Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? (428 Views)

2023: APC States Denying Us Use Of Public Facilities, PDP Campaign Cries Out / APC Number of Delegates Per Geo-political Zone And State / Sanwo-olu Launches One Project Per Ward For Grassroot Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:12pm On Nov 12, 2023
Instead of having a general elections let us select 10 people from each ward, they would be the ones to vote in a presidential, gubernatorial and National Assembly elections.

As we have 10,000 wards nationwide it means that 100,000 delegates would select our president and a samaller number would select the governor and down to the National Assembly.

3 Likes

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:13pm On Nov 12, 2023
This election of 11/11 is nothing to write home about.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by Mynd44: 8:19pm On Nov 12, 2023
Do you really understand what an electoral college system is?

9 Likes

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:27pm On Nov 12, 2023
Mynd44:

This is a form of electoral college, not necessarily USA Electoral college. Indirect representation. What China, the ANC in South Africa and SWAPO in Namibia is a form of electoral college.

In China, SA, and Namibia it hierarchical in nature. They know who would be d next president in ANC & SWAPO if there president steps down.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by spy24(m): 8:27pm On Nov 12, 2023
That one eh

The rigging go loud!!

3 Likes

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:31pm On Nov 12, 2023
spy24:
That one eh

The rigging go loud!!

There is no rigging, if you want to buy all 100,000 delegates then it is up to them. U can give them money, that does not mean they would vote you. They would just take your money. The voting would be by secret ballots.

Look at d senatorial elections , look how close it was despite some people saying they would vote for Akpabio about 5 senators renegade.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by WhizdomXX(m): 8:32pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:
Instead of having a general elections let us select 10 people from each ward, they would be the ones to vote in a presidential, gubernatorial and National Assembly elections.

As we have 10,000 wards nationwide it means that 100,000 delegates would select our president and a smaller number would select the governor and down to the National Assembly.
Supported. Let it be by LGAs and subject to review according to population and contribution to the nations GDP and sovereign wealth.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:37pm On Nov 12, 2023
WhizdomXX:

Supported. Let it be by LGAs and subject to review according to population and contribution to the nations GDP and sovereign wealth.

No u can’t throw it all open to every dick and harry, ward by ward, educated electorates. Throwing elections open to stack illetrates is not d best. Most Western democracy we copy have high literacy rate. So let enlighten people select our president.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by spy24(m): 8:40pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:

There is no rigging, if you want to buy all 100,000 delegates then it is up to them. U can give them money, that does not mean they would vote you. They would just take your money. The voting would be by secret ballots.

Look at d senatorial elections , look how close it was despite some people saying they would vote for Akpabio about 5 senators renegade.

The way you people reason just dey weak person...

So you think that an electoral college will be different 🤣🤣

So the wuruwuru that goes on in party primaries has not convinced you ?

5 Likes

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:43pm On Nov 12, 2023
spy24:

The way you people reason just dey weak person...

So you think that an electoral college will be different 🤣🤣

So the wuruwuru that goes on in party primaries has not convinced you ?

Wuruwuru will always go on but it would be secret ballot. They can take your money and still shenck you.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by Hedonisco: 8:44pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:

No u can’t throw it all open to every dick and harry, ward by ward, educated electorates. Throwing elections open to stack illetrates is not d best. Most Western democracy we copy have high literacy rate. So let enlighten people select our president.

But the idiots in INEC and the Judiciary are not "stark" illiterates". And you know the role they play.

Our problem is colossal. We need armageddon, followed by a re-birrth. Nothing short of such a brutal, drastic, renewing reset can salvage this cursed system/country in our lifetime. The only 'peaceful' alternative is time-dependent evolution. Unfortunately all of us on this forum and perhaps our children would NOT be alive to witness the futuristic eldorado we crave if we prefer to follow the 'evolution' route..
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:45pm On Nov 12, 2023
This system you don’t need parties. It would be a one party state like china. The 10 ward delegates represent all parties.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by seunmsg(m): 8:52pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:
This system you don’t need parties. It would be a one party state like china. The 10 ward delegates represent all parties.

How will the delegates be chosen?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 8:55pm On Nov 12, 2023
seunmsg:

How will the delegates be chosen?

You choose the 10 most educated person per ward, I think by consensus would be ok after all we are all African. That is d way Africa do things b4 d white men came.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by seunmsg(m): 8:58pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:

You choose the 10 most educated person per ward, I think by consensus would be ok after all we are all African. That is d way Africa do things b4 d white men came.

