Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Rich - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Rich (223 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rich by Arookiewriter(f): 4:48pm On Nov 06, 2023
And we’re back 😍

Daniel is this playboy who has a thing for music, and he can't seem to become responsible when it comes to relationships, Until he met Sofia.
Sofia is so obsessed with living a good life that she can do what ever it takes to get what she wants. What happens when things didn't seem to go her way after they crossed paths?

Enjoy!

* Sofia *

At exactly 7 am, I was ready for school, I'm in my final year and the section just began. It is cold in Lagos, so I wore a blue gean jacket and pants, and a pink sleeveless inner top. I packed my hair to one side on my shoulder, and then I made my way downstairs. I met my dad sitting in the living room making a phone call, he's always busy and that's because he owns a huge successful record label here in Lagos.

He is in his early fifties and he's still very agile and can be very strict especially with me.
I grew up in America with my mom she's an American, and yeah, they're divorced. She's now married to someone else and I didn't want to live with them, so I came back home to my dad, that was four years ago. He's a no nonsense kind of person, he says that my mom spoiled me too much and that's why I'm so stubborn but I could care less about what he thinks, and I still do as I please, I shrugged at the thought. I waited for him to finish the call, after he was done, I said

"Good morning! " I greeted cheerfully, but he only removed his glasses and kept it on the table, he looked at me from head to toe and I mentally rolled my eyes at him, knowing what he meant.

And so I got down on my knees and greeted again "Good morning dad" I said, he sighed and I blinked my eyes rapidly, smiling. He raised an eyebrow at me and glared at me, I laughed and stood up.

"I'm off to school dad" I said looking at the clock on the wall, I brought out my iPhone 11 pro, He looked at me suspiciously,

"Madam, today is Saturday. " He said, in his Nigerian accent, he doesn't even try to fake it. He's a bonified yoruba man, if that's even a word.

"Exactly dad, we have an extra class today and it's a must to be there."

"Hmm." he said suspiciously, he started scrolling through his phone.

"Alright, you can go. " he said after a while, I still stood there and he turn to look at me again, "Madam, why are you still standing here? " he asked, I tried to look innocent, even though I know that it doesn't work on him.

"I'm out of cash daddy" I said, and he stood up,

"What? " he shouted and I flinched, I tuck in some strands of my braids behind my ear" What about the 100 thousand naira I gave you three days ago? " he yelled, Crap! Why does his memory have to be so sharp? I just stared at my fingers, I was fiddling with them.

"I'm talking to you Sofia! " he said, I on the other hand regretted asking him for money. I didn't even know what I did with all the money.

"I'm sorry dad, I truly am" I managed to say, but I only received his glare. I know he doesn't hate me, he's just trying to make sure that I don't go wayward like other spoilt kids, if only he knew that I don't care about him trying to raise me the right way.

"Sorry for yourself, you will trek to that school today " he said and sat down on the Sofa. I took slow steps out of the living room, I kept on turning back to see if he would call me back but, for where? as they say around here. The only thing he said was,"And don't you dare take any of my cars!"

* Mr. Makun *

I sighed in disappointment at my daughter's mischief, the way she still make me yell, one would think that she's a twelve year old child, not knowing that she's more than 25. She's so irresponsible even after everything I've done and still doing to bring her up the right way. The only thing I'm impressed with is her studies, even with all these misbehaviour she still gets good grades. I have so much money to spend on her as she is my only child, but I won't do that until she proves to me that she has changed for the better.

"Your tea Sir, " My house help, who is almost like a family now, said as she dropped the tray on the table. I watched her pour the tea in a mug, and then she stood straight staring at me.

"What is the matter Lilian?" I asked, she's a tall, plumpy, dark skinned lady in her middle thirties. She is very beautiful, I respect her and I always consider her opinions as she had dedicated her time and efforts in taking care of my home. She wore a dark brown, floor length dress, with white petals designs on it. I let her dress the way she wants because she always dresses responsible unlike few of my house helps in the past.

"Sir, it's just that I feel like you are being a little too harsh on her. You know she's still trying to adjus... "

"Don't tell me that Lilian, don't play the adjust card here, it doesn't work with me anymore." she stared at the floor, both her hands at her back. I continued,

"stop making excuses for that girl I don't like it. Hmmm, she's my blood don't forget, and I can see right through her. You think I don't know she's lying about going to school today, hmm just forget." I heard her breath out heavily.

"I'm sure she's just going to a friend's place, probably to study" she said, and I was starting to get annoyed with her. She's just like my ex wife, all they know how to do is to spoil a child. I started glaring at her, "I know she will never do anything to disappoint yo... "

"Please leave my presence. " I said, she immediately nodded and left before I could finish my sentence, better for you.

:::::::::::::::::::

* Daniel *

I parked my Mercedes benz in front of Sofia, she was standing beside the road looking so pissed. I waited for her to get in but she just stood there, I sighed deeply and came down from the car, I went to her side and opened the door for her, she got in and folded her arms on her chest, I got back into the car and drove off.

She hasn't said a word since the ride and the silence was killing me, it's not as if we were still fighting, last night I went through hell before she forgive me. I decided to break the silence,

"Babe what happened?" I asked looking at her, she didn't say anything. I stopped the car beside the road and she just scrolled through her phone.

"If you didn't want to talk to me then why did you call me? " I asked, and finally she spoke.

"Because I needed a ride and I don't have any money to pay for it? " she said in a duh tone, and I mentally cursed, this girl is slowly driving me crazy.

I used to be a player, no woman has ever done what she does to me. I've broken so many hearts that now I feel like she's my karma. I'm so in love with her that I can do practically anything she wants. I don't mind spending my last card on her I swear.

"Can you for once just talk to me with a little respect? " I asked, and she laughed, oh God! "I'm serious here!" I said and she laughed even harder, she has no ounce of respect for me at all.

"You can't be serious babe" she said after she stopped laughing. Well at least she's happy now.

"So tell me why you were upset earlier? " I asked

"I just told you that I don't have any money and my dad refused to give me any " she said so casually, making me sigh.

"I see, " I brought out my phone and transferred some money into her account. Few seconds later she got the alert and a small smile formed in her lips.

"Wow, thanks babe! " she said and wrapped her hands around my neck, pulling me close to her. She kissed me, and I kissed her back, after a while, she pulled back and kissed my cheek again and again making me chuckle, her kisses was magical.

"I love you, " she said looking at me straight in the eyes, her arms were still around my neck, I smiled

"I love you more my love," I replied and she grinned.
She was a simple person, it's not that hard to understand her, it's obvious she likes money but who doesn't? she can be very fun to be with, as long as you don't get on her bad side though.

" But it's small! " she declared looking dead serious, by now her hands weren't around me anymore. I rest back my head on the seat, while I groaned out of frustration, she's definitely going to make me go crazy.

* Sofia *

After almost an hour of bickering in the car, he finally gave up and added another 100k making it a 200 thousand Naira, I was in cloud nine right now. He then dropped me off at Mimi's flat, Mimi is my dad's girlfriend and I guess you can say that  we're kinda pals.

She texted me earlier to come see her, I wonder what she wants now? I don't like being around her that much because she always likes showing off and sometimes makes me feel like I'm beneath her. If not that dad, doesn't want to spoil me with too much money, I wouldn't be on her level, she wouldn't have the guts to compare herself to me.

