Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,698 members, 7,820,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation (869 Views)

Rice Millers Hail Ebonyi Governor's Ban On Rice Scaling As Price Crashes To ₦15K / New Naira: Falana Knocks CBN For Disobeying Supreme Court Order / Border Closure: Nigeria Rejects Vietnam’s Rice Importation Plea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 12:46pm On Oct 19, 2023
A large-scale rice farmer in northern Nigeria has backed the decision of the Central Bank of Nigeria to lift the Forex ban on the importation of rice.

He said the lifting of the Forex ban will break the monopoly of the processing and marketing of the grain by local millers.

Alhaji Hassan Yaro, who grows rice in Kano, Jigawa and Borno states, is the Chairman of the Kano Council of Traders and Entrepreneurs.

The PUNCH reports the Central Bank of Nigeria lifted the foreign exchange restrictions it placed on importers of rice and 42 other items eight years ago.

Alhaji Yaro, who spoke to our correspondent while inspecting one of his rice farms Wednesday at Zabarmari, in the outskirts of Maiduguri, praised the President Bola Tinubu administration for the lifting of the ban, believing that it would flood the market with the grain and slash its price to an affordable rate for the common man.

“I could remember, rice millers reached an agreement in 2014 with the then President Buhari in Africa House, Kano, when he was campaigning for re-election, to process enough of the grain for the country at an affordable price,” he recalled in a chat with The PUNCH, alleging, “They even received a huge amount of money from the CBN to ensure this.”

Yaro stated, “For whatever reason known, perhaps, only to the local millers, the grain, instead of flooding the markets at prices affordable to the ordinary Nigerian, went beyond the reach of most Nigerians in terms of both availability and affordability up to last week when the Forex ban was lifted.”

Alleging that most rice millers do not mean well for the country, he vowed to mobilise as many farmers of the grain as he can across the country to upscale the traditional milling method and pursue wavers for the importation of affordable milling machines from China, should the local millers attempt sabotaging the Tinubu administration on this.

https://punchng.com/farmer-hails-cbn-for-lifting-forex-ban-on-rice-importation/?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by FreeStuffsNG: 12:53pm On Oct 19, 2023
Yaro stated, “For whatever reason known, perhaps, only to the local millers, the grain, instead of flooding the markets at prices affordable to the ordinary Nigerian, went beyond the reach of most Nigerians in terms of both availability and affordability up to last week when the Forex ban was lifted.”

Alleging that most rice millers do not mean well for the country, he vowed to mobilise as many farmers of the grain as he can across the country to upscale the traditional milling method and pursue wavers for the importation of affordable milling machines from China, should the local millers attempt sabotaging the Tinubu administration on this.

This is a patriotic and honest Nigerian. President Muhammadu Buhari meant well and genuinely empowered the indigenous producers and they made huge profits running into trillions yet these people were never satisfied.
They went from being millionaires in Nigeria to becoming Billionaires in US dollars and still don't want to stop. Imagine the disappointing case of cement prices that despite the protectionist policy to favour local producers, the local producers jerked up the price and became the highest cement profit manufacturers in the world!

This CBN policy reversal is not enough. They must probe all the local manufacturers the PMB era policies favoured and punish those who are culpable. This sabotage and those individuals and organisations that sabotaged the good policy must not be left unpunished.

They must be investigated, apprehended and prosecuted. Each of them in all the sectors! Check my signature for free stuffs!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by CodeTemplar: 1:27pm On Oct 19, 2023
Keep shut there freestuffng.

