Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items (35540 Views)

CBN To Intervene In Forex Market, Lifts Ban On 43 Items / CBN Reiterates Stance On FX Access, ‘status Quo Remains On 43 Non-eligible items / Forex Restriction Threatens Over 50,000 Jobs In Dairy Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by JagabanB: 9:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
DMerciful:
The elections were rigged! That was why IREV was shutdown to prevent electronic transmission and force manual collation overnight where results are usually changed
Prove in court that results were changed not beer parlor talks without proof.
Proof what u are saying.
Buhari didn't come with IREV, read what we are talking about.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by JagabanB: 9:14pm On Oct 15, 2023
Funkyswagzz:

If you say this with your full chest I can only say may Nigeria happen to you and ur family IJN.
"May Nigeria happen to you" seems to hold a lot of weight to f00Is like u, I am a proud Nîgeriàn, when u say "may Nigèria happen to you" it's an empty statement.
And I am saying everything I am telling with all authenticity, I don't know what's "full chest" reserve that sIang for ur trenches.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by TrumpDonald2: 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:
I am not an Obi boy
You can never be.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by JagabanB: 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2023
peculiar2233:

Hope you are already buying your own products at cheaper rate. Oponu
Yes, same way people of Anambra bought at cheaper rate when Obi was govèrñór.
Come 2027, me and my family will still kick Obi out.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by JagabanB: 9:16pm On Oct 15, 2023
LegallyBlunt:
Which Nigerians?
I mean Nigerians who love their country not emergency lovers of Nîgeria.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Funkyswagzz(m): 9:35pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:

"May Nigeria happen to you" seems to hold a lot of weight to f00Is like u, I am a proud Nîgeriàn, when u say "may Nigèria happen to you" it's an empty statement.
And I am saying everything I am telling with all authenticity, I don't know what's "full chest" reserve that sIang for ur trenches.

Obviously u wont accept it cos u know u telling urself lies just to validate ur illusions. Keep running away from buhari's failure same u who voted him in. Check when pdp ruled and now apc is ruling. What a disaster 😂😂😂🏃🏃🏃

Two clueless vegetables in power playing gamble with our economy
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by JagabanB: 9:45pm On Oct 15, 2023
Funkyswagzz:

Obviously u wont accept it cos u know u telling urself lies just to validate ur illusions. Keep running away from buhari's failure same u who voted him in. Check when pdp ruled and now apc is ruling. What a disaster 😂😂😂🏃🏃🏃

Two clueless vegetables in power playing gamble with our economy
I crîtîcîzed Buhari's decision, that's what governance is all about.
I still crîtîcîze Tinubu's decisions even on this platform.
PDPs rule led us here.
I can list a billion errors from PDPs rule.
Make una rest ok.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Easylife1234: 9:47pm On Oct 15, 2023
Understand. Thanks
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by SeaTrade(m): 9:52pm On Oct 15, 2023
ednut1:
and who told you everyone sources FX from Cbn. How are importers of spare parts, electronics or even frozen food doing it 😒
You said manufacturing is dead in Nigeria,that everyone in the sector is leaving.
That's why I asked you who the CBN is trying to clear their backlog of FX demand?
I have no business with traders importing with medium scale capital as it's an almost insignificant segment of that market,even though their costings rapidly affect shelf prices of some items,but overall insignificant.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Funkyswagzz(m): 9:58pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:

I crîtîcîzed Buhari's decision, that's what governance is all about.
I still crîtîcîze Tinubu's decisions even on this platform.
PDPs rule led us here.
I can list a billion errors from PDPs rule.
Make una rest ok.

Lol no be only error, which error pass apc? Keep deceiving urself. I remember how all of u wont let us hear word on how tinubu lagos. Just dey play!
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by peculiar2233: 10:09pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:

Yes, same way people of Anambra bought at cheaper rate when Obi was govèrñór.
Come 2027, me and my family will still kick Obi out.
You agbadorians can't even hold a conversation in a day without mentioning Obi's name😂😂 Alaye epe ti n ja e ooo 😂😄😄
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Chibzynj: 10:13pm On Oct 15, 2023
What about our Naira cards that is banned from being used to make international transactions, are we not forced to put pressure on the parallel market for every international transaction that would have been done at I&E rate?

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by godofuck231: 10:31pm On Oct 15, 2023
Idiots
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by JagabanB: 10:35pm On Oct 15, 2023
peculiar2233:

You agbadorians can't even hold a conversation in a day without mentioning Obi's name😂😂 Alaye epe ti n ja e ooo 😂😄😄
And u cañ't spend 2 hours a day without talking about Tinubu.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by JagabanB: 10:35pm On Oct 15, 2023
Funkyswagzz:

Lol no be only error, which error pass apc? Keep deceiving urself. I remember how all of u wont let us hear word on how tinubu lagos. Just dey play!
I am sure u are probably a toddler who's unaware of his environment under PDP.
That's how most of u are.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by grandstar(m): 10:42pm On Oct 15, 2023
Akwamkpuruamu:
Double edged, confused government.

