Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread (840 Views)

Do You Pay Tax As A Remote Worker? / This Thread Is For Blockchain Developers / Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by InteliJ(f): 3:17am On Nov 04, 2023
Hello there,

If you're living in Nigeria and working remotely, there're few things I want to ask you if you don't mind:

When you apply for remote jobs, do you target "Remote, Anywhere/worldwide" or "Remote, [foreign country]"?

From my observation, most remote jobs expects applicants to reside at the job location. So, how do you maneuver this?

If you've any tips/tricks to share please feel free to do so. Thank you!
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by qtguru(m): 3:20am On Nov 04, 2023
Relocate, the end of remote work is coming to an end. Covid is over

2 Likes

Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by InteliJ(f): 3:23am On Nov 04, 2023
qtguru:
Relocate, the end of remote work is coming to an end. Covid is over
Thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread.

That's what I noticed boss. I'm finding it hard to accept this reality. Most companies are adopting Hybrid roles.

But, one needs a job to be able to save for Japa. Isn't it? cry
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by qtguru(m): 7:37am On Nov 04, 2023
InteliJ:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread.

That's what I noticed boss. I'm finding it hard to accept this reality. Most companies are adopting Hybrid roles.

But, one needs a job to be able to save for Japa. Isn't it? cry

Unfortunately

4 Likes

Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by Possessedkid: 9:42am On Nov 04, 2023
Target jobs for FOSS and crypto companies , the likes of canonical, red hat, wikimedia etc.

They do remote work from different locations

Most western AND european companies are shifting from remote to hybrid and onsite

I've an Indian friend works from Chennai for System76

2 Likes

Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by InteliJ(f): 11:40am On Nov 04, 2023
Possessedkid:
Target jobs for FOSS and crypto companies , the likes of canonical, red hat, wikimedia etc.

They do remote work from different locations

Most western AND european companies are shifting from remote to hybrid and onsite

I've an Indian friend works from Chennai for System76

Thank you for your interesting contribution sir

@ bolded
I know of canonical, I see their advert quite often. I must confess; the requirements are very high. Especially, years of experience. I don't know the other companies you mentioned (I'll check asap)

I also see Turing advert, I don't know if it's legit tho

It's true that companies are moving to onsite or hybrid. Employees are also saying that's the best mode of work for them.
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by qtguru(m): 2:05pm On Nov 04, 2023
The only alternative is starting a business tied to a platform and offer consultancy or freelance, as for full-time jobs, location is a problem, I lost out on 2 massive jobs because of location.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by InteliJ(f): 5:33pm On Nov 04, 2023
qtguru:
The only alternative is starting a business tied to a platform and offer consultancy or freelance, as for full-time jobs, location is a problem, I lost out on 2 massive jobs because of location.
Sir I won't lie to you, this consultancy/freelance option is quite tricky.

Location/race (especially when dealing with foreign clients) still affects business.

I've tried it before (not actually coding, but tech related) and that's what I realized.
They want you to be in a developed country or at least white. You can't lie because to get high paying clients you must build trust and this is by seeing each other in real time. Sometimes, clients will ask you to meet up in a physical location to discuss sef grin

Nigerian clients simply don't pay well like you'd expect.

Another downside is YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. Clients expect you to have years of professional experience first for them to take you seriously.

I'm in the qa space tho, not development. But, I think I should talk to you more about this if you don't mind
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by Nazgul: 10:53pm On Feb 22
InteliJ:
Fvck I need earn money omo

Clearance started two weeks ago, no money for it. Things are tough, I can't even ask my parents for money. I'll get the money myself by God's grace.

nazgul please I sent you a pm. I've some knowledge on Microsoft ecosystem, I'll be glad if you can please answer a few questions. Thank you.
Hello bro, you can ask your question here?
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by veeveanO(f): 9:15am On Feb 23
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by Nazgul: 9:41am On Feb 23
veeveanO:

Mr Nazgul goodmorning. I sent a response on the other thread, I've been refreshing since then for your reply 😢...Please help a soul out 🙏....thanks for your response.

