Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? (8337 Views)

Short Codes To Check Your Mobile Numbers For Mtn,etisalat,glo And Airtel. / How To Download Youtube Video To Mobile Phone / DVB-H Brings Dstv To Mobile Phones. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by leMuhito(f): 9:38am On Oct 27, 2011
Its like you can now call up to 13 digit of a number and you would still get the same number,

I’m still baffled as I write this but I’ll like to know if there is a new trend in telecommunication in Nigeria which I’m not paying attention to.

I have two lines (Glo and Airtel). I experienced some network failure on my Glo line yesterday morning with a message “Sim Registration Failed“. But I’ve registered all my lines with NCC. Concerned, I changed all my contact addresses telephone number from my Glo to my Airtel line. But by 4pm, my Glo line was again functioning well so I just thought it’s just Network problem as usual.

Today, I tried calling my Glo line with my Airtel just to know if all is well with my Glo line because I was expecting a call from it but I haven’t received the special call then I mistakenly added another “1″ after the 12th digit of my number but the call still went through. Cornered, I replaced the last “1″ (now 13th digit) with 2 then repeated the step with 3,4,5,6,7,8,9…. and all the call still went through.

Read it here: Has Mobile Numbers In Nigeria Exceeded 11 Digits?
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by cchampme(m): 12:01pm On Oct 27, 2011
apart from that particular problem. the one that i am experiencing now is the one that your blackberry suddenly doesnt receive network coverage anymore, the thing tire me oh
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by dgr8truth(m): 12:07pm On Oct 27, 2011
Yes it change. The federal government has ordered them to increase the digit so the Bokites will not be able to memorize their numbers. It for security reasons. Hards times deserve hard majors, bear with the government. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by talk2hb1(m): 12:10pm On Oct 27, 2011
please explain better, I don't grab it do you mean adding two more digit to a number and you will still get your call through to the destinied number?
Explain plz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Suntemi(m): 12:23pm On Oct 27, 2011
leMuhito:

Its like you can now call up to 13 digit of a number and you would still get the same number,

Read it here: Has Mobile Numbers In Nigeria Exceeded 11 Digits?

It has been like that for so long.
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Wislet(f): 12:24pm On Oct 27, 2011
The eleven numbers are constant. Even if other numbers are added after the eleven or twelve (depending on the network you're using), it only recognizes the main eleven/twelve. E.g in a poor network area, if u add 11, , to the eleven numbers u want to call, it goes faster. Lol. No matter how many numbers u add after the standard number, only the original numbers are recognized, and therefore it still goes through. Understood?
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by teemon: 12:25pm On Oct 27, 2011
Mehn wonders shall never end o! angry
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
They are all messed up, except Etisalat, Am no longer a phone person anyway, too busy for that  undecided
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by dustydee: 12:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
it recognizes only the first eleven numbers without a code prefix
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by nairapark: 12:47pm On Oct 27, 2011
Ijogz K:

They are all messed up, except Etisalat, Am no longer a phone person anyway, too busy for that  undecided

Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by track247: 12:50pm On Oct 27, 2011
Nigeria's GSM number is eleven digits and thats what the network recognises. Any number you add is irrelevant as it only recognises the first eleven digits
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 27, 2011
@OP, here is it, when ever u add any digit(s) to an existing number registered in nigeria, when u diail the numbers, on getting to the connecting office of the network, the computer automatically select the first 11 numbers and leave the added b4 connecting you, so nothing wrong atall
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by goose1: 1:16pm On Oct 27, 2011
There is nothing wrong with that, its a coded system with 11 digits and once you get the first 11 digits right,your call will go irrespective of what ever you add after it. When it gets to the 11th digit, it processes the call.chikena!
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by KacHemNaU(m): 1:22pm On Oct 27, 2011
Mmmmm. Ok
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by blank(f): 1:28pm On Oct 27, 2011
It will tell u the number is incorrect. undecided
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Natasha2(f): 1:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
poster its not new I always do this especially in secondary school when ever I gave guys my numnber grin grin grin i made sure it was up to 14 and I'll be like well that's my number its up to you whether you want to call or not grin grin and they'll be like ''please don't do this give me your number grin grin grin grin grin, the as long as the first 11 digits are correct even though you add 5 extra numbers it will still go through
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by rhythyson: 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2011
"@ NATASHA a beg give me ya 14 digit numba grin grin grin
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by leMuhito(f): 1:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
cchampme:

apart from that particular problem. the one that i am experiencing now is the one that your blackberry suddenly doesnt receive network coverage anymore, the thing tire me oh

Thank God I'm not the only one experiencing that craze, But is it proper for that to happen?
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Natasha2(f): 2:02pm On Oct 27, 2011
rhythyson:

"@ NATASHA a beg give me ya 14 digit numba grin grin grin
if you like call this number in case na Devil pick up the phone na you sabi grin grin grin grin grin grin
but seriously you can try it now just use someone else's phone to holla yours and add two or three more numbers it'll still go through cheesy
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by edicolove: 2:06pm On Oct 27, 2011
As an ICT person, this is a blunder, not a plus like some of you want to make it look like. Take an example where i wanted to dial 08036774827 and I mistakenly add a wrong number, say 5 in between. That is 080367 5 74827. Now going by what we have now, it will automatically select 08036757482 and ignore the number 7. That is a recipe for confusion. That mean i will dial a wrong person who will anwer his call and probably tell me wrong number. But that again poses a security risk of its own. The system should always flag a wrong number once it is more than the regular number of digits.
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by leMuhito(f): 2:10pm On Oct 27, 2011
dgr8truth:

