Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election (29478 Views)

Leaked Audio: INEC Consultant Caught, Says Tinubu Plans $170M Bribe - Gazette / Tinubu Plans Brief Return To Nigeria On Sunday, To Go For More Surgeries - SR / 2019 Imo Governorship: Moment Emeka Ihedioha & Tony Nwulu Campaigns Met (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by oshozondii: 1:22pm On Oct 13, 2023
Tinubu’s Plan To Release IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Stalled By Southeast Nigerian Politics, Imo Gov Poll

Nnamdi Kanu, the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) would have regained his freedom but for Imo State politics and the forthcoming governorship election in the state, SaharaReporters can exclusively report.

Kanu, the leader of the separatist group was on June 19, 2021, abducted from Nairobi airport in Kenya and then detained and tortured for about 10 days in Kenya.

Under Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, Kanu was subsequently flown by private plane from Kenya to Nigeria later in June 2021.

Since Kanu was brought to Nigeria to face trial for terrorism charges, he has been detained in solitary confinement at the headquarters of the Department of State Services, Nigeria’s secret police, in the capital city, Abuja.

Mr Kanu, a British citizen, has requested consular assistance from the British government, but the appeals failed.

However, sources in the Presidency told SaharaReporters on Friday that President Bola Tinubu would have ordered the release of Kanu but he was advised against doing so at this time by some politicians close to him.

SaharaReporters learnt that Tinubu was advised to hold on till after Imo State governorship election scheduled for November 11, 2023, as Kanu’s release before then could have political implications in the Southeast region.

The release of Nnamdi Kanu was stalled by the Southeast politics of Imo. They claimed to Tinubu that his release might affect the election in Imo so the President waited,” one of the sources told SaharaReporters.

On Sunday, another separatist leader Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, who was in Cotonou, Republic of Benin capital, said that he was now legally free to return to Nigeria, after two years.

Igboho, who has since left the Republic of Benin to see his family in Germany, disclosed that he was now free to return to Nigeria and visit any country in the world.

The Yoruba Nation agitator said he had “fulfilled all the legal conditions attached to my bail few years back and I am coming home to Nigeria, my country of origin, any moment from now”.

Igboho was arrested on July 20, 2021, at Cardinal Bernardin International Airport in Cotonou, while trying to travel to Germany three weeks after he was declared wanted by Nigeria secret police, the Department of State Services (DSS).

Nigerian government made efforts to have Igboho expedited to Nigeria from the Republic of Benin like it was done in Kanu’s case but failed.

He was later granted bail by a Benin Republic court and was allowed to remain in Cotonou.

Igboho commended some prominent Yoruba indigenes, politicians, the media, academia and monarchs for the support he enjoyed in Cotonou.

SaharaReporters had reported that the Court of Appeal in October 2022 discharged Kanu of the counts filed against him. The appellate court subsequently barred any further arrest, detention and trial of Kanu by the agents of the government.

The Nigerian government later appealed against the judgement at the Supreme Court and subsequently got another panel of the Court of Appeal to stay the judgement of the appellate court.

Despite the judgements in favour of Kanu, he has remained in solitary confinement at the facility of the DSS.

On Tuesday, Kanu, through one of his lawyers, Aloy Ejimakor, said the Court of Appeal should not consider adjourning the hearing on IPOB’s appeal challenging its proscription as a terrorist organisation by the Nigerian government.

The Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal in March fixed October 16 to hear the appeal filed by IPOB to challenge its proscription as a terrorist organisation.

The Nigerian government under former President Muhammadu Buhari proscribed IPOB over its alleged killings and other atrocities in its agitation for the actualisation of the Biafra Nation.

On January 18, 2018, a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja held that the proscription of IPOB by former President Buhari's government was in order.

Justice Abdul Abdu-Kafarati of the Federal High Court proscribed IPOB based on the ex parte motion filed by the then Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), on behalf of the Nigerian government, specifically declaring as illegal, all IPOB’s activities, particularly in the Southeast and South-South regions of Nigeria.

But the group approached the Court of Appeal insisting that the trial court erred in law. It pleaded with the court to set aside the order of the lower court and the motion ex parte.

