos as a State offer huge opportunity to British investors. I also look forward to partnership in areas of Education and I am hopeful that a university like Oxford can develop a partnership overseas with our state university and offer the same quality or training and certification in an institution based in Lagos .
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Kx: 2:09pm On Oct 20, 2011
Wallie:

Did you see the quote below? How can people at LASU help? Can people at LASU provide the needed dollars for the PPP or FDI? If you're seeking international "money" wouldn't you be canvassing such on an international stage?
I started by saying I did nt get it.
Now, having seen that it was in defense of funds for PPP and FDI.
I guess I got it now!
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Omooba77: 2:54pm On Oct 20, 2011
The message look assuring,but Fashola has dashed my hope with all the bad state of roads,even BRT lane is not spared. It shows something is wrong with the design and construction. He has promised to do something about Ikorodu,nothing yet. Now getting out VI through Akindesola is herculean task and the flood every time it rains. BRF needs to go back to the drawing board.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Wallie(m): 3:21pm On Oct 20, 2011
Omooba77:

The message look assuring,but Fashola has dashed my hope with all the bad state of roads,even BRT lane is not spared. It shows something is wrong with the design and construction. He has promised to do something about Ikorodu,nothing yet. Now getting out VI through Akindesola is herculean task and the flood every time it rains. BRF needs to go back to the drawing board.

Potholes will develop over time even on roads built with the best material money can buy. This is even more so in Lagos with its population and unregulated trailer traffic. In the US, some roads and bridges are closed to trailers, and all trailers have a weight limit so as not to damage interstate highways.

Most potholes are formed due to fatigue of the road surface. As fatigue fractures develop they typically interlock in a pattern known as crocodile cracking. The chunks of pavement between fatigue cracks are worked loose and may eventually be picked out of the surface by continued wheel loads, thus forming a pothole…If a pothole fills with water the growth may be accelerated, as the water "washes away" loose particles of road surface as vehicles pass, However, potholes are a frequent occurrence anywhere in the world, including in the tropics…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pothole
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Omooba77: 3:40pm On Oct 20, 2011
@Wallie,I'm a science student sir,even if potholes will develop, the road must have a crevice. It is not few weeks after construction like we have in this part. When road or any facility is designed,there is provision for maintenance. How thick is our road before the final coat. Checkout what Julius Berger is doing at Oshodi axis and compare with Ccc? Malu road,Apapa is a good example of what a road should be,how many years now and it still motorable,despite heavy use by trailers and tankers. So what else do you want to say sir.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by EkoIle1: 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^^ what more do you want from him? He gave you the most sane, rational and acceptable reasons why we have bad road and refuting his asertions doesn't make you a good student of science, it's the other way around.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Wallie(m): 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2011
Omooba77:

@Wallie,I'm a science student sir,even if potholes will develop, the road must have a crevice. It is not few weeks after construction like we have in this part. When road or any facility is designed,there is provision for maintenance. How thick is our road before the final coat. Checkout what Julius Berger is doing at Oshodi axis and compare with Ccc? Malu road,Apapa is a good example of what a road should be,how many years now and it still motorable,despite heavy use by trailers and tankers. So what else do you want to say sir.  

I don't argue blindly and have never been a follower. I responded to your initial post because you said, "Fashola has dashed my hope with all the bad state of roads,even BRT lane is not spared." My response pointed out that even the roads made of the best materials will develop potholes. So the fact that the roads and/or BRT lanes are bad does not really tell you anything about Fashola. For all we know, the roads could be near the end of their lifespan.

Now, if you had originally said that you lost faith in Fashola because the roads that were newly-built already developed potholes, then you might have a point.

Do you see the difference?
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by SEGAD: 4:30pm On Oct 20, 2011
I really don’t subscribe to over-hype Lagos Fashola achievements because I cannot see any. I recently travelled down to Enugu state on official assignment and to my big surprised I see good roads. I discovered that developments in Lagos are more of media hype than really developments.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by EkoIle1: 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^^ have you tried puting 18 million people and millions of cars on your roads or do you have thousands of trailers assaulting your roads every second of the day?

Btw, there terrible roads everywhere, including all over your enugu. Honesty is the best policy, try it sometimes.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by anonimi: 4:48pm On Oct 20, 2011
Wallie:

Now, if you had originally said that you lost faith in Fashola because the roads that were newly-built already developed potholes, then you might have a point.