We were now currently in her room, I sat on the bed and watch her sit on the floor with clothes everywhere on the floor. Apparently she was looking for what to wear for a friend's party and that's why she called me here. I was so speechless when she told me, I didn't know what to say to her, this is what we like to call "see finish"

If not that she consideres me completely jobless and worthless, she wouldn't have the audacity to do what she did. Oh dad! look at the shame you are causing me, making me go through pain unnecessary. I sighed at the thought,

"I still cannot believe that you called me here for this" I said after minutes of silence. She wore a black crop top with 'I love you' written on it, and a black leggings. She had this nose ring on making her skin tone pop. She also cut her hair and dyed it blonde. She is also in her early thirties.

" Come on Sophie, I'm only trying to make us spend time together. And plus I know you have good taste" she said, all in one go and winked at me in the end, I rolled my eyes at her.

"But still, you should have told me, you didn't even know whether I left something important to rush down here.. " I was saying, and she burst into laughter. I didn't know what held me back from throwing my phone at her.

"Don't make me laugh babe, we all know that you don't have anything better to do" she said, ouch! "And plus you are still in school " she added, "Which reminds me, how's it going with school? Final year baby! " she said the last part excitedly, and I glared at her.

"School is okay, my only problem is dad. He just won't let me live my life the way I want " I said like a two years old and she chuckled. All these while she still hasn't found what to wear,

"Look Sophie, he's like that with you because you let him and apart from that, you are his only daughter so I'm sure he means well." she said,

"I'm sure he does, you know this is actually the first time you said something reasonable" I said and she threw a t-shirt at me, but I quickly ducked.

"Hey, that reminds me, what about the job I have for you? I haven't heard from you since then." she was saying, and I groaned out of frustration but she didn't care. "Just think about it, you'll earn money at least. " she said, but I just stared at her blankly,

She wants me to be her costume designer for a photo shoot, she has a studio and did I mention she is a model too? Of course I know there's money involved but I'm not just interested in that right now.

" I'm still thinking about it, I'll get back to you soon, promise" I said the only thing I could think of and she pouted a little. She stood up and now she was standing in front of me,

"Come on Sophie, please say yes? " She pleaded, ok don't emotionally blackmail me woman! I sighed deeply

"Alright fine " I said she squealed and brought me in a tight hug. After breaking the hug, she held out a dress, "What do you think of this?" she asked and I gave her a thumbs up, she smiled

"I'm hungry Mimi, entertain your guest"

::::::::::::::::::::::
Re: Rich by Arookiewriter(f): 4:51pm On Nov 06, 2023

* Daniel *

I sat on the chair in a small living room, in my late father's house, scrolling through my iPhone 11, I came to visit my mother and my only siblings Becky and Angel, they're twins. My mother is around 55 years and she is still very much strong. She can be very strict and bossy, that was one of the reason I left the house.

She hates lazy people and likes things done well and neatly. Speaking of the devil, she walked into the living room and sat beside me, I continued looking at my phone knowing full well that she's looking at me, she tied a wrapper (ankara) around her waist, and she also tied the scarf  on her head while she wore and simply blouse.

"Continue acting like you don't know I'm here." she said after a while, sounding a little angry. I closed my eyes and sighed deeply,

"What is it again mom?" I asked calmly knowing exactly what she was getting at, and she glared at me.

"Anyways, you still haven't bring any woman home, what are you waiting for? I asked you last night when you came and you quickly changed the topic. Well not today" she said, I felt so speechless right now.

"Mom, we already talked about this issue countless of times. I will bring a wife home once the time is right, please"  I tried to reason out, but she wasn't buying any of the things I said, she shook her head.

"No way, that was what you said when you were jobless last year. Now that God has done it for you this year, what's stopping you? " she said, I was going to say something but she cut me off,

"Even if it's a little wedding my son, a small gathering self, is enough, we won't invite much people o, rara(no). That is if the expenses is what you are worried about." I gave out a small laugh at what she said, I don't have a problem with a small wedding, but I can't say the same for my materialistic girlfriend.

When I think of settling down, she comes to my mind, I don't have any plans of tying the knot with any other woman, except her. I just don't know if it's the same on her part, especially if she finds out about the truth.

"And what's so funny with what I said? Do you think I'm joking Daniel? " she said the last part getting up, I stood up too. Both Becky and Angel were now in the living room, their hands crossed on their chest. They don't  like missing out on anything

" I have to go Mama" I simply said, I walked pass her and headed straight out. My sisters followed behind me, I got into my White Lexus, and they were both still standing beside the door, I whined down the tinted window,

"What is it? " I asked getting irritated,

"Money for our upkeep, " Becky said, stretching out a hand, she can be very controlling like my mom. " What do you mean by upkeep? I've already given Mama the money for that" Angel's jaw dropped, while Becky sighed in disappointment.

"Well you will have to give us another money, you know she won't give it to us. And I clearly told you the last time not to give her our own share of the money" she said all in one go, I sighed. Why is it that all the women in my life wants to rob me of the little I have? I brought out my phone and transferred, 30k to her account.

"Can I go now? " I asked, and they both stared at me blankly, they look nothing like each other.

" We haven't gotten the alert, bro" This time, Angel said, she was the calmest in our whole family. I wonder how Becky was able to convince her to be a part of this robbery.

"Are you kidding me right now? Don't you know I'm late already.. " I was saying, when Becky caught me off.

"Please it's okay Daniel, we both know that you are going to see that oyibo(white) lady in your phone." my eyes widened, "Yes, we saw her pictures in your photo last night. " ding! She checked her phone, "Oh the alert just entered, thanks big brother. " she said with a little smirk on her face.

"And don't worry, our lips are sealed. But bro, you really have good taste oh" she said smiling and I rolled my eyes at her.

"You both better remain quiet about it" I told them, and they nodded at the same time. With that, I wined up the window and left the street.

:::::::::::::::::::::

The black gate opened after my third horn, I glared at the gateman for deliberately wasting my time. I parked the car at the garage along with other exotic cars, I came down from the car to meet the gateman standing in front of me looking suspicious. His hands folded on his chest, he's a slim, fair guy in his early thirties, and he has this annoying mustache, it was 6 pm.

"What is it Aliyu?"  I asked and he looked at me from head to toe. "Aliyu what nau? " I asked getting annoyed.

"Oga is inside " was all he said, and I froze, he started walking back to his room, and I immediately stopped him, I was now standing in front of him.

"Guy, talk to me nau. Since when did he arrive?" I asked looking at  him, and  the house.

"Since 3. He has been looking for you since he came back, and your line was not connecting. Where did you go to this time around? " he asked,

"I went home guy, a man gat to check up on his family. " I said, and he chuckled,

"Well done, family man. We wey no get family. " He said the last part walking away, not minding me calling him repeatedly.

I sighed deeply, thinking about how to go inside and face my boss. It's not that he's a bad person, he's like a brother to me actually, and he doesn't mind whether I drive any of his cars, as long as I don't scratch it. I smiled at the thought.

He's a famous musician here in Nigeria, known as Teddy, he has won many awards for his hit songs. The truth is I'm actually his driver, I drive him anywhere and everywhere, I sometimes go with him for tours, yeah we're that close.

I also had a dream of becoming a musician, I'm really good in song writing, and I love singing as well. I remember when I told Teddy that I wanted to be a musician, he was so happy about it. He took me to his studio and then he heard me sing, I sang one of my favourite song that I wrote myself, and I wasn't even done singing when everyone in the studio including Teddy, bursted out laughing.

They said that my singing was terrible and that I should never do it again, that was three months ago, since then I never sang or write anything again. It broke my heart that they thought ill of my singing, I never thought that my singing was that bad, the whole scene broke my spirit I must confess.

