Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,084 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) (12060 Views)

Poll: which nigerian tribe respect elders more

hausa: 1% (5 votes)
fulani: 1% (5 votes)
igbo: 26% (85 votes)
yoruba: 62% (199 votes)
itshekiri: 0% (2 votes)
ijaw: 0% (2 votes)
edo: 3% (10 votes)
idoma: 0% (0 votes)
efik/ibibiio: 0% (3 votes)
egbira: 0% (0 votes)
igala: 0% (0 votes)
kanuri: 0% (0 votes)
jukun: 0% (0 votes)
urobo/isoko: 1% (4 votes)
others: 0% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Which Nigerian Tribe Owns Ogbono Soup, Okro Soup, Egusi Soup , Vegetable , White (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Relax101(m): 2:27am On Oct 22, 2011
jason123:

Chei! They don rig election o! shocked grin
Nchara aka South-east aka Sner etc don rig am with over 30 usernames. grin grin wink

Anyway, it is the Itsekiris. Everybody, go rest!

Na only Nchara you see?
Alh-Harem with over 200 usernames go follow.
I wont be suprised if I wake tomorrow to see 10000 thousand votes.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by htajz: 2:29am On Oct 22, 2011
i will give it to the hausas or fulanis considering the fact yorubas are known to be very insultive by nature, unfortunately these yoruba and igbo thugs have hijacked the thread
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by kabukabu50(m): 2:32am On Oct 22, 2011
Take this thread down its meaningless,crass and whoever put it up obviously can't spell, its "respectful", not "respestful", cmon guys cool cool

Use spellcheck for crying out loud. grin
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Nobody: 2:34am On Oct 22, 2011
jason123:

Nchara aka South-east aka Sner etc don rig am with over 30 usernames. grin grin wink

grin
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by SEner: 2:35am On Oct 22, 2011
jason123:

Either you carry juju for mouth or  you can use banned user names to post. Olodo

This is a meaningless thread for which voting is also meaningless.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by mercenaryx(m): 2:36am On Oct 22, 2011
seedord247:

To be brainless is rather better than to be suffering from Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Then you particularly should be isolated from the earth. ANOMALISTIC BABOON

hey!, I see u re really under an hereditary curse and I Seriously have doubts if u can be delivered, Decadent basta#rd,
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by aljharem3: 2:42am On Oct 22, 2011
Relax101:

Na only Nchara you see?
Alh-Harem with over 200 usernames go follow.
I wont be suprised if I wake tomorrow to see 10000 thousand votes.

dude, if u think I would vote in this kind of silly thread, then u must be joking

wtf

this sort of thread is for ezeuche, south-east and co not me cool
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by seedord247(m): 3:03am On Oct 22, 2011
mercenaryx:

hey!,  I see u re really under an hereditary curse and I Seriously have doubts if u can be delivered,  Decadent basta#rd, 

I will advice you to Sue Your Folks for letting you grow up to this stage when they know you'll become a dastard imb-ecile.

Broo. . . . It's not too late, don't be obsolete to join your Clique in Yaba Left. They will love to admit you. Goodluck
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Fkayo: 3:40am On Oct 22, 2011
I am just joining this social network and I'm loving it already. All I can say is respect starts with the individual regardless of what tribe. One can be yooruba and also be the most disrespectful, and be some other tribe with great respect. the individual and upbringing place a big role in this issue.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by dhtmli(m): 6:32am On Oct 22, 2011
Them don rigg the polls. Immediately i saw this thread, i knew twas all them yoruba vs igbo thing.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by stagger: 6:47am On Oct 22, 2011
Almost every encounter I have had with Yorubas makes me wonder if they can still be regarded as the most respectful tribe in Nigeria. A girl from Osun state as young as my first child has once addressed me very rudely to shift for her in a line somewhere in Delta state. It was after I asked her where she learnt such rudeness from and why she was disappointing the Yoruba tribe that a few other Yorubas there began to berate her.

