Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,787 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) (37349 Views)

What Is Your Favourite Nigerian Native Dish? (pictures) / What Is Your Favourite Nigerian Street Food? (pictures) / Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by rapcy(m): 8:12pm On Oct 28, 2023
mariahAngel:

Post without pictures no go make sense naa. smiley

We go like am like that... chaiiii, see food nahhh
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Evestar200(f): 8:56pm On Oct 28, 2023
OBTOREPA:

Then I'm going to use it to toast you.
I be toasted bread? grin
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by NOwazobia: 8:57pm On Oct 28, 2023
Burial Jollof rice.

That rice na 🔥 😋
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by obaidan: 8:59pm On Oct 28, 2023
Jollof is King
White rice - Bliss
Ofada rice - Overrated
Coconut Rice - Not necessary
Fried rice - Drama queen
Rice & Beans(cooked together) - Most Underrated

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Munzy14(m): 8:59pm On Oct 28, 2023
mariahAngel:
2. Ofada rice.😌
E.K gwuru...🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by remsonik(f): 9:19pm On Oct 28, 2023
Fried rice, ofada rice,rice and beans is my best food

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by sallazlee(m): 9:22pm On Oct 28, 2023
Deeprooted:
Eating rice without beans should be declared a criminal offense!
You mail it guy.
It going to be as person they eat plastic
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 9:30pm On Oct 28, 2023
illicit:
I like rice but my favorite type of food is swallow

🤸

What the heck is Swallow?

Either you love eba, or fufu, or tuwo shinkafa, or amala ati ewedu, or semovita or pounded yam etc.

Swallow as a noun is the name of a bird.

No be everything una go anglicise!

Go to the dictionary and you'll find various native names from different cultures preserved into the English language.
Our own na to dey form rubbish accent on top everything.

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by DaChosenOne: 10:00pm On Oct 28, 2023
Fried rice.

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by 1Sharon(f): 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2023
And just like that, I'm craving fried rice.

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by ellizy(m): 10:30pm On Oct 28, 2023
mariahAngel:
2. Ofada rice.😌
This is what we're talking about
This is making me hungry right now

God son

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by calabaman(m): 6:09am On Oct 29, 2023
OP......you will make heaven.

What a post to login and see.

Now I am super hungry.

2 Likes

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Iqtest: 7:06am On Oct 29, 2023
1, 3 and 5

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Swiftgrp: 11:12am On Oct 29, 2023
mariahAngel:
4. Jollof rice.
That smokey party jollof rice and fried rice flavors. Cowabunga. wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by dammysholove(m): 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2023
raskymonojendor:
Ofada rice and ayamase stew comes top.

Party/smokey Jollof comes second.

I had a mini party recently, and everyone at the party (Edo, Igbos, and yorubas) went straight for the ofada rice and ayamase.

U be from Ikenne ?
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by OBTOREPA(m): 4:37pm On Oct 29, 2023
Evestar200:
I be toasted bread? grin
Lol,
I like you and will love to know you better if you wouldn't mind.
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Evestar200(f): 5:23pm On Oct 29, 2023
OBTOREPA:

Lol,
I like you and will love to know you better if you wouldn't mind.
So that you go turn me to Toasted bread? grin grin
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Emdebby2: 5:32pm On Oct 29, 2023
Banga rice
Rice and beans
Fried rice

1 Like

Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by chrisj2(m): 6:20pm On Oct 29, 2023
The one in last position is actually the one people crow about the most. Jollof Rice is just seasoned rice - no better than concoction rice.
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 6:37pm On Oct 29, 2023
chrisj2:
The one in last position is actually the one people crow about the most. Jollof Rice is just seasoned rice - no better than concoction rice.

No, it's not.
Ingredients for making real jollof are rich, and aren't cheap.
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by OBTOREPA(m): 6:43pm On Oct 29, 2023
Evestar200:
No I'll not.
Even if I do,then is the bread of the heart 🫂
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by achimendy(m): 8:17pm On Oct 29, 2023
mariahAngel:
Hola foodies!!!👋🏼
It's another beautiful ☀️ny weekend.

We all love rice, right? I mean, who doesn't? 🤷🏽‍♀️
The weekend is for rice, and like play like play, we have quite a number of delicious rice dishes to choose from.
And I'm sure the ones below are not all there is.

So, which of these Nigerian rice dishes is your favourite?
Kindly hit like on the one(s) you like.👍🏼

Pictures' source: Instagram

I dont have favourite, I eat anything call rice.
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by OBTOREPA(m): 9:09pm On Oct 29, 2023
Evestar200:
Moreover if you are a toasted bread 🥪, I will eat you every day you know. 😄
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by MisterKennedy(m): 12:18am On Oct 30, 2023
Evestar200:
You see this Banga Rice, I nor dey play with am, especially with beans and Assorted meat
Eve please teach me how to cook this banga rice, beans and assorted meat.
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Evestar200(f): 10:22am On Oct 31, 2023
OBTOREPA:

No I'll not.
Even if I do,then is the bread of the heart 🫂
lol

I hear you
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Evestar200(f): 11:12am On Oct 31, 2023
MisterKennedy:

Eve please teach me how to cook this banga rice, beans and assorted meat.
Do you know how to pound Banga?
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by MisterKennedy(m): 11:45am On Oct 31, 2023
Evestar200:
Do you know how to pound Banga?

