Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,339 members, 7,860,842 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:14 PM

Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti (617 Views)

N500bn Social Welfare: 1million Poor Nigerians To Get N5,000 Directly–Presidency / Top Politicians Woo Senators With $50,000 Each To Impeach Saraki - Daily Indept. / Some Senior Citizens Are Motor Park Touts –Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti by Boyoorisha: 2:08pm On Oct 26, 2011
They were all smiles - and full of praises for a “worthy” idea.

Many indigent Ekiti senior citizens were elated by the government’s gesture as they got N5,000 each under the Social Security Scheme for the Elderly.

Governor Kayode Fayemi flagged off the scheme in Ise-Ekiti.

Fayemi lamented the level of poverty in Africa, saying in the past, the aged were taken care of by an effective social system, but civilisation has broken the bonds of kinship.

Fayemi said while it might be impossible to bring back the kinship spirit, his administration would cater for the elderly.

He said the scheme would be free of gender or political bias.

The governor said: “Civilisation has eroded the kinship system; it is now everyone to himself and God for us all.

“Consequently, people live the latter part of their lives in abject poverty, with attendant diseases, emotional breakdown and frustrating social disaffection.

“It is important for me to clarify that the payment of the N5,000 stipend to each of the registered beneficiaries that commenced today will be made regularly on the 25th of the month, when all workers are getting paid.

“All complaints of inability to register during the enumeration of the elderly shall be looked into. It is our intention to undertake a comprehensive review after the first six months of the programme.

“I assure you all that government has already put in motion the process of drafting a legislation to back this initiative and ensure its sustainability on a long term.”

Commissioner for Labour, Productivity and Human Capital Development Mrs. Olubunmi Adelugba said the programme is the first in West Africa.

She said the programme complements the ongoing free health services for the elderly in the state.

Mrs. Adelugba said any one who is 65 years and above, and had resided in the state for three years is qualified to benefit from the scheme.

A 75-year beneficiary from Isan-Ekiti, Mrs. Juliana Jegede, thanked the governor for the initiative.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/24145-senior-citizens-get-n5-000-in-ekiti.html
Re: Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti by doctokwus: 3:11pm On Oct 26, 2011
Hpe it can b sustained.Shd also not b anoda avenue for fraud,let us not start seeing names long dead being amongts d list of beneficiaries
Re: Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti by Dyt(f): 3:23pm On Oct 26, 2011
^^ giggles
Re: Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti by Kx: 3:24pm On Oct 26, 2011
But the money small sha!
Re: Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti by midep: 4:25pm On Oct 26, 2011
A C N nin jo, BEAF & Co tell ur GEJ to emulate good governance frm the ACN Governors !!!!
Re: Senior Citizens Get N5,000 Each In Ekiti by PointB: 4:56pm On Oct 26, 2011
Giving out free money to the elderly sounds 'cool', if the state can indeed afford and sustain it.
I don't know how many elderly people are in Ekiti State, but 5000 x 1000 = 5,000,000.00 monthly on this scheme should give us an idea.

Mrs. Adelugba said any one who is 65 years and above, and had [i]resided in the state for three years is qualified to benefit from the schem[/i]e.
This is rather dangerous, Ekiti will soon be a 'state for old people.'

Finally, it is a very easy way of perpetuating siphoning funds and other fraud! Ghost workers, ghost pensioners readily comes to mind here. I am yet to see how this scheme will stand the test of time. It is too easy to abuse.

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan Is Not Corrupt (vote) / Fake Naval General Arrested With 9 Guns, Bullets / Why Is Timipre Sylva Flagging Off His Campaign When He Is Yet To Be Cleared?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.