Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,256 members, 7,811,716 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) (20093 Views)

THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? / Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) / Throwback: Your Favorite Bollywood Songs (Videos/Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Racoon(m): 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhO0836U3Dw?si=FavG8u84JrKiPQvF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rapYCWr770?si=2yKMUvMXEkc4lStU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhr5S2vHh58?si=9DBa-8quRqHcIVfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oqRutNLbo?si=yTEjv3xgKIYDBrgP
Masquerade is a classic worthy to mention 80s-90s TV series and later New Masquerade in early 2000s. It revolved around the lives of everyday people whose primary goal is to survive by any means available to them.

[b]Chief Zebrudaya alias 4.30 (Chike Okpala) who was a pompous half educated society champion who was highly respected upright man even with his occasional wrong grammar. Then there was his wife Ovularia (Lizzy Evoeme) another respected society figure who compliments her husband role as custodian of the norms.[/b]

And a certain Jegede Sokoya (Claudia Eke), a friend of Zebrudaya, and a millionaire Chief that is only interested in making money no matter the means. Nothing concerned him with society norms. He had his wives Apena (Christy Essien Igbokwe) and Ramota (Veronica Njoku) both wives who always advised him to stay away from trouble and live upright.

Jegede had his mischievious accomplice and thug Zaky (Tony Akposheri) whom he used to carry it his quests. Zaky was an uneducated smart street person who always hatched plans and sold such plans for Zaky's survival

And the duo of artisans, Gringory Akabuogu (James Iroha) and Davis Offor (Clarus) who just wanted to survive and always came in contact with Zebrudaya. Their quest leads them to mischevious means although Clarus was the more honest one, Gringory brings the mischief plans.

And then Natty (Romanus Amuta) whose only after gossiping and spreading fake news to achieve his own survival. His gossip escapades always got him into trouble.

Interesting to note is that the Masquerade was written and directed by James Iroha. Also the three Yoruba characters of Jegede, Apena and Ramota were played by Igbo actors.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02DCajjM7L39K4esBCZ33PdXfceCZTMAzVaPiqoY1GTuHn4a24wJongq3dDfsdsfmTl&id=100063572770774&post_id=100063572770774_pfbid02DCajjM7L39K4esBCZ33PdXfceCZTMAzVaPiqoY1GTuHn4a24wJongq3dDfsdsfmTl&mibextid=Nif5oz

Abeg indomie children una no go understand this one, the programme used to be aired on Tuesdays on NTA.

How many of you remember Chief Zebrudaya of the famous New Masquerade? Then you should remember his wife Ovuleria. Lizzy Evoeme also known as Ovuleria, is a veteran Nigerian actress who was active from 1982 to 1993 prior to the advent of Nollywood.....

Biography ❤️🇳🇬
Evoeme was born in 1942 in Calabar, Cross River State to a sea worker father. She was prominent in the Nigerian TV space as an actress from 1982 to 1993 prior to the advent of Nollywood. She was originally named Elizabeth which was later shortened to "Lizzy". She was known for her role as Ovuleria, the wife of no-nonsense TV character called Chief Zebrudaya Okoroigwe Nwogbo on the TV show, New Masquerade.

The programme which used to feature on Nigeria's national TV station, NTA, has over the years been stopped. She played the role of a petty trader, and an assertive but obedient woman who never disagreed or argued with her husband's decision no matter how many others disagreed with him.

She once explained that she never knew the meaning of her stage name "Ovuleria" Since her exit from TV glare, not much had been heard about Evoeme. At one time, death rumours on her were refuted. In 2020, she was recorgnised for her contributions to the entertainment industry...💯❤️🇳🇬
Taekwondohttps://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02XinkxxdVDxr8wvDCNBKwQp823YFx4TfKAukWFCmhgKrBvpcFohZL1vQ375UhrCDNl&id=100006797732871&post_id=100006797732871_pfbid02XinkxxdVDxr8wvDCNBKwQp823YFx4TfKAukWFCmhgKrBvpcFohZL1vQ375UhrCDNl&mibextid=Nif5oz

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Racoon(m): 1:14pm On Nov 01, 2023
Nostalgic show back then. My favourite funniest characters were Chief Zebrudaya( alias 4.30), Natty and Gregory.
nlfpmod Seun

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by wittywriter: 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2023
MEMORIES of a thrilling and in OPs words nostalgic cast with never ending edutainment.

FTC & HAPPY NEW MONTH DEDICATED TO ALL THE NAIRALANDERS THAT WATCHED Chief Zebrudia....alias 4:30 ...lol if you know you know.

Another comical actor was Natty
@Raccoon thumbs up for this lovely and exhilarating thread.
AngelicBeing:
l still recalled watching this program, nice TV Drama with jegede, kabiesi etc all the actors/ actresses on New masquerade were witty and wittylistic in their performances cheesy

Wittyness.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Racoon(m): 4:57pm On Nov 02, 2023
wittywriter:
MEMORIES of a thrilling and in OPs words nostalgic cast with never ending edutainment.
Welcome sir. Thank you. Nostalgic show I tell.

