Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,442 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race (954 Views)

INNOSON Donates Vehicles To Ooni Of Ife / Ooni Of Ife: The Igbo Race Is First In The World To Discover, Nurture Wealth / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by julaion: 7:27pm On Oct 09, 2023
My Response to His Royal Majesty, Ooni of Ife About His Speech that the Igbo Race Migrated from Ile-Ife.

I am Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro, an Igbo linguist and cultural advocate. I read from the Vanguard News published on 8th October, 2023 about the Ooni's speech on history, with a claim that the Igbo race migrated from Ile-Ife. It is a good attempt to speak about the correlation between the Igbo and Yoruba which the verifiable evidence could be traced to the fact that both have linguistic similarities and features to an extent, and belong to the same language family which is proto-kwa, grouped under Niger-Congo phylum.

First and foremost, the Igbo race is diverse. The Igbo were sojourners and travelers who lived in different places for years and contributed to the economic development of any place they found themselves.

I understand that angle he is coming from as regard the Ife case. In Igbo Studies, it's called Igbo recoil. The Igbo who lived in different parts, especially the western part of today's Nigeria, trying to move back home. Some had a stop at Benin. Some continued their journeys and stopped at different places, down to Ọnịcha Ado and other Igbo hinterland. The case of Eze Chima who moved out from the Benin and founded many places in Anịọma and present Ọnịcha Ado is related to the same Ife story.

Now, about the Igbo race, they didn't migrate from Ife in its entirety and settle where they are now. Some sojourners who still travel till date always return home, some don't at all, they live there and multiply. This is why the argument about Ile-Igbo as Ooni posited as evidence to prove Igbo rootedness in Ile-Ife is not enough to show the Igbo race migrated from there.

Let's start with some historical and archeological facts about the Igbo.

Smelting of iron in Igbo land for instance began prehistorically. From the artefacts found in Leja in Nsụka, smelting of iron in that place was backdated 2000 BC. The first recorded iron smelting site in the world. This was even long before Europeans knew about iron smelting. The Igbo have seen road and existed in Igbo land.

Apart from Leja, other places known for iron smelting prehistorically include: Opi, Akụ, Obimo, Ọbụkpa, Owere Elu etc. These communities are in Nsụka only. We are yet to talk about other areas.

The historic nature of the Igbo wowed the western world in that they have to try everything possible to hide some information. Archeologists have dug out various artifacts regarding the Igbo in various places and I see no reason to doubt those who say that ndị Igbo bụ ndị gboo. Meaning the Igbo are the ancient people.

Talk about Nsude pyramid in Udi that backdated the Egyptian pyramid.

Talk about blacksmithing of Nkwere and Ọka. Nkwere makes gun which earned them the motto and slogan: "Nkwere Ọpiegbe". With blacksmith, Ọka produced gun known as "Awka made" by some persons. The Igbo used it for hunting not for killling.

Is it pot making? Ishiagụ are known for pottery that's why they are called Ishiagụ Ọkpụite. Is it the textile industry? The artefacts in Uturu will wow you to see that they had been existing in their land and still traveled out for more adventure and business. Are we talking about the Okpoto in the present day Ebọnyị State that believed to be an ancient spiritual people in Igbo land?

Igbo is deep and wide. There were aboriginals and those you refer to as migrants were travelers who returned home.

Let me get back to the argument: Ooni said and I quote him verbatim: "We have good evidence to believe that Igbo race has its roots here in Ile-Ife. There is Ile-Igbo here in the palace which was not a recent creation but has been existing here for decades."

If going by this statement, it means that some ndị Igbo were amongst the early inhabitants and founders of Ile-Ife. Since he said there is Ile-Igbo in the palace which proves his point that the Igbo had a root in Ife, it shows the Igbo were part of the early traditional leadership of the Ife.

Just as he said in his last statement and I quote: "For this and many other reasons, I believe we need proper documentation of our history.".

