Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,208 members, 7,829,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Advice On Scholarship - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice On Scholarship (473 Views)

Japa: Over 137 Students On Scholarship Abroad Absconded — TETFUND / Zamfara Students In Cyprus On Scholarship Cry Out As Government Abandons Them / FG Accused Of Abandoning Chibok Girls On Scholarship At American University Yola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Scholarship by Nietzsches(f): 9:23am On Oct 01, 2023
Hello there. I wrote this year's UTME exams and had a score of 286. I have been offered admission to study Computer Science in a Federal University.

I'd like to know if they are any scholarships available to freshman or I have to have a CGPA before I can apply for one.

If available, I'd really appreciate if I could be referred to any. Thanks for your time. smiley
Re: Advice On Scholarship by Nietzsches(f): 9:25am On Oct 01, 2023
Cc Gerrard59, Pansophist.
Re: Advice On Scholarship by LandMann: 10:39am On Oct 01, 2023
Back then in school, from 200 level, once your first year CGPA is out, you can start applying for scholarships, especially if you're from oil producing community or state e.g DESOPADEC.... Also, some oil companies give scholarship too like TOTAL EF, AGIP... the most important thing, try and get a very good result in your first year by giving 100% attention to your studies...

If you want to give yourself the greatest chance of excelling, start learning German as a hobby and give it serious attention alongside your studies.

Partake in few sport activities to keep fit or just exercise by going for early morning jogs some days of the week...

Leave parties and church fellowships alone o...

In one year time you'll have at least a second class upper of 4. and above CGPA, or a first class if you're truly determined to escape entrenched poverty and unemployment in Nigeria... You'll be at at least A2 level in German language...

With above results, you'll get opportunity to apply for scholarships and win the scholarship if you so like Nigeria and want to stay in Nigeria to continue studying and you'll also get the opportunity to apply for and win scholarship to go study in Germany, which will throw a million open doors for you and your future generations...
Re: Advice On Scholarship by Nietzsches(f): 10:55am On Oct 01, 2023
LandMann:
Back then in school, from 200 level, once your first year CGPA is out, you can start applying for scholarships, especially if you're from oil producing community or state e.g DESOPADEC.... Also, some oil companies give scholarship too like TOTAL EF, AGIP... the most important thing, try and get a very good result in your first year by giving 100% attention to your studies...

If you want to give yourself the greatest chance of excelling, start learning German as a hoppy and give it serious attention alongside your studies.

Partake in few sport activities to keep fit or just exercise by going for early morning jogs some days of the week...

Leave parties and church fellowships alone o...

In one year time you'll have at least a second class upper of 4. and above CGPA, or a first class if you're truly determined to escape entrenched poverty and unemployment in Nigeria... You'll be at at least A2 level in German language...

With above results, you'll get opportunity to apply for scholarships and win the scholarship if you so like Nigeria and want to stay in Nigeria to continue studying and you'll also get the opportunity to apply for and win scholarship to go study in Germany, which will throw a million open doors for you and your future generations...
Thanks so much, I really appreciate. Yes, I'm from the Niger Delta.
Re: Advice On Scholarship by sageb: 3:17pm On Oct 01, 2023
Nietzsches:

Your State of origin?
Re: Advice On Scholarship by Venekconsultt: 3:40pm On Oct 01, 2023
According to the heading of the trend. When applying to any scholarships, try to free/ remove your mind from it. Just go ahead with your normal life and avoid those saying " THEM DON ALREADY SELECT THE WINNERS"
"SCHOLARSHIP NA SCAM".

All the best and congratulations sir/Ma'am
Re: Advice On Scholarship by Nietzsches(f): 12:11am On Oct 02, 2023
sageb:

Your State of origin?
You guessed right.
Re: Advice On Scholarship by MrsTwrite(f): 1:20am On Oct 02, 2023
Scholarship in Nigeria is a big scam
Re: Advice On Scholarship by Gerrard59(m): 3:23am On Oct 02, 2023
Nietzsches:
Hello there. I wrote this year's UTME exams and had a score of 286. I have been offered admission to study Computer Science in a Federal University.

I'd like to know if they are any scholarships available to freshman or I have to have a CGPA before I can apply for one.

If available, I'd really appreciate if I could be referred to any. Thanks for your time. smiley

Check your state government and senatorial/HoR representative for bursaries and student support. Do your research to know when MTN, Chevron, Seplat, ExxonMobil and other organisations advertise scholarship programs. Know their requirements from previous sessions and plan ahead.

If you are from an oil-producing state, you would have many offers. Your program is good for it. Engineering and medical programs tend to be listed as opposed to biology-related courses. That is, a Computer Science student will have greater scholarship opportunities than his/her Biochemistry counterpart. The offers from state governments and political office holders tend to come without CGPA restrictions but offer less financial support. Those from private organisations have strict CGPA requirements and offer higher tuition support. The BGS in my department (a biology-related course) studying Mechanical Engineering at a sister university enjoyed both MTN and Chevron scholarships: I think 150K per year from each organisation. The scholarships really assisted him in many ways.

