Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,375 members, 7,815,797 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' (799 Views)

The Moment Hilda Baci Switched Off Her Gas And Officially Stopped Cooking / "This Is Why I Don't Eat In People's House" - Slay Queen Slammed For Doing This / Nigerian Vegetable Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Healthy Vegetable Stew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by DZTech: 1:38am On Oct 07, 2023
So I got to learn that MOST of the so called 'veg oil' on the market is BLEACHED palm oil (so it's a vegetable, who knew).
Juuust check the ingredients of ANY bottle or sachet you buy.

Once upon a time, you could get REAL groundnut oil, but it's now a rare commodity, no thanks to the economy.

I use palm oil for cooking, frying, baking, lining my bread pan, etc.
I mean, why pay more money for a product that's lost MOST of it's nutrients?

And it could be deadly to your heart...

To be clear, this is NOT a health warning; just a personal opinion.

Your thoughts?
God bless 🇳🇬

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by kernniejay(m): 4:11am On Oct 07, 2023
There are many branded quality groundnut oil you can get in the market if you really have to use good "vegetable" oil.
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by adecz: 5:41am On Oct 07, 2023
🆗

You & your children can also stop
using mar margarine since it's also
made from Palm oil.

Simply use the palm oil on their
sandwiches🍔

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by Probz(m): 3:35pm On Oct 08, 2023
Add goose fat if your palm oil if you don’t want to use the more conventional vegetable oils to semi-bleach it. Goose fat has a neutrally pleasant flavour that goes well with anything, from toast to okra to puff-puff to rice. I hardly butter my toast without it now.
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by Probz(m): 3:37pm On Oct 08, 2023
adecz:

🆗

You & your children can also stop
using mar margarine since it's also
made from Palm oil.

Simply use the palm oil on their
sandwiches🍔

Erm.
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by mariahAngel(f): 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2023
Op, so you mean to tell me you use unrefined palm oil for baking and pan lining?
Make me understand real quick!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by Premiumbuy(m): 12:05am On Oct 09, 2023
Premium Be Unto You
I think you have a point, but as everything is I go for anything that is available.
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by HeatSeeker(m): 11:43am On Oct 09, 2023
DZTech:
So I got to learn that MOST of the so called 'veg oil' on the market is BLEACHED palm oil (so it's a vegetable, who knew).
Juuust check the ingredients of ANY bottle or sachet you buy.

Once upon a time, you could get REAL groundnut oil, but it's now a rare commodity, no thanks to the economy.

I use palm oil for cooking, frying, baking, lining my bread pan, etc.
I mean, why pay more money for a product that's lost MOST of it's nutrients?

And it could be deadly to your heart...

To be clear, this is NOT a health warning; just a personal opinion.

Your thoughts?
God bless 🇳🇬

Technically speaking, Palm olein is not palm oil smiley Just like crude oil is not petrol or diesel wink
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by DZTech: 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2023
HeatSeeker:

Technically speaking, Palm olein is not palm oil smiley Just like crude oil is not petrol or diesel wink
true, but the source is the same.
and what's removed is packed with nutrients, especially beta carotenes.
so you pay more for less.
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by DZTech: 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2023
mariahAngel:
Op, so you mean to tell me you use unrefined palm oil for baking and pan lining?
Make me understand real quick!
yep. 😀
and without yeast or baking soda/powder, my bread is soft. 👌🏾
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by DZTech: 3:35pm On Oct 10, 2023
kernniejay:
There are many branded quality groundnut oil you can get in the market if you really have to use good "vegetable" oil.
they're ALL expensive tho.
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by DZTech: 3:37pm On Oct 10, 2023
adecz:

🆗

You & your children can also stop using mar margarine since it's also made from Palm oil.
Simply use the palm oil on their sandwiches🍔
why not Google 'health effects of margarine'? 💁🏾‍♂️
Re: Why I Stopped Using 'Vegetable Oil' by DZTech: 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2023
Probz:
Add goose fat if your palm oil if you don’t want to use the more conventional vegetable oils to semi-bleach it. Goose fat has a neutrally pleasant flavour that goes well with anything, from toast to okra to puff-puff to rice. I hardly butter my toast without it now.
jiji-
Price starts from ➔ ₦ 8000
or how much do you buy it for?

(1) (Reply)

Is Processed Food Healthy / African Dishes / How Do I Get Cans For Soft Drinks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.