I agree with him. While we document our history properly it's important we take note of the influence of the Igbo in Ile-Ife as he posited. The entire Igbo race had no common Ife ancestry as the point indirectly portrayed. While some sojourned and founded some places, some were still home, doing their blacksmithing, farming, hunting and other businesses.

To buttress my point, the attached pictures below are the Igbo masquerades in Yoruba land reported by Professor Jumoke Oloidi, a yoruba man and a Professor of History at the University of Nigeria, Nsụka.

In his PhD Thesis entitled: Economic History of Ekiti People in Nigeria, he highlights the
Early Igbo Sojourners in Eastern Yorubaland and how the Igbo blacksmiths took their craft to the Yoruba land.

The masquerade here is the famous Mgbedike masquerade known in the Nri-Ọka part of Igbo land. You could see ichi. British Colonial officer known as Harland Duckworth took the picture at a village in Okitipupa area of the present day Ondo State in the 40s.

The blacksmithing of the Ọka penetrated the Yorubaland and according to Professor O.N. Njọkụ in his book:" Economic History of Nigeria: 19th and 20th Centuries", he states that it happened sometime between 1890s and 1904. But it was in the Colonial era that they began to appear significantly in numbers, around the 1930s for the Yoruba tradition to take notice of their presence.

It was their skill in gun-smithing that enabled the Ọka to penetrate Yorubaland. While Yoruba gunsmiths used nails and riveted their gun parts, Ọka smiths used screws. Ọka guns could thus be taken apart, cleaned and re-assembled.

The best-known of the Ọka smiths in Yorubaland in the 1930s was a certain man called Godwin Okafọ, who settled in Igede Ekiti. Ekiti people didn't even know his name and simply called him Ọka. He brought innovations and enriched the smithing tradition of Igede, just as his fellow Ọka craftsworkers were changing the face of the profession in other towns in Ekiti and beyond.

An Igede Ekiti man called Chief Akande, had this to say about Godwin Okafọ and his 'brothers':

"These Isobos [a name originally referring to Urhobos, but extended to anyone from the Eastern Region] came and began to make heavy duty guns that could kîll 2 or 3 animals at once. They were the first to seriously start producing knives, cutlasses hoes and others in large quantity for sale. Look at Awka [i.e., Godwin Okafọ], he is small in stature but stronger than many around us. He was the person who first started producing short, rather than the usual long, guns here. Not only that, these Awka people performed their smithing activity by producing, for the first time, double-barrel guns that could kîll a whole district if there is war..." (Jumoke Oloidi)

In a nutshell, the Igbo race didn't migrate from Ile-Ife, instead there some Igbo who lived and multiplied in different parts of the country as we have it today. Some returned home. And before colonialism, people lived anywhere they found themselves and contribute to both economic, traditional and political development of the area. The Igbo had great influence because of their nature as sojourners.

References:

1. Economic History of Ekiti People in Nigeria, 1900 - 1960" by Jumoke Oloidi . Thesis, UNN)

2. Economic History of Nigeria: 19th and 20th Centuries by Professor O.N. Njọkụ.

© Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro
Linguist, author, historian and cultural advocate.

I paused!

2 Likes

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Chibuzoripob: 7:30pm On Oct 09, 2023
Nonsense
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Whiteangel1234: 7:37pm On Oct 09, 2023
Apt
!!

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by TinubuThief: 7:37pm On Oct 09, 2023
grin
Oni the mad man
Too much ewedu and gbegiri is not good for the brain
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ofunaofu: 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2023
Chibuzoripob:
Nonsense

Did you take your time to read it

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ebubu: 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2023
Igbo people are descendants of Oduduwagrin
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ozommadu: 7:51pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ebubu:

This is a supposed ebonyian oo

You Don finally unmasked yourself today afeez, ogbomoso village boy.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Maize247(f): 7:51pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ooni called for this
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Chibuzoripob: 7:51pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Did you take your time to read it
I believe Oni"s version.We IGBO are immigrants from Ile Ife.History dnt lie cool
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by TinubuThief: 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ebubu:
Igbos are not the descendants of Oduduwa the demon that Angel Michael throway from sky for committing adultery with Jezebel in hell
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Neckpresser101: 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ebubu:

YellowBa idiot

Be exposing your dirty self

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Neckpresser101: 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2023
julaion:
My Response to His Royal Majesty, Ooni of Ife About His Speech that the Igbo Race Migrated from Ile-Ife.