So I decided to stick to what I knew best, driving. I have a master's degree in accounting but as we all know, to get a good job in this country was difficult, and I stopped searching for it ever since I found this one, seven months ago, at least he pays well. I was brought out of my thoughts by Teddy himself,

"And how long will you keep standing there? Didn't you know that I've been looking for you?" he said, he wore a white shirt and a knee-length gean trousers (Fendi brand), and he held a glass of wine in his hand.

"Sorry Sir" I said bowing a little, and he breathed out.

"Where have you been looking all dressed up?" he asked, and that was when I took note of my designer's outfit. I scratched the back of my head. "You should learn to save up, Daniel. Don't spend your money on things that aren't worth it " he said walking back inside, and I followed him.

He has a point with that, but I've stopped buying unnecessary things and started saving up, I really want to make it official with Sophie. Just thinking about her brought a smile to my face.

"Are you even listening to me?" he asked bringing me out of my thoughts, he was already sitting on the super comfortable couch " And why are you smiling? " he looked rather confused,

"Sorry I zoned out " I said,

"Clearly! " he said, and then he brought out his phone, "Anyways na you get your money, "  he said, while scrolling through his phone. I just stood there,  and then my eyes went to his bodyguards Mike and Jaff, and I nodded my head at them in form of greeting, they stood in different positions in the living room.

"Why are you still standing? " he asked looking at me now, " Go get ready we're going out. I need to get some air" he said and I nodded, he stood up from the couch, and made his way upstairs to change probably. Jaff and Mike walked towards me, and we fistbump each other.

"Where were you since? " Jaff asked,

"I went to see mama" I said and they both chuckled,

"Mummy's boy!" Mike commented and I punch his shoulder lightly, these were really huge guys by the way, always in black wears. "With all these your beards" he said again and we all laughed.

"How is she doing by the way? I really missed that her gbegiri( beans soup) " Jaff said, smiling,

"Stop being a foody, and she's fine" I said, getting annoyed at my colleagues.

"Anyways we'll find time and go see her again" Mike said, "Let's just focus on tonight, I need to... " I cut him off,

"You need to do what? Talk to babe the other day, you no fit" I said glaring at Mike, Jaff laughed hard.

"At least no be me them slap two days ago! " Mike commented and I glared at him. They were also present that day my girlfriend hit me. They didn't go with Teddy for his trip.

"Must you bring that up now? " I asked, Jaff was just laughing at the both of us, "You too, it's okay! " I yelled at Jaff and he grabbed his lips with two of his fingers. I walked pass them and went outside to wait for the boss, and they weren't far behind me.

We went to Cubana, and the place was lit, there were people dancing, some were drinking, making out, everything. We were in a VIP room, Teddy was already drinking, and a lady in revealing clothes was keeping him company. Mike and Jaff just stood there doing their jobs, unlike them, I get to go where I want cause I'm not a bodyguard.

So I left the room and I sat at the bar, the bartender poured me a drink and I started sipping it, a driver can't get high. I was busy calling Sophie but she didn't answer, I texted her countless times but no reply, and I know she was doing it intentionally, the annoying part is that I still love her so much. I couldn't get her out of my mind, she's all I think about, no be juju be this?

She's just too much, and that's why I see to it that I'm able to give her everything she wants so that she won't treat me this way, but even with everything I do for her, she still treat me bad... some times though. I felt someone tap my shoulder lightly,

"Hey, what's up? " Jaff asked, I was surprised they were out here. "He wanted some space" he answered, as if reading my mind.

"Lucky for you guys " I said in a low tone and sipped my drink. I wasn't feeling the vibe of this place anymore. Jaff sat beside me,

"Are you ok? " He asked looking at me, and I nodded, knowing full well that he doesn't buy it. And just then Mike spoke,

"Guy, if you no feel ok, na you sabi oh. Lemme go and talk to that babe over there" he said the last part, putting on his dark glasses and then he went to the direction of the lady he saw. I turned to meet Jaff's gaze,

"What? I'm fine man, " I said in an American accent and he chuckled,

"Is that the one you are learning from her? "

" Guy, you won't understand, I gats fake the accent to her sometimes so that she will understand what I'm saying better " I said and he laughed hard,

"Who send you guy? "

"Na love oh, if not that she's part American I would have said that she used jaz on me " I said, and this time, we both laughed while we high-five each other. After the laughter died down,

"That reminds me, when are you planning on getting mama out of that house? " he asked and I ran a hand through my hair,

"Seriously, it's on my mind, I already have plans, so I'll do that pretty soon " I've already saved up for a new apartment, I just haven't found a nice one yet.

After I sipped my drink again, I looked at Jaff to see him staring at something behind me, and I frowned.

"Isn't that Sofia and your ex? " he asked, his eyes never leaving the direction. I looked back and saw her, she looked so pretty, and she wasn't wearing what she wore earlier. She was dancing with a guy and then my eyes fell on Mimi my ex, who was also dancing with someone, this cannot be good.

Re: Rich by Arookiewriter(f): 4:52pm On Nov 06, 2023

*Daniel *

I abruptly stood up, my heart was as if someone stabbed it with a knife, how can she be dancing with someone else? She was looking so happy, ok man! Stop thinking about it too much, remember this is a club and most people dance with each other even when they don't even know each other's names.

"Yeah, it's them" I said, still looking at their direction.

"But what is she doing with Mimi?" Jaff asked again,

"I also don't have an answer to that question man." I said, raking a hand through my hair. That lady is bad news, we dated for only few weeks years ago, things didn't work out because she wanted more, and I'm not rich, so she left. It's not that I was heartbroken, I mean, she's by far more older than me and there's no way I would settle for her. Let's just say that we were friends with benefits.

But when Sophie mentioned Mimi, I didn't think she meant this Mimi, and I'm so surprised that she owns that flat. Oh well, I heard she is dating a rich man now, who seems to be able to afford anything she wants, and now she is being a bad influence on my girlfriend, I started to get annoyed. Just then the stranger slided his hands on Sophie's waist, she wasn't comfortable with it so she removed his hand, only for him to place them back there again, I couldn't take it, as if on cue, Mimi left the dance floor.

"Guy! " I heard Jaff call out from behind me, but I was already close to the dancing floor.

* Sophia *

"For the nth time Sophie, stop worrying about your dad, he's not going to murder you, you are an adult for God's sake. " Mimi, said as we sat at a round table. After making me go to her friend's party, there was an after party at this club and she made me come with her, okay I could have declined if I wanted to but I just want the distraction and there's nothing wrong in having a little fun.

Right now, I was worried because dad will totally freak out if he finds out I went to a club again. Unlike the last time, I made Lilian cover for me, but this time around she has no idea about it. I was lost in my own world when two guys came to sit at our table, I noticed that it was the same guy from the last time.

"Hello" he greeted smiling at me, and I looked totally uninterested in talking to him, I just sipped my drink. I heard him sigh,

"Are you always like this? Losen up a bit will you? " he said, by now I was pressing my phone. I noticed that Mimi was totally enjoying his friend's company, I can't believe her right now.

"What do you want? " I asked, not even looking at him, he was starting to irritate me,

"IPhone 11 pro! That's kind of small, " he said and I scoffed, how dare he? Does he even know the amount of stress I went through before my dad decided to get it for me last year?

