Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? (18613 Views)

Buhari As The Minister Of Petroleum - Constitutionally Right Or Wrong? / A Special Message From The Minister Of Works / June 12th, Abiola, Susan Rice And A Cup Of Tea - Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2011
I don't see anything embarrasing about that. If certain things are alien to you, it's certainly gonna have a toll on you. Why do always worry ourselves about what white people think about us? This same people come here and mis-dance to Lagbaja's beats. I dey laugh.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by arsenefc: 5:36pm On Oct 20, 2011
afam4eva:

I don't see anything embarrasing about that. If certain things are alien to you, it's certainly gonna have a toll on you. Why do always worry ourselves about what white people think about us? This same people come here and mis-dance to Lagbaja's beats. I dey laugh.

Because we love White people and wish we could be like them.

I myself will sell my grandmother just to touch and talk to a White man. Until then, Viva La White People

I heard their shyyt dont smell, thats if they shyyt at all.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:52pm On Oct 20, 2011
High_Chief:

It was Abubakar and Azikiwe called him to order. "Abubakar inwucha ikpuchie iko"

Nna this your joke just make me pour libation to the wrong oracle, grin

Na only Hausa man fit mumu that kind thing!! grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by koolJ1(f): 5:55pm On Oct 20, 2011
Na wa oh! See as we dey fight for men dem wey don do dia own,kpuf go. All because say na we tribesman
seanet02:

Liar! It was azikwe who drank 48 million cups and Awo told him to turn TMF upside down
grin grin grin
executinal:

It was AWOLOWO, Zik told him Awolowo my brother after you finish drinking this last cup, you turn the cup upside down, ok? he respond yes sir  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
must everything be along tribal lines? Haba!
@topic,the story i heard is of a totally different person and may fan deze nonsensical tribal wars
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by koolJ1(f): 5:57pm On Oct 20, 2011
Na wa oh! See as we dey fight for men dem wey don do dia own,kpuf go. All because say na we tribesman
seanet02:

Liar! It was azikwe who drank 48 million cups and Awo told him to turn TMF upside down
grin grin grin
executinal:

It was AWOLOWO, Zik told him Awolowo my brother after you finish drinking this last cup, you turn the cup upside down, ok? he respond yes sir grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
must everything be along tribal lines? Haba!
@topic,the story i heard is of a totally different person and may fan deze nonsensical tribal wars
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by kokoA(m): 5:57pm On Oct 20, 2011
lwkmd, kai! nairaland no go kill person. grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Nymphnode(m): 5:59pm On Oct 20, 2011
The one I heard was about cutlerry. One of them had the fork and knife in the wrong hands and had to be corrected during short dialetic prayer. Na Baba Sala joke of those days
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by manny4life(m): 6:03pm On Oct 20, 2011
My father told the story; it was Abubakar--- he kept drinking and wouldn't flip the tea cup over until he was asked to,
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by eprynce(m): 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2011
It was indeed ALHAJI TAFAWA BALEWA, then prime minister of Nigeria, The great Zik had to gesture to him to turn his tea cup over,
Have you now seen why Nigeria is where we are, dummies ruling us ever since, Oh, i forgot, my grand pa was there, he told me! grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by eprynce(m): 6:18pm On Oct 20, 2011
It was indeed ALHAJI TAFAWA BALEWA, then prime minister of Nigeria, The great Zik had to gesture to him to turn his tea cup over,
Have you now seen why Nigeria is where we are, dummies ruling us ever since, Oh, i forgot, my grand pa was there, he told me! grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by gaddafe(m): 6:29pm On Oct 20, 2011
forget all these, It never happened
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Dede1(m): 8:09pm On Oct 20, 2011
What is wrong with asking for more than one tea cup? In northern region of Nigeria that gave us Tafawa Balewa, a person can drink hot tea all day amidst terrible high temperatures. In contrast to well air-condition room where the conference was held in London, Balewa decided to go for the record.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by llbhuds: 8:25pm On Oct 20, 2011
i think it was the prime mister then in the UK, BALEWA
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by macopolo: 8:47pm On Oct 20, 2011
i also heard about a one time minister, during an interview named 7up and fanta as some of our mineral resources after the interviewer had made mention of tin and coke.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by diordaves(m): 10:32pm On Oct 20, 2011
macopolo:

i also heard about a one time minister, during an interview named 7up and fanta as some of our mineral resources after the interviewer had made mention of tin and coke.

I think the government official associated with the 42 cups of tea story is the Emir of Gwandu, but the story about mineral resources was not a minister but the first republic civilian governor of Kano State, Alhaji Barkin Zuwo.

Barkin Zuwo was an enigma. He was thought to be an illiterate with a poor grasp of the English language. Asked about his running mate; he was thought to have said: don't mind Abubarker Rimi, he is always running after me. Rimi was an aspiring candidate then for the governorship and not his running mate.

Another story was about students rioting and when asked about "the restless youths" of his state; he went: youths! how will they rest, today there are in disco, tomorrow playing football. how can they rest.