I am Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro, an Igbo linguist and cultural advocate. I read from the Vanguard News published on 8th October, 2023 about the Ooni's speech on history, with a claim that the Igbo race migrated from Ile-Ife. It is a good attempt to speak about the correlation between the Igbo and Yoruba which the verifiable evidence could be traced to the fact that both have linguistic similarities and features to an extent, and belong to the same language family which is proto-kwa, grouped under Niger-Congo phylum.

First and foremost, the Igbo race is diverse. The Igbo were sojourners and travelers who lived in different places for years and contributed to the economic development of any place they found themselves.

I understand that angle he is coming from as regard the Ife case. In Igbo Studies, it's called Igbo recoil. The Igbo who lived in different parts, especially the western part of today's Nigeria, trying to move back home. Some had a stop at Benin. Some continued their journeys and stopped at different places, down to Ọnịcha Ado and other Igbo hinterland. The case of Eze Chima who moved out from the Benin and founded many places in Anịọma and present Ọnịcha Ado is related to the same Ife story.

Now, about the Igbo race, they didn't migrate from Ife in its entirety and settle where they are now. Some sojourners who still travel till date always return home, some don't at all, they live there and multiply. This is why the argument about Ile-Igbo as Ooni posited as evidence to prove Igbo rootedness in Ile-Ife is not enough to show the Igbo race migrated from there.

Let's start with some historical and archeological facts about the Igbo.

Smelting of iron in Igbo land for instance began prehistorically. From the artefacts found in Leja in Nsụka, smelting of iron in that place was backdated 2000 BC. The first recorded iron smelting site in the world. This was even long before Europeans knew about iron smelting. The Igbo have seen road and existed in Igbo land.

Apart from Leja, other places known for iron smelting prehistorically include: Opi, Akụ, Obimo, Ọbụkpa, Owere Elu etc. These communities are in Nsụka only. We are yet to talk about other areas.

The historic nature of the Igbo wowed the western world in that they have to try everything possible to hide some information. Archeologists have dug out various artifacts regarding the Igbo in various places and I see no reason to doubt those who say that ndị Igbo bụ ndị gboo. Meaning the Igbo are the ancient people.

Talk about Nsude pyramid in Udi that backdated the Egyptian pyramid.

Talk about blacksmithing of Nkwere and Ọka. Nkwere makes gun which earned them the motto and slogan: "Nkwere Ọpiegbe". With blacksmith, Ọka produced gun known as "Awka made" by some persons. The Igbo used it for hunting not for killling.

Is it pot making? Ishiagụ are known for pottery that's why they are called Ishiagụ Ọkpụite. Is it the textile industry? The artefacts in Uturu will wow you to see that they had been existing in their land and still traveled out for more adventure and business. Are we talking about the Okpoto in the present day Ebọnyị State that believed to be an ancient spiritual people in Igbo land?

Igbo is deep and wide. There were aboriginals and those you refer to as migrants were travelers who returned home.

Let me get back to the argument: Ooni said and I quote him verbatim: "We have good evidence to believe that Igbo race has its roots here in Ile-Ife. There is Ile-Igbo here in the palace which was not a recent creation but has been existing here for decades."

If going by this statement, it means that some ndị Igbo were amongst the early inhabitants and founders of Ile-Ife. Since he said there is Ile-Igbo in the palace which proves his point that the Igbo had a root in Ife, it shows the Igbo were part of the early traditional leadership of the Ife.

Just as he said in his last statement and I quote: "For this and many other reasons, I believe we need proper documentation of our history.".

I agree with him. While we document our history properly it's important we take note of the influence of the Igbo in Ile-Ife as he posited. The entire Igbo race had no common Ife ancestry as the point indirectly portrayed. While some sojourned and founded some places, some were still home, doing their blacksmithing, farming, hunting and other businesses.

