Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,786 members, 7,831,543 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? (143 Views)

Grant Scams In Nigeria / What Pincer Pliers Are Common In Life? / 30 Of The Biggest Scams In Modern History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? by Rubyjade: 3:26pm On Nov 10, 2023

This scam was very popular in Lagos in the early parts of the last decade and it's finding it's way back. It's called The seven pillar/junction scam.

The protagonist of this scam usually involve a Seer and one or two testifiers.

My Experience

I was jejely returning to Lagos from school, I schooled in Delta state. I alighted from the bus in Ojota. Since I live in Ketu, I thought it's easier trekking the about 1.5km that separates the 2 bus stops rather than getting stuck in Lagos traffic, plus having sat in a bus for over 6 hours I could afford to stretch my legs with the stroll.

This was the Fashola Lagos where you don't have all those railings separating the road, so quite a number of people were trekking the distance also.

Now the scam. Maybe because I was just returning to Lagos, my awareness level was on high alert both spiritually and positionally.

In my case, an innocent looking middle aged woman approached me to seek direction to somewhere in Ikosi side of ketu to which I responded that I don't know that when she gets to Ketu bus stop, she should ask police officers to which she said thanks and started praying for me.

I continued walking briskly towards Ketu hoping to leave her behind, she was doing her very best to keep up and just before the overhead bridge that leads to Island, she was approached by the testifiers.

The aim of the testifiers is to give credence to whatever she says by laying claim that the visions she saw and instructions she gave concerning them in a prior meeting came off as she speculated.

Back to my story, in this case the testifier( a man also in his late forties to early fifties) was giving thanks that the seer helped him with something I can't recall as I was not paying attention to them. Then he tapped me to thank the Seer on his behalf. To which I did as now I under the bridge in the night around 8 I don't want to let any altercation happen in a place that dark.

Thinking I was conned by this antic, she proceeds to start giving prophecies about me, stating the obvious and guessing the rest of the guesses, none was correct but I played her into believing I'm jinxed by saying all was exact.

So getting to the park of the BRT in the Ketu side of the bridge, she said my non-existent Muslim step mother want to have me dead using diabolical means( truthfully, I'm from a polygamous family but we are all Christians) to which she said if I'm to be delivered, I would need to go to seven junctions in busy Lagos and shout Halleluyah, I can not take anything foreign on my body other than my clothes and footwear even my phone and bags I must drop. She said she would look after it for me and when I teased her that how am I to trust her, the accomplice the testifier said he will act as a watchman too.

Having had the conversation going a while now and my getting to the place I need to leave the middle pavement to cross and get a bus going home. I told them good night that I can't fall for that.

The look of shock on their face was priceless, I had informed them I had laptops (mine and that of a friend) in my bag and some other stuffs I own as a student, they must have been thinking of how to dispose them off in Computer village.

Lesson's learnt:

-Don't give direction to anyone, direct them to police officer.
-Don't call their bluffs if you are in an isolated area.
-Be discerning, not everything sounding spiritual is spiritual.
Footnote:

There are other scams in Lagos I have encountered or heard of, like:

The bonanza scam of Island.
The direction scam.

But in all this by been vigilant and not greedy, one will not fall prey easily.

Also, ensure you only ask for direction from uniformed officers do well to check the name on the badge too.

You can never be too careful in Nigeria.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? by Hamachi(f): 9:54am On Nov 11, 2023
1. Someone will call you claiming is from xyz bank and you should send your ATM pin
2. Someone will send a sms to you claiming you have won 5m
3. Once you enter a bus and they start talking about a man that's from Liberia and wants to change money baba nla scam
4. You visit a computer village/Alaba and you want to buy iphone 15/SmartTV for 32k, just know you will be given fufu in place of iphone/TV
5. You are in the market and you some people playing table tennis and say bros abeg if the egg touch the net and bounce back na wetin be that, and they show you wades of cash
6. You go to change money from unauthorized people, they would give you fake $
7. You are in the market (idumota) and you see people playing, scratch and win its pure scam

3 Likes

Re: What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? by QuinModah(f): 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2023
There is a saying in the local parlance, if you are not wise in Lagos, you cannot be wise anywhere in the world them don talk am say If u no wise

Part of the places in Lagos that you will learn lesson, Alaba International is one of them. I mean learning the hard way.

If you never learn from Alaba, then have it at the back of your mind that you are still not a Lagosian and you can easily fall for cheap game play.

Let me wait to read comments

3 Likes

Re: What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? by IyaTola: 7:12am On Nov 15, 2023
I am here to read comments.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? by Hamachi(f): 8:41am On Nov 18, 2023
wink
QuinModah:
There is a saying in the local parlance, if you are not wise in Lagos, you cannot be wise anywhere in the world them don talk am say If u no wise

Part of the places in Lagos that you will learn lesson, Alaba International is one of them. I mean learning the hard way.

If you never learn from Alaba, then have it at the back of your mind that you are still not a Lagosian and you can easily fall for cheap game play.

Let me wait to read comments
Re: What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? by Rubyjade: 3:29pm On Nov 19, 2023
undecided
IyaTola:
I am here to read comments.
Re: What Are Common Scams In Nigeria? by Rubyjade: 7:53pm On Dec 13, 2023
cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Tourism Fiji World / Funke Akindele's New Movie ‘A Tribe Called Judah’ Hits Nigerian Cinema On Decemb / See The Response I Got After Wishing Google Bard AI Happy New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.