Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) (2673 Views)

Rufai Of Arisetv Don Scatter Table - INEC Chairman Is Now A Headless Chicken / ‘Headless Mob Killed Christ’: Soludo’s Easter Message Sparks Controversy / The Headless Hyenas Harassing The Southeast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by adesegun121(m): 6:39pm On Oct 25, 2023
This chicken was Beheaded by the owner in 1945 but only died in 1947.

It lived without head for almost 2 years and became the most famous bird in its time. It even went on tours and made a lot of money for the owner as more people wanted to see it.

Thousands of people believed it was a spiritual chicken despite the scientific explanations to its survival.

Here's the explanation:
The owner missed the jugular vein and a blood clot formed and prevented the chicken from bleeding to death.
Although its head was severed, most of its brain stem were left on the body. Basic functions like breathing, heart rate, etc as well as most of a chicken's reflex actions are controlled by the brain stem, so Mike The Headless Chicken was able to remain quite healthy for another 18 months without a Head.

Lesson: To The Scientific, Nothing is Terrific. When you understand the science of life, you will stop being superstitious.

Question: If you lived in 1940s, would you be among those who believed that the chicken had spiritual powers or would you be among those who understood the science of its survival?

Think!

Copied

lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by adesegun121(m): 6:39pm On Oct 25, 2023
Ok
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by 4KNGOATS(m): 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2023
Fiction

2 Likes

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Salewa97: 6:52pm On Oct 25, 2023
4KNGOATS:
Fiction

It is not fiction. It’s real.

15 Likes

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by GanagiBitrus: 6:53pm On Oct 25, 2023
Animal cruelty from the owner.
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Apus: 6:55pm On Oct 25, 2023
Salewa97:

I understand the scientific explanation above but how did it feed?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Urheadmaster(m): 7:05pm On Oct 25, 2023
Let agreed to disagree that it was a spiritual chicken tongue
Salewa97:

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Kosoco(m): 7:12pm On Oct 25, 2023
Apus:

my thoughts though

2 Likes

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Oblitz(m): 7:30pm On Oct 25, 2023
Apus:

Through tube
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Apus: 9:07pm On Oct 25, 2023
Oblitz:

Through tube

Na wa oo. Poor thing. Had a long life though for an average chicken.
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Usmanovic95(m): 9:30pm On Oct 25, 2023
What's the intention of the owner to get the head severed without killing it instantly. This has to be the cruelest experiment on animal ever.
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by jumper524(m): 11:10pm On Oct 25, 2023
na the issue of feeding I never understand.

2 Likes

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by OKOATA(m): 1:45am On Oct 26, 2023
How e con dey feed?
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Khd95(m): 2:46am On Oct 26, 2023
Apus:

and how did it not rot or decay from the cut

2 Likes

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by Isobug: 2:52am On Oct 26, 2023
Judgement day is here
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by CJStarz: 3:31am On Oct 26, 2023
Salewa97:

Then how did it feed?
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by acmev2(m): 4:11am On Oct 26, 2023
For real?

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by backtalkG(m): 5:50am On Oct 26, 2023
Is that how the headless mob looks like too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by pendusky(m): 6:28am On Oct 26, 2023
4KNGOATS:
Fiction

Even after the scientific explanation... You ought to be 1940s people grin
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by BUGOFF(m): 7:11am On Oct 26, 2023
Salewa97:

how did it feed? Remember, after it lost its head, there must have been a blood clot at the severed part. Let's be reasonable, please.
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by siofra(f): 7:27am On Oct 26, 2023
Wow! Larrycork, I've found a rare picture of you grin
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by yoruboid: 7:28am On Oct 26, 2023
OBIdients have been that way for 6 months

3 Likes

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by padi94(m): 7:30am On Oct 26, 2023
What Go cannot do does not exist
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by netpro(m): 7:38am On Oct 26, 2023
Apus:

Here. is what I saw elsewhere:

Olsen realized he had in Mike an attraction that others would pay to see and spent the next 18 months exhibiting the headless rooster at fairs, carnivals, and other public events. He fed Mike by dripping water and liquid food into his esophagus with a dropper and removed mucous from his throat with a syringe. Mike became so famous that even Time magazine wrote about him.

Mike died on March 17, 1947, while on tour in Phoenix, Arizona. Olsen and his wife, Clara, awoke in their hotel room to the sound of Mike choking on mucous. They searched for the syringe, only to realize that they had accidentally left it at the sideshow where Mike had been on display. Unable to suction the mucous from Mike’s throat, they could only look on as he suffocated.

Though his amazing story ended many decades ago, Mike the Headless Chicken has not been forgotten by the citizens of Fruita. Every year, the city hosts a festival in his honor, which draws hundreds of attendees from around the

1 Like

Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by LarryCork: 8:52am On Oct 26, 2023
siofra:

angry
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by LarryCork: 8:52am On Oct 26, 2023
siofra:

YOU VERY RUDE!!!! angry
Re: Mike The Headless Chicken (see Photo) by OKUCHI11(m): 11:38am On Oct 26, 2023
I've watched a documentary on it

(1) (Reply)

Yar'adua Picks Governor Jonathan Goodluck As Presidential Running Mate ! / Atiku Exposed •his Wealth, Career In Customs And Family / ICPC To Investigate Shekarau Over N420M Financial Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.