To buttress my point, the attached pictures below are the Igbo masquerades in Yoruba land reported by Professor Jumoke Oloidi, a yoruba man and a Professor of History at the University of Nigeria, Nsụka.

In his PhD Thesis entitled: Economic History of Ekiti People in Nigeria, he highlights the
Early Igbo Sojourners in Eastern Yorubaland and how the Igbo blacksmiths took their craft to the Yoruba land.

The masquerade here is the famous Mgbedike masquerade known in the Nri-Ọka part of Igbo land. You could see ichi. British Colonial officer known as Harland Duckworth took the picture at a village in Okitipupa area of the present day Ondo State in the 40s.

The blacksmithing of the Ọka penetrated the Yorubaland and according to Professor O.N. Njọkụ in his book:" Economic History of Nigeria: 19th and 20th Centuries", he states that it happened sometime between 1890s and 1904. But it was in the Colonial era that they began to appear significantly in numbers, around the 1930s for the Yoruba tradition to take notice of their presence.

It was their skill in gun-smithing that enabled the Ọka to penetrate Yorubaland. While Yoruba gunsmiths used nails and riveted their gun parts, Ọka smiths used screws. Ọka guns could thus be taken apart, cleaned and re-assembled.

The best-known of the Ọka smiths in Yorubaland in the 1930s was a certain man called Godwin Okafọ, who settled in Igede Ekiti. Ekiti people didn't even know his name and simply called him Ọka. He brought innovations and enriched the smithing tradition of Igede, just as his fellow Ọka craftsworkers were changing the face of the profession in other towns in Ekiti and beyond.

An Igede Ekiti man called Chief Akande, had this to say about Godwin Okafọ and his 'brothers':

"These Isobos [a name originally referring to Urhobos, but extended to anyone from the Eastern Region] came and began to make heavy duty guns that could kîll 2 or 3 animals at once. They were the first to seriously start producing knives, cutlasses hoes and others in large quantity for sale. Look at Awka [i.e., Godwin Okafọ], he is small in stature but stronger than many around us. He was the person who first started producing short, rather than the usual long, guns here. Not only that, these Awka people performed their smithing activity by producing, for the first time, double-barrel guns that could kîll a whole district if there is war..." (Jumoke Oloidi)

In a nutshell, the Igbo race didn't migrate from Ile-Ife, instead there some Igbo who lived and multiplied in different parts of the country as we have it today. Some returned home. And before colonialism, people lived anywhere they found themselves and contribute to both economic, traditional and political development of the area. The Igbo had great influence because of their nature as sojourners.

References:

1. Economic History of Ekiti People in Nigeria, 1900 - 1960" by Jumoke Oloidi . Thesis, UNN)

2. Economic History of Nigeria: 19th and 20th Centuries by Professor O.N. Njọkụ.

© Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro
Linguist, author, historian and cultural advocate.

I paused!

Facts and figures

He didn't add Igbo ukwu arts

First bronze makers in west Africa are Igbos

We were fvcking awesome craftsmen

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by PrinceOfLagos: 8:00pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ooni is trying so hard to attach yoruba with Igbo

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by stevnwigw1: 8:00pm On Oct 09, 2023
He has said it all. Thanks learned.
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by creativehubb: 8:05pm On Oct 09, 2023
The igbos are from nri tribe, an igboid group or race...who are all these Yoruba scholars trying to place ile'ife as the birth of all Nigerian tribes lol. Mere looking at the people's you will see that there were no such earlier interactions. Anyone can write an article, put any name and post online, to suit a narrative. Igbos didn't come from ile'ife . Yorubas, igbos, edos are all different, no such early interactions exist. Language, culture, mannerisms everything, different. No such influence of one on another is seen, not visible, Oni's claim is nothing but folklore and myths.