Just then I texted Mimi to please help me get rid of this guy, but her reply made my jaw dropped,
'Never! don't you know who he is? He's a senator's son for God's sake, you better don't do anything stupid!'
I was still wondering how she could type all these with the man beside her, I shook my head at her, a senator's son huh? Let's see,

" And so, what about it? " I asked, now looking at him, he was handsome, but not my type. I heard him chuckle,

"I love your accent " he said, and I rolled my eyes at him. "I'm Ahmed and you are Sophia right? " he asked, leaving me perplexed.

"I know you because I did my homework and it's not that hard to find the only beautiful lady here in lagos. " he said, and I'm sure my face still look surprised, "I actually followed you here, from the party"

"What do you want? " I asked, he was starting to freak me out.

"Hmmm, let's see." he said thinking about what he wants, "First off, a dance! " he said and I scoffed at him, I continued pressing my phone, "If you agree to this dance I'll get you the latest iPhone. " he said, and this made me look at him in disbelief, Mimi stood up immediately,

"Of course she'll dance with you Ahmed, who wouldn't want a new phone for a change? " She said smiling, while I stared daggers at her.

"I know right? But I want to hear it from her" he said looking at me. Uurgh! Common on Sophie, it's just one dance, and then hello iPhone 13 pro max!
I stood up and went to the dance floor not before saying, "I'm only doing this because this is my favourite song, and you can keep your money"  he chuckled, and followed me. As I started dancing to my favourite song, he just stood there in my presence, with folded arms and watch me.

Mimi and her friend started dancing, and this made my groove increase, and later on Ahmed came forward and yelled, "I'm sorry about earlier and last night too" I smiled and continued dancing, after a while, he joined me. Just then, I noticed Mimi went to the direction of the bathroom.

"This is also one of my favourite song" he said and I smiled. Just then I felt his hands on my waist and I removed them, he placed them again making me to frown, and before I knew it, someone punched him hard, he fell on the floor. It was Daniel, he looked really pissed, he got on top of Ahmed and started punching him countless times, by now the music has stopped and everyone watched the scene unfolding. The bouncers rushed to the dance floor and then they held back a furious Daniel, both my hands were on my mouth.

"I told you to take it easy bro, look at what you let your jealousy cause? " Jaff said to him,  but Daniel didn't seem to care. Ahmed sat on a chair, while they put ice on his bruises.

"Sir, please you have to exit the club" A man said to Daniel, he must be the manager. Daniel on the other hand didn't want to leave, but Jaff said something in his ear, and they both went outside with another friend of theirs, Mike, but not before Daniel looked at me in disappointment. The old me wouldn't care about it but I didn't know why I felt bad about him being angry at me, have I fallen too deeply for him??

:::::::::::::::::::::::

It was exactly 10 o'clock when I reached home, I didn't even have the strength to sneak inside the house. My heart was in pain and it's all my fault, I later decided to go after Daniel only for me to receive all his fury, I have never seen him like that before, and I was the cause of it all. He wasn't talking to me, so I left, I totally hated Mimi for bringing me there, so I took an uber back home. I sat down on the sofa making a thud sound, I was in the living room, my favourite show was on but I couldn't watch it, I was feeling depressed.

"Sophie, " I heard Lilian called out, there was a sign of distress in her voice, I looked at her direction, she was already wearing her pajamas.

"Where have you been for God's sake? " she asked, after sitting beside me, I sighed deeply. "What happened? Your dad and I have been so worried about you "

"I'm sorry Lilian, I should have told you about my whereabouts "

"But where did you keep your phone? " She asked

"Actually I left it in Mimi's car, I just got a hold of it not quite long ago" at the mention of Mimi, her expression changed a little, Mimi totally hates her and guess what? The feeling was mutual.

"Oh so you were with her since " she said,

"Yeah, and I never learn from my mistakes. Every time we hang out something always goes wrong" I said and this made her laugh lightly,

"Anyways, let's forget about that, have you eaten? I made you fried rice " she said, making me smile at her.

"Yes please, I'm famished " with that, she stood up and headed to the kitchen and I stood up as well, I was about to follow her when I heard a voice.

"Come back here the both of you!" Dad yelled, and we both stopped at our tracks. He was now standing in front of me and Lilian walked back to my side, I looked up to see him staring at me, he looked so angry.

"Good evening Sir, " I greeted, slightly bending down my knee, as a sign of respect, 'I hate doing that'

"And what is good about the evening? Tell me Sophia! " he barked, making both Lilian and I flinch. "Where have you been since in the morning? "

"I, I was uhm.. " I stammered so pathetically,

"Can you see your life? Just look at the way you are stuttering, " he said gesturing his hand at me from head to toe. "You are so irresponsible, and it annoys me even more that Lilian is backing you up! " he said, now looking at Lilian, who is suddenly interested in the beautiful rug on the floor.

"I'm sorry dad, I.. "

"You are always sorry, how comes? Don't tell me sorry when you are actually not sorry. I'm so tired of your bad behaviours, do you think you are still a child? " he asked, and I mentally rolled my eyes at him, I know where he's going with this.

"Just go out, and see your mates" he said, now he was gesturing his hands around the house, "They are all married, and making a good home. They are making their parents proud, but what about you? You now lie with your studies, the only thing you are good at" he said, after that he stared at me from head to toe,

"And what are you wearing? " he asked looking at me, that was when I noticed that I was still wearing Mimi's clothes, it was a tiger colour jumpsuit, that was just below my knees.

"It's my clothes dad"

"You better don't make me forget my hand on your face, so you now lie to me in the face abi? " and then he turned to Lillian, "You see what you have caused, you spoiled her too much even when I'm clearly against it, can you see your handwork now? " he yelled at her, and I was so tired, I couldn't take it anymore,

"That's enough dad! It's okay, " I said, frowning. "It's not as if I murdered someone, they're just clothes. And besides I already apologised for lying to you and as my father, I expect you to forgive me and forget about it " I said, not caring about the shock on his face, especially Lilian's she was busy nudging me by the  side.

"I'm an adult dad, and I need you to start treating me like one. Start showing me more respect, who knows I might change because of that"

"Oh! so you even know that you aren't of your best behaviors. Aagh! Oh God! " he said out of exasperation, he placed a hand on his forehead.

"I'm sorry sir, she didn't mean to say that, she's just being childish that's all" Lilian said, and I rolled my eyes at her. Just then my dad took of his shoe, but I was already at the stairs, he wanted to aim at my head from there and I climb up further.

"Sophia if I catch you... If I mistakenly catch you today. " he said, and I stopped myself from laughing, I love this man.

"Please don't be annoyed Sir, please. Ejo(please) " Lillian said, both her hands clasped together.

"I'm sorry dad, I really am." I said from upstairs, "But I just want you to understand me more, and a little respect from you won't hurt. Don't you know that I'll soon be in charge of the company once you retire... " I was cut off by Lilian,

"Ah! Sophie!" Lilian shouted, I noticed my dad coming towards the stairs with his shoe in his hand, I quickly ran to my room and locked the door, my house is so full of drama.

Still to come...

"you are going to marry him whether you like it or not! " my dad yelled but I could care less of what he says,

"You can't force me dad, I'm an adult! And I can make my own decisions"

"I can't imagine you are disobeying me, We'll see about that " he said, and then he walked pass me. There's no way I'm going to get married to that good for nothing big head!

1 Like

Re: Rich by Arookiewriter(f): 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2023

* Daniel *

At the studio, Teddy just finished recording a song and everyone was happy about it, including I even though I sometimes feel like he's living my dream. He came out from the recording room, smiling at us. It has been three days already since that incident at the club.