So methinks that the younger generation is losing it, and the Yorubas should pay more attention to teaching the younger generation because they are being lost to facebook and all the other junk we have in our world today.

I do not want to comment on my tribe because rudeness is their second nature.

1 Like

Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 22, 2011
U guyz don't know wen to be serious!some ppl jst didnt get d questn nd they re typing nonsense, the yorubaz were d most respectful buh naw they re d rating highest in list of disrespect!though some of em re still respectful if they aren't they can curse and mock ur family vry well, The Igbo have never been respectful u don't need polls to know dat, anoda tribe z hausa,those guyz re vry humble,ready to help odaz wit their last blood,it's jst their religion dat is the problem!in recap of all the "buhaha" u guyz ve typed no tribe wins d argument, if don't agree to wat i said Bleep u,cause wat i ve said is nat biased it's generalised,not compromised,it's justified, am done!!!
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 22, 2011
SEner:

Yoruba so-called respect for elders is fake. They dobale (genuflect) in your front and waka (curse) you behind your back. That is why Abiola, despite all he did, was betrayed by his brothers. That is why youths beat up Obas these days. That is why Fayose insulted Obasanjo in public. That is why Tinubu and his NL thugs are insulting Awo's wife. I can go on and on.
You need to learn about the yoruba and not judge them from afar in anything they do.Like I said,it's part of yoruba culture for the young to respect the old and also mandated the old to respect themselves.This was supported by various proverbs which has passed the tradition down the historyline.So fayose throws jabs at obj,it means obj thrown his place as an elder to the dogs.If you are a yoruba,you'd have understood well.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 22, 2011
stagger:

Almost every encounter I have had with Yorubas makes me wonder if they can still be regarded as the most respectful tribe in Nigeria. A girl from Osun state as young as my first child has once addressed me very rudely to shift for her in a line somewhere in Delta state. It was after I asked her where she learnt such rudeness from and why she was disappointing the Yoruba tribe that a few other Yorubas there began to berate her.

So methinks that the younger generation is losing it, and the Yorubas should pay more attention to teaching the younger generation because they are being lost to facebook and all the other junk we have in our world today.

I do not want to comment on my tribe because rudeness is their second nature.

You are completely right. There are some renegades like that. Probably due to lack of home training.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 22, 2011
The Yoruba culture is one of the most advanced and civilized in the whole world. The British when they came very much acknowledge the culture was at the least an equal to theirs.
p.s. I am not Yoruba.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by gratiaeo(m): 7:46am On Oct 22, 2011
Igbo are more respectfull than any other tribes in Nigeria. I'd go with yorubas in terms of greeting. In marriage igbo women ll respect their husband more than other tribes. A yoruba boy can not leave with another person as a servant, while Hausas ll  choose to rear cattle instead.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 22, 2011
I'd say the yorubas.They actually "show" more respect than other tribes,though it could be entirely based on eye-service:they respect u to ur face & "yinmu" behind u.Just my 2cents,anyway.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 22, 2011
I'd say the yorubas.They actually "show" more respect than other tribes,though it could be entirely based on eye-service:they respect u to ur face & "yinmu" behind u.Just my 2cents,anyway.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by mercenaryx(m): 8:09am On Oct 22, 2011
seedord247:

I will advice you to Sue Your Folks for letting you grow up to this stage when they know you'll become a dastard imb-ecile.

Broo. . . . It's not too late, don't be obsolete to join your Clique in Yaba Left. They will love to admit you. Goodluck

chai, Nothing about U looks good!, From ur name down to ur pix in which U look like Robinson Crusoe's dog. I really wish u can get someone to tell u the truth, My device is auto correct and Anytime I type this name of urs it automatically change to STUP*ID, hmm tragic!.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by dhtmli(m): 8:19am On Oct 22, 2011
In Nigeria, show respect means:
- Greeting people very well - in fact too well - with a very big smile if necessary (Reminds me of a Nancy Drew then - Smile and say Murder)
The Yorubas will do that well - even to their enemies if necessary.
- Eye service: Well, our yoruba vocab is very well suited for that - Se dada lo ji? Se dede ni whatever? And all those nonsense (even when you hate the guts of the person)

But actually being really really respectful. . . .caramba, i will not say that.

