Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? (7190 Views)

Nmamdi Kanu Might Be Right That Buhari Is Not Alive / John Barnes: ‘liverpool Need Another Forward But Mbappe May Not Be Right Fit’ / How To Correct The Darkening Tv Screen While Watching With A Gotv Decoder. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by MorataFC: 2:36pm On Sep 29, 2023
grin
None
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Kenmatt(m): 2:37pm On Sep 29, 2023
I didn't go through down however.

You need to be right and correct.

Can you be correct without being right?
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by judedwriter(m): 2:37pm On Sep 29, 2023
I'm right it's letter 6, you are correct it is number 9.

Both are Synonyms.... however we can be proven wrong when we see it in each other perspectives.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BoldBrainz(m): 2:39pm On Sep 29, 2023
Neoteny7:
This is nonsense.

Being right is the same as being correct, as the alternative is being wrong.

What you're attributing as being right when someone strongly believes their own conviction whether correct or not is simply their opinion, or confirmation bias.

You've put paid to the issue, and that's all there is to it!

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Neoteny7: 2:57pm On Sep 29, 2023
BoldBrainz:

You've put paid to the issue, and that's all there is to it!

And you're right!
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Laple0541(m): 3:16pm On Sep 29, 2023
Correct is a factual expression that if being put into tests years to come will still produce thesame result, while right on the other hand is a circumstantial statement that could be subjected to changes in the future.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Myer(m): 3:18pm On Sep 29, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Most of the times, when someone is right, he is also correct.

But some times, he may be very right, but he won't be correct; and he would be faced with the dilemma of choosing whether to continue being right, or to entertain a little bend in his convictions in order to be correct.

So, if you're faced with such dilemma, which option would you go for??
Would you strongly maintain your stance on what you think is right, until a stronger logic or reasoning convinces you otherwise??
Or would you agree with popular stances which are opposed to your stance (even without a strong reason for doing so), so as to flow with the stance and be correct in their eyes.??

This is one of the most profound topics I've come across on NL.
Thanks for sharing.
Learning from comments as we hopefully arrive at a consensus of what is rightly correct.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by lonelygem(m): 3:45pm On Sep 29, 2023
emmnprince:
OP from your own thinking, is truth absolute or relative?

English luminary spotted¡

You see.. sometimes you find ords to use to convince the audience. Right is a perception while correct is absolute, infact it supercedes every other person's opinion.

It took me about 2 hours to analyze the proper use of 'incredible' and 'incredulous' while I was caught up in a discussion with learned colleagues at University of Abuja a few weeks ago..

The truth is we don't have to be eloquent to speak a perfect and well polished english.
Good English with great composure is not always soothing to hear, infact most of our wonderful reporters, favorite actors and actresses, programs and event anchor disappointingly commits terrible grammatical blunders. Sadly the society appreciate those who are fluent and eloquent not minding the content and construction..
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by enemyofprogress: 4:12pm On Sep 29, 2023
Na right now. Na who correct epp?

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Eben24: 4:34pm On Sep 29, 2023
You got all the answers in a test through malpractice, But is it Right to do that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Airlohim(m): 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Better is like precise. Right is like accurate. Being accurate is better because you can be precise ( better) but inaccurate but you can't be correct (right) and be wrong.

It takes more extra self discipline, effort, time and patience to be right but it's always worth it at the end. Most of the people whose legacies endured are because they are right not because they are better.

Better should not be the end but means to the end(right). Just do the right things no matter whose ox is gored, even if you suffer for it, you will never suffer in vain or fail to get justice from man and God. All who mock you will end in disgrace at last.Check my signature for free stuffs!

Olodo, you don leave wetin dem ask you begin answer another thing. The question is between being "right" and being "correct", which is better? Nobody included "better" as part of the variables. But then again, you're a zombie so I understand why you posses the thought process of a donkey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:03pm On Sep 29, 2023
Myer:

This is one of the most profound topics I've come across on NL.
Thanks for sharing.
Learning from comments as we hopefully arrive at a consensus of what is rightly correct.

We hope to always be rightly correct, and to be correctly right at all times..

But in reality,, a time must always come when you have to make HARD CHOICES.!!

When you must either be right or correct..
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by phemmyfour: 5:08pm On Sep 29, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Most of the times, when someone is right, he is also correct.

But some times, he may be very right, but he won't be correct; and he would be faced with the dilemma of choosing whether to continue being right, or to entertain a little bend in his convictions in order to be correct.