"Guy this song is going to be a hit!" His female dj, Binta said to Teddy and he scoffed.

"Of course it will, I'm the best after all.. " he said, in a duh tone. He can be very pompous at times. I just stood in one corner of the room, on my phone, I wore a black gean trousers and white shirt. I've been ignoring Sophie's calls since that night. It's not that I'm angry with her, I just don't want to talk to her right now.

"Let's go out and celebrate! " one of his crew said, and everyone supported, all I just want to do is to go back home and rest, I didn't have much sleep ever since that night.

"And why are you just standing here alone? " Binta asked, I didn't even notice her presence. She is a brown skin woman, around my age, she had this red, short dreadlocks, she's very beautiful. I faked a smile, and shook my head.

"This guy sha, you want to make me faint with your cute dimples right? " she asked and I laughed, it made me remember Sophie, she also loves my dimples a lot.

"Hey Jacky Chan, let's go! " Teddy said from behind us, he's been calling me that since he discovered that I got into a fight at the club. It was kinda annoying but I can't complain, he's my boss, and I know that he's upset that Binta made a comment about my dimples, yeah! he's that kind of a person.

He never takes interest on anything or anyone unless I do, and then he snatches it away. I remember when he stole a girlfriend of mine away, that was few months ago before I met Sophie, I've been extra careful since then, so that he doesn't find out about my relationship with Sophie. And now he has been trying his hardest to get Binta's attention but she doesn't seem to be interested, she knows fully well that he's not a serious type.

"Alright boss, " I said, and made my way out, she quickly held my hand, I didn't miss the way Teddy got tensed by it, and with that, we all went out.

We went to a really exquisite restaurant, and Teddy booked the whole place for us, I love it when he does that. There were about eleven of us, including Jaff and Mike, they were already drinking. It's like they would die if they don't eat to maintain that muscular body of theirs. Teddy's manager, Vera was out of town at the moment. We all sat at a round table, the waiters served us different kinds of meals, there were so many to choose from. However, I couldn't be happy even if I wanted to, I was still feeling heartbroken. It was already noon, and everyone kept on eating and drinking, I just had a glass of orange juice in front of me, while on my phone.

*Teddy *

I am so pissed at Daniel right now, but I tried to hide it and pretend that everything was ok. He knows that I like Binta a lot and yet, he's making her fall for him, but he's just a driver why would she be interested in him? Don't get me wrong, I love Daniel, he's like my younger brother, but right now he's totally annoying me. I even brought out a chair for her to sit beside me, but she refused and decided to sit beside him, I was totally stunned by her actions. And now he's just ignoring her like he doesn't like her, maybe he's doing it so that I won't get jealous, I sighed at the thought.

"Why are you so quiet today? You are usually the life of the party" she asked him and he chuckled, our eyes met and he looked back at her again.

" It's nothing Binta, I'm just tired" he said, and just then she grabbed his phone from his hand, and placed her hand in his. I clutched my fork hard.

"Are you sure? " she asked, everyone was busy interacting with each other, they didn't seem to notice the two of them, or maybe they just didn't care. Unlike them, I'm about to burst with anger.

"Of course, now eat your food! " he commanded, and she laughed a little,

"You know, I don't usually like going out with you guys that much, I only came because of you, and now you are ignoring me"  she said, looking at him with a little frown on her face. Daniel scratched the back of his head, lost of words, Up till now, they were still holding hands.

As if on cue, two ladies just walked into the restaurant, and I was surprised at this, I'm sure everyone at the table was, we haven't even spent up to an hour here. One of them was fair in complexion, she looks so beautiful, but she didn't look that happy, her blonde braided hair was in a ponytail, she wore a yellow feminine shirt and blue geans. While the other one was older, her brown skin was very beautiful, she wore a red floor length gown. All our attention turned to them, as they went to the counter.

"What rubbish! How can they allow this? We paid for this whole place. " One of my crew member said, and the rest agreed.

We noticed that the manager talked to them, probably telling them that the place is booked. But then to my surprise, he let them stay to buy what they wanted, e be like say them too get long leg (being influencial ).

"Omo, but that babe make sense oh" another one said, that was when Daniel's eyes went to the lady in question and he was stunned.

Just then, she turned around to our side, cause the older one whispered something in her ears. Her eyes met Daniel's, she looked a little surprised by this, and then her eyes went to his hand, holding Binta's, with that he quickly removed his hand from her's. She left her friend there and walked out of the restaurant, the other one couldn't go after her as of that time.

"Abeg shut up, you too like woman," Jaff said glaring at the guy, who only shrugged, Everyone laughed at this.
After that, she collected their orders, and then rushed out of the restaurant.

"Are you sure you are okay? " Binta asked Daniel and he just nodded. He stood up,

"I think I left my wallet in the car, I'll be right back " he said, and then he took huge steps out of the restaurant, I had a small smile playing on my lips. This love triangle is suddenly getting interesting.

* Sophia *

I've been calling Daniel for two days now but he wasn't not picking any of my calls. If it was before I wouldn't care, and I'm so angry that it bothered me. Uurgh! What is wrong with you Sophie? Get your acts together!

"Let's go Sophie " Lilian said, smiling at me. I sat on the couch in the living room pressing my phone, I wasn't in any mood to go out ever since the other night. And dad has been avoiding me, not that I care, actually he's the least of my worries.

"I don't feel like going " I said sternly, she sighed.

"Please Sophie, I don't want to go there alone, and you may never know this might make him talk to you " she said, and I scoffed. After scoffing, I immediately checked everywhere if he was around and he wasn't, phew!

"You are so funny, " Lilian said laughing at me, I rolled my eyes at her. "come on let's go, " she said, and this time she grabbed my hand without waiting for my reply.

Dad was craving his favourite restaurant food, he ordered the food a while ago, but no one came to deliver it, that was why we are going there. We reached the restaurant and the guards didn't want to let us through, Lilian kept on making phone calls, upon phone calls and now we were allowed in. Apparently a popular celebrity reserved the whole restaurant for himself, what a joke! His songs are really nice but his actions today, has made me to dislike him.

We entered the restaurant and went to the counter for our orders. We noticed them sitting over there chattering, I didn't even feel like looking at their table. The manager immediately came to us.

"Good afternoon Ma'am, I'm sorry but this place has been booked for three hours. So please kindly... " he was saying but then he stopped when he recognised who I was,

"Oh miss Sophia it's you! " he said excitedly and I nodded, " I'm sorry, please take your time, I'll take care of everything " he said,

"Thank you so much " I said, smiling, and he nodded, with that, he left. Actually not everyone knows that I'm my father's daughter. Only few people does, dad said that it's best if I keep my identity hidden, and I kind of love that, I have so much freedom because of it.

The workers were busy with our orders when Lilian told me to have a clear view of the famous Teddy, I didn't want to but she insisted and so I did. I turned around and saw what made my heart stop, and I'm not talking about the Teddy guy. There he was seated looking so handsome, ok focus Sophie! I didn't know that he was friends with Teddy, I guess I didn't know how wealthy my boyfriend is, I thought to myself. My eyes fell on his hand on another lady's and I thought I would pass out for a moment, my eyes started to water and with that, I left, with Lilian calling out my name.

I waited outside, close to dad's white G wagon at the parking lot, I started pacing back and forth. I quickly held back the tears, now I knew how he must have felt when he saw me with Ahmed. A while later, Lilian rushed to my side looking worried.

"What happened Sophie? Are you ok? " she asked, anger filled within me, and I did my best to hold it.

