Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,328 members, 7,850,166 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:34 PM

Adieu To Khaddafi - One Enigmatic Character - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Adieu To Khaddafi - One Enigmatic Character (628 Views)

Adieu To The Great Madiba / Adieu Madiba, Gone Too Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Adieu To Khaddafi - One Enigmatic Character by koruji(m): 1:18am On Oct 21, 2011
Unlike the case of Osama Bin Laden the death of Khaddafi doesn't make me happy. In fact I feel a little sadness about his passing.

The nature of Khaddafi's 42+ years of rule cannot be easily defined. He started out as the "savior" of his people. In years past, he was a hero to many a young "would-be" revolutionary. He stayed a Col. throughout his life, in contrast to our own paper Generals. His personal security was top-notch and much feared - the effect of many international and national assassination attempts.

Along the way the arrogance of power and oil wealth developed into a messianic complex. Col. Khaddafi thought himself a ruler of Africa and confronter of the world's great powers. He stretched his hand too far, fomented many wars and became complicit in state-sponsored terrorism.

As the end drew near, it seemed Col. Khaddafi went mad. He called himself "King of Kings". He would deliver mumbling speeches at the U.N., refusing to observe any time limits or caring about his audience. He became increasingly belligerent, with an excessive desire to disregard any form of regulation. He visited America and sought to spread is Bedouin tent in the middle of New York/New Jersey under the stars. At the same time, he addressed the President of the world's greatest power as "my son".

Col. Khaddafi went from insane rhetoric to reconciliatory words. He suddenly decided to give up his chemical and nuclear weapons program, attempted to befriend America, while at the same time embracing a known terrorist. He sought a United States of Africa, dressed and behaved as its phantom head when he led the toothless O.A.U. At the same time he encouraged Nigeria to divide. Col. Khaddafi sought to support the needy, yet kept billions away in the same Western banks he derided, while his sons partied and shimmied away to Beyonce's violently gyrating behind. At the end he called his countrymen rats, promising to go from house to house to eliminate them. He promised the world an unending war and spoke of becoming the next Osama Bin Laden - I guess the world took him up on his words on that one and silently thanked the Lord of the Universe that he had given up his WMD only a few years before.

Col. Khaddafi was a character no doubt. No doubt, his fellow dictators on the African landscape are going to miss his financial support and backing as they reconsider what might befall them in the days ahead.

Wherever you are tonight Col., adieu.
Re: Adieu To Khaddafi - One Enigmatic Character by Kilode1: 1:55am On Oct 21, 2011
Very well written Koruji. Today, I'm ambivalent about Ghaddafi's death. I'm happy for his people though. Another Opportunity to restart and fix errors.

Power is transient. . . He was warned. .he failed to heed.

(1) (Reply)

Occupation 101 [full Documentary] / Rothschilds Eye Cross-channel Unity / Israel Is Not Commited To The Annihilation Of Iran And Other Islamic States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.