Some peg their CGPA at 3.5/5.0. Others do it at 4.0. To be on the safe side and be opportune to qualify for many, because the competition will be fierce, try to maintain a CGPA of 4.0/5.0. If you had a high JAMB score of >300, I would have recommended the full tuition support offered by StanbicIBTC. It covers your entire program duration. Na from research I sabi this one. So, do your research. Unlike other countries, there are no limits to how many scholarships you can get. I know a distant schoolmate who I was told also enjoyed scholarships from three organisations during his studies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice On Scholarship by Gerrard59(m): 3:29am On Oct 02, 2023
Nietzsches:

I beg you, don't learn German if you intend to study abroad, You are better off learning Spanish, which is easier to grasp than German. To obtain a student visa to Germany, as I write, is EXTREMELY TOUGH for many students without a First Class. Those with scholarships are favoured, BUT the timeline compared to say the US, UK, Canada etc before they can get an interview date (not guaranteed the visa will be issued) is very long.

South American universities are less costly and offer extremely favourable immigration opportunities. Some have a straightforward path to the US - which is indisputably the best place for black folks to thrive/excel professionally. Don't take my word for it, do your research. A Nairalander who quoted me to know about studying in Japan has a BA in German and found it difficult to get an interview date. NOTE: A BA in German o. German student visa was easy to obtain before Covid, not anymore. Indians even face longer times than us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Scholarship by Gerrard59(m): 3:32am On Oct 02, 2023
MrsTwrite:
Scholarship in Nigeria is a big scam

First, that is a lie. I know many persons who have benefitted from scholarships, and they knew nobody for that to happen.

Second, based on the side-hustle you advertised in your signature. Don't you think you scare away potential clients by saying that scholarships in Nigeria are scams?

Make una dey try use una head o.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Scholarship by MrsTwrite(f): 7:11am On Oct 02, 2023
Gerrard59:

First, that is a lie. I know many persons who have benefitted from scholarships, and they knew nobody for that to happen.

Second, based on the side-hustle you advertised in your signature. Don't you think you scare away potential clients by saying that scholarships in Nigeria are scams?

Make una dey try use una head o.

E work for you no mean say e work for me. I applied 10 good times.
Re: Advice On Scholarship by Gerrard59(m): 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2023
MrsTwrite:

E work for you no mean say e work for me. I applied 10 good times.

You just did not qualify. However, that does not make scholarships in Nigeria to be scams..

1 Like

Re: Advice On Scholarship by Nietzsches(f): 11:06am On Oct 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

Check your state government and senatorial/HoR representative for bursaries and student support. Do your research to know when MTN, Chevron, Seplat, ExxonMobil and other organisations advertise scholarship programs. Know their requirements from previous sessions and plan ahead.

If you are from an oil-producing state, you would have many offers. Your program is good for it. Engineering and medical programs tend to be listed as opposed to biology-related courses. That is, a Computer Science student will have greater scholarship opportunities than his/her Biochemistry counterpart. The offers from state governments and political office holders tend to come without CGPA restrictions but offer less financial support. Those from private organisations have strict CGPA requirements and offer higher tuition support. The BGS in my department (a biology-related course) studying Mechanical Engineering at a sister university enjoyed both MTN and Chevron scholarships: I think 150K per year from each organisation. The scholarships really assisted him in many ways.

Some peg their CGPA at 3.5/5.0. Others do it at 4.0. To be on the safe side and be opportune to qualify for many, because the competition will be fierce, try to maintain a CGPA of 4.0/5.0. If you had a high JAMB score of >300, I would have recommended the full tuition support offered by StanbicIBTC. It covers your entire program duration. Na from research I sabi this one. So, do your research. Unlike other countries, there are no limits to how many scholarships you can get. I know a distant schoolmate who I was told also enjoyed scholarships from three organisations during his studies.
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this.
Sorry for my late response.
Re: Advice On Scholarship by Nietzsches(f): 11:08am On Oct 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

I beg you, don't learn German if you intend to study abroad, You are better off learning Spanish, which is easier to grasp than German. To obtain a student visa to Germany, as I write, is EXTREMELY TOUGH for many students without a First Class. Those with scholarships are favoured, BUT the timeline compared to say the US, UK, Canada etc before they can get an interview date (not guaranteed the visa will be issued) is very long.

South American universities are less costly and offer extremely favourable immigration opportunities. Some have a straightforward path to the US - which is indisputably the best place for black folks to thrive/excel professionally. Don't take my word for it, do your research. A Nairalander who quoted me to know about studying in Japan has a BA in German and found it difficult to get an interview date. NOTE: A BA in German o. German student visa was easy to obtain before Covid, not anymore. Indians even face longer times than us.
Thanks for this too.
I was learning Spanish, I've got a smattering of it, although I lost motivation to learn. I'll continue.

Thanks for yours time, I really appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

Shortcut In Life: Immortality Through Alphabets / Problem With Unad Post Ume Screening Slip / Are U A Born Again Christain, Then Join Kingbuilders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.