IPOB in its five grounds of appeal contended that Justice Abdu-Kafarati erred in law and occasioned a miscarriage of justice, when he ruled that the mandatory statutory condition requiring Buhari’s approval, under Section 2 (1) (C) of the Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act, 2013, was satisfied, on the authority of a Memo the AGF issued on September 15, 2017.

https://saharareporters.com/2023/10/13/exclusive-tinubus-plan-release-ipob-leader-nnamdi-kanu-stalled-southeast-nigerian

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by ILoveNG: 1:24pm On Oct 13, 2023
It won’t happen. Terrorists must not be freed.

68 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Ttalk: 1:30pm On Oct 13, 2023
Yeah, MNK would be released if 3 states in SE become APC state

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Taylor94: 1:33pm On Oct 13, 2023
A man who clearly said he won’t beg for his release

Na that day I fear Kanu

I still remembered when this Fat pig called Asari risked his life to go save Kanu from Umuahia when Buhari was looking for him

They brought Kanu to Rivers State government house as instructed by Wike

But today I no come understand wetin dey happen again

Same Asari that his middle name is Uzodinma LMFAO

It’s just like me denying that I’m not Igbo when my first names is Igbo name but with slight difference spelling and pronunciation

Abeg make una free my man

84 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Taylor94: 1:34pm On Oct 13, 2023
ILoveNG:

Who carry pikin thing lift am go up

When hand begin pain am he go bring hand down

If I’ve to explain this adage to you then your moms bridal price needs to be returned

130 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by TinubuThief: 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2023
APC NONSENSE and useless propaganda

It's too cheap to fall for

13 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Biafrannuke: 1:38pm On Oct 13, 2023
Funny news

He has beaten you countless times in your own corrupt courts. All the courts ordered you to release him, all Igbo leaders want you to release him, UN wants him released and same with BIAFRAN people.

You have no choice Narcowaju.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by socialmediaman: 1:43pm On Oct 13, 2023
Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Raskimonojendor: 1:44pm On Oct 13, 2023
I see Nnamdi Kanu becoming an APC member if this happens. Lol

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Peacemaker5128: 1:55pm On Oct 13, 2023
Raskimonojendor:
I see Nnamdi Kanu becoming an APC member if this happens. Lol
Simon Ekpa will show him Shege

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Jostoman: 1:59pm On Oct 13, 2023
So una think say this cheap propaganda tactics na him APC go use win Imo state election after all the calamity and killings of innocent Imo state youths by APC government all in the name of fighting IPOB.

Any Imo state youths that is planning to vote for APC in next month election is a Big FOOL.

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by LegendHero(m): 2:33pm On Oct 13, 2023
I won’t believe this news yet.

However, I know Tinubu well, he is the kind of guy that will release Kanu because of the kind of politics he play and his philosophy of live and let live.

After releasing him and he start fomenting another trouble, I will be here to laugh at Tinubu.

On May 29, I had initially advised the president to release him but looking at what has happened from then till now, I think they should just send him to Hades.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Beremx(f): 2:34pm On Oct 13, 2023
Tinubu forever with earn my respect if he releases Nnamdi Kanu. Igbo people will forever be grateful to him.
BTW, the Supreme Court Governor will still lose whether it concerns Nnamdi Kanu or not. He cannot be indirectly killing his own people and expect to be voted as governor. The only way he would win is massive rigging and voters intimidation

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by LegendHero(m): 2:35pm On Oct 13, 2023
Beremx:
Tinubu forever with earn my respect if he releases Nnamdi Kanu. Igbo people will forever be grateful to him.
BTW, the Supreme Court Governor will still lose whether it concerns Nnamdi Kanu or not. He cannot be indirectly killing his own people and expect to be voted as governor. The only way he would win is massive rigging and voters intimidation

Tinubu will definitely release him. But it will not be a wise decision.

But come to think of it, it could be killing two bird with a stone.

Release Kanu and divide the current Obidients into two ideologies. Those who want Biafra truly and those who want Peter Obi.

Now when Kanu start "Biafra or death" chant, na those Obidient group go dey fight eachother and calling the other efulefu. The drama will be sweet to watch.

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Beremx(f): 2:41pm On Oct 13, 2023
LegendHero:

Release Kanu and divide the current Obidients into two ideologies. Those who want Biafra truly and those who want Peter Obi.