The restriction aimed at reducing foreign exchange demand for products that could be locally produced, improve employment generation and conserve foreign reserves.

Your last paragraph op, negates this. Eg, Local rice goes for around 50k per bag now. Imported rice will hardly cross 35k/bag. How will the local rice factory generate employment, if not to pack up?

This importation increase will make all competing local production to just die. We lack the comparative advantage with imported goods. Just forget about production because the producers won't break even. Unemployment will increase.

The only gain in this, is that, the prices of foodstuffs will come down within the reach of the common man. As for increased foreign reserve, employment generation, na Big lie. It won't work. Local production is gone the drain

If today, Nigeria chooses to place zero percent import duty on all product and services, manufacturers capacity utilization will increase rather than decrease. 52% of the inputs manufacturers use in the first place are imported. When the government implemented forex restrictions to those products, many companies left the country or packed up.

Zero percent import duty on textile fabrics will produce lots of jobs. The demand for fabrics is a derived demand. You can't just wear the fabrics. It has to be sown into garments. The tailoring shops will enjoy a boon. The same with steel. The same with milk.

If local manufacturers die out, bye bye. It is creative destruction at work. With low import duties, companies will focus on what the country has comparative advantage in. If you have no comparative advantage in it, you won't be able to compete and eventually collapse.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Funkyswagzz(m): 10:44pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:

I am sure u are probably a toddler who's unaware of his environment under PDP.
That's how most of u are.

😂😂😂🏃🏃🏃🏃 Dey play!!
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by ednut1(m): 10:59pm On Oct 15, 2023
SeaTrade:
You said manufacturing is dead in Nigeria,that everyone in the sector is leaving.
That's why I asked you who the CBN is trying to clear their backlog of FX demand?
I have no business with traders importing with medium scale capital as it's an almost insignificant segment of that market,even though their costings rapidly affect shelf prices of some items,but overall insignificant.
airlines, institutional investors, importers of pharmaceuticals and other essential goods. Etc. are you fine now
Example below
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/600m-trapped-funds-tinubu-directs-cbn-to-meet-foreign-airlines/amp/
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by SeaTrade(m): 11:05pm On Oct 15, 2023
ednut1:
airlines, institutional investors, importers of pharmaceuticals and other essential goods. Etc. are you fine now
So its airlines, FPIs, pharmaceuticals and finished essential products that own the $10B worth of backlogs CBN is trying to clear right? undecided
Total FPI inflow since this year is just about $300m ,just to give you a little insight...
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by peculiar2233: 11:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:

And u cañ't spend 2 hours a day without talking about Tinubu.
You mean the carrier crim*nal or which one exactly?
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by ednut1(m): 12:19am On Oct 16, 2023
SeaTrade:
So its airlines, FPIs, pharmaceuticals and finished essential products that own the $10B worth of backlogs CBN is trying to clear right? undecided
Total FPI inflow since this year is just about $300m ,just to give you a little insight...
me i have provided one evidence. Airlines over 600m usd backlog. You self provide one evidence it’s manufacturing na

https://businessday.ng/business-economy/article/foreign-investors-find-escape-route-from-nigeria-in-dual-listed-stocks/?amp=1

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by DMerciful(m): 12:59am On Oct 16, 2023
Tinubu worked with Mahmmud to compromised the election and you need same INEC to prove it. Thats why its difficult but the Supreme Court must interpret the electoral act
JagabanB:

Prove in court that results were changed not beer parlor talks without proof.
Proof what u are saying.
Buhari didn't come with IREV, read what we are talking about.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Ogan79(m): 3:30am On Oct 16, 2023
JagabanB:

Somehow a Nigerian thinks governance is about party, the party doesn't decide what happens, the individual called the president does.
INEC didn't force them on Nigerians, they won election that ur candidate lost.
Nîgeriàns made their choice and their choice is not your candidate.
Big Lie,infact that They won the election is a big fallacy from the pit of he'll.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by wowcatty: 4:44am On Oct 16, 2023
Isn't now that Nigeria is broke the best time to split the country, so everyone can go and continue from where they left off in 1966? This unitary system is the worst thing, states are all looking up to Abuja when they should be in competitions in developing their resources.

What will be your reaction be when president Tinubu convenes a conference on regional autonomy?
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by wowcatty: 4:46am On Oct 16, 2023
They won overwhelmingly and you lost, deal with it.
Ogan79:

Big Lie,infact that They won the election is a big fallacy from the pit of he'll.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by TimelineMag: 5:51am On Oct 16, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
Believe the rubbish above at your peril. What business does the cbn have with the parallel market? The parallel market exists simply as a result of the failure of the CBN to make dollars available so people have to source for dollars elsewhere. The simple truth is that Nigeria is not earning enough dollars. The profligacy and wastefulness of the Jonathan and Buhari government is beginning to catch up with us. You have on the right track

The billions of dollars being stolen from this country has brought Nigeria to its knees. Instead of addressing the thieves, the APC and PDP rather chose to embark on borrowing mindlessly. These loans have to be paid back and serviced in dollars. Presently 96% of Nigerias earnings are channeled into debt servicing. Which useless and stupid CBN governor has been in charge for the past 12 years? That fool Emiefele.

