Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Has AI finally come for our jobs? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Has AI finally come for our jobs? (631 Views)

How Has AI affected You As A Freelancer / Bing Now Has AI Features From Chatgpt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has AI finally come for our jobs? by YoobaNesan: 4:34pm On Oct 30, 2023
It's clear to everyone that the gragra of our Tech Bros on twitter and every media platform has subsided, all thanks to AI.

Even here on Nairaland, you hardly see good software/programming post again.

This isnt to mock or deride anyone, but stating the reality on ground.

What's the way forward?
@mukina2, qtguru, tensazangetsu, et al
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by LikeAking: 5:15pm On Oct 30, 2023
YoobaNesan:

@mukina2, qtguru, tensazangetsu, et al

Not like that..

Ai never mature reach that state..

It’s just that the noise has to stop..

Those tech bros are mostly influencers, most are just tech marketers cashing in on the newbies..

Imagine some useless companies like Alt sch Africa training thousands of people without giving them jobs, just for clout and investors money..

Na the tech bros and influencers cash our las, las.. The people them train are still jobless, so nothing to use catch people agian.

Nigeria love to spoil everything..
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by qtguru(m): 5:16pm On Oct 30, 2023
Ai helped me alot. I only turn it off when it comes to Algorithm, but it helps with code and content generation, I've accepted defeat, the content the AI generates is so good, that I now test my thoughts against the AI and work off that and improve.

AI hasn't stolen any job, it has just eliminated the redundant ones, AI still can't generate efficient code, Copilot is not even 100% accurate , it sometimes generate code that fail, it makes alot of heavy assumption, but it's good for devs who don't want to write boilerplate code.

1 Like

Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by LikeAking: 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2023
All those tech bros and sis are just tech people, making noise…

Noise!

Real tech bros like @seun no Dey even make noise about tech..

The noise has to stop..

Remote jobs no Dey.

Up work and co don cast.. Especially upwork and their greed..

Too many freelancing companies now..

U go confuse..
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by strictly4data: 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2023
Well, AI hasn't come to take our jobs. It only help us make our work faster. As for beginners who's just trying to learn how to code, pls do not engage your learning with AI. You will miss the whole foundation. And that's the main thing you need in your career.. At some point, the AI will generate wrong code and results for you. If you aren't fit yourself, it will throw you off balance.

In all, AI has come to stay and it didn't come for the purpose to take our job... Recruiter hire humans and not robots.
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by DyingFetus: 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2023
LikeAking:

Noise!

The noise has to stop..

Remote jobs no Dey.

U go confuse..

Seun is not a tech bro

He's not even a programmer

2 Likes

Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by qtguru(m): 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2023
LikeAking:

Noise!

The noise has to stop..

Remote jobs no Dey.

U go confuse..

It's everywhere but it's harder in Nigeria, outside the country like US is easier, especially for contract jobs, US policies forbid companies now outsourcing to EMEA, unless some South american country and others. Upwork is still a good avenue to earn. I can earn more than my salary on Upwork if not for the country's reputation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by DyingFetus: 5:25pm On Oct 30, 2023
AI is just a tool nothing more
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by LikeAking: 5:28pm On Oct 30, 2023
qtguru:

It's everywhere but it's harder in Nigeria, outside the country like US is easier, especially for contract jobs, US policies forbid companies now outsourcing to EMEA, unless some South american country and others. Upwork is still a good avenue to earn. I can earn more than my salary on Upwork if not for the country reputation.

Upwork?

We you go buy Wetin with money..

Still bid for top 3 with money?

It’s a crazy place to me..
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by qtguru(m): 5:31pm On Oct 30, 2023
LikeAking:

Upwork?

We you go buy Wetin with money..

Still bid for top 3 with money?

It’s a crazy place to me..

I agree it's a crazy place, LinkedIn is hard, especially when you are in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by Adonisty: 11:04pm On Oct 30, 2023
qtguru:

I agree it's a crazy place, LinkedIn is hard, especially when you are in Nigeria.
what's the way forward for those trying to break into the industry?
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by jesmond3945: 11:19pm On Oct 30, 2023
qtguru:
Ai helped me alot. I only turn it off when it comes to Algorithm, but it helps with code and content generation, I've accepted defeat, the content the AI generates is so good, that I now test my thoughts against the AI and work off that and improve.

AI hasn't stolen any job, it has just eliminated the redundant ones, AI still can't generate efficient code, Copilot is not even 100% accurate , it sometimes generate code that fail, it makes alot of heavy assumption, but it's good for devs who don't want to write boilerplate code.
have you tried gpt4 with 2023 training date? You go bow
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by jesmond3945: 11:22pm On Oct 30, 2023
strictly4data:
Well, AI hasn't come to take our jobs. It only help us make our work faster. As for beginners who's just trying to learn how to code, pls do not engage your learning with AI. You will miss the whole foundation. And that's the main thing you need in your career.. At some point, the AI will generate wrong code and results for you. If you aren't fit yourself, it will throw you off balance.

