Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,049 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 (35233 Views)

BREAKING: Sir Alex Ferguson’s Wife Cathy Dies At 84 / Sir Alex Ferguson In Intensive Care After Brain Sugery As Sympathy Floods In(Pic / Sir Alex Ferguson Gives Arsene Wenger A Vase On His Last Game At Old Trafford (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Allmiron: 7:22pm On Oct 06, 2023
Sir Alex Ferguson's wife Cathy has sadly passed away aged 84 leaving behind the former Manchester United manager and their three sons.

The Ferguson family issued a statement today which read: “We are deeply saddened to confirm the passing yesterday [Thursday] of Lady Cathy Ferguson, survived by her husband, three sons, two sisters, 12 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. The family asks for privacy at this time.”

Lady Cathy - formerly Holding - met Alex in 1964 and they were married in 1966 before giving birth to son Mark two years later, followed by twins, Darren and Jason, in 1972. She was incredibly supportive of her husband throughout his career at Old Trafford before he stepped down from his role and retired from football in 2013 to spend more time with her.

In fact, were it not for Cathy's intervention, Ferguson might well have ended up at one of United's rivals in north London when he was approached by Tottenham. "The directors, to a man, were enthusiastic endorsers of the choice (Ferguson). All aspects of the contract agreed," a book about Spurs, titled Still Dreaming, previously claimed.

Ferguson, 81, has not been present at the last of United's home matches. He revealed previously that he would have continued in the United hot-seat beyond his retirement at the end of the 2012/13 season were it not for the death of Cathy's twin sister and best friend Bridget.

"I definitely would have carried on,' Ferguson told the Daily Telegraph . "I saw she [Cathy] was watching television one night, and she looked up at the ceiling. I knew she was isolated. Her and Bridget were twins, you know?"

Ferguson explained how Cathy had persuaded him not to call time on his career when he announced his retirement many years earlier in 2002, reasoning: "One, your health is good. Two, I'm not having you in the house. And three, you're too young anyway

But officially retiring in 2013 after 27 years as United's manager, he recalled: "When I told her this time I was going to retire she had no objection whatsoever. I knew she wanted me to do it."

Cathy was by his side when he suffered a life-threatening brain haemorrhage in 2018, before making a full recovery. Son Jason recalled that Ferguson had even written goodbye letters during his recovery for fear he would leave Cathy and his family behind.

"He’d written to my mum, to me, my brothers and all his grandchildren. They were, basically, goodbye letters," Jason told The Guardian . As well as their three children, the couple also share 13 grandchildren. “Cathy is fantastic with the kids," Ferguson said. "It’s a military operation with her. If any of them misbehave, they’re in the doghouse.

Ferguson paid tribute to his wife after his farewell speech to United following his final home match in charge. He said: “I think a lot of the time, for 47 years, she’s been the leader of the family, looked after our three sons and sacrificed herself for me."

One of Ferguson's former players, Michael Carrick, revealed the United players were informed of his retirement in the dressing room where his boss became "emotional". Carrick recalls Ferguson telling his team: "I feel that I owe it to my wife to be with her and look after her."

Manchester United issued a statement paying tribute to Cathy, which read: "Everyone at Manchester United extends their sincere condolences to Sir Alex Ferguson and his family following the death of Lady Cathy. Lady Cathy was a beloved wife, mother, sister, grandmother and great-grandmother, and a pillar to Sir Alex throughout his career."

United have lowered flags at Old Trafford and confirmed that players will wear black armbands for this weekend's Premier League clash with Brentford. The women's team, who play on Friday night against Arsenal, will also wear armbands.

Aberdeen - where Sir Alex Ferguson worked as manager from 1978 to 1986 - have also sent their condolences. The club said: "Everyone at Aberdeen FC sends their deepest condolences to Sir Alex and the Ferguson family at this very sad time.

MirrorUK

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by TemplarLandry: 7:22pm On Oct 06, 2023
Awww.

I dedicate “Alone” by Burna Boy from the Black Panther Soundtrack album to Sir Alex Ferguson.
Great jam!

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by TheBTCinvestor: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
Live photos from Aso rock

128 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by NaijaGoBetter2: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
Oyibo de old well....

Baba self no too far from grave going by the age and Africa mentality but for Oyibo land Baba fergy can still go till 120

17 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Kobicove(m): 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rest In Peace to her!

15 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by thatigboman: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
RIP wife of a legend. Fergoson influenced Man U matches during his reign shaa. My dear Arsene Wenger's permanent enemy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by TheFarmer1: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
Sad
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Stephenndidi85: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
So sad... Rip maaa

2 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Timoleon(m): 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
Justice for sir Ferguson’s wife

2 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
May her soul rest in peace.

3 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by FinanceHub: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
R.I.P

See our signature for loans
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Hezzyluv: 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rest in peace.

84years? U rock life sha RIP once again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Sisqoman(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rip woman
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Omuuvwie(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
R I p to the dead
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Allmiron: 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
RIP Ma Alex

1 Like

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by MICVOCT(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
MAY HER SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE; SO BE IT!

MICVOCT
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Holajaid(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rest well madam Cathy
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by otubujohn(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
V
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by franchasofficia: 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Mama Man United club otilo shocked
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Creamypie(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Aw www so dad for feggy
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Kubin: 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rest in peace
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by spy24(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Too bad
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by NFBI: 8:35pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rip

She is old
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by hisexcellency34: 8:35pm On Oct 06, 2023
I hope it's not Onana's mistakes that killed the old woman

6 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by verybadmouth(m): 8:35pm On Oct 06, 2023
I almost had a heart attack until I saw wife.

May her gentle soul rest in the bossom of the lord.
Amen!

9 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Xhuntra: 8:35pm On Oct 06, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Awww.

I dedicate “Alone” by Burna Boy from the Black Panther Soundtrack album to Sir Alex Ferguson.
Great jam!

Dedicate it to the drug lord

4 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by thatigboman: 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Awww.

Great jam!
and dedicate which one to CSU and their 'student'?

7 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Starboytwo(m): 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
Haaa Baba, since you left, Na wahrah people full Man utd now.

Man utd ti cast.

Rip Cathy.

2 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by obembet(f): 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
Everyone in life face tough time, na or time different. Stay strong Sir Alex, we are with you.

Rip mama.

3 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by Charliewyt: 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
May her soul rest in peace
Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by preekahantas(f): 8:37pm On Oct 06, 2023
I'm not surprised.
Women are better off single or with dogs than men.

2 Likes

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson's Wife, Cathy, Is Dead At 84 by isaaclech: 8:37pm On Oct 06, 2023
RIP...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Reacts To Controversy Over Refusal To Shake Governor Abba Kabir / Cristiano Ronaldo's Sister Names Qatar World Cup 'The Worst Of All Time' / Super Eagles Bag Nervy Draw Vs Cape Verde, Reach 2022 WCQ Playoff Round

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.