Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,112 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? (9097 Views)

The Us, North And Sw Are Desperate For A War In Niger Delta And Biafra Land / SE, SS And SW Leaders Must Start Talking Now! / APC Challenges Senator Ekweremadu To Enumerate What He Achieved For SE And SS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by SEner: 7:44pm On Oct 19, 2011
IITA lakeside photo; that is not Ibadan property
lol

You have to pass thru tough security to get there. It is for Oyibo and staff only lol

Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by anonymous6(f): 8:03pm On Oct 19, 2011
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by anonymous6(f): 8:19pm On Oct 19, 2011
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 8:30pm On Oct 19, 2011
SW is almost certainly greener.

What is it, 3X the land area or so? But 1/2 the population density.

Implying more virgin bush still available, and thus overall greener.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by anonymous6(f): 8:58pm On Oct 19, 2011
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 9:02pm On Oct 19, 2011
Any good fishing in that IITA lake? smiley
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by anonymous6(f): 9:08pm On Oct 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

Any good fishing in that IITA lake? smiley

not sure but I doubt it but when I found out it was in Ibadan, I was surprised. The place looks beautiful
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by smithll: 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2011
Shizophrenia patient on the loose again, btw, who release the poster from aro. Very pathetic soul. Smh
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by htajz: 9:33pm On Oct 19, 2011
southwest have less population density therefore greener , op u be olodo oo but wats with the rusty rickety houses all over southwest
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 9:38pm On Oct 19, 2011
anonymous6:

not sure but I doubt it but when I found out it was in Ibadan, I was surprised. The place looks beautiful

Indeed. Hopefully I'll get the chance to visit it someday soon.

htajz:

southwest have less population density therefore greener , op u be olodo oo but wats with the rusty rickety houses all over southwest

Very old homes. Many of these SW cities (Ibadan for example) were founded in the 1800s, just to give you a sense of how much older they are than cities say in the SE or SS.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by PointB: 10:36pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^
They need a facelift or people might actually start to believe that SW is indeed one big market for other zones.

My twenty kobo.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by anonymous6(f): 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

Very old homes. Many of these SW cities (Ibadan for example) were founded in the 1800s, just to give you a sense of how much older they are than cities say in the SE or SS.

cosign
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by realchange: 10:42pm On Oct 19, 2011
chimpanzee and gorilla, which is more "handsome"? grin lol. guys are wasting bandwidth.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 10:54pm On Oct 19, 2011
PointB:

^^^
They need a facelift or people might actually start to believe that SW is indeed one big market for other zones.

My twenty kobo.

I disagree. Unless the roofs are a hazard or dangerous, then no logical sense in forcing anyone to facelift.

Beautiful homes are nice, but even more important is functional homes. Why should someone spend his limited dollars (or naira I guess) to satisfy someone else's fashion sense?

Regarding "people might actually start. . . ", what do we care? It honestly doesn't matter lol.

Gotta focus on what is important, not the irrelevant.

Anyway I've seen enough beautiful pictures of the SW on Skyscrapercity to realize that those who focus on homes built in the late 1800s or early 1900s have an agenda.

BTW, "one big market" is a the biggest compliment you could give the SW. Today one big market for Nigeria, but hopefully one big market for Africa and the world in general. This is the path to prosperity. . .
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by PointB: 11:03pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^
Good for you. I just don't see any reason to live in a market. I'll trade in one though, while living in another serene place. So i don't mind a SW market. Lagos is not a bad one for start.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by mbatuku1: 6:32am On Oct 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Enugu was founded in the 17th century by the Nike people, while Oka was famous for blacksmiths in the 1800s, yet you do not find these cities littered with mud houses and rusty roofs today.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 6:53am On Oct 20, 2011
Eh. . .

The city didn't get its start until the colonialists came. It was an insignificant town (just a collection of villages) prior to colonization. The same cannot be said of Ibadan.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by mbatuku1: 7:31am On Oct 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Eh. . .

The city didn't get its start until the colonialists came. It was an insignificant town (just a collection of villages) prior to colonization. The same cannot be said of Ibadan.

There was a significant volume of trading going on with the Hausas and Aros in the city before the colonialists. Even the first mayor of the city was fulani, an indication of foreigners' long presence in the area.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 7:43am On Oct 20, 2011
The first mayor being Fulani doesn't really mean anything. Wasn't this first mayor in the 1960s or so? Of what relevance is this to who actually made the town significant?

It was an insignificant village prior to the colonialists arriving. They acquired land, started mining coal and this made the town economically attractive.

But you cannot attribute what exists there now to the pre-colonial people.

It would be like if Nigeria falls apart and the Gwari regain control of Abuja, they claiming that they "founded" Abuja. When it was pure bush when first under their control.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 7:49am On Oct 20, 2011
I mean you are comparing a town that had a population of under 70,000 in 1952 (thus, indicating relatively virgin land), to a town (Ibadan) that had a population of 60,000 in in the 1850s. 100 years earlier!

Lol.

This is just a silly comparison.

