Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,158 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) (529 Views)

Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Obiano Inspects Rice Irrigation At Ogbaru As Anambra Targets 600,000 MT Of Rice / Having Problems With Irrigation (centre Pivot, Furrow, Drip, Sprinkler, Spray Tu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 5:34pm On Oct 31, 2023
I have been practicing vertical farming for over a year now.

2 Likes

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by emillysmigael(f): 6:03pm On Oct 31, 2023
surrogatesng:
This is nice and laudable. What plant are those?

1 Like

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by AgubataAkokwa: 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2023
This is beautiful. With this method, every home should be able to save costs on vegetables they buy from the markets daily

1 Like

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by SETHARTHUR(m): 6:24pm On Oct 31, 2023
Weldon boss, but nah drum wey I dey fyn way to buy u waste lye diz?

1 Like

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2023
Waterleaf and some malabar spinach
emillysmigael:
This is nice and laudable. What plant are those?

1 Like

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by bassdow: 9:10pm On Oct 31, 2023
surrogatesng:
could this comfortably grow Ugu
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by bassdow: 9:10pm On Oct 31, 2023
bassdow:

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by bassdow: 9:11pm On Oct 31, 2023
[quote author=bassdow post=126724665][/quote]
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 11:05pm On Oct 31, 2023
Yes,but.

1) You will need to put stakes so it can climb easily.

2) Ugu needs good nutrient to grow and too many of them may start competing for nutrients with each other,so reduce the number of ugu plants per drum to.7-10

bassdow:

1 Like

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 11:08pm On Oct 31, 2023
Ever since i began my vertical garden.I have never bought vegetable in the market again

AgubataAkokwa:
This is beautiful. With this method, every home should be able to save costs on vegetables they buy from the markets daily

1 Like

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by Konquest: 8:43pm On Jan 16
surrogatesng:
Impressive.
Those 15 blue drums in the pictures must have cost a lot of money to acquire for the vertical farming.
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by Konquest: 8:44pm On Jan 16
surrogatesng:
Waterleaf and some malabar spinach
Nice.
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 8:47pm On Jan 16
Thank you.I am currently working on the best irrigation method for my vertical farm.I will update the thread once i am done.
Konquest:

Nice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by Konquest: 8:48pm On Jan 16
surrogatesng:
Ever since i began my vertical garden.I have never bought vegetable in the market again

That's the true spirit of innovative thinking. A significant number of folks in urban America, Canada and the UK are also into organic urban farming to exclusively supply their own food needs. Way to go!
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 8:49pm On Jan 16
I bought each drum for 8k.
Konquest:

Impressive.
Those 15 blue drums in the pictures must have cost a lot of money to acquire for the vertical farming.

1 Like

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by Konquest: 8:51pm On Jan 16
surrogatesng:
Thank you.I am currently working on the best irrigation method for my vertical farm.I will update the thread once i am done.
That's awesome, keep us updated on the goings-on.

Cheers!
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 10:38am On Jan 18
I have set up an experimental. DIY irrigation system for my vertical garden.It consist of a bucket with 4 taps around the base of the bucket that drips water slowly into the drum.

Hopefully,it should water my plants this dry season.I also planted spinach at the base where the water drips.Spinach thrives well with irrigation.

I will gladly welcome any suggestions on how i can improve on this.

If this irrigation technique proves successfull.I will apply it on the entire garden

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 6:44pm On Jan 18
Another technique i emloyed in watering my vertical garden is by using a hose to water each drum ensuring that water gets to the root of all the plants in the drum then covering the drum with a lid.

I believe by covering the drum with a lid will prevent or slow down water evaporation from the drum.

I will observe if there is water retention after seven days and keep this thread updated on my findings

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by bassdow: 9:10pm On Jan 18
surrogatesng:
Another technique i emloyed in watering my vertical garden is by using a hose to water each drum ensuring that water gets to the root of all the plants in the drum then covering the drum with a lid.

I believe by covering the drum with a lid will prevent or slow down water evaporation from the drum.

I will observe if there is water retention after seven days and keep this thread updated on my findings

becareful with this to avoid root rot.

Also the bucket should be covered and shielded from sunlight as the sun could heat up the water and you end up irrigating your soil with hot water.

Also, hopefully, you only allow the water drip during notSoSunnyDays else...
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 9:15pm On Jan 18
Thank you very much for your advice.I will use a lid to cover the bucket.

About the root rot in the drums if the lid is closed.It is experimental.The result will determine if i will continue with the technique or not.

Once again ,i appreciate your suggestions
bassdow:

becareful with this to avoid root rot.

Also the bucket should be covered and shielded from sunlight as the sun could heat up the water and you end up irrigating your soil with hot water.

Also, hopefully, you only allow the water drip during notSoSunnyDays else...
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by bassdow: 9:29pm On Jan 18
surrogatesng:
Thank you very much for your advice.I will use a lid to cover the bucket.

About the root rot in the drums if the lid is closed.It is experimental.The result will determine if i will continue with the technique or not.

Once again ,i appreciate your suggestions

No need of experiment - so long the rots are submerged in water, or the soil too moist over extended period of time, root rot must happen
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 9:35pm On Jan 18
The plants grow through side pockets on the drum which also aid aeration of the soil.

I am not expecting the soil to be wet but moist which will be ok.

I really don't know much how plants root work and this is my first time.

Thanks for your comment.I hope the soil in the drum does not remain wet
bassdow:

No need of experiment - so long the rots are submerged in water, or the soil too moist over extended period of time, root rot must happen
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 9:07pm On Feb 17
Update.

After covering the drum with lid,there was moisture retention but however the soil was very hot and affected the plants.

I then partially covered the drums with lid and left a little space at the top for heat to escape from the drum.Since then,the plants have been flourishinhg and doing well
surrogatesng:

The plants grow through side pockets on the drum which also aid aeration of the soil.

I am not expecting the soil to be wet but moist which will be ok.

I really don't know much how plants root work and this is my first time.

Thanks for your comment.I hope the soil in the drum does not remain wet
Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 9:09pm On Feb 17
Update.

After covering the drum with lid,there was moisture retention but however the soil was very hot and affected the plants.

I then partially covered the drums with lid and left a little space at the top for heat to escape from the drum.Since then,the plants have been flourishinhg and doing well

bassdow:

Re: VERTICAL GARDEN WITH IRRIGATION (UPDATED) by surrogatesng: 9:16pm On Feb 17
In this tinubulation era.Vegetable soup has been my best food (Waterltaf + Bitterleaf).My vertical garden is feeding my family.Thank God

(1) (Reply)

LASG To Start Conversion Of Water Plant To Fertiliser / Advice Me / We Buy Gallstones @ $11 Per Gram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.