In all, AI has come to stay and it didn't come for the purpose to take our job... Recruiter hire humans and not robots.
Have you tried gpt 4 with dalle and advanced coding interpreter? You go bow. Dalle dey produce image like water. Good for front end.
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by jesmond3945: 11:23pm On Oct 30, 2023
Adonisty:

what's the way forward for those trying to break into the industry?
start up
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by Adonisty: 12:13am On Oct 31, 2023
jesmond3945:
start up
hmmn..come fund me
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by YoobaNesan: 6:07pm On Oct 31, 2023
@nifpmod, push this to front page.
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by Babygeek(f): 12:30pm On Nov 01, 2023
qtguru:

Hi. Please what advice would you give someone just starting out? I Just started with CSS. But there seems to be complain of getting lay off or not getting job after applying for 100s of jobs. Keep seeing stuff like this on Twitter, Reddit even Youtube. And I was even thinking the front end route, apparently that one is even more Saturated.
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by qtguru(m): 12:51pm On Nov 01, 2023
Babygeek:

Hi. Please what advice would you give someone just starting out? I Just started with CSS. But there seems to be complain of getting lay off or not getting job after applying for 100s of jobs. Keep seeing stuff like this on Twitter, Reddit even Youtube. And I was even thinking the front end route, apparently that one is even more Saturated.

Jobs are hard, even much harder when applying from Nigeria. I'd advise to pick a niche skills that's not programming related, it's tough out here, it's when you're outside the country that you might find hope.

I hope this helped

1 Like

Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by Babygeek(f): 1:26pm On Nov 01, 2023
qtguru:

Jobs are hard, even much harder when applying from Nigeria. I'd advise to pick a niche skills that's not programming related, it's tough out here, it's when you're outside the country that you might find hope.

I hope this helped

Thanks for replying. Please what kind of niche skills would you advice someone to go for..I am through with my Bsc, and I have lots of free time.. I even had to pay a frontend guy to mentor me. At least to accelerate my learning pace and someone I can ask questions when I'm Stuck.. He keeps assuring me their are a lots of job in Tech esp for a female angry Somehow, few days ago while going through programming groups on Facebook, Saw my mentor complaining about how it has been hard to get jobs from Nigeria undecided

3 Likes

Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by qtguru(m): 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2023
Babygeek:

Thanks for replying. Please what kind of niche skills would you advice someone to go for..I am through with my Bsc, and I have lots of free time.. I even had to pay a frontend guy to mentor me. At least to accelerate my learning pace and someone I can ask questions when I'm Stuck.. He keeps assuring me their are a lots of job in Tech esp for a female angry Somehow, few days ago while going through programming groups on Facebook, Saw my mentor complaining about how it has been hard to get jobs from Nigeria undecided

If you can learn tools like Monday.com, Virtual assistance, because coding is clogged, but I will advise following tiktok and searching for 2023 freelance skills, it will give some ideas about how to move.

2 Likes

Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by tosinhtml: 7:06pm On Nov 01, 2023
Babygeek:

haha! Sorry for the laugh, but there are actually lots of jobs for women.

The programming sector for women is still understaffed & many companies want a mixture of men & women. So far in my experience, every team i worked usually has just 1 or 2 women that are programmers. In my last company of about 50 devs, we had 2 women & 2 of them were Tech Leads and from America.

Programming is hard o, I can't lie and that's why some babes run from it but the ones who stay move up really quick because nobody is there to compete with you, men aren't really the competition because there are slots for men and women differently.

Diversity hires are taken very seriously in some companies.
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by Babygeek(f): 7:14pm On Nov 01, 2023
tosinhtml:

The programming sector for women is still understaffed & many companies want a mixture of men & women. So far in my experience, every team i worked usually has just 1 or 2 women that are programmers. In my last company of about 50 devs, we had 2 women & 2 of them were Tech Leads and from America.

Programming is hard o, I can't lie and that's why some babes run from it but the ones who stay move up really quick because nobody is there to compete with you, men aren't really the competition because there are slots for men and women differently.

You are free to laugh. I find it funny myself cheesy Thanks.
I will probably still stick around.
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by Babygeek(f): 7:15pm On Nov 01, 2023
qtguru:

If you can learn tools like Monday.com, Virtual assistance, because coding is clogged, but I will advise following tiktok and searching for 2023 freelance skills, it will give some ideas about how to move.
Thanks..
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by studyless123: 12:55am On Nov 02, 2023
tosinhtml:

You're right. We need more women in the IT space. Those who persevere rise. I encourage women to enter the IT field, it fosters a more diverse, innovative, and inclusive industry while providing them with rewarding and financially promising career opportunities.
@ Babygeek IT is broad so you got to find you niche. Right now there is demand for cybersecurity professionals and as Tosin said, you should be ready to put in the work.
Re: Has AI finally come for our jobs? by BlackhatMentor: 7:50am On Nov 02, 2023
DyingFetus:

Seun is not a tech bro

He's not even a programmer

Was shocked when I saw that lol.

Seun no doubt has programming knowledge. Have followed him during the early days of this forum and when his blog was active.

I don't think he's an elite programmer but he has some knowledge of it.

He's More of a guy who got lucky with a public available script.

(1) (Reply)

Why Did Paypal Wait To Enter Nigeria? / Create Window Phone Application Without Coding Skill / Is There A New Feature In Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.