Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,106 members, 7,814,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers (28860 Views)

Eight Nigerian Teachers Travel To US To Teach Yoruba In Varsities, Colleges / List Of Lecturers Accused Of Sex-For-Grades Scandals (Photos) / Sex For Grades: BBC Releases The Full Documentary Of Lecturers Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by MasterTeeUSA: 7:44pm On Oct 05, 2023
If this is true, then they should post the jobs so others can apply for it. Case closed...but they wont because they might still be collecting salaries and sharing....or those in the school might be covering those classes and collecting double pay. Let those that want to japa ...japa...then post the jobs for others to get employed. Case CLOSED

ijustdey:

https://guardian.ng/news/crisis-looms-in-varsities-over-mass-exodus-of-lecturers/
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by lightwind(m): 9:06pm On Oct 05, 2023
Splitmind:

Yes we don't care if you like cry! grin
Yeah, because everything is Okay and going with you.

You do not care about others
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by VULCAN(m): 9:25pm On Oct 05, 2023
I know there is a serious problem but whoever wrote this article is a natural born liar.

70%, 75%

Where did he conjure up such figures from?
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by vislabraye(m): 10:25pm On Oct 05, 2023
nairalanda1:
sad

1.This shows that there has been 8 years of disaster, and the effects of corruption. I have to mention this

2.It also shows the effect of low fees, low fees and did I say low fees and low income.

In 2018, the then VC of ABU Zaria gave a speech. In the speech, he made two comments that I am going to list below

1.His overhead costs for the previous year were 600 million naira. Government gave him 120 million. Where is he going to find the remainder of the money

2.If you want Cambridge level universities, pay Cambridge level fees.

Now, you are free to insult, abuse, mock, call me insensitive, call me the son of a canine, etc.

But our universites are and always have been BROKE. And underfunded. As a result, we cannot do high quality research, pay high quality salaries, and pay for high quality facilites. The hostels and living accomodation are shanties, and the staff accomodation is no better either( by the late 1980's, staff living in university accomodation had to pay for repairs out of their pocket, because the unis had no money)

Back to ABU. ABU's budget was N25 billion naira or 26 million pounds.. Cambridge uni.. 2 billion pounds with an endowment of 9 billion pounds.

Let that sink in.

Let that sink in.

And yet, many people come here and expect our universites to be like Cambridge on such small fees. Expect them to conduct world class research on such small fees.

Nigerians, make we think.

We have these choices.

1.We can raise fees, or let the unis set fees...so that they can earn money and pay for improvements, and retain staff..

2.We can do as Denmark does and pay for free education with half our annual income...that is everyone from Dangote and Ned to the beggar on the street.

3.Or we can pretend university is cheap, and continue to lose staff numbers, and lose retention of people.

It goes beyond APC, PDP, and LP....because this headline...awas the same headline in the 1980's 1990's 20000's and even as recently as 10-15 years ago. University lecturers have been japaing for DECADES. I mean for decades. We don't have enough lecturers, and enough spaces....because we think that cambridge level education costs less than N20000 a year, when it is actually more than 2 million.

But we got to let the poor breathe, eh?

Stop all this selective arguments. Why must you compare our schools to those of UK ?
WHAT about Germany, Sweden, Russia to mention but a few that offer free education or pay nominal fees ?
Are their schools not still world class ? The truth is that this government is not trying at all.
How much is dollar to a naira today ? Compare it to a few months back. Look at the cost of fuel and power. Has minimum wage increased ?
If you don't know, things are getting worse. When you give rat fish what do you expect? Forget about tribe and religion and hold your government accountable.
GEJ government wasn't as bad as this but look at the protest. Fuel price wasn't this bad but imagine how you guys all came out to call him all sorts of names. You will be a hypocrite if you condemned GEJ but praise this government.
We know that people jakpa. But listen it's not as bad as it is today. Funny thing is that you don't speak with facts and figures. This country will head for doom if care is not taken.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by Ayodeji2k14: 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2023
xandy84:
Like I said earlier, you have valid points but the term "world class" is subjective. I graduated from Unilag and I presently live in an area that has 3 universites. Namely, ODU, NSU and EVMS in Virginia. These universites are considered top notch but add all these universites together in term of structure, they are below Unilag. Our educational institutions need urgent financial interventions but still not the worse and our best will compare and compete with the so called world class universites in US and UK.
I used to live few miles down the road from Chicago state university. CSU is not bigger, not finer, does not have a better structures than Unilag. That is a fact

But they have better facilities. Check that out

Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by Bizibi(m): 7:45am On Oct 06, 2023
pongwa:
Mr. Man if you wanna leave, leave
mtcheeew.....
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by pongwa(m): 10:14am On Oct 06, 2023
Bizibi:
mtcheeew.....
back to sender
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by nairalanda1(m): 11:13am On Oct 06, 2023
vislabraye:

Stop all this selective arguments. Why must you compare our schools to those of UK ?
WHAT about Germany, Sweden, Russia to mention but a few that offer free education or pay nominal fees ?