"I'm fine Lilian, I just needed some air.. " I said to her, and then I heard a familiar voice called out my name,

"Sophie, " Daniel said, as he catched his breath, he looked so worried, I turned to Lilian.

"Let's go Lilian " I said, totally ignoring him. She unlocked the door and sat at the driver's seat, I was about to sit when he stopped me.

"Please talk to me babe, I my sorry" he said, now holding both my hands, I glared at him. I tried to pull my small hands from his larger one but he wouldn't budge.

"Let go of me Daniel! " I said, and after a while of struggling he let me go and I slapped him, "I hate you! You are so unbelievable, what a liar! " I yelled at him and he sighed, Lilian got down from the car, and was now standing beside me.

"Is there a problem Sophie? " she asked looking at Daniel, I could tell that he was sad but I didn't care, he hurt me!

"it's nothing Lilian, He was just leaving " I answered, he nodded in understanding. He wanted to say something but I walked pass him and went into the car, Lilian also got in and with that, we left.

The ride back home was silent, I didn't want to talk about the scene that unfolded. We entered the compound, and noticed some unfamiliar car in the house,

"Looks like we have a guest" Lilian said,

"Yeah" I answered, we got down, and she held the takeaways in her hand. I went inside and she followed behind me.

"Aha! And here she is" dad said, excitedly, An elderly man around my dad's age came to visit. Lilian got on both her knees on the floor and greeted the man, and I rolled my eyes at her behaviour.

"Good afternoon Sir " she said,

"How are you my dear? You are just shining anyhow " he said in his thick yoruba accent, they all laughed. My dad also laughed and he was giving me a sign with his eye to go on my knees but I ignored him.

"Good afternoon! " I greeted smiling, and he just stared at me from head to toe, making me frown.

"Hello, Oyibo! " he said, smiling. And I stopped myself from rolling my eyes at him, I hate it when people call me that. "Wole, this your daughter is very fine oh, omo dada ni (a good child) " he said and I just faked a smile, my dad gave a small laugh, I'm so sure he wants to throw things at me right now.

" she takes after her mother " dad said still laughing, ok now he's faking it " in everything. Including her characters " he finished. Lilian stood up

"I'll quickly set the table " she said and with that, she went to the kitchen but not before whispering "We'll have a little chat later" to my ears. And with that, I went upstairs to my room and think about what had transpired today.

Re: Rich by Arookiewriter(f): 4:56pm On Nov 06, 2023

*Mr. Makun*

This daughter of mine is giving me a headache, I still cannot believe that she defied my orders yesterday. And now she came and kissed me good morning like everything is okay, this girl! She wore a light peach, short dress and white boots, her braided hair fell on her shoulders. And I wore a white senator's wears like I always do, We were currently at the dining table, it was passed 7 am.

"Good morning Sophie! " Lilian greeted her excitedly while dropping a tray of tea on the table, I couldn't stop myself from glaring at Lilian.

"Good morning Lilian, " she replied smiling and Lilian returned the smile, she sat down across from Sophie, while I sat at the head of the table. I cleared my throat.

"So between you and Lilian, who is supposed to greet the other? " I asked Sophie, and She shrugged.

"Dad, anyone can. It's just a greeting, it's no big deal" she said like it's the most normal thing in the world.

"Oh really? " I said and she nodded, "Well, that is how it is done in America, but you see this house, you must greet your elders whether you like it or not! " I said and she groaned, I continued, "And you must do it with respect, as a yoruba child, you must have complete home training. It's not me you will disgrace outside" I said.

" Come on dad, why are you making a mountain out of a mole? It hasn't gotten to that. Look if this is about yesterday, then I'm... "

"Don't even say those words because you don't know the meaning of it. You are alway sorry and you don't always mean any of it " I said the last part standing up. Lilian looked surprised at my actions.

"You haven't eaten your breakfast Sir" she said,

"I lost my appetite " I said and with that, I left the dining area. I have a lot to do as it is, why waste my precious time on that annoying child?

* Lillian *

I sighed deeply as he left without eating his breakfast, how will he work in an empty stomach? Oh well, I'll just bring some lunch to him later in the office. I care so much about him, I don't ever want to see him in any discomfort, I love this family so much, they are all I have in this world.

If you still haven't figured it out then yes, I love my boss. I know I'm not supposed to, but I couldn't help myself, he's so much older than me and I still don't know what I see in him anyways. I guess love is always like that, you just love someone for no particular reason. I couldn't bring myself to let him know about my feelings, I didn't want him to start treating me differently, and as it is, he has a girlfriend who he so much adores.

I've worked for him for a very long time, since I was 24. I've spent a lot of time working for him, that I didn't know when I started having feelings for him. I loved everything he loved, And when his daughter came back, we grew attached to each other naturally.

I taught her the basics she needed to learn in Nigeria, even when she couldn't eat our food, I would go online and try out different recipes for her, this made her dad so angry. I laughed at the thought, but now she can eat almost everything except swallow, she hates them. And she would always tell me everything, all her worries, and now that I think about it, she has started hiding some things from me, like that guy we saw yesterday.

"I'm off to school Lily " she said standing up, and I stood up too.

"Let me drop you off, I need to talk to you " I said, I've lost my appetite as well.

"I need to go with the car, or else how will I return? " She asked,

"I'll come pick you up! Come on let's go, i just really need to talk to you " I said, dragging her hand out with me.

* Sophia *

In the car, I was busy texting on my phone with Mira, Daniel kept on bothering me with calls, so I blocked him. I didn't want to have anything to do with a cheater like him, I'm done.

"So, " Lillian said, and I looked at her suspiciously, she looked at me and laughed, "I should be the one with that face on right now " she said making me laugh hard.

"Why? " I asked in between my laughter

"I think you already know why" she said and my smile faded, "Yeah, that's it" she concluded. "Who is he? How comes I didn't know about him? " she asked, slow down lioness!

"He's no one," I said, not recognising my own voice. She kept on staring from me, back to the road every now and then.

"Are you sure about that? If he isn't anyone then you wouldn't have reacted the way you did yesterday. I could tell that what he did hurt you so much, are you guys dating? " She asked, uugh! This woman.

"We were, but not anymore " I said sternly

"You broke up with him just yesterday? " she asked and I nodded yes. " And what did he say? I'm sure it didn't sit quite well with him"

"I don't care about what he's going through, I just don't want him anywhere near me. "

"Why don't you give him a chance to explain himself, you only saw them holding hands, nothing more. There's more than what meets the eye, and I'm sure that he loves you, I also know that you love him too" she finished and I jerked my head towards her out of surprise, she chuckled at my expression.

"Oh please Sophie! It's so obvious you both like each other. And I'm sure he loves you more, because that slap alone enh... It's not every Nigerian man that will take it like he did" she said and I rolled my eyes at her

"it's no big deal Lillian " I said, scrolling through my phone.

"Says who? I'm telling you the fact here Sophie, here in Nigeria, the men love respect. It just proves that he's not like the rest of them, he loves you a lot I'm sure about that." she said, and I sighed, I really don't want to have this conversation now. "And please don't go around hitting men like that, because not all of them will stay calm about it"

I just continued doing nothing in particular on my phone, but everything she said sank in. If only she knows that I'm not going to change my mind.

:::::::::::::::::::::::

After lectures were over, Mira and I decided to grab some lunch at the cafeteria, although I couldn't eat much, my mind was somewhere else. We ordered some noodles and omelets, Mira didn't waste anything to start eating.