No ooo... But you'll teach me... I want to learn from you Eve... You're my mentor.
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Evestar200(f): 4:35pm On Oct 31, 2023
MisterKennedy:

No ooo... But you'll teach me... I want to learn from you Eve... You're my mentor.
How will I teach you now and how am I your mentor?😂😂😂
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by MisterKennedy(m): 9:04am On Nov 01, 2023
Evestar200:
How will I teach you now and how am I your mentor?😂😂😂
Eve please could we talk off nairaland? I'll really love to have your WhatsApp number. I'll like to have you as my friend on WhatsApp or any of your social media... Please Can I send you my WhatsApp number?
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Evestar200(f): 8:05pm On Nov 01, 2023
MisterKennedy:

Eve please could we talk off nairaland? I'll really love to have your WhatsApp number. I'll like to have you as my friend on WhatsApp or any of your social media... Please Can I send you my WhatsApp number?
sad sad
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by Probz(m): 11:40pm On Nov 01, 2023
I know this isn’t really an answer to the thread but just to put it out there I hate this culture of people sharing tips for how to cook the best jollof rice. A bit of that’s definitely needed so we can all be on the same general ballpark when it comes to having some general idea and some standardised tips to work with but most of the time it’s just the same recycled points that the Internet’s been vocal about from 2014 (“please you’re not going to add a lot of water, you’re going to let it steam, cover it with foil for extra steaming, fry your tomato paste well, add plenty curry oo, let it burn a little to give that bottom-pot taste”). We know, and there are more unique ways to cook jollof. People who really know what they’re doing when it comes to jollof rice tend to just get on with it or keep it relative secret that only the people who are with them when they’re cooking can get initiated with, which is partly why try as you might your jollof rice can hardly ever taste exactly like auntie Nkechi’s/Bisi’s, your mum’s best or iya-olopo so-and-so’s. And there’s a billion and one different ways to cook the same thing anyway, partly because it’s such an individual thing, so the taste depends on the very person themselves (which is a good thing), to the extent that sometimes you can almost taste their personality through the rice. Jollof rice (not just because of all its variations and traditional precursors, like jollof coconut rice and native red palm oil rice, seafood jollof, banga rice, which are all amazing, but because it’s a unique as well as generalised food just in itself) is just as much an individual thing as it is a general thing and we mustn’t forget that. Someone’s essentially giving you a bit of them when you eat their jollof rice and general rules or no general rules that individuality remains. The people who are willing to share their personal individualities when it comes to cooking jollof (if it’s not too personal to them) make for more colourful and interesting tip-imparters than the general slew of “rice must burn lass-lass, please you’re going to use plenty of de Rica and tatashe, you’re going to stir with wooden spoon and use low to medium heat” reh-te-te … ers. It’s old news, it’s boring now and it’s not giving people any unique cooking tips that they might want to try out for themselves beyond just getting certain standardised basics right. It actually kind of annoys me.

Adding liquid smoke to rice might not make the rice smokey in the way we might envision (whenever I’ve done it it’s just given this mechanical barbecue-y flavour that I’ve never liked) but at least that was something new and original. Roasting the peppers and stuff and then boiling them before blending is another example of how to up the originality game (some of us figured it out long before people started talking about it online and were freshly experimenting with it as recently as 2017/18). So’s using a blend of ehuru, a touch of crayfish and fennel seeds + maybe some goose fat (etc.). A mixture of turkey/torotoro, duck, venison, shaki, kpomo and oxtail, maybe (basically not being afraid to tap into meats beyond the bog-standard chicken and beef, because ultimately there are better-tasting meats and turkey jollof for one bangs). Boiling ukwa and corn in the meat broth before using it to cook the rice. Using African Breadfruit (ukwa) tree or oha/ora/uha (camwood/African rosewood)-tree (if that’s a thing)/udala-agbalumo apple-tree firewood for smoking and ukwa oil for toasting rice/frying the stew before the main jollof cooking. Marinating the turkey and plantain with maple sugar and seeing what kind of taste that gives. Doing it with chicken breast chunks, liver and bleached palm oil. A bit of barely perceptible St Helens influence finally lending its way to clear recipe-articulation, maybe with just a little touch of MSG and a dollop of Italian passata. Going into the wilderness to find that golden strain of Canadian goose to boil alongside okporoko so that you know you’ve got a sturdy base for your concoction rice. Managing to turn leftover oha soup into jollof rice (some people do). Finding out whether just a touch of pure Uyo crayfish fits jollof rice (with plenty of tatashe) as much as concoction/native rice or if it’s a bit strong and a crayfish more for the native dishes. Or just having a really cool recipe you swear by that you don’t mind sharing and isn’t just a “look at how my liquid is at nearly the same level as the rice, and this thing still go burn oo” rehash. That’s the level of innovation and grounded creativity I want Nigerians to get to one day when it comes to how we think about jollof rice if they want to brainstorm forward hacks and stuff. Foil paper and only adding a certain amount of liquid so the rice doesn’t become soggy (letting the liquid:rice ratio be proportionate is fundamentally just common sense if we’re being honest) and frying the tomato well-well (and all these other tips that every other Insta.-forming chef promises to make the sweetest jollof) is just old repetitive ground at this point and we should be moving on from the repetition. Jollof’s too special for that.
Re: Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) by OBTOREPA(m): 5:23pm On Nov 05, 2023
Evestar200:
lol

I hear you
Please give me your digit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Hunter Caught A Big Snake This Morning (photos) / Which Food Can #1,000 Cook That Will Last For 3days? / 5 Surprising Risks Of Beans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.