Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal (12061 Views)

$500,000 Bribe: Supreme Court Affirms Farouk Lawan’s Five-year Sentence / Court Convicts Farouk Lawan Over $500,000 Bribe / Otedola: DSS Gave Me $500,000 To Set Farouk Lawan Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by peekspot(m): 7:44am On Nov 03, 2023
The Supreme Court has fixed January 26, 2024, for judgment in the appeal by a former member of the House of Representatives Farouk Lawan who is presently in jail.

A five-member panel led by Justice John Okoro chose the date after lawyers to parties made their final submissions and adopted their written briefs.

Lawan’s appeal is seeking to set aside the February 24, 2022 judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja, which sentenced him to a five-year jail term and discharged him on two out of the three counts on the corruption charge brought against him by the Federal Government.

Although it was his motion for bail, pending the determination of his appeal, that was listed for hearing, the court elected to take the main appeal rather than dissipating energy on the interlocutory application when the appeal was, on its own, ripe for hearing.

While urging the court to first take the bail application, his Counsel and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Joseph Daudu, said his client’s health was threatened.

Daudu says Lawan has stage three prostrate cancer, noting that if it gets to stage four, there is no assurance that he will remain alive.

But, on realising that the court was unwilling to walk back on its position, Daudu applied to withdraw the application for bail following which the main appeal was taken.

He urged the court to allow his client’s appeal and set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal.

While adumbrating, Daudu noted that the Court of Appeal discharged on counts one and two, which attracted a maximum of seven years.

Daudu argued that if the Court of Appeal could discharge his client on the two counts, which he claimed, have the same ingredients as the third count, the Supreme Court should equally let off the hook in relation to the third count.

Counsel to the Federal Government, Bagudu Sanni, urged the court to affirm the judgment of the Court of Appeal and dismiss the appeal.

The Court of Appeal had, in its judgment, reduced Lawan’s initial maximum jail term from seven to five years.

Lawan was convicted by a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on June 22, 2021, on a three-count charge of soliciting a bribe, agreeing to accept a bribe, and actually accepting a $500,000 bribe from businessman, Femi Otedola.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/11/02/supreme-court-fixes-jan-26-for-judgment-on-jailed-farouk-lawans-appeal/

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by wittywriter: 7:50am On Nov 03, 2023
Shameless politicians.
IamANigerianMan:

But your brother Atedola that gave him bribe is moving free, let me tell you, if it is developed country they don't take that evidence , the reason is because the bribe was given for a motive to stop the probe of Subsdy thieve your brother was involved , the bribe was an induction, he never asked of bribe, he was induced , go and check why Ekweremadu was sentenced not because he had a contact of the body but the judge said he was aware and pretend not to be aware...
Nigeria happens to the disadvantaged...golden nigerian rule; never be on the disadvantaged!

Wittyness.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by StreetFight: 8:00am On Nov 03, 2023
This guy who was setup bribed by Ote$. Ote$ was implicated in the report he was preparing. Now, nobody has gone back to check the report again or give another person to review. This is Nigeria. Power Pass Power

I hope we remember that report was about Subsidy Fraud. The same problem that got us to the point that Emilokan Asiwaju Tinubu had to totally remove the subsidy making the masses to suffer.

16 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by tommy589(m): 8:04am On Nov 03, 2023
I take the words of labour leaders and politicians with pinch of salt. Just know they are fake the moment you see them acting firebrand

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by IamANigerianMan: 9:30am On Nov 03, 2023
wittywriter:
Shameless politicians.

Wittyness.
But your brother Atedola that gave him bribe is moving free, let me tell you, if it is developed country they don't take that evidence , the reason is because the bribe was given for a motive to stop the probe of Subsdy thieve your brother was involved , the bribe was an induction, he never asked of bribe, he was induced , go and check why Ekweremadu was sentenced not because he had a contact of the body but the judge said he was aware and pretend not to be aware...

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Edoreborn: 10:01am On Nov 03, 2023
Is he truly in jail?
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by AskNgige2: 10:03am On Nov 03, 2023
IamANigerianMan:

Las Las evil that men do live after em...