"What's up with you? You look down" she asked, and I shrugged

"Nothing really, I'm just bored" I lied, she looked behind me and started smiling, making me frown. "What? " I asked,

"Ok, since you are not angry, let me use it as my cue to tell you about your secret admire. " she said, and I scoffed

"Tell me something I don't already know " I said, I can be pompous at times. She shook her head at me, and I drank my juice.

"This one is different, he has been on my neck for months. "

"Why can't he come to me directly? "

"I guess he's shy" she said, shrugging. "Can I give him your numb.. "

"Is he rich?" She rolled her eyes at me, but I didn't care "Does he have a nice car? " I asked, as well. She stared at me in disbelief.

"Come on Sophie, you already have all of those things. All you need is a good man to love you right " she said, and I shook my head in disagreement

"Let me tell you what, my dad's money ain't my money. And even if I have everything, I still can't be seen hanging out with paupers" she sighed out of frustration

"Now you see why he couldn't come to you directly? Because of all this" she said, gesturing her hand at me from head to toe.

"And he better don't! " I said, as a matter of fact.

"Well at least I tried " she said and continued eating while I scrolled through my phone.

She's the only friend I've got in this campus and I still don't know why is that. I guess we just clicked and there are so many people that wants to befriend me but I don't have that time and energy. And now she has the guts to talk to me about some random guy, she's so annoying I tell you. I was brought out of my thoughts by her again, and this time she called out my boyfriend's.. I mean ex's name.

"What is it now? " I asked, while raising my head from my phone, I met his beautiful eyes, stop it lady!

"Hi, " he said in a soft tone,

"What do you want? " I asked as I continued scrolling through my phone.

"Please Sophie, I just want to talk"

"Well I don't want to talk to you "

"Come on Sophie, go talk to him.. " Mira said, and I shut her up

"Can you not interfere in this? Thank you!" I said, he was still standing there and this caught some attention in the cafeteria, so I stood up.

I took my pink colour designers bag and walked out of the place. And he followed me, I reached outside the cafeteria, under some trees, the place was kinda scanty because classes were over for today.

"Sophie please talk to me, I'm sorry, please" he said from behind me but I didn't answer. Before I knew it he grabbed my hand,

"Sophie... " he was saying but I cut him off

"What? What? Why are you pestering me? " I asked, he looked so surprised.

"I'm sorry, please talk to me babe, I've been trying to call you but it looks like you blocked me"

"Yeah I did"

"Why? "

"And why wouldn't I? What's the use of the number when the owner is clearly seeing someone else? " I said, he was about to say something but I didn't let him, "Just take a good look at me, Daniel, do I look like someone that you can replace? Or someone that you can cheat on?"

"No, and that's because I would never do that to you I swear. You have no idea how crazy I am about you, I couldn't sleep well all these days " he said and I could tell that he wasn't lying, he had some dark circles under his eyes.

"And how is that my problem? Do I look like I care? " I asked looking dead serious.

"I'm sorry, she's just a colleague nothing more"

"And why were you holding hands with your colleague" I asked air quoating the word colleague with my fingers. He ran a hand through his hair.

"Please believe me Sophie, I ain't lying to you... "

"You know what, just save it. Cause I'm done! "

"What? " he already looked devastated,

"I'm breaking up with you " I said, and his eyes got teary

"You can't do this to us Sophie, please "

"I'm serious Daniel, so don't bother looking for me, or calling me" he fought back the tears, Before he could say anything else, I left him there. I felt so bad myself, and I didn't know why, I hated myself for loving him so much, get your acts together girl!

"Oh Sophie! You're up! " Lillian said excitedly, she was setting the table, it was evening already. I wore a pink sweater and black shorts. I just woke up feeling blue, she noticed my expression.

"Are you ok? " she asked, and I nodded, I sat on my side of the table.

"Where's dad? "

"I'm right here" he said from behind me, he walked in further and sat at his side of the table. "I was so surprised when Lillian told me that you were have a nap" he said, as Lillian served him Vegetable soup and three wraps of semolina I think.

I opened my plate and saw fried plantains and omelets, I smied.

"Your favourite! " Lillian said smiling at me, her smile faded when someone walked in on us, I turned to see that it was Mimi.

"Babe! " she exclaimed, while going towards dad, she hugged him while he was still seated and he hugged her back.

"How are you doing my love" he asked after breaking the hug, she pecked him on the lips which was so uncomfortable, especially for Lillian, who just stared down at her dish.

"I'm good, my darling. I missed you and so I decided to come stay for a few days" she said, Lillian moved to the next chair, and Mimi sat on her's, close to dad, she was now sitting across from me.

"Awesome! " he said, "please dish out some food for her Lillian" dad said to Lillian, who only nodded and started doing as she was told.

"Thank you Lillian," she said to Lillian and then she turned to me, "oh hi Sophie! I really missed you babe" she said pouting a little and I faked a smile. I just want some peace and quiet, but now that she's here, I don't think I'll get any of that.

Re: Rich by Arookiewriter(f): 4:57pm On Nov 06, 2023

* Daniel *

"You called for me" I said to Teddy, once I reached the living room, he was seated watching football. He grinned at me as soon as he saw me, however I couldn't return the smile, I was too heartbroken for that.

"Yeah I did, how's is it going? " he asked, and I just stood there, my hands behind my back. I could tell that he was up to something, I just didn't know what. He sipped his glass of red wine"Leave us. " he told his bodyguards and they reluctantly left. What does he want now?

"I noticed that you are a bit down these days, what is the matter? "he asked, looking at me intensely as if trying to read my reactions but I just shrugged.

"Nothing Teddy, I'm just trying to handle some personal problems, but I'll be alright" I said and he scoffed,

"Personal problems" he muttered more to himself, the smile never leaving his face. "What problem is that? If you don't mind me asking " he asked, but he didn't let me answer, "Anyways I'm sure you don't, so tell me" he said. I tried my best to keep my cool, my hands in my pocket,

"Nothing in particular, just trying to raise enough money to support my family that's all" I lied while looking at him straight in the eye.

"Are you sure that's the reason? I mean everyone else have that problem but you don't see them getting all moody" he said, and I breathed out deeply. He stood up, and took slow steps to where I stood, "Are you sure a lady is not involved? " he asked and I chuckled,

"A lady, come on Teddy! you know me better than that. I don't loose myself because of a woman, I make sure it's all fun and after that, we're done." I said like it's the most normal thing in the world, while deep down my heart was burning, "A woman can never be my weakness" I finished, and he had a small laugh.

"Alright I believe you, I mean I always do. We all know you and that all the girls always fall for you, and it's never the same on your part. You just use them and that's it" he said, his hands in his pocket. We were now standing toe to toe, nobody said anything for a while.

"Does that mean that you don't care about Binta at all?" he suddenly asked,

"We're just friends Teddy, and you know that. Besides I could never do that to her, she's a nice person."

"But it's quite obvious that she likes you, and you know that. So why are you not giving her a chance? Since she's a nice person as you said" he asked, I ran a hand through my hair.

"That's because I know you like her so much, and I can't betray you like that bro" I said but it doesn't look like he bought the lie. Not that I want to date her though, she is beautiful, but she's just not my spec.

"Alright then, so tell me who was that lady you met the other day at the restaurant? " he asked looking at me in the eye,

"What lady? "

"Don't act innocent in front of me Daniel. I clearly saw you, and I know you both know each other," he said getting all serious with me.

"She's a close friend Teddy" I said blankly, and he clapped.