Maybe a Gwari man in Abuja will say that Gwarimpa was founded by his people in 1457, and then ask why Ibadan is not as uniformly developed as the town he "founded". . .
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by mbatuku1: 8:00am On Oct 20, 2011
My problem is not being able to stay online for a long stretch of time without distraction. I'll certainly take on those figures, cos I have a gut feeling you're wrong. I'll brb.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by lagcity(m): 8:36am On Oct 20, 2011
SEner:

comparative greenery between SE and SW.

very soon, we'll be comparing which region has the highest number of albino Gala sellers.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 20, 2011
Sick Fellows, smh
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by Ekiti1: 9:38am On Oct 20, 2011
What baffles me is why a sane, mature, intelligent & rational individual will start a topic like this.
Why?
Joblessness?
Or is it that ethnicity has gotten to a stage we cant think properly?
Only God can help us.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by PointB: 10:42am On Oct 20, 2011
^^^^

There is absolutely nothing wrong in the post.

The world is going green. Green is the next frontier of global competitiveness.

Be green!
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by mbatuku1: 11:22am On Oct 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

I mean you are comparing a town that had a population of under 70,000 in 1952 (thus, indicating relatively virgin land), to a town (Ibadan) that had a population of 60,000 in in the 1850s. 100 years earlier!

Lol.

This is just a silly comparison.

Maybe a Gwari man in Abuja will say that Gwarimpa was founded by his people in 1457, and then ask why Ibadan is not as uniformly developed as the town he "founded". . .

In what way is my example a silly comparison? You said there was no Enugu before the colonialist, which I disputed. Now you come with Ibadan's population being greater than Enugu. That is irrelevant to your earlier assertion of 'no enugu'.

Granted, Ibadan has a larger population, but did you also realise the fact that Ibadan is at least 10 times the size of Enugu in area.

I'm just lol @ enugu having more virgin lands. Where are the virgin lands you are talking of, when the population density in the area is very high? ?
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ocelot2006(m): 1:00pm On Oct 20, 2011
OK ENOUGH OF THIS SE vs SW/IGBO vs YORUBA!! HABA!! Both sides are very green, SW with their lush forests and the SE with their palm trees to name just a few. So pls stop it!
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by lagcity(m): 4:51pm On Oct 20, 2011
PointB:

^^^^

There is absolutely nothing wrong in the post.

The world is going green. Green is the next frontier of global competitiveness.

Be green!
your IQ is way down there. going green means reducing your carbon footprint and increasing recycling. it doesn't mean planting beautiful lawns on the roundabout.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by Afam4eva(m): 4:59pm On Oct 20, 2011
Everywhere else in the SE/SW apart from Lagos, Ibadan, Aba and Onitsha are green. The only greenery you'll find in those places especially lagos is spyrogira.
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by PointB: 5:03pm On Oct 20, 2011
lagcity:

your IQ is way down there. going green means reducing your carbon footprint and increasing recycling. it doesn't mean planting beautiful lawns on the roundabout.

^^^^

You IQ is way way lower my friend. Planting, preserving, and protecting trees is the first principle of going green!

Do you even know what carbon footprint is? Or what role plants play in carbon footprint?
Some people just open their mouth to talk trash, and the claim they are intelligent! Complete slowpoke!  shocked angry
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by ektbear: 6:19pm On Oct 20, 2011
mbatuku1:

In what way is my example a silly comparison? You said there was no Enugu before the colonialist, which I disputed. Now you come with Ibadan's population being greater than Enugu. That is irrelevant to your earlier assertion of 'no enugu'.

Granted, Ibadan has a larger population, but did you also realise the fact that Ibadan is at least 10 times the size of Enugu in area.

I'm just lol @ enugu having more virgin lands. Where are the virgin lands you are talking of, when the population density in the area is very high? ?

1. There was indeed no Enugu, at least in the modern sense, before the colonialists.
2. The population is part of the point. Part of the reason Abuja was easy to develop is because it was sparsely inhabited farmland. Much like Enugu was sparsely inhabited when the colonialists met it. The same cannot be said of Ibadan.
3. Virgin lands is obviously not a comment about TODAY. But again a comment about what it looked like even as of the 1950s.

It is like comparing the width of the roads in say London (a very old and well-established city)  to Phoenix, Arizona (comparatively quite younger).

Or the width of the roads in certain parts of downtown Houston to the width of roads out in the burbs. . .
Re: SE And SW Nigeria Which Is Greener? by mbatuku1: 7:23pm On Oct 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

1. There was indeed no Enugu, at least in the modern sense, before the colonialists.

Since the 17th century the location
of present day Enugu has been
settled by the Nike (English: /niː
ˈkeɪ/ nee-KAY) subgroup of the
Igbo people; one of Enugu's
neighbourhoods still retains the
village's old name Ogui.

The first settlement in the Enugu
area was the small Nike village of
Ogui which was present since the
era of the Atlantic Slave Trade

http://
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enugu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet The First Female Senator In Nigeria (photo) / Contract Scam: SGF Sets Presidency, Senate On Collision Course / Segun Odegbami To Contest For Ogun Governorship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.