Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 (5895 Views)

Feb 2023 v Feb 2024: Prices Of Rice, Garri, Yam soar By Over 100% – NBS / Fuel Scarcity May Worsen As Marketers Threaten Strike / Fg’s Borrowing From CBN Hits N19tn, Inflation May Worsen – Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by Islie: 7:39am On Nov 12, 2023
Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen in Nigeria, Europe as NLNG Embarks on Plant Maintenance by February 2024

* Shutdown may impact FG’s planned $7bn dividend securitisation

The Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas Limited (NLNG) is planning a total shutdown of its six-train, 22 million tonnes per annum (MTPA)-capacity plant in Finima, Bonny Island, Rivers State over a proposed maintenance operation scheduled to commence by February or March 2024, investigation has revealed.

This routine exercise, it was learnt, may worsen the current shortages of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), better known as cooking gas, being suffered by Nigeria, as well the current inadequate supply of LNG to the European markets caused by the Russia-Ukraine War.

It will also potentially affect the federal government’s efforts to boost foreign currency liquidity in the economy and strengthen foreign exchange (FX) through the securitization of about $7 billion of Nigeria’s dividends from the NLNG.

THISDAY gathered from multiple sources that the gas liquefaction company is currently on mini shutdown as the engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contractor is carrying out mini maintenance on the plant.

The NLNG which is adjudged as the only successful Nigerian company with an element of government ownership, has been facing the challenge of under-capacity production due to feed gas supply shortages resulting from the rampant oil theft and pipeline vandalism in the Niger Delta.

This has not only impacted its gas delivery to the domestic and international markets but also its revenue generation, as the company had in July last year reported a Year-to-Date $7 billion loss due to under-capacity production.

In addition, the planned shutdown of operation for the maintenance may further delay the company’s plan to begin domestic LNG supply to the Nigerian market with an initial volume of 1.1 million tonnes per annum with effect from July 2022.

NLNG has been operating at roughly 50 per cent capacity for many months running and had lamented that the trend had dampened the hope of gas supply availability for its Train- 7 currently under construction, a project that has reached a 52 per cent completion level.

The liquefaction firm had also hinted that the gas supply shortages might hinder its planned expansion to Train-8 and beyond.
According to one of the sources, who spoke to THISDAY on condition of anonymity, NLNG’s plant is on “mini-shutdown” to enable us to carry out “Catalyst change-out”.

“But it’s not a major shutdown, it’s a mini shutdown because the major shutdown will be by either February or March next year. By then, they will stop operation totally until the maintenance is completed,” he added.

NLNG is a supplier of LPG to the Nigerian market and has committed 100 per cent of its LPG production, representing 40 per cent of the total cooking gas consumed by Nigerians annually, leaving the larger volume for import by the oil marketing companies.

The company disclosed recently that it had delivered about 380,000 metric tonnes of LPG so far this year, out of the 1.3 million tonnes per annum national consumption figure.

However, marketers, especially LPG plant owners have been complaining of supply deficit for the past several years, resulting in the hike in the retail prices.

Similarly, Nigeria, through the NLNG is one of Europe’s top LNG suppliers, and the country, as confirmed by the European Union (EU) exported 9.4 billion cubic meters (bcm) of LNG to Europe in 2022.

During a recent visit to the NLNG in Bonny, an EU delegation had indicated the imperative of reinforcing its diplomatic relationship with its reliable LNG partners like Nigeria in the short term to enable it to bridge the gas supply gap in the continent that resulted from the Russia-Ukraine War.

The EU’s Commissioner for Energy in Nigeria, Ms. Kadri Simson, who led the delegation, had revealed that Nigeria exported 9.4bcm of LNG to Europe in 2022.

Simpson, whose delegation took a tour of NLNG’s Central Control Room (CCR), the plant complex, and the Train-7 construction site, had also stated that there was potential to improve Nigeria’s gas supply to Europe between then and 2027.

However, NLNG declined to comment on the said shutdown of operation next year as its Media and Communications department did not respond to phone calls as of the time of filing in this report.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/11/12/gas-supply-constraints-may-worsen-in-nigeria-europe-as-nlng-embarks-on-plant-maintenance-by-february-2024?amp=1

2 Likes

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by Jestin: 8:12am On Nov 12, 2023
Why not make the product excessively available and cheap before embarking on routine maintenance?? This Tinubu regime will favour me and my family 😂. FTC

2 Likes

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by BCISLTD: 8:12am On Nov 12, 2023
If u can afford another gas cylinder...buy it and stock up...buy fuel in kegs....this may be the worst December ever.

I got some cheap samsung phones and game console for sale...check my profile

4 Likes

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by adesegun121(m): 8:14am On Nov 12, 2023
Ok

1 Like

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by BigBlackPreek(m): 8:14am On Nov 12, 2023
God help the masses in this country oh!