4 Likes

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Okiton: 7:28pm On Nov 10, 2023
cheesy
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by meum: 7:29pm On Nov 10, 2023
Lol

Ovuleria, Ramota, Gringory, Natty, Chief Zebrudaya himself😂

those good old days

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by ProminentProm: 7:29pm On Nov 10, 2023
Racoon:
Nostalgic show back then. My favourite funniest characters were Chief Zebrudaya( alias 4.30), Natty and Gregory.
nlfpmod Seun
good old days

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Jewessgratitud3: 7:29pm On Nov 10, 2023
Back then I didn't understand what they were saying. My mom and her sister will just be laughing kikikiki.. grin.

For Me its the sound track I liked (Edikwansa) and still like till today cos e dey remind me of my Dad. My dad had the record so he used to blast it back in the day and now when I hear it, I remember my dad (of blessed memory).

You just remind me something now. Make I play the song self.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Guyman01: 7:30pm On Nov 10, 2023
Since November 1 that this lovely thread was opened its just reaching FP today November 10 because all the Mods were busy with waiting for Reno Omokri to spew a new anti Igbo gibberish to be rushed to Front Page?
The Mods hired by Seun are to blame for this platform becoming the number one tribalists meeting point.

Meanwhile free advertisers no dey allow us see road here again, sometimes you see like 10 adverts in one front page kiss

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Ibrahimcoomasie: 7:30pm On Nov 10, 2023
I remember clearly.
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Raskimonojendor: 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2023
That was an era when Nigeria had good sopa operas. Samanja, New Masquerade, Village headmaster, Things fall apart, mind your language (Nigerian version) e.t.c.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by YourKarma: 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2023
this was back in the days when there was greater national cohesion, but now, because of their selfish interests, our useless politicians have widened the hatred amongst the tribes

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by N3TRAL: 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2023
Those were our Marvel movies, superman and Spiderman.

Today, we're culturally dead as people and left to celebrate the nomination of three individuals by the Grammy committee like it's the end of our perennial poverty as a country.

6 Likes

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Angelfrost(m): 7:32pm On Nov 10, 2023
New Masquerade... Comedy at its Finest!

My favorite characters were:

Chief Zebrudaya (4:30)
Chief Jegede Sokoya

3 Likes

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by mekuso89(m): 7:33pm On Nov 10, 2023
Mehn time flies
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Nahunger(m): 7:33pm On Nov 10, 2023
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by AngelicBeing: 7:34pm On Nov 10, 2023
wittywriter:

FTC & HAPPY NEW MONTH DEDICATED TO ALL THE NAIRALANDERS THAT WATCHED Chief Zebrudia....alias 4:30 ...lol if you know you know.

Another comical actor was Natty
@Raccoon thumbs up for this lovely and exhilarating thread.

Wittyness.
l still recalled watching this program, nice TV Drama with jegede, kabiesi etc all the actors/ actresses on New masquerade were witty and wittylistic in their performances cheesy
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by saphiere(f): 7:35pm On Nov 10, 2023
Racoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhO0836U3Dw?si=FavG8u84JrKiPQvF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rapYCWr770?si=2yKMUvMXEkc4lStU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhr5S2vHh58?si=9DBa-8quRqHcIVfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oqRutNLbo?si=yTEjv3xgKIYDBrgP

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02DCajjM7L39K4esBCZ33PdXfceCZTMAzVaPiqoY1GTuHn4a24wJongq3dDfsdsfmTl&id=100063572770774&post_id=100063572770774_pfbid02DCajjM7L39K4esBCZ33PdXfceCZTMAzVaPiqoY1GTuHn4a24wJongq3dDfsdsfmTl&mibextid=Nif5oz

Taekwondohttps://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02XinkxxdVDxr8wvDCNBKwQp823YFx4TfKAukWFCmhgKrBvpcFohZL1vQ375UhrCDNl&id=100006797732871&post_id=100006797732871_pfbid02XinkxxdVDxr8wvDCNBKwQp823YFx4TfKAukWFCmhgKrBvpcFohZL1vQ375UhrCDNl&mibextid=Nif5oz
When you do the right thing things will fall in place for you.

Checkout Davido. The moment he got married to Mrs Chef everything falls in place.
Twins
3 Grammies nominations
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Dshocker(m): 7:36pm On Nov 10, 2023
Some of them have died, while the ones alive are really old and weak...

Omo, God should please extend human life up to 200yrs 🤲

4 Likes

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by nairalee(m): 7:37pm On Nov 10, 2023
Life is funny. The 'NEW' Masquerade is now more or less the OLD masquerade

5 Likes

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Treasure17(m): 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2023
I can't relate.

1 Like

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by kingsways: 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2023
Oh

Sad the Jegede side of the show are all dead
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Treasure17(m): 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2023
Dshocker:
Some of them have died, while the ones alive are really old and weak...

Omo, God should please extend human life up to 200yrs 🤲
You know that's not happening. Even at 100 self.

1 Like

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by oneolajire(m): 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2023
When NTA was the only TV station

8 Likes

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by sacajawea: 7:43pm On Nov 10, 2023
Giringory...

2 Likes

Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by Rashduct4luv(m): 7:45pm On Nov 10, 2023
Soap is to bath while Opera mini is a browser!

So what is soap opera?
Re: Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) by zinaunreal(m): 7:46pm On Nov 10, 2023
Nobody cares

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guiness Advert: “My Friend Udeme” Vs “My Brother Femi” / 'Clinic Matters' Nigerian TV Comedy Series / Bbnaija: Amaka Issued A Strike For Microphone Infringement (video /photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.