You guyz should stop rigging the votes naa. Haba
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by OneNaira6: 8:37am On Oct 22, 2011
If it's elders as the OP asked, I'll say Yoruba. They respect their elders well, not so much to other groups elder. Everything else lipsrsealed

Most respectful Nigerian group, I can't vote on that.

I do not think there is any respectful Nigerian group.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Kambinachi(f): 8:47am On Oct 22, 2011
i don't think this is a fair poll, not because i have anything against the leading tribe on the poll, but simply because  i don't think most people are in a position to compare and draw a valid conclusion.

i think many of the tribes mentioned there have few to no votes not because they are the least respectful, but because ppl have never met anyone from that tribe, or even if they have, the number they have met have not been enough of a representative sample of that tribe for them to accurately determine their level of respectfulness.

ofcourse most votes on this board would go to either the yorubas or the igbos because that is the majority of the tribes people on this board have interacted with.

bottomline: to get a valid result to this vote, you would have been better off narrowing the poll down to those two tribes. it should have been titled something along the lines of: "Who is more respectful between the Yorubas and Igbos?"
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Kambinachi(f): 8:49am On Oct 22, 2011
that said, my personal opinion as an Igbo who has lived amongst igbos and yorubas is that Yorubas are farrrrr more respectful than Igbos. Igbos are way to rude and are always trying to prove a goodness-knows-what point. they are original [i]ishi-ike[/i]s (strong head) undecided
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Mojibola(m): 8:57am On Oct 22, 2011
dem don lock the polls, badt guys
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by codeworks(m): 9:15am On Oct 22, 2011
HAUSA. yourbas only respect people from their tribe. they disrespect people from other tribe. i experienced it during my NYSC. they always speak their language even when next person don't understand their language.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by HornyJane(f): 9:24am On Oct 22, 2011
Actually i think its the Yorubas, though the Ibos and my Ibibios are somehow down to earth in some cases anyway undecided
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by mustspin: 9:43am On Oct 22, 2011
codeworks:

HAUSA. yourbas only respect people from their tribe. they disrespect people from other tribe. i experienced it during my NYSC. they always speak their language even when next person don't understand their language.
that yoruba chose to speak their dialect when they see each other doesnt mean disrespect. the hausas does that too, so does all other tribes.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by benodic: 9:47am On Oct 22, 2011
having lived among the igbos, yorubas and hausas, i will give it to the yorubas. they are the best in terms of respect for the elders. igbos and hausas have a long way to go in terms of respect for elders.
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by freepeople: 10:07am On Oct 22, 2011
The topic should be changed to 'which Nigerian tribe has the most moniker on NL'(with poll) grin
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Godmother(f): 10:08am On Oct 22, 2011
I would have suggested yoruba, but there respect is only skin deep.
A yoruba girl who shows you so much respect right now might turn arund to give u the insult of ur life is you as much as step on how toes without saying sorry quick enough
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by codeworks(m): 10:19am On Oct 22, 2011
mustspin:

that yoruba chose to speak their dialect when they see each other doesnt mean disrespect. the hausas does that too, so does all other tribes.

I didn’t want to tell this story but don’t have choice. During my NYSC camp that was first time I experienced the ways of yourbas far away in northern part of nigeria. We elected platoon leader. He from yourba and assistant is ibo. This guy always speak yourba to all, we have other tribe. We have benin, hausa, ibo, etc. we didnt participate in dancing competition because he wanted yourbas dance. he made wrong decision because he didnt carry everybody along (other tribe). second week in camp we had to dethrone him and plant another guy from another tribe. shekina
Re: which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) by Gbenge77(m): 10:19am On Oct 22, 2011
Yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stolen Benin City Mask To Be Auctioned In London For N1.25b / Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila / Most Progressive Rural Communities In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.