3 Likes

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ebubu: 8:09pm On Oct 09, 2023
Neckpresser101:

YellowBa idiot

Be exposing your dirty self
where are ihbos from?
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Chimarto: 8:12pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ebubu:
Ole
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Bestmanfornow: 8:24pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ozommadu:

I told you guys that guy is a Yoruba boy

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ofunaofu: 8:25pm On Oct 09, 2023
Chibuzoripob:
I believe Oni"s version.We IGBO are immigrants from Ile Ife.History dnt lie cool

You are not a real Igbo man

Your type is 'my mama tell me say my Papa na Igbo man'

No outsider, I repeat no outsider can tell you your history bro
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Mystic969: 8:34pm On Oct 09, 2023
Interesting research, I see reason in your facts sir....nice work.
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by illicit(m): 8:41pm On Oct 09, 2023
Yes like I said yesterday on the original thread

Yoruba and Igbo Languages belong to the same family

I am a Linguist
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Neckpresser101: 8:44pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ebubu:
where are ihbos from?

Go ask your grandfather!
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Neckpresser101: 8:45pm On Oct 09, 2023
illicit:
Yes like I said yesterday on the original thread

Yoruba and Igbo Languages belong to the same family

I am a Linguist

Ọ onye ofe mmanụ

You get strength o
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ebubu: 9:01pm On Oct 09, 2023
Neckpresser101:

Go ask your grandfather!

thats because Igbos are from no where
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Cassandraloius: 9:25pm On Oct 09, 2023
sad
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Neckpresser101: 10:47pm On Oct 09, 2023
Ebubu:

Where are Yorubas from? I heard they fell from the sky grin
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Nobody: 1:42am On Oct 10, 2023
Ebubu:
Did you stop being from Ebonyi?
Why do yorubas seek validation of Igbo people so badly? Your mainstream leaders are often talking about us. Oba of Lagos, Ooni, Tinubu. All your leaders have something to say about igbos.
You yourself had to claim igbo just to troll igbos. Do you see or hear an igbo top king or politician talk about yorubas? Do you see an igbo person claiming to be from a Yoruba state to troll you guys?
Do you see why we feel superior to you? Do you see how you cheapen yourself daily to us?

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by CJStarz: 3:27am On Oct 10, 2023
Ozommadu:

Yes indeed. We've caught him red handed.
Even bn looking at his moniker lately. Ebubu is not an Igbo word. It's either Ebuka or Ebube!
This guy's smart by half!

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by CJStarz: 3:31am On Oct 10, 2023
Ebubu:

Now we caught you. Why pretend to be an Ebonyi man? U just showed who you truly are. No wonder you're filled with hate,rage and vile against the Igbos, especially,Igbos of Anambra extraction.
Be proud of your Yoruba race and stop being an impostor.
Putting it to you directly that you are not an Igbo person. Ur moniker may sound Igbo but definitely not one! U probably meant to type Ebube or Ebuka?
Very disgusting of you.

1 Like

Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ebubu: 7:42am On Oct 10, 2023
CJStarz:

Now we caught you. Why pretend to be an Ebonyi man? U just showed who you truly are. No wonder you're filled with hate,rage and vile against the Igbos, especially,Igbos of Anambra extraction.
Be proud of your Yoruba race and stop being an impostor.
Putting it to you directly that you are not an Igbo person. Ur moniker may sound Igbo but definitely not one! U probably meant to type Ebube or Ebuka?
Very disgusting of you.

I am from Ohaukwu LGA Ebonyi state
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by Ebubu: 7:43am On Oct 10, 2023
CJStarz:

Yes indeed. We've caught him red handed.
Even bn looking at his moniker lately. Ebubu is not an Igbo word. It's either Ebuka or Ebube!
This guy's smart by half!
ebubu is sweet name coined from my name
Re: Maazị Ogbonnaya Okoro Responses To Ooni Of Ife About the Igbo Race by julaion: 10:52am On Oct 28, 2023
Neckpresser101:

Facts and figures

He didn't add Igbo ukwu arts

First bronze makers in west Africa are Igbos

We were fvcking awesome craftsmen
No be lie

(1) (2) (Reply)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, Rivers State / 911 Is Messing Up! / Slangs! When Should They Be Avoided?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.