Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy (11605 Views)

Electricity Deficit: SEPLAT Says Nigerians Are Using 22 Million Generators / NTA Was Removed From Largest UK Cable Platform, Sky 2 Weeks Ago - Punch / NTA Removed From Largest UK Cable Platform: Sky (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 4:57pm On Oct 27, 2023
Rostikol:

Damn… If this is true, then we probably need to consider nuclear power plants. Those can ramp up power generation in a big way without costing the masses.
Yet think nuclear is free. It takes 6 yrs to build one nuclear plant
You funny
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 4:59pm On Oct 27, 2023
Cromagnon:
pls explain the gas electricity on demand.
You lay gas pipeline to industry areas anyone taps the gas get it metered and pay for the gas they use
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 5:01pm On Oct 27, 2023
Yujin:

No one needs to invent what has already been invented. Steady supply of Electricity is what we are talking about in this generation. It must come first before any country can dream of achieving industrialization in this era because every machinery runs on electricity. When it is cheaper and steady, it encourages more productivity, storage and transportation which leads to more exportation and greater profits. It equally makes the products to be cheaper.
I know you understand this but don't want to accept your earlier position was wrong.

Once the economy grows and the population benefit from this growth to rise up in their individual wealth status, they can be taxed more and electricity rates increased. You can't do these two to a poor population. It will lead you no where.
Every government owe the citizens a steady supply of electricity just like they owe them good roads and pipeborne water supply. This is just common sense.
govt doesn't owe you shit
If you like keep waiting for govt
You go suffer
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by waldigit: 5:08pm On Oct 27, 2023
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by eliyke(m): 5:11pm On Oct 27, 2023
Cromagnon:
what's their population
d person I quoted is talking about paying not population
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by eliyke(m): 5:16pm On Oct 27, 2023
Cromagnon:
what's their population
are u sure u read well before quoting,or u just rush to quote.he is talking about paying not population
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 5:36pm On Oct 27, 2023
mrvitalis:

Is there any law stopping any industry from having electricity?

Yes
Only Nepa can produce electricity
Everyone elseneeds license
I'm sure I don't need to tell you how difficult it is to get any license
Ordinary driver's license na war
Passport ,suffer
C of o na die

... There is no one in Nigeria that wants electricity and can pay for it that can't take it?

What we need is gas master plan so that everyone that needs it can generate cheap electricity
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 5:43pm On Oct 27, 2023
Cromagnon:

Yes
[b]Only Nepa can produce electricity
Everyone elseneeds license

I'm sure I don't need to tell you how difficult it is to get any license
Ordinary driver's license na war
Passport ,suffer
C of o na die

[/b]

@ bolded who gave you permission to use generator at home.... Abi that's not electricity?

Bros you only need license if you produce more than 1 think 5MW

Most industry don't need more than 0.5mw

If you need more than 5mw trust me getting permission would be the list of your problems
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Akano5(m): 7:10pm On Oct 27, 2023
iwaeda:

God bless you. Have people sat down to ask why people troop yo urban areas? When Okin biscuits, Noble Breweries, Okin foam, Demsco, Erinle paper converters, Afolayan garments, Buhari Oloto watch and so on. Many graduates return to work because of functional industries. grin grin grin grin grin

I just shake my head when I saw comments saying Electricity isn't our problem, they're blaming industries for not generating the electricity they consume...

Nigeria is among Opec but almost all Opec members are %100 electrified.

Nigerian politicians won't fix Nigeria, they just love to be seeing us suffer
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Akano5(m): 7:22pm On Oct 27, 2023
mrvitalis:

Bros are u saying your own thinking or facts ?

I dropped screenshot of industrial revolution and what lead to them

But nah you want to say your mind

Oga Nigeria don't lack electricity what we lack is commerical electricity

Access to electricity has been given to every Nigerian generate what you need

SMH
Is it the responsibility of the citizens to generate electricity? What's the essence of government existence in the first place.