All of them will surely pay even the otedela or so
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by ATEAMS: 10:04am On Nov 03, 2023
Ommoh
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Antoeni(m): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2023
I Hope The Judges Will Have the Courage to Send Him to Prison
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by saintkel(m): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2023
Where's Otedola?
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by clearcrystal: 10:05am On Nov 03, 2023
Why did Ote$ set him up if he's not guilty?
Farouk has learnt his lesson in a bitter way.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by saintkel(m): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2023
Antoeni:
I Hope The Judges Will Have the Courage to Send Him to Prison
and ur Otedola nko?
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by BluntCrazeMan: 10:06am On Nov 03, 2023
Ok naa
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by DMerciful(m): 10:06am On Nov 03, 2023
Supreme Fraud indeed!
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by YouandiAllofus: 10:06am On Nov 03, 2023
Supreme Court and it's kangaroo judgements.

I have lost confidence in the judiciary after that verdict that upheld the electoral petition against the president including his confirmed certificate forgery case.
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Bolack: 10:06am On Nov 03, 2023
smiley smiley
Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by happney65: 10:08am On Nov 03, 2023
So this guy is still in jail? Omo Otedola really do am strong thing. grin

What a pity!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Throwback: 10:08am On Nov 03, 2023
A rising star who used greed to kill his political career and freedom.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by MorataFC: 10:09am On Nov 03, 2023
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by themanderon: 10:09am On Nov 03, 2023
He should just join Apc and all his sons will be forgiven. grin

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by David160(m): 10:10am On Nov 03, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Obakoolex(m): 10:10am On Nov 03, 2023
If we know how most of our billonaires got their wealth, we will stone their entire household to death.
In a sane society both bribe taker and giver are guilty.

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Obakoolex(m): 10:11am On Nov 03, 2023
YouandiAllofus:
Supreme Court and it's kangaroo judgements.

I have lost confidence in the judiciary after that verdict that upheld the electoral petition against the president including his confirmed certificate forgery case.

Will you just keep kwayet!
Shey na you confirm the certificate forgery case
Just because the verdict didn't go your way you are crying up and down.
No more #eyesonthejudiciary
Ugly nonsense

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:11am On Nov 03, 2023
Even in Prison! Politicians and their cancerous lies.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Racoon(m): 10:11am On Nov 03, 2023
They want to free a criminal with stage 3 cancer to go spend the rest of his loots.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Gianeh: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2023

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by FreeStuffsNG: 10:13am On Nov 03, 2023
peekspot:

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/11/02/supreme-court-fixes-jan-26-for-judgment-on-jailed-farouk-lawans-appeal/
He is the poster boy for the worst form of deceit by a public official. Just a mention of his name reminds Nigerians of how this man Nigerians trusted and hailed then turned out to be a huge disappointment.
If he is on stage 3 prostrate cancer, he could be given opportunity to get treatment but the conviction must not be lifted to serve as a deterrent to others who may want to take Nigerians for fools.

Watching the sting operation, Farouk stuffing the marked dollars in his agbada and promising Femi Otedola to remove his company from the list of subsidy thieves paints him as a public disgrace. So sad.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by RenaissanceGuy: 10:15am On Nov 03, 2023
They should add 5 more years to his jail term, unless they've been settled.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fixes January 26 For Judgment On Jailed Farouk Lawan’s Appeal by Kingpele(m): 10:17am On Nov 03, 2023
This country self... in late 90s I used to wonder what if 1 dollar become equal to 300 naira ..how will the economy be...this was the reason I a Christian voted against GEJ in 2015 eventhough I voted for him in 2011 ..I was scared seeing dollar nearly the 300 naira .but APC messed up this country from 2015 till date..their promise to bring back 1 dollar to 1naira got me ...but instead the situation deteriorated even as they keep giving excuses upon excuses.. look at the exchange rate supporters of nonsense over to u.... exchange rate determines to great extent the strength of an economy that depends mostly on imported goods ...this government is performing terribly ,but blind religious and ethnic bigots is still hoping against hope ...other governments in the world except Africa borrow money to build infrastructures but here government is borrowing money to buy yacht and SUVS ...(well I believe that we need to suffer while those in government deserve to enjoy life ..the masses need to endure hardship ..yes is our right for the masses to suffer for the good of the nation while leaders enjoy life for the good of the federation ) if u ever think like this you are from agboda Republic....

(1) (2) (Reply)

UPN Picks Woman As Presidential Candidate / Cartels Running Commercial Banks In Nigeria — Senate / Senators Indict Governors For Power Abuse; Come Hard On Ganduje, El-Rufai, Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.