Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,685 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans (8465 Views)

$51bn Foreign Debt: FG Rues Dwindling Revenue, Reps Condemn Needless Loans, / Tinubu Seeks Senate Approval Of $7.8bn, $100m 2022-2024 Borrowing Plan / Lagos State Has Highest Foreign Debt In The Country- DMO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Beautifulgirl(f): 2:10am On Nov 02, 2023
LAGOS — Nigeria’s foreign debt is expected to rise further to about $51 billion, following President Bola Tinubu’s request to the Senate, seeking approval to borrow additional $7.8 billion and  €100million, as part of  his 2022-2024 borrowing plan.

Some financial analysts have debunked the official reasons given for the borrowing, claiming it was rather meant as a bridging loan to cushion the country’s  current balance of payment crisis.

Nigeria’s foreign debt as at June 2023, was put at $43.2 billion, while domestic debt is put at N54.1 trillion, bringing public debt to N113.4 trillion.

With the presidential request for new borrowing, coupled with the depreciation of the naira, the total public debt is forecast to reach N130 trillion.

The President in a letter addressed to the Senate yesterday, explained that the request was anchored on an approval given by President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration, after a Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting early in May 2023.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio, read Tinubu’s request during plenary.

Tinubu’s letter reads: “The Senate may wish to note that the past administration approved the 2022 – 2024 borrowing plan at the Federal Executive Council which was held on the 15th day of May 2023.

“The projects cut across all sectors with specific emphasis on infrastructure, agriculture, health, education, water supply, security and employment as well as financial management reforms, among others.

“The facility of the projects and programmes under the borrowing plan is $7,864,508,559 dollars and then in Euro 100 million euros respectively.

“The Senate is invited to note that following the removal of fuel subsidy and its impact on the economy in the country, African Development Bank, AfDB, and the World Bank Group, WBG, have indicated interest to assist the country in mitigating the economic shores and recent reforms with a sum of $1 billion and $2 billion respectively, in addition to the Federal Executive Council approved 2022-2024 external borrowing plan.

“Consequently, the required approval is in the sum of $7,864,508,559 dollars and in terms of euro, 1000 million euros.

“I would like to underscore the fact that the projects and programmes borrowing plans were selected based on positive technical economic evaluations as well as the expected contribution to the social economic development of the country, including employment generation, skills acquisitions , supporting the emergence of more entrepreneurs, poverty reduction and food security to improve the livelihood of an average Nigerian.

“The projects and programmes will be implemented in all the 36 states of the federation and the federal capital territory “In view of the present economic realities facing the country, it has become imperative that the resolve to using the external borrowing to breach the financing gap which will be applied to key infrastructure projects including power, railway, health, among others.

“Given the nature of this facilities and the need to consolidate the country to normalcy, it has become exigent to request the Senate’s consideration and approval of the 2022- 2024 external borrowing plan to enable the government deliver its responsibilities to Nigerians through expeditious disbursement and efficient projects implementation.”

W/Bank commits $11bn to Nigeria in 3yrs

Meanwhile, the World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, Shubham Chaudhuri, yesterday, said the bank has committed over $11 billion in the past three years to Nigeria’s governments at both the federal and the sub-national levels.

Chaudhuri stated this while giving his goodwill message at the opening of a three-day cabinet retreat for ministers, presidential aides, permanent secretaries and top government functionaries, at the State House Conference Centre, Abuja.

Chaudhuri, assured President Tinubu of the bank’s support in his administration’s challenging task of lifting millions of Nigerians out of poverty and making lives better for everyone.

He said Nigeria is at a critical juncture to either continue muddling through business as usual with the risk of things falling apart or have the courage to chart a new course, to take bold steps to finally see Nigeria rise to its true potential.

He said, “I hope that through what we’ve been able to do that we will be able to continue supporting you, as you realize this enormously important task.

“Although we are at the World Bank, we’re a development organisation and over the last three and a half, four years that I’ve been here, our board has committed over $11 billion in financing for the government, and our financing is meant to go to governments at both the federal and at the sub national levels. So we’re here to support your programmes, we take guidance from you.  

“But even though we have the World Bank in our name, I hope you will think of us as more than a bank. I mean, I really hope that we will be able to earn your trust that we have something more to offer in the nature of solutions to help you think through and then implement the priorities, the focus areas that you’ve laid out by bringing in ideas and experience.

“Financing is only part of the solution. It’s really the ideas and the vision. So you have my commitment. I and the team, the entire World Bank across the globe, we’re here to support you on that. And I would also like to say that I feel particularly privileged to have been here in Nigeria these last four years, especially in the last few months at this critical juncture where Nigeria faced critical choice whether to continue muddling through business as usual with the risk of things falling apart growing by the day or have the courage to chart a new course, to take bold steps to really finally see Nigeria rise to its true potential.”

