Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help (2825 Views)

A Conflict Btw A Father And His First Son...advice Needed.. / First Son Named After Wife's First Love. / 'I Was Chased Out Of The House, My First Son Slapped Me' - Winner Of Supermon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by donmexy1: 1:12pm On Oct 26, 2011
Why do igbos believe that their first sons must marry from their place?im a 32yrs old igbo man who was born and bred in the north.my dream has always been to settle down by age 25 bt my major hinderance are my parents.they want me to settle down with any girl from my place but im yet to find anyone i'd love to settle down with.theyve rejected my last two girlfriends who are fulani n lebanese respectively.im presently madly in love with a gurl from akwaibom who i realy wanna settle down with and cannot imagine living without but they are insisting on an igbo girl simply because im the first son.do i marry someone i dont love simply because i want to impress my folks?if nt do i go ahead wt my girl without their blessings?im 32 and i cant start a new relationship now cos i think im long overdue for marriage.pls people what do i do?i need your candid advice
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by chuckdee4(m): 1:42pm On Oct 26, 2011
Bro, this is your life, you are the one who has to live it and you know the things that do and don't do it for you.
Your parents might say what they want to say but you are the one wearing the shoes and you know where it hurts u the most.

The fact that you grew up in th enorth pretty much means you get on well with girls from the North better than you do Eastern girls. You need to make your parents understand this, they cannot enforce a tribe on you simply because they want to, your upbringing has a huge say in the decisions you make. That explains why Nigerians who grew up in the states or the UK usually end up marrying white ladies, its not because they don't like Nigerian girls its just simply cos they have grown up with white ladies around them and understand them better. Imagine what life for a born and bred Akata would be like with a concrete Naija chick?
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by donmexy1: 2:17pm On Oct 26, 2011
@chuckdee4, tnx 4 u advice.they think that if i marry from some place else that i'll forget home but how do i convince them that their fears are unfounded and how do i make them accept my girl without any resentments towards her?
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by chuckdee4(m): 11:27am On Oct 27, 2011
Well sounds like you need to break her into the family gradually.
You need to introduce her to your folks and pray she grows on them, it may not be easy to begin with but time is a healer and if your girl has a good character it will definitely rub off on your folks (Unless of course your parents are hell bent on you marrying an igbo chick).

I have male igbo friends who have married from the south south region and life has been grand for them, compared to your last 2 chicks (fulani and lebanese) the akwa ibom chick is much closer to home for them so pray to God that it works out well for you.

All the best bro
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by blank(f): 2:57pm On Oct 27, 2011
Please read this thread link very well then u can make up ur mind.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-789346.0.html
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by Outstrip(f): 3:19pm On Oct 27, 2011
Please you are not ready to get married. Do not frustrate some womans life because of your difficult parents. If you cannot stand up to them now then what will make you grow enough balls when yur mother moves in and starts making her life misreable. If the girl is sensible she will move on. You asked for my candid advice and this is it. LEAVE THE GIRL ALONE SO YOU DO NOT RUIN HER LIFE. Marry your parents
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by ifyalways(f): 4:17pm On Oct 27, 2011
OP,You are not ready for marriage.
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by femmy2010(m): 4:24pm On Oct 27, 2011
It is your life and yours alone.
Re: Confused Igbo First Son: Please Help by Dede1(m): 11:53am On Oct 28, 2011
@OP

I guess your stupidity for not listening to your parents drove you from 20 to 32 years still unmarried. Look pal, the worst blunder you will ever commit in life is to marry without the consent of your parents. You are the first son and head of the family following your parents and I do not think you would want to introduce dysfunctional element in your lineage with lady who does not understand Igbo culture and tradition.

(1) (Reply)

Simple Ways Families Can Manage Cost During Recession / What Is The Best Thing To Do? Matured Men Only. / *Best Salt For Cooking*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.