Now when Kanu start "Biafra or death" chant, na those Obidient group go dey fight eachother and calling the other efulefu. The drama will be sweet to watch.
the advantages of releasing NK is bigger than it's disadvantages. The stupid Igbo politicians from Imo state are not wise. If they want more votes from Imo people they should tell Tinubu to release NK. It's a simple logic

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by EmirofAfonjaz: 2:43pm On Oct 13, 2023
Abi? grin

I don't blame your thinking..I just blame the Foolishness that birthed it.

All I know is this... HAMAS will die in droves today by 11.00. it's operation kill prophet Mohammed in Palestine and other terrorist enablers in the middle East.

Mudafucka

LegendHero:

13 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by MadamExcellency: 2:47pm On Oct 13, 2023
LegendHero:

Was it not Lagos State that gave Peter Obi more than a million votes? Where are they dividing into? Nasarawa, Edo, Benue, Abuja nko?

You're still deluded on what Obidients mean.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by okeyfrank: 2:53pm On Oct 13, 2023
ILoveNG:

The obvious Truth is that, Nnamdi Kanu has 99.9percent support in the Old Eastern Region, even from those in govt who seem to be silent because of their positions.

The worst thing that will happen to Nigeria is if Nnamdi Kanu dies in detention, cos, it will accelerate the end of Nigeria,

Let the Govt conduct a referendum and see that holding Nnamdi Kanu is tantamount to attempting to hold Ndigbo, and as such, will always bring doom for Nigeria.

The terrorist GMB leg govt and all their agents should cover their faces in SHAME.

Apart from Tinubu not winning the Presidential Election, he IS NOT a terrorist like the past govt.

Tinubu is a free minded leader unlike the terrorists sympathetic Buhari; he will surely release our dear MNK so as to gain some level of acceptance, despite not winning the elections.

8 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Highlife217: 2:55pm On Oct 13, 2023
This and the creation of Biafra would make Tinubu a legend among Ndi-Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by okeyfrank: 3:02pm On Oct 13, 2023
Highlife217:
This and the creation of Biafra would make Tinubu a legend among Ndi-Igbo.

With the way the enemies of Ndigbo like Buhari and his unfortunate agents handled the Igbos, BIAFRAN Restoration is very certain; let the rest of Nigeria deal with it.

The ONLY THING that can stop BIAFRA is a total Restructuring of Nigeria and devolution of power to the Regions, Zones, or States, with state autonomy and resource control.

Insecurity in Nigeria will instantly come to an end if the security apparatuses are decentralised as well as with STATE POLICE.

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Peacemaker5128: 3:10pm On Oct 13, 2023
simon Ekpa is the new IPOB leader
Nnamdi Kanu has been relegated

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Spunick(m): 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2023
Wetin Tinubu suppose do to easy the hardship of the country he no go do.. this country just weak person

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by b0rn2fuck(m): 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2023
Good news if its true ...

Bi mo se jagun obo to ni nairaland. Mi o ri obo kan kan do..
Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by BrokenCondom: 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2023
Click bait abi na Election Bait. Dummbos will masturbate at this.

Two Keywords in Here, Tinubu + Nnamdi Kanu.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Googledotcom: 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2023
Long overdue

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Whois(m): 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2023
Eriggs aka MANNABBQGRILL will not like this

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by DMerciful(m): 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2023
If you think this is a Greek gift for possible Supreme Court miscarriage of justice, you lie Amoda!

Supreme Court has to sack Amoda for forgery and rigging

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by richie240: 3:12pm On Oct 13, 2023
Hehehehe .......if u believe this then u can blv anything.
Well the message get destination sha.
Na for the ppl wey blv say buhari na jubril el-sudani.

E nor conssyn umu chineke.
grin grin
Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by Akwamkpuruamu: 3:12pm On Oct 13, 2023
Tinubu releasing MNK, will restore peace

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Plans To Release Nnamdi Kanu After Imo Governorship Election by GanagiBitrus: 3:13pm On Oct 13, 2023
That'll probably calm down a lot of nerves.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

State, Regional And Federal Flags And Symbols Of Nigeria / Rhodes-Vivour Donates ₦‎15M To Victims Of Burnt Ajegunle Spare Parts Market / PHOTO: Another Man To Trek From Maiduguri To Abuja In Honor Of Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.