Chaudhuri, who commended President Tinubu’s bold steps since assumption of office, said: “Mr President from inaugural address, you made it very clear what your choice was. You’ve taken some incredibly bold steps, ones that very few leaders, if any, would have had the courage to chart this new course for Nigeria to provide that renewed hope. I think we all recognise how truly kind and remarkable that has been and that it has not been easy.  

“In these last few months, the economy, society, Nigerians have had to live through hard times. And Nigeria continues to be in a tender spot, but you stopped the hemorrhage. But now comes the time to rebuild and recover. Please count on us, there will still be some incredibly hard choices and decisions that you and your cabinet will need to make. Count on us to be there to help support you.”

The British High Commissioner, Richard Montgomery, on his part noted that  Nigeria faces big security, economic and social challenges.

Montgomery said: ”In a global context, the big challenges are difficult global economy, shifting geopolitical and foreign policy pressures. And as I said in public before, I applaud the big and bold economic reforms that you are taking forward. I admire your leadership of ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States), your strong voice on democracy, and your G-20 international engagement, all of which have thrust Nigeria back onto the international stage.”

He affirmed the United Kingdom’s renewed partnership with Nigeria, with President Tinubu’s cabinet and with the Nigerian people.

According to him, “Nigeria really matters to the UK. We share history, we share a commitment to democratic politics, we share interests in defence and security and trade and investment, which has strong people to people needs. The Nigerian diaspora creative industries, the sports stars are increasingly central to the UK national culture and life. And we also have strong mutual accountability, development agreements at the federal and the state level, on health, on education on job creation, and on government effectiveness.”

The British envoy noted that the High Commission has since 2019 had an excellent partnership with the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation. This is called the partnership to engage, reform and learn. The programme, he said largely handled by Nigerian experts have supported the impressive central coordinating and delivery unit for presidential priorities. 

Providing clarity of purpose

“We can only support the process, not the content that is your sovereign decision of government. But your eight priorities area under the renewed hope agenda, Mr. President, you provide a clarity of purpose.  

“Your policy advisory committees have identified plans, milestones and performance indicators that will be discussed at this retreat. And this cabinet retreat can start to use the SGS tracking system for good effect over the coming years to drive delivery to learn from challenges, and to move Nigeria forward.

“Mr. President, no doubt there are challenges ahead. This government has inherited big problems and a tough global context. These are difficult times and people are hurting. Expectations are high. Better delivery is desperately needed. But over my long association with Nigeria, and wherever I go in this great country, I have seen the resilience of Nigerians by their creative and can do attitude and by their entrepreneurial spirit. And   I’m optimistic that your Government, Mr. President, with ambition and clear plans, can remove the constraints on this entrepreneurial spirit and give a helping hand to those people that need it and help move Nigeria forward.

“So Mr. President, I’d like to recognize Nigeria as a growing regional and global powerhouse. You are likely to become the third largest country in the world by 2050. I applaud your plans to stabilise the economy and put it on a higher growth path to prosperity, on which so much else depends.

“The UK stands ready to support in the spirit of mutual respect. The UK stands ready to stand up on our partnerships across a range of areas. And I wish you and your government all best wishes and goodwill in your work ahead.”

Experts worried over debt profile

Meanwhile some financial experts have expressed worry over the latest borrowing round the FG plans to execute.

Speaking to Vanguard on  President Tinubu’s request for approval of additional loan from the Senate, David Adonri, analyst and Executive Vice Chairman at Highcap Securities Limited, said: “FGN has over-borrowed and it is also in a debt trap. This means that FGN requires new debt to finance government and meet debt repayment obligations. The situation is even more complicated now that Nigerian Letters of Credit are no longer honoured. This means that the economy requires an immediate bridging loan to address current balance of payment crisis. I don’t think the new borrowing is related to FGN’S 2022-2024 borrowing plan. It is to bridge current FX deficit and keep external credit lines open. This panic measure will only give temporary relief. What is needed urgently is for FGN to negotiate with creditors and reschedule outstanding trade and multilateral debts.”

Economy is seriously challenged on all fronts –  Olayinka

In his reaction, Tajudeen Olayinka, analyst and CEO, Wyoming Capital and Partners, said: “If we accept the fact that Nigeria’s economy is seriously challenged on all fronts and in a state of disequilibrium, then every effort by government to restore equilibrium at this time should be seen as a reactionary emergency. I think government is trying to improve dollar liquidity in the foreign exchange market, the same way they are trying to deal with myriad of economic problems left behind by former President Muhammadu Buhari: inadequate foreign reserves, humongous stock of public debt, extremely low oil revenue, unsustainable level of revenue to debt service ratio, poor purchasing power and mounting inflationary pressure, etc. So, in a way, additional borrowings to improve confidence in the economy might just be inevitable at this time.”

