Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira (556 Views)

ICPC Seals Amaju Pinnick’s Lagos Residence (Photo) / Amaju Pinnick And Akpo Mudiaga Odje In 1993 (Throwback Photo) / Amaju Pinnick Visits Governor Obaseki (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by buygala(m): 5:56pm On Oct 07, 2023
I just stumbled upon this thread on front page about how Pinnick and Co paid Davido $96,400 to perform at a show in Warri, Delta State. See link below

https://www.nairaland.com/7868608/pinnick-calls-out-davido-allegedly

As much I won't take sides on that matter, what immediately struck me in that story was that a Nigerian paid another Nigerian foreign currency to perform at an event holding in Nigeria... ..

To the best of my knowledge, the naira is still the sole legal tender within the geographical entity called Nigeria....Or is it?

If it is, why will Pinnick pay Davido in dollars to perform in Nigeria? Or is there some sort of parallel legal tender running in Nigeria that the rest of us are not aware of?...

Is that why it appears the government is paying mere lip service about stemming the free-fall of naira's value? Is it that these bourgeoisie have since adopted foreign currencies as their own legal tender, so they honestly can't care less about the naira falling into the abyss..

Or to take it a step further, it's even to their own benefit that the naira becomes worthless because the lower the naira's value falls, the higher the domestic value of their foreign currencies?

This is more appalling considering the current FX crises where even petrol importers can hardly source these foreign currencies to deliver this essential commodity to Nigerians... I don't even want to talk about how Nigerians seeking FX for foreign education or legitimate importation business have practically been left at the mercy of the black market...it is far easier to get a pint of Ab-negative blood in a Nigerian Hospital than for a citizen to walk into any bank and get $1k equivalent of his naira.

Despite all these, it's depressing that a Nigerian in this country has approximately $100k to pay another Nigerian to come sing "E Ma Dami Duro" and "wey the money" in Nigeria, while many essential service providers and citizens seeking personal development abroad can't even have access to even $5k..

And what makes it even worse is the guts that Pinnick has to shove this disgusting act in our faces...If this isn't economic sabotage, then I don't know what is...

Can Davido or Pinnick go to the US and run a local transaction there in the Chinese Yuan, and boldly publish for the American public to see?

If the Government has given approval to a set of private citizens to run their domestic transactions in foreign currencies, please It should extend same to the Public and shut down the naira.. let's all kuku adopt the dollar as our legal tender...

That being said, I want to believe there is a plausible explanation why Pinnick can pay Davido Dollars to perform in Nigeria, but the goat meat seller in Oshodi market can't charge in dollars per Kilogram of meat... Or why I can't walk into GTbank and demand that I be paid in dollars the equivalent of my withdrawal from my account with them.

If there isn't, some people need to be made an example of if the fight to save the Naira isn't mere playing to the gallery.

This dastardly behaviour isn't limited to only Pinnick and Davido.. Numerous Nigerian entertainment artistes, lawyers, schools, hospitals and even some hook-up girls now charge in foreign currency for their services rendered in Nigeria... And we act as if all is well while pretending to be busy working to stabilise the Naira?.... You dey whine?

This article is originally written by this poster..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by GabrielYulaw(m): 8:58pm On Oct 07, 2023
buygala:
I just stumbled upon this thread on front page about how Pinnick and Co paid Davido $96,400 to perform at a show in Warri, Delta State. See link below

As much I won't take sides on that matter, what immediately struck me in that story was that a Nigerian paid another Nigerian foreign currency to perform at an event holding in Nigeria... ..

To the best of my knowledge, the naira is still the sole legal tender within the geographical entity called Nigeria....Or is it?

If it is, why will Pinnick pay Davido in dollars to perform in Nigeria.. Or is there some sort of parallel legal tender running in Nigeria that the rest of us are not aware of?...

Is that why it appears the government is paying lip service about stemming the free-fall of naira's value... Is it that these bourgeoisie have since adopted foreign currencies as their own legal tender, so they honestly can't care less about the naira falls into the abyss..

Or to take it a step further, it's even to their own benefit that the naira becomes worthless because the lower the naira's value falls, the higher the domestic value of their foreign currencies?

This is more appalling considering the current FX crises where even petrol importers can hardly source these foreign currencies to deliver this essential commodity to Nigerians... I don't even want to talk about how Nigerians seeking FX foreign education or for legitimate importation business have practically been left at the mercy of the black market...it is far easier to get a pint of Ab-negative blood in a Nigerian Hospital than for a citizen to walk into any bank and get $1k equivalent of his naira.

Despite all these, it's depressing that a Nigerian in this country has approximately $100k to pay another Nigerian to come sing "E Ma Dami Duro" and "wey the money" in Nigeria, while many essential service providers and citizens seeking personal development abroad can't even have access to even $5k..

