Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,326 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take (2130 Views)

Forex Restrictions On 43 Items Resulted In $1.4 Billion Revenue Drop — Cardoso / Bola Tinubu's Statement On The Lifting Of The Twitter Ban / House Of Representatives Reject Lifting Of Twitter Ban By Majority Vote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by nurey(m): 11:31pm On Oct 13, 2023
Paraman:
Imported rice will be cheaper than rice from the northern part, you will see in few days time.

You are not in Nigeria. First of all, dollar is scarce adding 43 products to also tap for the I and E window is tantamount to failure already I believe the govt only unbanned the products to boost earnings from duties and other taxes which are been lost to smughling.

The ban removal will cause extreme untold hardship because nigerian companies will have to shutdown due to
1. Nigerians preference of foreign goods to locally made

2. They won't be able to compete favorably from imported goods.

Why is imported goods cheaper than local ones?
1. Their govt provides enabling environment for them to thrive by
a. Subsidizing cost of production
b. Providing improved ways of production including inputs.
c. Provision of support to manufacturing because it is the backbone of employment which means tax remittance will be high, keeping the population employed.
d. Reduction in bottle neck in doing business.
e. They support their own, any local business that is about to fold up, govt provides bail out to stop increase in unemployment.
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Kukutente23: 11:32pm On Oct 13, 2023
Paraman:
$0.2 is not the same thing as $0.20

Importers can even buy rice from Asia for less than $0.20/kg
This is primary school mathematics o
Fractions and Decimals

Which country sells rice less than 0.2/kg in Asia
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Kukutente23: 11:33pm On Oct 13, 2023
Paraman:
Why will I do so?

I will quote you in november when price fall
Ok
I'll wait
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by FreeStuffsNG: 11:41pm On Oct 13, 2023
Saintinoo:
It was with joy that many Nigerians received the news from CBN yesterday that the 43 items previously banned from accessing forex have been lifted. What do you expect, Nigerians are suffering and to couple it, we are so emotional in this country. But the question is, what are the implication of this policy by CBN?

Already there is shortage of forex in the country, many do not know why CBN have scarcity of forex, well, we don't have enough dollar in our reserve because we export few commodity in the international market.

Implication of this policy by CBN:

1. Scarcity of forex: the already scares dollar will be fought for by many importers, making the dollar even more scares, and in economics, scarcity creates value. Now you can say that we are devaluing the naira more.

2. Threat to local production: a country which is having such exchange rate problem should look at ways to improve and increase exports, and also increase local production for local consumption and have less need for exported goods. This will reduce pressure on the dollar directly and also grow our local industries. Forex which should have been provided for manufacturers is now given to importers of finished goods.

3. Risk of imported inflation: It might interest you to know that the current inflation is not only a Nigerian thing, but global, intact, inflation is currently biting hard in US, UK and many advanceddd economies, while we import those commodities, we also import inflation coming with it, added to the inflation in Nigeria.

4. Higher Import duties: most people might think that that bringing in commodities like cement, rice and beef into the country will bring down the prices, many factors will still shoot up price, like higher import duties, clearing fees etc.

In summary, inasmuch as lifting the ban on those 43 items was aimed at reducing hardship, I see it as a trial and error kind of policy since they (CBN) didn't tell us how or what they plan to achieve with it. May God help us all.

Drops pen.

For straight 8 years, protectionist policies were in place fiscally and monetarily to achieve local sufficiency and some issues you are now touting as bargaining chip but here's the truth and fact, the policies worked but the beneficiaries like Alhaji Aliko Dangote, GCON and Alhaji Rabiu and countless others never allowed the benefits reach the citizens. 3 Nigerian cement companies earned the highest profit in the world when compared to even global leaders!
https://www.nairaland.com/7872582/cement-dangote-lafarge-bua-post

That's the unfortunate truth and govt can't keep folding its arms or throwing them up in the air. Nigerians did not elect Dangote, Rabiu and others, Nigerians elected President Bola Ahmed Tinubu so he must place the overwhelming interest of the generality of Nigerians.

The proscribed items were not banned but the importers were forbidden from using the subsidized forex to bring them in. With this new policy, those importers will no longer be crowding and piling pressure on the parallel market but come to the official market to source forex. When these importers become very profitable, eventually their partners overseas will come to Nigeria and build factories and closer to the market.

Most of the policies that favour indigenous companies are still in place but protectionism in fx has ceased.
By now, patriotic Nigerians should be clamouring for investigation of all the beneficiaries of the CBN policies that banned those items. Did they place their selfish interests over that of the nation? When will they be arrested and prosecuted? How do we ensure that imported goods don't start leveraging on the artificial high cost of the local products?
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Paraman: 11:42pm On Oct 13, 2023
Kukutente23:

This is primary school mathematics o
Fractions and Decimals

Which country sells rice less than 0.2/kg in Asia
There's no where in my post I claim a kg of rice is sold for $0.2, so I don't know where you got your price from.
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Kukutente23: 11:48pm On Oct 13, 2023
Paraman:
There's no where in my post I claim a kg of rice is sold for $0.2, so I don't know where you got your price from.