The most educated as in the top ten most educated people in the ward? In a ward with over 100 PHD holders and professors, how do you select the ten most educated among them?

3 Likes

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 9:01pm On Nov 12, 2023
seunmsg:

The most educated as in the top ten most educated people in the ward? In a ward with over 100 PHD holders and professors, how do you select the ten most educated among them?

If a consensus cannot be agreed upon then they go into an electronic voting using their phones. Since d catchment area is small, it would not be difficult to manipulate. Since population of a ward cannot be more than 10,000 people.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by seunmsg(m): 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:

If a consensus cannot be agreed upon then they go into an electronic voting using their phones. Since d catchment area is small, it would be difficult to manipulate. Since population of a ward cannot be more than 10,000 people.

And only educated people will participate in the voting, right? So, How do you define these “educated people” who have the right to vote?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by omenka(m): 9:07pm On Nov 12, 2023
Mynd44:
I was about to ask the same question.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by omenka(m): 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:

1. What defines "most educated"? What indices/criteria would be used to assess the people's degree of education and enlightenment?

2. What process/mechanism would be used to arrive at this "consensus"?

3. Who would be the people involved in this process?

What you're suggesting seems perversely counterintuitive my dear friend.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 9:28pm On Nov 12, 2023
omenka:

1. What defines "most educated"? What indices/criteria would be used to assess the people's degree of education and enlightenment?

Basically we are introducing Nigerians into politics bureau phenomena. As a one party state only people who can contribute meaningful in discussion would be allowed to vie for the delegation post. As I already said once consensus cannot be reached an electronic voting using our phones would be deployed by only residential members of d ward.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by omenka(m): 9:34pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:

Basically we are introducing Nigerians into politics bureau phenomena. As a one party state only people who can contribute meaningful in discussion would be allowed to vie for the delegation post. As I already said once consensus cannot be reached an electronic voting using our phones would be deployed by only residential members of d ward.
You didn't quite answer my questions.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 9:39pm On Nov 12, 2023
omenka:

I have answered your question, once a consensus is impossible then electronic elections would ensue by using our phones since d catchment area would be limited to d ward and only residents living within d ward be eligible to partake.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by Mynd44: 10:01pm On Nov 12, 2023
KnowAll:

I knew you were heading here. This is plain censorship and blatant classism and it will not stand.

What you and your elk want is a country where you can look down at people because theu didn't have an opportunity to be educated hence you seek to take away their right to vote. You want to take their voice because you see them as less than humans and so their talk cannot be meaningful.

Unfortunately for you the very first things the constitution set out is that every Nigerian has equal right to be heard (no matter how senseless you consider what they have to say) and they can be heard by that vote.

Do you believe you are contributing meaningfully right now? Because to me, you are not. Taking people's right to vote based on educational level isn't meaningful in my books, it is just discrimination

1 Like

Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 1:21am On Nov 13, 2023
Mynd44:

I knew you were heading here. This is plain censorship and blatant classism and it will not stand.

What you and your elk want is a country where you can look down at people because theu didn't have an opportunity to be educated hence you seek to take away their right to vote. You want to take their voice because you see them as less than humans and so their talk cannot be meaningful.

Unfortunately for you the very first things the constitution set out is that every Nigerian has equal right to be heard (no matter how senseless you consider what they have to say) and they can be heard by that vote.

Do you believe you are contributing meaningfully right now? Because to me, you are not. Taking people's right to vote based on educational level isn't meaningful in my books, it is just discrimination

The current system where the elites hijack everything. Look at imo elections d guy wrote the results winning all lg areas. If he has to contend with some 3000 higher intelligent delegates from d ward, it would not be east for him. Because even if you bribe them, they might stab you at d back by voting someone else.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by KnowAll(m): 1:50am On Nov 13, 2023
seunmsg:

And only educated people will participate in the voting, right? So, How do you define these “educated people” who have the right to vote?

The voting is open to everyone in d ward but only educated ones would be drafted for elections. Minimum a back degree or it’s equivalent.
Re: Let Us Use Electoral College - 10 Ward Delegates Per Ward??? by OlujobaSamuel: 3:36am On Nov 13, 2023
This your thoughts isn't for good but discrimination.
It means you want only the rich to vote and be voted for.
You probably don't know how much Dem dey pay as tuition fee for good schools in order to get good education, also some without matric number go buy 1st degree to PhD and you no fit do anything about it

(1) (Reply)

Another Oba Killed In Northern Nigeria / The Stupidity Of Government Trying To Set Prices Of Goods / Who Remembers The 'You-Chop-I-Chop' Party?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.