Iran, Iraq and Isreal and many other countries have %100 access to electricity -- they took things very serious, they get everyone electrified without passing the responsibility to their citizens...
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2023
Akano5:

SMH
Is it the responsibility of the citizens to generate electricity? What's the essence of government existence in the first place.

Iran, Iraq and Isreal and many other countries have %100 access to electricity -- they took things very serious, they get everyone electrified without passing the responsibility to their citizens...
All those countries don't get electricity for free

Can Nigerians pay?
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Akano5(m): 7:45pm On Oct 27, 2023
mrvitalis:

All those countries don't get electricity for free

Can Nigerians pay?

Yes, why can't we pay... I'm using prepaid meter -- what's stopping them from metering everyone?

Those countries meters everyone with 24/7 monitoring incase something happen, almost all African countries are using this system but Nigeria? the case is different
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2023
Akano5:

Yes, why can't we pay... I'm using prepaid meter -- what's stopping them from metering everyone?

Those countries meters everyone with 24/7 monitoring incase something happen, almost all African countries are using this system but Nigeria? the case is different

Bros Discos are rejecting light because the would be at a loss because people don't pay

What exactly would change if we get 24 hours power
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Akano5(m): 8:24pm On Oct 27, 2023
mrvitalis:

Bros Discos are rejecting light because the would be at a loss because people don't pay

What exactly would change if we get 24 hours power

Now I understand who i'm quoting, you really need deliverance bro
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mickyeddi(m): 9:17pm On Oct 27, 2023
Zoo of a nation led by dumb senile bonobos!!
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by emmaodet: 9:52pm On Oct 27, 2023
mrvitalis:

Tell me what Nigerians would do with 24 hours light that they can't do now

Tell me 3

SMEs

I closed down my vegetable oil factory majorly due to power related issues.
For my milling machines to work, I need constant complete 3 phase lines to running the industrial machines.
Lack of it caused burning my electric motor, regular stopping and break to fix the power issue.
High cost of running biz because I have to buy diesel generator.
Occasional breakdown of generator - mechanic workmanship cost, spare parts cost after which it may not even work sef due to fake or incorrect spare part or incompetent mechanic all these causing regular financial loses untop say income no they enter and days run into weeks to bring back the factory to working level again.
Just pray you don't go into industrial processing that needs serious power to function.
A foam making factory in my place is near collapse because of power.
Anytime nepa takes light while they are on duty, whatever foam product they are producing currently in the machine becomes a waste and they have to clear the lines before resuming processing using expensive generator

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 9:58pm On Oct 27, 2023
emmaodet:

SMEs

I closed down my vegetable oil factory majorly due to power related issues.
For my milling machines to work, I need constant complete 3 phase lines to running the industrial machines.
Lack of it caused burning my electric motor, regular stopping and break to fix the power issue.
High cost of running biz because I have to buy diesel generator.
Occasional breakdown of generator - mechanic workmanship cost, spare parts cost after which it may not even work sef due to fake or incorrect spare part or incompetent mechanic all these causing regular financial loses untop say income no they enter and days run into weeks to bring back the factory to working level again.
Just pray you don't go into industrial processing that needs serious power to function.
A foam making factory in my place is near collapse because of power.
Anytime nepa takes light while they are on duty, whatever foam product they are producing currently in the machine becomes a waste and they have to clear the lines before resuming processing using expensive generator
Lol I own a factory oga my factory run on gen 100%

Bros you can't tell me power is upto 10% of your cost of production

You can by palm extracting machine, cracker and the rest but can't buy new gen 500k that would give u no problem for a year?

Oh please... You can't maintain gen but think you could have afforded the light bill?
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Yorubafonja: 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2023
mrvitalis:

You want electricity for free ? Who would buy the electricity ?
So u don't pay for ur prepaid meter?
As for me I recharge my own,so i don't know what u mean by Free
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 7:04pm On Oct 29, 2023
mrvitalis:

@ bolded who gave you permission to use generator at home.... Abi that's not electricity?