Bros stop disgracing yourself $0.2 and $0.20 mean the same thing. Why are you allowing yourself to be confused by common zero.

So answer the question. Which Asian country sells rice per kg for $0.2
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Paraman: 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2023
Kukutente23:

Bros stop disgracing yourself $0.2 and $0.20 mean the same thing. Why are you allowing yourself to be confused by common zero.

So answer the question. Which Asian country sells rice per kg for $0.2
Is 1 Kobo the same as 10 Kobo?
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Kukutente23: 12:02am On Oct 14, 2023
Paraman:
Is 1 Kobo the same as 10 Kobo?
What a question!!
1 kobo is N0.01
10 kobo is N0.1
Can you spot the difference
Can't believe I have to do this

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by motymop: 12:14am On Oct 14, 2023
Paraman:
Importers can now get dollars at the CBN rate.

If I calculate it base on CBN rate, a 25kg rice will only cost pata pata 9-10k

How much is the import duty and other expenses? The rice will still be cheaper than a 25kg rice from northern Nigeria.

That is not true.

Even at cbn rate, there is no way, a 25kg can cost 9 to 10k.

Historically, imported rice has always be expensive than locally made rice.

There is a 10 percent tariff and a 60 percent levy (totaling 70 percent tax) on imported rice. That alone will make imported rice very expensive.
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Odibembem: 5:04am On Oct 14, 2023
ozolity:
I think the major reason for lifting the ban is to close the gap between the parallel market and the official market for exchange rate. These products were still being imported but the importers sourced funds from the parallel market. The CBN wants to bring them to the official window so as to reduce patronage of the black market.

Simple. This is d one only reason for lifting d ban, it's not to make any of them cheaper. They were never banned in d first place just that they were hitherto sourcing forex in d black mkt now they are to come to d official I and E window
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Chispa: 6:26am On Oct 14, 2023
ogun strike you dead, enemy of massess, how many southerners and easternars are working in rice mill?
Solsix:

Have you ever thought about job losses? If these rice mill in Nigeria closes the resultant effects will much
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Jlow2: 7:30am On Oct 14, 2023
Solsix:

Have you ever thought about job losses? If these rice mill in Nigeria closes the resultant effects will much
so because we dnt want job losses we should by it at higher prices?
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Senioreddy: 8:10am On Oct 14, 2023
Kukutente23:

Which country are you getting 0.2/kg from? You're beginning to manufacture data
Prices will not fall in November. Our forex is a mess. You're looking at pre-2015 when we had a healthy forex. Right now $1=N1000
The only saving grace is if imported rice becomes duty free or smuggling of rice becomes attractive. As far as official line is concerned, there's no way you're going to get rice cheaper than it is.
The best you can hope for is stability of the price.

Bros smuggling is the main deal.
Just see how rice will start flooding lagos market from seme next week.
Even customs officials are now so happy.
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Adolfnigeria: 8:25am On Oct 14, 2023
the CBN is not sincere. Even on the official market, the CBN is not supplying dollars. Banks have stopped giving PTA - so why this move ? Its just propaganda.

They are either positioning for another round of devaluation or trying to fight inflation.

Rice produced in india, china, bangladesh and thailand is way cheaper than that produced in Nigeria.

Short term gain, long term pain. Because no doubt these industry will collapse in Nigeria vis a vis the textile industry. Make una chop enjoy rice ----
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by heykims(m): 8:33am On Oct 14, 2023
Paraman:
$0.2 is not the same thing as $0.20

Importers can even buy rice from Asia for less than $0.20/kg
$0.2 not same as $0.20?
U joking?

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Kukutente23: 8:51am On Oct 14, 2023
Senioreddy:

Bros smuggling is the main deal.
Just see how rice will start flooding lagos market from seme next week.
Even customs officials are now so happy.
But the thing is smuggling will not increase our forex. But it will bring down the price of rice and such smuggled goods definitely
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Kukutente23: 8:52am On Oct 14, 2023
heykims:

$0.2 not same as $0.20?
U joking?
Those are Tinubu bots
You can judge their level of intelligence thus
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Paraman: 9:39am On Oct 14, 2023
Adolfnigeria:
the CBN is not sincere. Even on the official market, the CBN is not supplying dollars. Banks have stopped giving PTA - so why this move ? Its just propaganda.

They are either positioning for another round of devaluation or trying to fight inflation.

Rice produced in india, china, bangladesh and thailand is way cheaper than that produced in Nigeria.

Short term gain, long term pain. Because no doubt these industry will collapse in Nigeria vis a vis the textile industry. Make una chop enjoy rice ----
So far the Government keep on supporting local Rice farmers genuinely, they will be able to compete
Re: CBN Lifting Of Forex Ban On 43 Items Previously Ban. My Take by Senioreddy: 1:31pm On Oct 23, 2023
Kukutente23:

But the thing is smuggling will not increase our forex. But it will bring down the price of rice and such smuggled goods definitely

Lol wetin concern local man with forex?
The language an average Nigerian understands is make things cheap shikena

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dariye Returns To Pdp / Bakare Liable To Death By Stoning In Islamic Law- Jibrin / Court Quashes Decision Of Ikoyi Club 1938 To Expel Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.