So, if you're faced with such dilemma, which option would you go for??
Would you strongly maintain your stance on what you think is right, until a stronger logic or reasoning convinces you otherwise??
Or would you agree with popular stances which are opposed to your stance (even without a strong reason for doing so), so as to flow with the stance and be correct in their eyes.??

To be correct politically and others is what is killing the country. Do the right thing at ALL times

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:38pm On Sep 29, 2023
gisevak:

Yes, it's possible for someone to be "right" in a certain sense, such as morally or ethically, but not necessarily "correct" in terms of factual accuracy or adherence to established rules.
I think I understand what you're trying to say here..

Morals vs Logic..
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by gisevak: 5:48pm On Sep 29, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

Morals vs Logic..
Good!

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Adewale1603(m): 5:58pm On Sep 29, 2023
Right and correct are synonyms nw. They means the same thing
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Adewale1603(m): 6:00pm On Sep 29, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

Morals vs Logic..
that morals is simple. But that logics, you go explain and explain tire, no evidence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by bluefilm: 6:02pm On Sep 29, 2023
To be right.
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Myer(m): 6:24pm On Sep 29, 2023
judedwriter:

Both are Synonyms.... however we can be proven wrong when we see it in each other perspectives.

But 6 is 6 and 9 is 9. Two different numbers that only look similar depending on perspective/view.

You can view 6 as 9 by virtue of location but that does not make 6 to be 9 and vice versa.

This is instructive because it forms the basis/crux of most arguments.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by Federalofficia(m): 9:10pm On Sep 29, 2023
To be right is objective to be correct is subjective or relative
FreeStuffsNG:
Better is like precise. Right is like accurate. Being accurate is better because you can be precise ( better) but inaccurate but you can't be correct (right) and be wrong.

It takes more extra self discipline, effort, time and patience to be right but it's always worth it at the end. Most of the people whose legacies endured are because they are right not because they are better.

Better should not be the end but means to the end(right). Just do the right things no matter whose ox is gored, even if you suffer for it, you will never suffer in vain or fail to get justice from man and God. All who mock you will end in disgrace at last.Check my signature for free stuffs!

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by HellVictorinho6(m): 9:14pm On Sep 29, 2023
Neither is better than the other
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by HellVictorinho6(m): 9:17pm On Sep 29, 2023
Federalofficia:
To be right is objective to be correct is subjective or relative

What u call objective may be put as subjective by sum1 else

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by HellVictorinho6(m): 9:43pm On Sep 29, 2023
Adewale1603:
that morals is simple. But that logics, you go explain and explain tire, no evidence

Morals depend on civics and social studies

Logic is studied in maths.

at the end,they are different ways to check same the case or the case that we check.

We also have the scientific method for introducing issues in physics and chemistry.

In any case , u can be right or correct about anything . Right equals correct equals worthy to be stated or performed.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by GrandTempestPro: 5:43am On Sep 30, 2023
Right encompasses both the message and the messenger whereas correct is merely restricted to the message.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:01am On Sep 30, 2023
emmnprince:
OP from your own thinking, is truth absolute or relative?

You might have to read the main post again please..
You wouldn't want me to be repeating myself.
(Even if you want though, I won't do that)
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:02am On Sep 30, 2023
Bluezy13:

They Don't mean the same.
Correctness is based on a measurable criterion of reference. Correctness is based on an expected value or benchmark such as ethics.

Being right is based on moral perception which may differ based on individuals and the society.

Thanks for throwing more light.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:05am On Sep 30, 2023
BabaIbo:
Comfusionist

You just reminded me my nickname those days.. (2006-2007)
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:07am On Sep 30, 2023
Kenmatt:

Can you be correct without being right?

Answer this..

Someone who wholeheartedly voted for “BOOT-PARTY” in the 2023 PRESIDENTIAL Election,, did he do the right thing??
And most importantly,, did he do the correct thing??
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:09am On Sep 30, 2023
judedwriter:

Answer this..

Someone who wholeheartedly voted for “BOOT-PARTY” in the 2023 PRESIDENTIAL Election,, did he do the right thing??
And most importantly,, did he do the correct thing??
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:09am On Sep 30, 2023
Neoteny7:

And you're right!

No. He is correct
Re: Which One Is Better? To Be Right? Or To Be Correct.? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:15am On Sep 30, 2023
GrandTempestPro:
Right encompasses both the message and the messenger whereas correct is merely restricted to the message.

Wooww..
Another angle to the discussion..
Kudos..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Does Nicetohave Keep Changing His Picture? / Nairaland Finest Gals / Please How Do I Get To Ojodu Berger From Sango

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.