2 Likes

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by pstemma1990: 8:14am On Nov 12, 2023
grin since 2 months now, na bush I dey enter to gather firewood for cooking

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by crossfm: 8:15am On Nov 12, 2023
Hehehe.

Na to go buy extra cylinder grin.

Every small thing,na the poor go suffer am for Nigeria. Why not put in measures to cushion the effect of such maintenance.

We are not just proactive in Nigeria.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by Hezzyluv: 8:15am On Nov 12, 2023
So, no provisions to make the damn product excess and store it in the reserve before embarking on such maintenance?

Anyway, they want the price to go for #2,000 per/L and used this as excuse.

3 Likes

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by helinues: 8:16am On Nov 12, 2023
May don see shege.

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by yazz09(m): 8:17am On Nov 12, 2023
Please take this thing down. This is totally fake news

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by Ometere1978: 8:17am On Nov 12, 2023
God we dey yur hand o,charcoal to the rescue
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by ekanx27(m): 8:17am On Nov 12, 2023
We survived Buhari shege, we will survive Tinubu shege pro max

3 Likes

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by PUSSYHOE(m): 8:17am On Nov 12, 2023
grin

More suffering? Good
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by ENDTIMEISNEAR: 8:17am On Nov 12, 2023
More APC Thieftinubu certificate forger Shege banza hunger awaits Nigerians grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Thieftinubu wan finish Nigerians shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by BigBlackPreek(m): 8:18am On Nov 12, 2023
pstemma1990:
grin since 2 months now, na bush I dey enter to gather firewood for cooking
me I try buy hotplate for port Harcourt here since I started serving in this city in January.... God so good electricity is very good here and na light I dey take cook o. them go bring around 10-11 am today nai I wan take cook my beans and rice ..me dey use sense follow this our government , e remain small for don run commot PH say I no fit serve here 😂 😂 😂

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by ekanx27(m): 8:18am On Nov 12, 2023
After maintenance, they will the price again. Mark my word
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by Reference(m): 8:18am On Nov 12, 2023
Crisis news every day. Planned maintenance usually comes with planned build up of reserves in countries where people think.

I won't be surprised that those that buy the stuff abroad will not be affected but for us down here it is one tsunami after another.

3 Likes

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by piuspp(m): 8:18am On Nov 12, 2023
Big fat lie…u think to shut down a train is like turning off car engine 😂, Omo see news. U didn’t ask ur self, why shutdown six trains at a time when u can shutdown one at a time. And shareholders will be happy to be losing money 😂

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by zombieHUNTER: 8:18am On Nov 12, 2023
piuspp:
Big fat lie…u think to shut down a train is like turning off car engine 😂, Omo see news. U didn’t ask ur self, why shutdown six trains at a time when u can shutdown one at a time. And shareholders will be happy to be losing money 😂
undecided

This news is for the gullible zombies..
who swallow everything thrown at them by the evil propagandist administration..

May this constraint favour them and their families
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by halfcurren: 8:22am On Nov 12, 2023
Fake news
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by ProminentProm: 8:23am On Nov 12, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
God help the masses in this country oh!
Since Tinubu becomes three president. Nothing has been working. Man is really dumb
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by vastolord4(m): 8:23am On Nov 12, 2023
Funny... And the same excuses circle.. as massive as Nigeria is, they keep telling stupid lies.. imagine your grandpa telling you "the reason he's cripple is because he shot himself in the leg"!!!.. we have very bad leaders

1 Like

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by JimohMomoh: 8:24am On Nov 12, 2023
FG always use crude oil price as benchmark for budget planning, the question is what about money from Gas.

Price of Gas went up since the Russia Ukraine war started but FG never disclose how much they made from exporting Gas.

Billions are looted daily but nobody is asking questions including the National Assembly
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by BigBlackPreek(m): 8:24am On Nov 12, 2023
ProminentProm:
Since Tinubu becomes three president. Nothing has been working. Man is really dumb
it's looking like he's even confused or something

1 Like

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by Nokio2: 8:25am On Nov 12, 2023
Tinubulation pro max
I notice say lizard no dey our compound again dem too Don reach Canada?shou
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by pstemma1990: 8:27am On Nov 12, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
me I try buy hotplate for port Harcourt here since I started serving in this city in January.... God so good electricity is very good here and na light I dey take cook o. them go bring around 10-11 am today nai I wan take cook my beans and rice ..me dey use sense follow this our government , e remain small for don run commot PH say I no fit serve here 😂 😂 😂
my brother e no funny, even a bag of charcoal is now 4,500 naira.. If I use my money by charcoal or gas, which one I go come take buy food...

I've already asked a friend to look for a small farm land for me, next year I'll be going into farming.

Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by ufuosman(m): 8:29am On Nov 12, 2023
Hmmm dis country na wa
Re: Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 by Boyooosa(m): 8:30am On Nov 12, 2023
Nawa

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bankole For Ministerial Appointment ! / Jubilation In Yenagoa As Police Seal Up Government House / Dangote To Receive ‘pride Of Africa Award’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.