A large sum of money was also rumored to be stashed under his mattress with Barkin Zuwo saying he had little respect for the banks. Nigeria do have them.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by emiye(m): 11:02pm On Oct 20, 2011
Emir of Gwandu! though not sure if it was up to 42 cups
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by emiye(m): 11:08pm On Oct 20, 2011
Umar Dikko was credited with the statement that Nigerians are not feeding from the dustbin yet!!!, When he was quizzed by a journalist about the prevailing poverty and hunger in the land.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by delpee(f): 12:20am On Oct 21, 2011
Old story. It did happen and it was a northerner but must we recap this type of story in 2011? Which prominent northerner doesnt know what to do when done with tea drinking now? Some of those yabbing are probably also learning tea table manners here for the first time
Many giggling here have had their own embarrassing moments so whats the big deal?
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by lagcity(m): 12:29am On Oct 21, 2011
is it even by force to have just one cup of tea? ppl are assuming the man didn't want multiple cups of tea. even i won't stop drinking tea in british presence. those british are very boring, so why not ease the suffering by drinking multiple cups of tea?
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by ezer(m): 12:40am On Oct 21, 2011
@boko harem, u are a foolish tribalist still suffering from colonial slavery, idiot, thunder fire ur papa nyansh.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by ezer(m): 12:53am On Oct 21, 2011
very very stu.pid post . very typical

so abubakar understood that language right. moreover did they ask you who told him to put the cup down ?
You Are totally clueless and foolish, evrything is a tribal war to u, mumu like u, your just full of bitterness n tribalism,
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by DExplorer1: 2:44am On Oct 21, 2011
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Jakumo(m): 3:44am On Oct 21, 2011
This fictitious English custom of turning a tea cup upside down exists ONLY in the confused minds of more than a few people who have responded to this thread.    The entire premise of this discussion is absurd, comical and ridiculous, since it is based entirely on patently false speculation cooked up in the fertile imagination of one or more individuals who obviously have never set foot outside of rural Africa. 

Being VERY familiar with British and American life and custom, I can attest with absolute conviction that anyone who turns their partially emptied teacup or coffee mug upside down in the UK or USA will be regarded as an uncivilized buffoon who grew up in a remote jungle village someplace.    Perhaps we will next be informed by our self-appointed table-manners consultants that one should turn their PLATE upside down in restaurants, spewing food remnants and gravy over the tablecloth, to signify that one is an uncultured chimpanzee.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by arsenefc: 3:51am On Oct 21, 2011
^^^

I guess you werent around when the event happened. Some of us here witnessed it live as part of the entourage while the rest watched  it on TV back home

It was on national TV when it happened and I watched the news live on NTA.

You obviously arent as familiar with British table manners as you have inarticulately described in your post. Sometimes, it is better to not speak unless you are sure of improving the silence. grin
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Jakumo(m): 3:55am On Oct 21, 2011
arsenefc:

You obviously arent as familiar with British table manners as you have inarticulately described in your post. Sometimes, it is better to not speak unless you are sure of improving the silence. grin

Please feel free to turn your cups and plates upside down sir, if that makes you feel that onlookers will regard you as a unique individual. I generally abide by local custom wherever I am, so as not to stand out and amuse folks.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by koolJ1(f): 4:00am On Oct 21, 2011
diordaves:

I think the government official associated with the 42 cups of tea story is the Emir of Gwandu, but the story about mineral resources was not a minister but the first republic civilian governor of Kano State, Alhaji Barkin Zuwo.

Barkin Zuwo was an enigma. He was thought to be an illiterate with a poor grasp of the English language. Asked about his running mate; he was thought to have said: don't mind Abubarker Rimi, he is always running after me. Rimi was an aspiring candidate then for the governorship and not his running mate.

Another story was about students rioting and when asked about "the restless youths" of his state; he went: youths! how will they rest, today there are in disco, tomorrow playing football. how can they rest.

A large sum of money was also rumored to be stashed under his mattress with Barkin Zuwo saying he had little respect for the banks. Nigeria do have them.
*belly aches from laughter!!!*
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by itiswell1(m): 6:39am On Oct 21, 2011
You must be kidding me
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by hercules07: 7:01am On Oct 21, 2011
It is a myth that such a thing happened, those men you guys have been mentioning are far more cultured than most of you guys, they were peeps who had been dining with the british for a long time, it is just one of those stories told to discredit your opponent like aregbesola slapping people or Patience Jonathan's bullets (scratch the last one, it happens).
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by mystikal(m): 7:17am On Oct 21, 2011
I remember this gist. I remember Balewa was the culprit mentioned.
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 21, 2011
Ibo man too educated and polished. Thats why they are hated by other tribes. Imagine Azikiwe telling that clown wot to do and also Ojukwu leading Gowon to Aburi to sign document he(Gowon)can not interpret
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by Olaone1: 9:10am On Oct 21, 2011
Jakumo:

This fictitious English custom of turning a tea cup upside down exists ONLY in the confused minds of more than a few people who have responded to this thread.    The entire premise of this discussion is absurd, comical and ridiculous, since it is based entirely on patently false speculation cooked up in the fertile imagination of one or more individuals who obviously have never set foot outside of rural Africa. 

Thanks bro.

I have noticed that most Nairalanders are liars. . . they are!

Very soon they will be here to bruit about this false custom. The same people who fib about their billionaire background yet see Debenhams as expensive.

I have lived in the same flat with these Oyinbos (English), studied in the same classroom with them, worked with them and . . . . .  err . . you know it.

I still do.

I am sure some people here will turn to jellies when they see these original Oyinbos.

No wonder most people in Nigeria still call Pakistanis, Indians and Egyptians Oyinbos.

Turn the cup upside down? Heheheh
Re: History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? by mbatuku1: 9:34am On Oct 21, 2011
I think it's Balewa. I used to wonder why my mum always call one of my siblings that loves tea Balewa. Funny enough I never asked her. Now I understand. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Politics News / UNGA 74: President Buhari Spotted With UNGA President In New York (photo) / Igbos Have So Much In Lagos, Can’t Think Of Attacking It ― Ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.