Don't quote this message cos I'm removing it soon.
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by tollyboy5(m): 9:49am On Feb 23
Nazgul:

Don't quote this message cos I'm removing it soon.
Lol you should have rather sent her mail. 😂😂😂😂

I 4 quote the whole text and demand ransom.
Since na d trending business now bedat grin

1 Like

Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by Nazgul: 9:51am On Feb 23
tollyboy5:

Lol you should have rather sent her mail. 😂😂😂😂

I 4 quote the whole text and demand ransom.
Since na d trending business now bedat grin
Nairaland email service isn't good.

I don even remove am sef.

Ransome kwa for guy number? You go wait taya. 😁
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by tollyboy5(m): 10:05am On Feb 23
Nazgul:

Nairaland email service isn't good.

I don even remove am sef.

Ransome kwa for guy number? You go wait taya. 😁
Someone sent me mail yesterday. It's now working
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by InteliJ(f): 10:06am On Feb 23
Nazgul:

Hello bro, you can ask your question here?
Hello Good morning, I appreciate you getting back to me.

My question is, what platform in ms365 are you working in?

I'm familiar with SharePoint, one drive, power app, power automate and power bi. This is under the powerapp platform of Microsoft too.

Another thing is, how did you structure your upwork profile? Did you position as a ms solution expert or IT support expert and what kind of gigs did you apply to.

I apologize If you find my questions "intrusive". Thank you!
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by Nazgul: 10:09am On Feb 23
tollyboy5:

Someone sent me mail yesterday. It's now working
Ok
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by Nazgul: 10:27am On Feb 23
InteliJ:
Hello Good morning, I appreciate you getting back to me.
You're welcome

InteliJ:
My question is, what platform in ms365 are you working in?
Microsoft Exchange
Active directory
Identity
Security and Compliance
Then Teams which I believe you should know.

InteliJ:
I'm familiar with SharePoint, one drive, power app, power automate and power bi. This is under the powerapp platform of Microsoft too.
True, but to work as a Microsoft 365 freelancer on upwork, you need to learn the ones I mentioned. I barely use one drive aside using it to backup my jobs on Jupiter notebook. The rest, I don't really use them.

InteliJ:
Another thing is, how did you structure your upwork profile? Did you position as a ms solution expert or IT support expert and what kind of gigs did you apply to.
IT Support and MS 365 support.

As for the application, the guy that trained me used a special link which he refused to share with me to apply directly to MS 365. There are people who have the direct link. Such that if you apply by 11am today, before 2pm, someone would reach out to you.

And note, it's a contract job which they'll renew every 6 months depending on how well your performance is.

InteliJ:
I apologize If you find my questions "intrusive". Thank you!
I don't. Your apology wasn't necessary.

3 Likes

Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by InteliJ(f): 2:28pm On Feb 23
Nazgul:

You're welcome

Microsoft Exchange
Active directory
Identity
Security and Compliance
Then Teams which I believe you should know.
wow, whole time I was thinking your work is kind of business analysis. I just did some Google search and this is a real technical role (server admin, security admin). Did you write any cert exam like sc-900?

True, but to work as a Microsoft 365 freelancer on upwork, you need to learn the ones I mentioned. I barely use one drive aside using it to backup my jobs on Jupiter notebook. The rest, I don't really use them.
Okay I get you, thank you.

IT Support and MS 365 support.
Okay. I'll have to go down the rabbit hole looking for resources to learn. I'd have loved to pay the guy but location and finance is an issue.

As for the application, the guy that trained me used a special link which he refused to share with me to apply directly to MS 365. There are people who have the direct link. Such that if you apply by 11am today, before 2pm, someone would reach out to you.
info l'eyan fin fo grin

And note, it's a contract job which they'll renew every 6 months depending on how well your performance is.
well noted, thank you!

I don't. Your apology wasn't necessary.
I'm glad, thank you.
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by veeveanO(f): 11:03am On Feb 24
Re: Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread by veeveanO(f): 9:19am On Mar 01

(1) (Reply)

Database Admin. / Winwap / Voice Enabled Web Based Application For Crm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.