Germany, Sweden all pay tax rates at a very high state that if your government implemented it, you would cry well well.

They also got higher GDP than Nigeria.

Try harder.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by grandstar(m): 12:07pm On Oct 06, 2023
RepoMan007:

You and your stupid arguments again. After petrol subsidy, it is education subsidy.

Is Cambridge the only school in the world? If we pay lecturers by Cambridge standard, will they pay utility bills at same cost in UK? Or eat at same cost in UK? Or move around at same rate as UK? Or pay taxes at same rate? Or leave girls alone like Cambridge lecturers do?

Your brain should tell you it isnt the same thing to live in UK and Nigeria so same labour should never be rewarded based on profession but on many factors.

Never argue based on sentiments. nairalanda1 made a lot of sense.

When he said Cambridge, he isn't saying pay the same wage as Cambridge but pay them sufficiently so they can put in their best.

It would be nice if university tuition could be free but if free means poor quality and substandard graduates, then why live in fantasy?

1 Like

Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by RepoMan007: 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2023
grandstar:

Never argue based on sentiments. nairalanda1 made a lot of sense.

When he said Cambridge, he isn't saying pay the same wage as Cambridge but pay them sufficiently so they can put in their best.

It would be nice if university tuition could be free but if free means poor quality and substandard graduates, then why live in fantasy?

I will pretend I believe you in entirety.

He has that trait of going allout to serve as mouthpiece for western ideas here. Western ideas that enslave us allover again.

This same argument has been repeated by him before and is very wrong. If you pay lecturers by western standard, will you pay doctors, lawyers, teachers, and public servants generally by same standard. If I charge you N500 for a 75cl bottled water will you willingly pay? We want to westernize cost of service but not service standard. That's severe stupidity in my opinion.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by IbeOkehie: 12:25pm On Oct 06, 2023
xandy84:
Like I said earlier, you have valid points but the term "world class" is subjective. I graduated from Unilag and I presently live in an area that has 3 universites. Namely, ODU, NSU and EVMS in Virginia. These universites are considered top notch but add all these universites together in term of structure, they are below Unilag. Our educational institutions need urgent financial interventions but still not the worse and our best will compare and compete with the so called world class universites in US and UK.
I used to live few miles down the road from Chicago state university. CSU is not bigger, not finer, does not have a better structures than Unilag. That is a fact

Unilag is NOT better quality than any of the universities you've cited. Unilag where female students have sex with university officials to get admission? Only the children of the RICH and POWERFUL can get into any desirable course like Medicine, Law, Engineering in Unilag.

As for quality of Nigerian students in general who perform well abroad...those students perform well DESPITE the horrible conditions at Unilag because they're innately intelligent and also for cultural reasons. In any case they don't actually EXCEL in the final output measured by innovation, intellectual property, wealth and jobs created by companies they've founded in the USA or anywhere else.

Have a good day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by grandstar(m): 12:35pm On Oct 06, 2023
RepoMan007:
I will pretend I believe you in entirety.

He has that trait of going allout to serve as mouthpiece for western ideas here. Western ideas that enslave us allover again.

This same argument has been repeated by him before and is very wrong. If you pay lecturers by western standard, will you pay doctors, lawyers, teachers, and public servants generally by same standard. If I charge you N500 for a 75cl bottled water will you willingly pay? We want to westernize cost of service but not service standard. That's severe stupidity in my opinion.

Is he saying pay them the exact salaries the Cambrige lecturers earn or pay them well in Nigerian terms?

A lecturer earning N2m a month here is probably better than lecturer earning £6,000 in England.

I'm sure a lecturer earning 1.2m here would not be keen on traveling overseas.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by vislabraye(m): 10:25pm On Oct 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

Germany, Sweden all pay tax rates at a very high state that if your government implemented it, you would cry well well.

They also got higher GDP than Nigeria.

Try harder.

UK pay higher rate than the countries I mentioned. Just check out the list.

Here are the top 10 highest taxed countries:

Belgium: 79.5% 🇧🇪
Finland: 66.75% 🇫🇮
Portugal: 64% 🇵🇹
United Kingdom: 63.25% 🇬🇧
Switzerland: 59.7% 🇨🇭
Aruba: 58.95% 🇦🇼
Estonia: 58.4% 🇪🇪
Denmark: 57.11% 🇩🇰
Japan: 55% 🇯🇵

If not for corruption, Nigeria knows how to manage it's resources. Just look at the cost of governance in this administration and previous one.
There's paucity of funds yet you collected over N500bn and shared amongst the Judiciary, presidency and the senate.
Nigeria is being mismanaged and it's getting worse
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by nairalanda1(m): 2:49pm On Oct 08, 2023
vislabraye:

UK pay higher rate than the countries I mentioned. Just check out the list.