"Wow, Daniel I didn't know you now have lots of famale friends. That's is so unlike you, " he said.

"What's with all these questions Teddy? What exactly are you getting at? " I asked, getting a little annoyed. He raised his hands up in surrender,

"Woah! Chill man, I'm just trying to know the whole situation before I push through with my plans" he said, leaving me confused.

"Plans? What plans?" I asked and he smiled.

"I like her" he said, I didn't want to believe it's who i think he is referring to. "Yeah I know you like Binta, like I said before I..
" I was saying, but he cut me off,

"No I mean your beautiful friend from the other day" he said grinning. I was stunned.

"You are joking right? "

"No I'm not, I'm damn serious here. She's totally my spec and it looks like she's kind of influencial for her to have been allowed to stay in the restaurant that day. I was really amused so I want to meet her" he said smiling at the thought of her. Over my dead body!

"I'm sorry Teddy but I don't think that would be possible" his smile faded,

"and why not? " he asked getting annoyed,

"Because I know her well, she won't... "

"She won't nothing! Ok? She'll be perfect for my next video. That's what I want from her, nothing more, I promise" he said, although I didn't buy what he said, but I let it go.

"I'll talk to her about it" I said and he grinned at me.

"That's more like it! " he said and gestured his hand towards me for a fistbump, and we did it. I already have enough on my plate, how am I supposed to get her to talk to me? I'm sure he's hiding something from me. I really don't want him to ever have anything to do with her.

* Sophia *

"I know that mom, of course I will" I said to her over the phone, she has been going on and on about how I'm giving my dad a hard time, when all I just want to do is to hang up on her. It's too early in the morning for mom talks.

"He said that? " I yelled in the kitchen, I can't believe that man. I came to get some water when her call came in, we hardly talk these days, and that's because we're both busy I guess. Mimi walked into the kitchen with a bowl of cereal in her hands staring at me, she wore a purple short gown, while I wore a black long-sleeved shirt and a pair of gean trousers. My hair was in a ponytail.

"Ok mom, I'll do as you say," I sighed, "Let's just talk later ok, bye" I said and hung up while she was still ranting, I'll deal with my dad later. Mimi was still looking at me, which got me upset.

"What? " I hissed at her and she shrugged, she stretched out her bowl of cereal to me.

"Want some? " she asked, I just stared at her blankly, she shrugged again.

"How's my rival doing? " She asked and I glared at her

"Ok my mom's not your rival, and she's married now in case you have forgotten"

"I know she is, that's why I'm curious to know if she's happy in her new home, since the last one didn't last long... "

"Enough Mimi, don't get on my nerves. My dad is all yours, so leave my mother out of it! " I scolded and she faked being hurt, her hand on her chest.

"Ouch! Sophie, when will you start calling me mom as well? Because the way things are going, things might become pretty serious very soon" she said staring at her fingers, I rolled my eyes at her. What's with some ladies and older men?

"Wow, I can't wait." I said in a casual tone, "But don't also wait for me to call you mom because that won't ever happen" I said sternly, pointing my index finger at her.
Clap! clap! clap!
We both turned to see that it was dad clapping, I gently brought down my hand out of shame, this is going to be a long morning.

* Mr Makun *

I went into the kitchen to look for Lillian, only to meet my young daughter pointing her finger at my girlfriend. I couldn't believe my eyes, I didn't know that it has reached this stage. So I did the first thing that came to my mind, I clapped and their attention turned to me, she slowly brought down her hand due to shock, this girl!

"Good morning dad" she greeted, I tried not to look at the fact that she didn't go on her knees,

"Wow, Sophia!" I said still clapping, "Wow! So it has reached this level? " I asked and she stared at the floor trying to look innocent.

"Is this what I taught you? To be pointing fingers at your elders? "

"Sorry dad" she said,

"I told you to stop saying those words! Because you are never remorseful, instead you continue to do more disrespectful things." Mimi chuckled,

"Don't be harsh on her babe, she's just a kid" she said walking up to me. She placed a hand on my shoulder, and I shook my head at my daughter.

"Please Sophie, when will you start doing things like an adult?" she just looked everywhere but at me, I know she just wants me to be done so that she can leave the kitchen.

"Sir you were looking for me? " Lillian asked from behind us, she looked so innocent and very beautiful this morning I must say.

"Yes I was, don't prepare anything this morning we're going to eat at a friend's place now" I said and she nodded, she always looked kind of awkward when Mimi is around, I wonder why is that?

"Where are we going babe? " Mimi asked, she was still clinging on me.

"Just a family friend's place, I want Sophie to meet someone" I said looking at my daughter, who now had a frown on her face. I left the kitchen before she could say something stupid.

::::::::::::::::::::

We were now at the dining table at the Adebayo's, he was my old friend, he's late now. His only son just returned from the states and Mrs. Adebayo and I are hoping to form an alliance, it would really make me proud if my small madam here agrees to this proposal. I know Miles won't have a problem with it because my daughter is every man's dream, I know this because he hasn't taken his eyes off her since we started having breakfast, he has definitely fallen for her. And did I mention that my daughter wore the same clothes she had on a while ago? Even after begging her for eternity to change them.

"So tell me about yourself Sophie," Mrs Adebayo asked her, she sat opposite Sophie, and her son was next to her side, followed by Lillian. While I sat in between Sophie and Mimi, who were both busy on their phones. Sophia raised her head from her phone and faked a smile.

" Actually, I have nothing to say about me, I'm just a woman trying to find her place in life " she said shrugging and Mrs. Adebayo smiled, I'm sure she likes her already.

"And how are you coping with living in Nigeria?" now Miles asked the question,

"It's very hot here, but all in all, I can't complain, everyone has been really nice since my arrival here. And I'm already getting adapted to this place." she said, ever so nicely, I'm sure that she's just holding herself back from doing something stupid which I really appreciate to be honest.

"Do you mind if we talk outside, I'm not that hungry and it looks like you aren't either" Miles asked her, Mimi flickered her eyeslashes to look at him clearly, probably thinking to herself, 'you don't want to do that man'. Sophie cleared her throat,

"Oh, actually I wasn't eating because the food is hot, but now I'm hungry so maybe next time" she said, smiling and then she started eating 'There is the daughter I know'

My daughter didn't care that she just turned one of the most richest eligible bachelor down, she just continued forcing herself to eat the food. Mrs. Adebayo was also surprised that she declined her son's offer, the place became utterly quiet. I decided to lighten up the atmosphere, imagine, at my age.

"So how is work like in the states? " I asked my future son in law, and he smiled

"It's very stressful managing the company over there. I just need someone to be my partner and help me grow the company" he said the last part looking at Sophie who only ate in silence while on her phone. I mentally hit my forehead, this girl will be the death of me.

* Sophia *

I'm super upset at my dad right now, how can he do this to me? me of all people, and he knows how insane I can be, I shook my head at the thought. Anyways, since he wants to marry me off to a rich guy, I'll make sure that I make him regret his decision.

Even though he is my dad, he has no right to make decisions for me, the last thing  on my mind now is marriage, I don't even know how to take care of myself properly, or even do household choirs hell! I can't even cook and yet he wants to marry me off. The guy in question is not even cute, he's already annoying me by asking stupid questions. He kept on stealing glances at me while licking his lips and doing all gross things, I felt like smacking him right there and then.

::::::::::::::::::

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rich by Ngiokiema(f): 5:34am On Nov 15, 2023
I can’t access the new ones you added.

(1) (Reply)

Sales / Rewards Reward! / Definition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 316
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.