Do you see the difference?

It is always refreshing to see that we Nigerians are capable of being civil in our discussions even when we initially disagree. I wish and hope more compatriots will do the same.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Omooba77: 4:52pm On Oct 20, 2011

Do you see the difference? So that is the difference sir.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by ikeyman00(m): 8:46pm On Oct 20, 2011
Potholes will develop over time even on roads built with the best material money can buy. This is even more so in Lagos with its population and unregulated trailer traffic. In the US, some roads and bridges are closed to trailers, and all trailers have a weight limit so as not to damage interstate highways.

i will never buy those crap on bold!!
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Akiika: 8:50pm On Oct 20, 2011
To the LASU students complaining, good education isn't cheap guys. Give this guy some props, he's a special breed Nigerian. Most of you are not even Lagosians, go and compare Fashola's accomplishments with ANY governor in Nigeria and you'll agree that he merits some accolades. However, he is only doing his job, it is outstanding because we are used to terrible governance. I still score him 45%, he should improve on his score.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by arsenefc: 9:03pm On Oct 20, 2011
@DK

Of course, thats Loma. He mentioned it some weeks back!
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Wallie(m): 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2011
ikeyman00:

i will never buy those crap on bold!!

That's fine because I wasn't selling it. What I posted is not an opinion but fact.

Read the USA Today article linked below (I posted the text earlier but spambot banned me for it and also ate it):

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-10-3878428638_x.htm

The weight limit for nearly all interstate highways is 40 tons. According to a government study, one 40-ton truck does as much damage to the road as 9,600 cars.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by safariman(m): 9:08pm On Oct 20, 2011
Fashola should be lecturing GEJ and all the governors
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Wallie(m): 9:17pm On Oct 20, 2011
Omooba77:

So that is the difference sir.

What's with the "sir"? lol

OK, if you're saying that the roads that were recently built now have potholes, then I would respond by saying, "how recent is 'recently-built'"? How long are the roads designed to last before developing potholes? Is it possible that the roads are only designed to last two raining seasons due to budget concerns? How about 3 raining seasons? 4?

I only said "you might have a point"!  smiley
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by EkoIle1: 9:23pm On Oct 20, 2011
safariman:

Fashola should be lecturing GEJ and all the governors

Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Omooba77: 10:21pm On Oct 20, 2011
@Wallie,less than 6 months and roads are built to last at least 15 years and with constant maintenance 25 years. Ikeja-Agege by Guinness,Iba-LASU and so on. The Libyians have shown us the way.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Omooba77: 10:23pm On Oct 20, 2011
@Wallie,which budget constraint,when they can use proceed from our taxes to build hotels and by properties.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by mrofficial(m): 11:07pm On Oct 20, 2011
anonimi:

It is always refreshing to see that we Nigerians are capable of being civil in our discussions even when we initially disagree. I wish and hope more compatriots will do the same.

I know it's only PDP members that get it right. Hold on, it's not yet time for election, wait till then before you begin flooding the whole forum with bullocks.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by mystikal(m): 7:10am On Oct 21, 2011
God bless his efforts but the roads can be better for real.
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by anonimi: 8:51am On Oct 21, 2011
I am sure the roads that Fashola and his NL boy, Eko Ile travelled to Oxford did not have potholes because they were resurfaced a few weeks before his visit, trailers do not pass on them and rain has not been falling there for so many months ago shocked
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 21, 2011
Indeed, Fashola is a model to all PDP Governors, less I forget, including their President,
Re: Fashola At Oxford University Lecture. Pics by Jarus(m): 3:28pm On Oct 21, 2011
jay bee:

Loma doing us proud at oxford lipsrsealed

Yeah, that's Loma to Fashola's right.

On the topic, let's give it to this Fashola, the guy deserves all the commendations. He is really trying. Apart from working and visibly seen so, he is also very sound, not the next door politician. I have listened to his interviews many times and he really impressed me. He is also on top on his job; when this man is discussing Lagos, he demonstartes knowledge of virtually every street in Lagos. He is a model of good leadership in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of Flooded Areas In Imo State / If There Is World War III How Will Nigeria Defend Itself? / <<<<<<official Thread Of Kano State Govt Dev. Projects>>>>>>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.