Continuing, he said: “My advice to government is to ensure they run a comprehensive adjustment programme that can restore equilibrium to the economy, using the right set of people with good knowledge of adjustment programme. I believe the current economic problem is temporary.”

Govt should rely on non-debt financing sources  – Prof Uwaleke

Commenting, Prof Uche Uwaleke, said: “What is the purpose of the loan? What are the terms? What is the source of repayment? These are some relevant questions the lawmakers should ask Mr President.

The government should stick to its promise of relying more on non-debt financing sources given the fact that the country is already in debt crisis.”

It will stabilise exchange rate, reduce further devaluation of naira  – Kurfi

Mallam Garba Kurfi, Managing Director/CEO, APT Securities and Fund, observed that the planned borrowing is good as it will stabilise the exchange rate market and reduce further devaluation of the Naira.

He opined that it is needed in order to meet the huge demand for FX.

His words:  “It is better late than never. This borrowing should be done before the unification into single exchange rate. This will stabilise the exchange market and reduce the devaluation of naira.

“We have no choice than to borrow in foreign exchange to meet up the huge demand of FX.”

He added there’s the need for government to ensure that more cruide oil is exported in order to earn more dollars. “There is need to look for other means to export other minerals and agricultural produce in order to earn more foreign exchange.  

“We also need to do those things that will attract more remittances from diaspora. Last year, diaspora remittances contributed more than $20 billion to the economy,” he said.

FG should discontinue plans to borrow-  Ubaka

Also commenting,  Johnny Ubaka, Secretary of Association of Concerned Freight Forwarders and Transporters, ACFF&T said: “The Federal Government has been charged to discontinue plans to borrow $7.8 billion and 100 million Euros but instead it should concentrate on improving the nation’s export volume as well as production capacity.

Speaking with Vanguard, Secretary of the association, Ubaka, said: “improving the nation’s export volume as well as production capacity, if sustained would help increase the country’s Gross Domestic Product, GDP.

On what alternative source of funds government can consider, Ubaka said that the government income has improved greatly since it started double taxation, especially in the maritime sector.

He said before now, import duty was N4 million but it has been hiked to N8 million. He further stated that with the volume of import that comes through the nation’s seaports, the revenue accruable would have also doubled.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/11/foreign-debt-to-top-51bn-as-tinubu-seeks-fresh-7-8bn-e100m-loans/

1 Like

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Deltafirstson(m): 2:11am On Nov 02, 2023
What is new here? Tinubu is only trying to Lagoslize Nigeria very quickly with its debt burden. Tinubu made Lagos the most-indebted state in Nigeria, with Delta coming in second and Ogun third most-indebted. Tinubu is only trying to do to Nigeria what he did to Lagos. Anyone who was expecting anything different from Tinubu—that person—is a fool. Anything Tinubu touches, he bruises asunder!

89 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by ican2020: 3:13am On Nov 02, 2023
What of money saved from subsidy removal

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Lordsonn: 3:17am On Nov 02, 2023
The government of borrowers by borrowers and for the borrowers.
Buhari's government is better than this one. Too bad NIGERIA fall to the hands of wrong people.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by fourboys: 4:09am On Nov 02, 2023
Too bad

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Smithkafors(m): 4:27am On Nov 02, 2023
The same thing they did in Lagos with boot show for it. People living in abject poverty left and right.

The praise singers that sang for Buhari has regrouped again to sing for Tinubu.

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Lovemeharder(f): 5:43am On Nov 02, 2023
Hmmmm... Loan everytime! angry

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by kingsways: 5:43am On Nov 02, 2023
See the difference between Obasanjo and these people

With a barrel of oil selling less than $30, Obasanjo went round the world, campaigned for debt relief , and eventually practically paid off all Nigeria's foreign debts.

Then these evil people came. They just keep borrowing, borrowing and borrowing. Borrowing to buy luxury cars, luxury boat, and build mansions for themselves

110 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by adesegun121(m): 5:43am On Nov 02, 2023
Ok ooo
Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by nony43(m): 5:45am On Nov 02, 2023
They go collect the loans share am or use am buy Yacht.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by delugajackson: 5:45am On Nov 02, 2023
Nigeria is finished. The future of our youths have been mortgaged. I thought this senseless borrowing ended with Buhari. Now Tinubu has taken us to another level with his borrowing spree. Shame on all who support this mad government.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Port443: 5:46am On Nov 02, 2023
Someone said that Tinubu didn't promise anyone good governance, that he only said it was his turn. That statement is true, and it pains me because he is currently representing the largely brilliant yoruba people and their slot.

He is ready to let everything that can go wrong to truly go wrong.