There is nothing the CBN can do now. The present CBN governor is very senseless with this poorly thought out policy. There are better ways to seek harmonization of both the parallel and official market. In the first place, it is even wrong that selling of currency is even a business. That is a very fundamental failure for any Central Bank.
If the CBN can't guarantee availability of dollars in the official market then this policy is as useless as it comes. The parallel market only responds to the official market. The dollar didn't cross 1000 naira until Tinubu came up with a supposed harmonization policy. We all see what a disaster that has become.

BUHARI WAS AN ILLITERATE WITH HIS IMPORT RESTRICTION POLICIES. HE KILLED NIGERIA.

Every economy has things it produces cheaper than other countries. So it is advisable to dwell on what you can cheaply produce and import what another country can produce cheaper. Import restriction policies are failed policies. Nigeria will never be able to produce rice cheaper than India and Thailand can. Restricting imports only forces the prices of inadequate local supply to rise. Just as we have seen local rice do. Multiply this scenario across a number of other sectors and then you understand what damage Buhari really did.

The ban on poultry importation pushed so many people into poultry business. This created a huge demand for poultry feed that the feed making companies in Nigeria still can't meet with. The result, high price of feeds, which leads to high price of birds and eggs at the point of sale. The present price of a crate of eggs is twice what it was at the end of Jonathans tenure.

Nigeria has too many built-in economic efficiencies. We do not have the knowledge base for tertiary industries and secondary even. We can't drive a 21st century economy primarily on subsistence industry. Government can't keep paying lip service to science and technology and expect things should change. It is far easier to steal and which is what our political class have done and keep doing. I have nothing but utter contempt for them.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Owologbo(m): 7:50am On Oct 16, 2023
KillIgbohoN0W:
By Bamidele Ogunwusi

Source: Independent

Will this makes banks that lack dollar to have dollars now?
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Owologbo(m): 7:52am On Oct 16, 2023
Seefinish:
The same party that banned those products is the same party that lift the ban.
APC has nothing good to offer the country.
The two presidents INEC forced on us from APC don't have traceable ancestry and educational qualifications.

confused criminals doing trier by error with our economy.
will this make dollar available in the banks.
APC is here to kill and destroy.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Spidermon: 10:16am On Oct 16, 2023
dexmond:
Nigerians should ask the government the following questions:

1. What happened to all the dollars that come into the country via crude oil sales? How does CBN handle it for the government?

2. When the formost economist Mr Boyo was alive, he spoke about how activities in the parallel market gets very active during FAAC allocation. These spike in the parallel market activities were usually driven by wholesale demand for dollar by politicians. The question is, what do politicians do with the dollars if not to store in Septic tanks or send it to offshore account.There should be a complete ban on BDC operations.

Nigerians should be asking these lines of questions.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Chuksgeo: 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2023
Confusedkadima!
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by syntekelite(m): 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2023
Seefinish:
The same party that banned those products is the same party that lift the ban.
APC has nothing good to offer the country.
The two presidents INEC forced on us from APC don't have traceable ancestry and educational qualifications.

And you are certain you werent part of those who believed jonathan didnt do a single project,dasuki chop arms money,who believed buhari when he said there is nothing like subsidy,are you certain you werent part of those who voted out jonathan...
80% of what buhari commissioned are Jonathan's projects e.g railways, tsa, bvn, fertiliser revolution, npower e.t.c in fact 90% of the arms still used by military today were bought by jonathan. Until nigerians begin to educate themselves on political shenanigans they will keep on voting in the wrong people...
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by syntekelite(m): 1:15pm On Oct 16, 2023
dexmond:
Nigerians should ask the government the following questions:

1. What happened to all the dollars that come into the country via crude oil sales? How does CBN handle it for the government?

2. When the formost economist Mr Boyo was alive, he spoke about how activities in the parallel market gets very active during FAAC allocation. These spike in the parallel market activities were usually driven by wholesale demand for dollar by politicians. The question is, what do politicians do with the dollars if not to store in Septic tanks or send it to offshore account.There should be a complete ban on BDC operations.

Nigerians should be asking these lines of questions.

Bdc's are owned by the elites esp the northern oligarchs reason why its been hard to cancel them, emefiele worked for them reason why dollars was scarce throughout buhari's tenure and since emefiele worked for buhari your guess is as good as mine who stood to benefit from all buhari's forex policies.. why do you think emefiele and buhari banned crypto? The majority of citizens the bdc's depend on to trade in dollars have adopted crypto, bdc's were becoming obsolete and also dangerous to the citizens cos of the insecurity and police wahala involved..i personally hvent been to bdc in 8years unlike previously...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Naira Set To Rise Further This Week / Naira Dramatically Recovers To N405/$1 After MPC Decisions / Ibukun Awosika Visits Governor Amosun (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.