Bros you only need license if you produce more than 1 think 5MW

Most industry don't need more than 0.5mw

If you need more than 5mw trust me getting permission would be the list of your problems

It's 2 mw
The issue is most has turbine start at 1 mw and you need permit for that
You cannot run industry on 500kw diesel generator
It's not profitable
It has to run on gas

1mw turbine costs $500,000 (how many can afford this)
200mw turbine costs about $40million (less than 200K per megawatt aka cheaper per unit of megawatt) but how many ppl get that kind money besides dem dangote and bua?

Meeting these thresholds is the entry barrier we're facing
You go still arrange the industry to consume the power o
That's like 50x all those figures o

So from $25 million to $2billion (25 billion to 2 quadrillion Naira)
Plus wahala of license
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 7:07pm On Oct 29, 2023
Cromagnon:

It's 2 mw
The issue is most has turbine start at 1 mw and you need permit for that
You cannot run industry on 500kw diesel generator
It's not profitable
It has to run on gas
Which industry can't you run with 500k

Who told you even a 5kw cant run on gas?
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2023
mrvitalis:

Which industry can't you run with 500k

Who told you even a 5kw cant run on gas?
I'm not sure about the economics of combustion engine vs has turbine technology

Depends on how much gas reciprocating engines consume when converted

If you have any facts and figures on gas generators I'm interested in learning as we need solutions asap cos you see all these politicians no send us fa
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2023
Cromagnon:

I'm not sure about the economics of combustion engine vs has turbine technology

Depends on how much gas reciprocating engines consume when converted
CNG is 200 per kg sir
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2023
mrvitalis:

CNG is 200 per kg sir
how many kg will a 500kw generator consumer per hour or per day or per 8 hrs
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2023
Cromagnon:
how many kg will a 500kw generator consumer per hour or per day or per 8 hrs
200kg per hour Max... 8 hours 1.6 tons
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 7:34pm On Oct 29, 2023
mrvitalis:

So 320k per day
About 30 million a month
I dunno any factor costing that much that can recoup the investment
I'll have to run the numbers
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 7:50pm On Oct 29, 2023
[quote author=mrvitalis post=126685879]

I meant 10-11 million a month
Then add salaries and inventory
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 7:58pm On Oct 29, 2023
[quote author=Cromagnon post=126686321][/quote]
How much do you think the nepa bill would be if you consume 500kw for 8 hours for 25 days?

He would be in category A which us around 120kwh

500*8*25 *100 =12, 000,000 in light bill
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 8:00pm On Oct 29, 2023
Cromagnon:

So 320k per day
About 30 million a month
I dunno any factor costing that much that can recoup the investment
I'll have to run the numbers
Where you learn maths?
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 3:25pm On Oct 30, 2023
mrvitalis:

Where you learn maths?
Omo men my maths weak
No vex I don correct am
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 3:28pm On Oct 30, 2023
mrvitalis:

How much do you think the nepa bill would be if you consume 500kw for 8 hours for 25 days?

He would be in category A which us around 120kwh

500*8*25 *100 =12, 000,000 in light bill
where the 100 come from (my turn to question your math teacher)

But seriously if your 120 per kwh is correct then it's not bad o

Abeg you get link for the gas consumption, the 200kg per HR?
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by mrvitalis(m): 3:31pm On Oct 30, 2023
Cromagnon:
where the 100 come from (my turn to question your math teacher)

But seriously if your 120 per kwh is correct then it's not bad o

Abeg you get link for the gas consumption, the 200kg per HR?
It's actually 120 not 100 error from me
Re: Nigeria’s Electricity Deficit, World’s Largest -UK Envoy by Cromagnon: 9:18pm On Oct 30, 2023
mrvitalis:

It's actually 120 not 100 error from me
don't mind me
I figured
But if the price of gas and consumption rate is correct

But nna mehn how many business can afford 500kva gen plus the load on it(i approximate 25x the cost of the Gen)
That's not small money
Not sure if it can be scales down pro rata

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Orji Proposes ‘Institute Of Chartered Politicians’ / Photos Of The Luxurious Mansion Of GEN. BABAGINDA, That Has 50 Master Bedrooms / "Political Witch-hunt By EFCC": Kogi Govt Asks Tinubu To Order Special Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.