The leopard doesn't change its skin. We begged everyone to work together and ensure that this calamity doesn't come to power, but nope, jagaban must rule, even if he ruled over corpses.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by UselessBuharist: 5:46am On Nov 02, 2023
They have mortgage our country with their cluelessness. They come shouting and jumping all around as if they have something good to offer

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Agwotulumbe1: 5:47am On Nov 02, 2023
Seyi Tinubu smiling to the bank now
more dollars to lavish on ashawos

Hahahahahaha

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by morikee: 5:47am On Nov 02, 2023
We never see anything yet

25 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by tspun(m): 5:47am On Nov 02, 2023
Where are we going, who will pay all these debts,

I thought they said when they removed subsidy there will be enough money for government to carry out its activities, but right now its seems nothing have change

WHERE IS THE SUBSIDY MONEY GOING

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by sukkot: 5:47am On Nov 02, 2023
grin emile o corn onigbese

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Inosky(m): 5:48am On Nov 02, 2023

1 Like

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by EnterpriseMan: 5:49am On Nov 02, 2023
The BAT zombies always avoiding these kinds of topics like it's a plague

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Otulented: 5:51am On Nov 02, 2023
We never even start to the borrow loans self. Everyone go suffer am grin.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by DeathToRiggers: 5:51am On Nov 02, 2023
the Yorubas on the beat again, when it's appointment time, the sane Nigerians will take their country back from the batstards. Argue with me but we can't continue like this.

Seunmsg FreeStuffsNG Abdul05 drlateef AntiChristian duro4chang lhordspy Moh247 Ayamed

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Otulented: 5:53am On Nov 02, 2023
ican2020:

grin grin Thiefinubu came to dry Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by kingsways: 5:53am On Nov 02, 2023
Look at these evil people

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by stano2(m): 5:55am On Nov 02, 2023
Subsidy removal was a huge scam, for politicians and cronies to enrich themselves, while the masses suffer the consequences.

We keep taking loans upon loans, seeking grants upon grants with nothing to show for it.
What’s going on, is there an international community or countries holding us at ransom? Because i don’t know what the federal government does with this that the masses benefit from.

Cooking gas is expensive
Petrol is expensive
No jobs
Poor Roads
Poor healthcare

Country is just on autopilot, politicians recouping x100 the amount the spent on election campaigns and rigging/bribing.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by olaniyilukman(m): 5:56am On Nov 02, 2023
ican2020:
God bless you bro, you said exactly what is on my mind.....

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by Racoon(m): 5:56am On Nov 02, 2023
The so called phantom generated IGRs and fuel subsidy savings are no where to be seen. But so so loans, borrowings, and so much debt pillage but nothing benefits the common man yet bastards urchins are defending all these corruption, criminality and illegitimacy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by phorget(m): 5:57am On Nov 02, 2023
The only thing enjoyed by the masses was taken away from them when the claimed to stop paying subsidy.

7 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by gammarays(m): 5:57am On Nov 02, 2023
He said He'll continue where Buhari stopped
He's fulfilling his promise

16 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by kaludestiny10(m): 5:58am On Nov 02, 2023
They borrow to enrich the political elites while the poor masses are left to wallow in abject poverty.

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Debt To Top $51bn As Tinubu Seeks Fresh $7.8bn, €100m Loans by epainos: 6:01am On Nov 02, 2023
There is nothing bad in taking loans in times of crisis, but as long as the loans are embezzled like we have been seeing, Nigeria is going to go broke because creditors may take over our gas and oil. Maybe...I do not know.

The only way out is for all regions to form new nations the way I see it. Otherwise, my prayer will be answered. And my prayer is that Nigeria should go broke faster than expected so there won't be anything to loot again. All bad politicians will leave the government and move to their second nations. While good people will step in and start rebuilding. But such rebuilding should not be as Nigeria. Nigeria must crash before we start enjoying. And it seems we are holding tight to Nigeria. I know that as long as Nigeria exists, we will keep suffering, so I pray Nigeria stops existing in my lifetime and not after me. This is my prayer ooo.

So, if we refuse to let Nigeria stop existing now, I pray Tinubu crashes the economy in his first term so that Nigeria can go broke. This is my prayer.

Before you insult me, read my previous posts for details on this issue. I want a united Nigeria myself and I have prayed for it, but with recent happenings.....I have concluded that Nigeria as a nation cannot prosper...and the way out is that new nations should be created out of this present Nigeria. I am not Igbo...so no one should start insulting Igbo cos of my post. I have thought these things through, and I have seen that Nigeria cannot prosper. It has to die and new nations from it will start prospering.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Garba Shehu: Tinubu Remains Buhari’s Candidate, No Plan For Interim Government / Breaking News : Ekiti Election / Katsina House Of Reps Member, Supporters Dump APC For PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.