Yes it change. The federal government has ordered them to increase the digit so the Bokites will not be able to memorize their numbers. It for security reasons. Hards times deserve hard majors, bear with the government. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hi dgr8truth! Was this announced?
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by leMuhito(f): 2:19pm On Oct 27, 2011
talk2hb1:

please explain better, I don't grab it do you mean adding two more digit to a number and you will still get your call through to the destinied number?
Explain plz

Yes!!! Try it
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Natasha2(f): 2:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
Wislet:

The eleven numbers are constant. Even if other numbers are added after the eleven or twelve (depending on the network you're using), it only recognizes the main eleven/twelve. No matter how many numbers u add after the standard number, only the original numbers are recognized, and therefore it still goes through. Understood?
exactly
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by leMuhito(f): 2:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
sun_temi:

It has been like that for so long.

@sun_temi Well, I never knew but now I know. Do you think that's a good idea?

Wislet:

The eleven numbers are constant. Even if other numbers are added after the eleven or twelve (depending on the network you're using), it only recognizes the main eleven/twelve. E.g in a poor network area, if u add 11, , to the eleven numbers u want to call, it goes faster. Lol. No matter how many numbers u add after the standard number, only the original numbers are recognized, and therefore it still goes through. Understood?

@Yes mam!! Understood, cheesy

track247:

Nigeria's GSM number is eleven digits and thats what the network recognises. Any number you add is irrelevant as it only recognises the first eleven digits
Now noted sir!

odiaero:

@OP, here is it, when ever u add any digit(s) to an existing number registered in nigeria, when u diail the numbers, on getting to the connecting office of the network, the computer automatically select the first 11 numbers and leave the added b4 connecting you, so nothing wrong atall

Noted!
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Agybabe(f): 2:49pm On Oct 27, 2011
edicolove:

As an ICT person, this is a blunder, not a plus like some of you want to make it look like. Take an example where i wanted to dial 08036774827 and I mistakenly add a wrong number, say 5 in between. That is 080367 5 74827. Now going by what we have now, it will automatically select 08036757482 and ignore the number 7. That is a recipe for confusion. That mean i will dial a wrong person who will anwer his call and probably tell me wrong number. But that again poses a security risk of its own. The system should always flag a wrong number once it is more than the regular number of digits.
I don't think you get it. If you add a number(s) in BETWEEN is WRONG, but if added AFTER the number is RIGHT and will select the first 11 digits. Understood? Don't be confused.
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by edicolove: 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2011
Agybabe:

I don't think you get it. If you add a number(s) in BETWEEN is WRONG, but if added AFTER the number is RIGHT and will select the first 11 digits. Understood? Don't be confused.

Its important you dont make assertive statements except you are double sure. I dont think I am wrong or confused. You my friend dont understand the process

You cannot say a number added in between is wrong because, the system is not a mind reader to know if i am dialling a wrong number or not. I am amazed at your statement. The system selects the first 11 digits. Simple as that.

Secondly, you cannot select a number first, check if it is wrong before discarding the excess numbers. It cannnot work that way because sometimes, the number you are checking for, is on another network. So the system is set to copy the first 11 digits before dialling and it is the receiving server that indicates if a number is wrong or right. And if thenumber does exist, the receiving server will have to connect you because it cannot tell if you are calling the wrong number. The system does not read the human mind to know if the number you dialled is right or wrong. Na wa for you o!
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Wislet(f): 3:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
^^^ My dear i understand u. On a normal basis, it is supposed to read ERROR if it exceeds. But this is our beautiful network providers. Lol.
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 4:49pm On Oct 27, 2011
So, this explains the problem i've been having.
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 5:04pm On Oct 27, 2011
Wait until they start comparing it with Uk and America - something so easy and simple to understand, you call it the Naija problem.

Shio.
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by leMuhito(f): 6:59pm On Oct 27, 2011
afam4eva:

So, this explains the problem i've been having.

@afam4eva, What problem is that?

Does it means that calling other countries number with and extra number would put a call through or this na mainly Naija's problem?

Software guys? Please provide a solution and sell to them, If something is wrong, its wrong to other name,
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by dgr8truth(m): 8:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
leMuhito:

Hi dgr8truth! Was this announced?

Yes it was anounced. Oh! you are not aware? GEJ made a public broadcast at 2:00am. The reason he gave is that, He does not want the Bokites (Boko Haram) to be aware of the federal government measures to curb their excesses grin grin grin grin.
Re: What's Happening To Mobile Numbers In Nigeria? by Nymphnode(m): 3:48am On Oct 28, 2011
dgr8truth:

grin. That was really funny

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Lock Apps With Fingerprint On Any Infinix Phone Running Android 7 Nougat / Xiaomi Or Huawei Which Is Better? / Who Else Is Enjoying This From MTN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.