Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

I Feel Scammed! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Feel Scammed! (718 Views)

Deep Down Inside Me, I Feel Guilt And Hated Myself For What I Have Been Doing / How I Was Scammed By A German Company (payever) / I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Feel Scammed! by Darevofpeace(m): 8:45am On Nov 14, 2023
So for the first time yesterday I found out that Nigerian actress Funke Akindele acquired a PRIVATE JET in the second quarter of this year.

It allegedly cost $1M (US dollars). (I haven't verified the cost).

And for your information, Funke is the FIRST NIGERIAN ACTRESS IN HISTORY to achieve such luxury. Own a private jet.

I was really happy for the talented actress. And then I was pleasantly surprised because I never really imagined that acting could fetch someone such luxury. Clearly I was wrong. And to be honest I am glad I was wrong.

She read Law (just like me) but did not bother to attend Law School after graduation because she knew acting was what she wanted. And now after 15 years of consistent acting and producing entertaining content, she proudly owns a private jet. Imagine how much you'd have to be worth to be able to afford that.

Now I personally feel SCAMMED.

I feel like our parents, formal school system and the government lied to us when we were kids.

All the things they tried to discourage us from doing as little kids happen to make people richer and financially free more than the ones they sang praises about.

Acting.
Singing and dancing.
Playing football.
Playing basketball.
Comedy and Skits-making.
Etc.

....are producing more multimillionaires than...

Medicine and surgery.
Engineering.
Accounting.
Law.
Computer science.
Etc.

How many successful medical practitioners, engineers or lawyers do you know in Nigeria who currently owns or can afford a private jet? Tell me if you know.

I'll wait.

They were just plain wrong and they should eat the humble pie and apologise to us. I am talking about our parents and the formal school system.

As it turned out, and contrary to their regular drumbeat, formal education was never the best pathway to financial security and/or financial freedom. They clearly didn't know what they were talking about in those days. They were just making up sh*t up.

But you cannot blame us for listening to them and believing them. We were kids and we naturally assumed that adults understood or should understand life better and further assumed that they knew what they were talking about. We assumed wrongly.

Formal education has its place and functions in the world, but making you rich or financially free is not one of them. Know that today and know peace.

I am a practising lawyer today and I am proud, but I will not sell the same lies they sold to me to my kids. I would be a wicked father to do so.

During the course of my legal practice I have rejected many offers to become a model, an actor and so on. I was just too enamoured with Law to consider them. Today I feel I made a colossal mistake.

I was in a banking hall once to go and deposit my monthly N18k for a land I was buying at the time, out of my meagre N70k salary, when this young woman approached me. She said she worked for a modelling agent and would like to work with me as a model and possibly an actor. I appreciated her offer but declined.

I was in Court one time for a case. Coincidentally some Nollywood producers had a matter in the same court on the same day. I could recognise a few faces among them. One of the well known ones in Nollywood started chatting me up before the Judge came in and complimented my appearance. He said I looked like someone who should be acting. I felt flattered, smiled but didn't take him seriously. As far I was concerned I was cool with Law.

Today I wish I had taken those offers seriously. At least I should have given them a shot before dismissing them outrightly.

To my credit, however, I did try modelling twice but I think I fell into the wrong hands, particularly the second one. That one just scammed me.

Most people don't know this, but I am quite an actor. I acted in Secondary School as a Literature Student. I played the lead role of King Odewale in the popular play "The Gods Are Not To Blame" written by the Novelist Ola Rotimi. It was part of our curriculum. I had to act and I stood out.

Again, I didn't take all that seriously because they told me that becoming a Lawyer was the best chance at achieving respect and financial success.

Let's not even delve into lawyers' fees and/or earnings in Nigeria at this time. It will depress you. Other than Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SAN), which is not handed out on a gold platter, majority of lawyers earn like paupers. I kid you not.

It was so bad that the former Attorney General of the Federation and the Legal Practitioners Remuneration Committee in May of this year had to review the charging scale of lawyers upward. The same legal profession that they told us as kids was the path to financial success had become a guarantor of poverty, and the system needed to act fast.

Funke Akindele is one of the lucky few. She ditched Law for acting and today I, a practising lawyer, am writing about her remarkable financial success on Facebook. An actress who bought a private jet in Nigeria.

I guess Funke saw the signs early and made hay while the sun still shone. I guess the prayers of her ancestors bailed her. She avoided the trap that most of us gleefully walked into. How could she have been so lucky except the prayers of her ancestors worked. I congratulate her.

The good news here is that we (at least I) have learned our (my) lessons. What happened to us must not happen to our kids. The conventional lies that derailed us and limited our imagination must not happen to our children.

We owe them that much.

#truthissacred
Selah.
Re: I Feel Scammed! by Connoisseur(m): 8:54am On Nov 14, 2023
How many actresses like her own private jets?
She is not a yardstick but an exception.
You as a lawyer is doing better than a vast majority of Nigerian actors.
It's okay to think this way @op, just don't dwell on it for too long

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Scammed! by liminna(m): 9:58am On Nov 14, 2023
With courts and cases everywhere does acting give your children a better chance at success? Media have messed up your reasoning.
Re: I Feel Scammed! by Blackmoran(m): 8:39pm On Nov 14, 2023
You seemed to get carried away and it seems you are so bad in mathematics.... Me wey dey talk sef no be say I good for maths..
In reality the average people in the whole wide world that live this luxurious lifestyle, like the politician, high ranking sport athlete, artist whatever high level career you can achieve... Are not up to 5 percent of the world population....
The only difference is that insaner climes the difference between the rich and the poor is that the poor or middle class have easy access to basis amenities.... Such like education, housing , health insurance... Pride full jobs.. good transport system... And good government...
Is only in this part of the world you see people owning a car is like they have make heaven......
Re: I Feel Scammed! by wittywriter: 6:13am On Nov 15, 2023
Blackmoran:
You seemed to get carried away and it seems you are so bad in mathematics.... Me wey dey talk sef no be say I good for maths..
In reality the average people in the whole wide world that live this luxurious lifestyle, like the politician, high ranking sport athlete, artist whatever high level career you can achieve... Are not up to 5 percent of the world population....
The only difference is that insaner climes the difference between the rich and the poor is that the poor or middle class have easy access to basis amenities.... Such like education, housing , health insurance... Pride full jobs.. good transport system... And good government...
Is only in this part of the world you see people owning a car is like they have make heaven......
OP lacks critical thinking ability.

Wittyness.

(1) (Reply)

Dynamics Of Examination Success! / Please Help:urgent Advice Needed / Certifications: Computer Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.