And what makes it even worse is the guts that Pinnick has to shove this disgusting act in our faces...If this isn't economic sabotage, then I don't know what is...

Can Davido or Pinnick go to the US and run a local transaction there in the Chinese Yuan, and boldly publish for the American public to see?

If the Government has given approval to set of private citizens to run their domestic transactions in foreign currencies, please It should extend it to the Public and shut down the naira and let's all adopt the dollar as our legal tender...

That being said, I want to believe there is a plausible explanation why Pinnick can pay Davido Dollars to perform in Nigeria, but the goat meat seller in Oshodi market can't charge in dollars per Kilogram of meat... Or why I can't walk into GTbank and demand that I be paid in dollars the equivalent of my withdrawal from my account with them.

If there isn't, some people need to be made an example of if the fight to save the Naira isn't mere playing to the gallery.

This dastardly behaviour isn't limited to only Pinnick and Davido.. Numerous Nigerian entertainment artistes, lawyers, schools, hospitals and even some hook-up girls now charge in foreign currency for their services rendered in Nigeria... And we act as if all is well while working to stabilise the Naira?.... You dey whine?

Many schools, especially in Lagos have been charging fees in dollars and if I remember correctly, there are some restaurants in Lagos and Abuja where you can only pay in dollars. So yeah, it's like the Naira is legal tender only in some parts of this country and not all parts.
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by Chingyyy878: 5:18pm On Oct 10, 2023
Why is this not on front page ?
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by BoldBrainz(m): 6:00pm On Oct 10, 2023
Lol.
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by yarimo(m): 6:02pm On Oct 10, 2023
Davido is a scammer claiming big boy
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by vivalavida(m): 6:07pm On Oct 10, 2023
This deserves to be on front page. Nice well thought out article.
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by DeOTR: 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2023
This country is just messed up.
Nobody sees the little ways they're contributing to the rot, but quick to point fingers at the politicians.
What do we call this one now? I mean, The President of the NFF, making an official payment in a foreign currency to another Nigerian in this same country! And we're talking about how the value of Naira is falling?
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by Kachidubem: 3:13am On Oct 11, 2023
buygala:

If it is, why will Pinnick pay Davido in dollars to perform in Nigeria.. Or is there some sort of parallel legal tender running in Nigeria that the rest of us are not aware of?...

Is that why it appears the government is paying lip service about stemming the free-fall of naira's value... Is it that these bourgeoisie have since adopted foreign currencies as their own legal tender, so they honestly can't care less about the naira falls into the abyss..

This is more appalling considering the current FX crises where even petrol importers can hardly source these foreign currencies to deliver this essential commodity to Nigerians... I don't even want to talk about how Nigerians seeking FX foreign education or for legitimate importation business have practically been left at the mercy of the black market...it is far easier to get a pint of Ab-negative blood in a Nigerian Hospital than for a citizen to walk into any bank and get $1k equivalent of his naira.

If the Government has given approval to set of private citizens to run their domestic transactions in foreign currencies, please It should extend it to the Public and shut down the naira and let's all adopt the dollar as our legal tender...

This dastardly behaviour isn't limited to only Pinnick and Davido.. Numerous Nigerian entertainment artistes, lawyers, schools, hospitals and even some hook-up girls now charge in foreign currency for their services rendered in Nigeria... And we act as if all is well while working to stabilise the Naira?.... You dey whine?

The Answer is simple

Nigeria is not for me and you,hence we go complain tire.

Nigeria is for the very few ,even DJ cuppy is among those previiledged few.
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by iLoveYouToo(m): 3:50am On Oct 11, 2023
Pity Nigerians at your peril, we're not ready to make progress.

See how people were taking sides, clearly missing the main point which OP has now brought to the fore.

We are indeed brainless
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by Addme: 5:00am On Oct 11, 2023
You are on point. The issue in Nigeria has moved beyond bad to worse
It's appalling that this whole thing is happening.
Also, I have been trying to ask if what Davido did is right i.e. not honouring an agreement but still held on to the money paid to him.
Re: Between Amaju Pinnick, Davido And The Naira by OlujobaSamuel: 6:10am On Oct 11, 2023
You are right. I also raised similar issue on that thread, the painful part of it is that people were only seeking for how to defend Davido or Pinnic, and not the impact of their actions

(1) (Reply)

Certificate Saga: Obi Didn't Impersonate Late Brother - Spokesman / Obidients Favourites Kate Henshaw And Okey Bakassi Rejoice With APC In Imo / Breaking News: FG Re-awards Otuocha-nzam—innoma-iheaka-abaji Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.