Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,950 members, 7,848,855 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:07 AM

Result Making Got Easier, Learning Reducing, Education Standard Falling. WHY? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Result Making Got Easier, Learning Reducing, Education Standard Falling. WHY? (101 Views)

LASG Moves To Improve Education Standard In Schools / YABATECH Final Year Studen Dies After Falling Off Car During Signout Celebration / Heritage Ajibola: OAU Student Dies After Falling Into Septic Tank In Her Hostel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Result Making Got Easier, Learning Reducing, Education Standard Falling. WHY? by OCompatriot: 7:36am On Sep 29, 2023
Note: All the points discussed below may not apply to all students alike, but many of these have culminated in the current state, and they are observable in the majority.

A. Are the subjects getting more difficult, making people prefer to hire mercenaries, or explore other unconventional avenues?
I don't think so. As a student in the Art department during my school days, I found out that comprehending older literatures, like the works of Shakespeare and the like, proved to be a more difficult task than getting a grip of contemporary works. Perhaps those great old works are still in the syllabus. But, I can fairly say that subjects have not got harder for students. There has to be another explanation for the loss of interest that plagues students as we observe. grin

B. Is the curriculum so bulky that teachers and students are under intense pressure to get it dusted and present result for certain reasons?
Whether No or Yes, one thing that cannot be clearer is the fact that everyone is in haste to get the result. Teachers have their target; the course outline must be covered, that's how they ensure they have something to take home.
On their part, students are in a hurry to be on the same level with their mates and, call it love or war, the end justifies the means here.
Consequently, the time required for proper teaching and learning of courses are cut to the chase (the result), and from SS One to Three, we find out that the only thing different from notebooks in a student's backpack is Past Questions and Answers Series. Where are the textbooks? How on earth is learning supposed to take place in this situation?!

C. Is it because the rigours and cost of real learning are not always worth it, and so, people choose the affordable alternative?
Maybe. Even before the cost of education in Nigeria got this scary, pursuing quality education had always been an expensive venture. Some would say, the credit goes to the government, or should we call it debit?! angry
The fact is uncontestable that learning costs time, money, physical and mental labour and so on.
In Nigeria where the rate of unemployment is very high, people who can't afford the costs of unimpaired education often resort to the popular and more affordable alternative. They say, it's easier to bypass process and pay for result than waste resources on multiple academic sessions.

D. Are crucial "distractions" (money, profile building, 'Japa' syndrome etc) overwhelming the value of education?
I don't know if all these distractions have brought education to the point it is now, I only believe they are also seriously taking their toll. These are distractions with very strong economic backbone.
Those who had privilege among older generation often viewed education as a 'means to' most of these 'ends' and so, they struggled to make the best out of school up to tertiary levels.
On the contrary, our generation is such in which a lot of young people go about with the belief that formal education doesn't really increase their prospect of success in a capital driven world where money matters get the primacy. Would you say they are wrong?
What if there's a quick way to get the certificate/result and keep focus on the more "crucial" wink matters of building a profile and making money?

E. Is schooling getting boring or fun is getting the better part?
Well, my thought on this is that schooling experience at a time, and for one person, has not been the same with others.
Some experienced free education while others didn't, some enjoyed good facilities while others didn't, some went to expensive schools while others managed state owned schools, but there's something that connects all students regardless of condition and era — every student had his/her fun time and work time, but some learnt while others didn't; some managed to get educated while others didn't. I guess it all depends on the individual. So, do you think fun is getting the better part? I'm sure there are those who believe the fun is not even enough!
Or, you think Jack won't be dull even if denied his play time? Please go over to the comments section. grin

F. Now, are schools/parents more concerned about students passing WAEC rather than really imparting knowledge that would be useful in practical terms?
Permit me to share. As a student, I remember that I seldom studied because I wanted to pass, though I always maintained a great level of concentration during lessons (I'm not saying I always had the best result at every exercise). But I remember well that if anything ever made me pick up my notebook, I read to really know, understand, and be able to apply in real life situations, and that hasn't left me. Those who do so know how helpful that is. In fact, that is what I understand to be the true meaning of education—the practicality of acquired experience.
But, then and now, I see a lot of guys around, whose only reason for being in school is to make their papers "anyhow", and I fear for the fate of education and the potential effects of this dangerous trend on our society.
On the part of parents, the paranoia often takes the form of this syndrome: "my child must not be left behind by his classmates, If Tega gets promotion, then Tegbwolo must be promoted, whatever it takes!" And, behold, education becomes a sprint race!

G. Are students finding the bypass (all the "pass—anyhow" tactics) more handy?
I have almost no reason to doubt the hypothesis that most students are increasingly opting for the bypasses. We may have discussed some of the reasons already —there are perhaps up to a thousand— but the effect of this on education can not just be overemphasized! It constantly delivers heavy blows to the cause of education. Miracle centres, Wonder Schools, Egungun Academy, Last-Bus Stop group of Schools, CABADED Institutions etc. grin You can't make up the list!
WHAT CAN WE DO??!!

(1) (Reply)

Masterpapers-expert.com Review / Exploring The Benefits Of Studying MBBS In Nepal / How To Become A Certified Ethical Hacker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.