Here are the top 10 highest taxed countries:

Belgium: 79.5% 🇧🇪
Finland: 66.75% 🇫🇮
Portugal: 64% 🇵🇹
United Kingdom: 63.25% 🇬🇧
Switzerland: 59.7% 🇨🇭
Aruba: 58.95% 🇦🇼
Estonia: 58.4% 🇪🇪
Denmark: 57.11% 🇩🇰
Japan: 55% 🇯🇵

If not for corruption, Nigeria knows how to manage it's resources. Just look at the cost of governance in this administration and previous one.
There's paucity of funds yet you collected over N500bn and shared amongst the Judiciary, presidency and the senate.
Nigeria is being mismanaged and it's getting worse

Compared to them, Nigeria is below 10%

There is a reason why they have enough funds and we don't.

Plus 500 bn may seem a lot of money, but the harsh truth is, we should be earning something like 50 trillion or more naira.

Nigeria needs to diversify its economy. Simple.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by kafeii123: 6:11am On Oct 09, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
They will come back and queue behind those courageous and patriotic ones who stay backwink We have travelled this road before.

Lol...you are living in delusion....all of the ones I know who stayed back now regret that decision....you
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by FreeStuffsNG: 7:15am On Oct 09, 2023
kafeii123:

I am sure that you are too young to get my point. Those who stayed back are the Bosses of those who left to return many years after leaving. After educating you with tax payers money and you immediately leave overseas. Smh, you can't cheat others and think you will get a permanent edge. That's why no single Nigerian in diaspora has made the Forbes.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by vislabraye(m): 9:35am On Oct 09, 2023
nairalanda1:

Compared to them, Nigeria is below 10%

There is a reason why they have enough funds and we don't.

Plus 500 bn may seem a lot of money, but the harsh truth is, we should be earning something like 50 trillion or more naira.

Nigeria needs to diversify its economy. Simple.

That's not true. You're saying what you don't know. Maybe you're talking about VAT which is 7.5%. But there are other types of taxes.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by nairalanda1(m): 5:48am On Oct 10, 2023
vislabraye:

That's not true. You're saying what you don't know. Maybe you're talking about VAT which is 7.5%. But there are other types of taxes.

Oga, Nigeria needs to diversify its economy. Ouil money is not enough for this country.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by vislabraye(m): 3:21pm On Oct 10, 2023
nairalanda1:

Oga, Nigeria needs to diversify its economy. Ouil money is not enough for this country.

Of course. And what is the FG doing about it ?
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by nairalanda1(m): 4:25pm On Oct 10, 2023
vislabraye:

Of course. And what is the FG doing about it ?

LOL...you ask them.

I'm not an APC supporter.
Re: Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers by kafeii123: 9:05pm On Oct 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
I am sure that you are too young to get my point. Those who stayed back are the Bosses of those who left to return many years after leaving. After educating you with tax payers money and you immediately leave overseas. Smh, you can't cheat others and think you will get a permanent edge. That's why no single Nigerian in diaspora has made the Forbes.

I am far from too young....chief....and I have enough academics on sides of this divide....my HOD currently regrets not getting the chance to go....a senior friend's wife continues to abuse him till date for not having gone when they were a lot younger.. despite that he's now a reader and will soon be a prof.... Another former colleague's wife actually divorced him when he decided to return after studies....and till.today...he hasn't yet found happiness....the other one went.... returned and was asked to resume in an office with no air-conditioning...and to be earning 180k/month..

Apart from the ridiculousness of such pay... There's also the lethargy and depression that comes with knowing that all of the knowledge you have gone to gather are essentially now a waste
.. simply because you don't even have the most basic of the tools you need for impact worthy research.....and by the way which students are.you going to be teaching....the ones who are just a strike away from becoming yahoo boys and girls....who you have to dumb down the syllabus for because they can hardly grasp the real meat.of the course if.you chose to teach it to them?

Only this of them who upon their return have diversified away from their core functions as an academic and veered off into politics....adjunctships...Politics and private business....etc are able to move ahead somewhat....but why should you have to become enmeshed in such nonesense anyways... simply because you want alternative income

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kogi State University 2012/2013 Admission Processing (official Page) / University Of Cape Town On Fire (Photos) / I Survived Boarding School In Nigeria! A Thread For All Boarders In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.