What about bandits levying farmers before harvest?
What happened to those? Your darling daddy gave them the perfect excuse to inflate prices so keep your Tinubu propaganda to yourself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 4:48pm On Oct 19, 2023
CodeTemplar:

What happened to those? Your darling daddy gave them the perfect excuse to inflate prices so keep your Tinubu propaganda to yourself.
Even though you're right about bandits levying some farmers before harvest, majority of them are not affected

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 4:51pm On Oct 19, 2023
The Buhari administration spent billions of naira on farmers, especially the ones planting rice, there's very little result to show for all the money spent.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by kokoA(m): 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2023
CodeTemplar:

Bandits only operate in a few states in the northwest, how does that affect the entire rice production in Nigeria?
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by CodeTemplar: 4:55pm On Oct 19, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Even though you're right about bandits levying some farmers before harvest, majority of them are not affected
those affected and those not belong to same unions and groups but can't donate to the affected so everyone has to increase prices.
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by OneCandleAway(f): 4:56pm On Oct 19, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
The Buhari administration spent billions of naira on farmers, especially the ones planting rice, there's very little result to show for all the money spent.

I'm not even sure we have comparative advantage in rice production.
And insecurity is one of the factors you consider.
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 10:21pm On Oct 19, 2023
OneCandleAway:

And insecurity is one of the factors you consider.
Buhari had a good plan for rice farmers, but corruption and insecurity ruined everything.
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 10:22pm On Oct 19, 2023
OneCandleAway:

We don't
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ozommadu: 11:37pm On Oct 19, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

Same buhari govt that you worshiped day and night for 8 wasted years?? Oya deny it

Double faced
🤡
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by BoldBrainz(m): 12:17am On Oct 20, 2023
Buhari was not the President in 2014.

Either there was an error in this reportage or this news is a fabrication.
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Chinjo2: 3:32am On Oct 20, 2023
APC please tell Nigerians the whereabout of the rice pyramid
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 6:02am On Oct 20, 2023
Ozommadu:

Same buhari govt that you worshiped day and night for 8 wasted years?? Oya deny it

Double faced
🤡
Are you drunk or you're just stupid?

Person no fit have a conversation on this nairaland again. Fraustrated people like you go just dey talk rubbish from the hellhole you're in.
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by press9jatv: 6:05am On Oct 20, 2023
By November, the dollar rate will reach #2k per dollar 💵 in the black market. Saved my response here
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ozommadu: 7:50am On Oct 20, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Are you drunk or you're just stupid?

Person no fit have a conversation on this nairaland again. Fraustrated people like you go just dey talk rubbish from the hellhole you're in.

This your kind of senseless conversation with insults...if I give it back to you you'll start crying to the mods.

Worship your failed ebola silently
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 8:46am On Oct 20, 2023
Ozommadu:

This your kind of senseless conversation with insults...if I give it back to you you'll start crying to the mods.

Worship your failed ebola silently
Give it back to me nah 🐖

You wrote a very stupid comment.
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ozommadu: 11:00am On Oct 20, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Give it back to me nah 🐖

You wrote a very stupid comment.

Na you be 🐖

Slum dweller
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 11:19am On Oct 20, 2023
Ozommadu:

Slum dweller
do you think I live in Onitsha? grin
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ozommadu: 11:22am On Oct 20, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
do you think I live in Onitsha? grin

Onitsha is far far better than most places in lagos, far^3 better than slummy ibadam.

Far^10 better than the rest of your slummy states capital.
Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 12:15pm On Oct 20, 2023
Ozommadu:

Onitsha is far far better than most places in lagos, far^3 better than slummy ibadam.

Far^10 better than the rest of your slummy states capital.
Do you think I live in onitsha? grin

Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ozommadu: 12:17pm On Oct 20, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

Do you think I live in ibadam

Atleast that onitsha pics is a refuse dumpsite nobody lives there

1 Like

Re: Farmer Hails CBN For Lifting Forex Ban On Rice Importation by Ikaeniyan0: 12:26pm On Oct 20, 2023
Ozommadu:

Do you think I live in ibadam

Atleast that onitsha pics is a refuse dumpsite nobody lives there

(1) (Reply)

How Long Will It Take Obi And Atiku To Congratulate The President? / If I Die, I Want To Be Remembered As Someone Killed For A Struggle-Fubara(Video) / Cowards Hiding In Tehran! There's A Bounty On Their Heads!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.