Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,828 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? (5963 Views)

Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit / Top 5 Cars The Nigerian Police Are Usually Afraid To Stop At Checkpoints / The New Innoson Vehicles Acquired By The Nigerian Army (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by Jetline: 4:44pm On Nov 14, 2023
Hi Nairalanders,
I am really confused about the subject matter. I sent my cousin to register a new vehicle we cleared this month. He said the FRSC officer he met at the licensing office in a branch in Lagos said the ECMR has been discontinued. I put a call across some friends who went to another licensing office in Lagos. The story is different there- they still issue ECMR for new vehicles.
Please, is there anyone here who recently registered a vehicle(maybe this month)? Did you get ECMR in your registration papers?
NB: I am not on ground to do more findings.
Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by asumo12: 10:56am On Nov 18, 2023
wink

1 Share

Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by 9icetoo(m): 4:15pm On Nov 19, 2023
Jetline:
Hi Nairalanders,
I am really confused about the subject matter. I sent my cousin to register a new vehicle we cleared this month. He said the FRSC officer he met at the licensing office in a branch in Lagos said the ECMR has been discontinued. I put a call across some friends who went to another licensing office in Lagos. The story is different there- they still issue ECMR for new vehicles.
Please, is there anyone here who recently registered a vehicle(maybe this month)? Did you get ECMR in your registration papers?
NB: I am not on ground to do more findings.

The truth is that there is no law that makes ecmr compulsory.

The road traffic act clearly stipulates the documents you need to operate your motor vehicle. They are, vehicle license, road worthiness (exception for brand new cars for 5 years) and 3rd party insurance at a minimum.

Proof of ownership wasn't even mentioned but is a document an owner should have but necessarily on him all the time but this is Nigeria so I gues you should have it nearby in case an overzealous policeman decides to try his luck.

The NPF will not win in court if they sue you for not having ECMR, but here we are in a country where the people who are meant to keep and uphold the laws don't eve know the laws!!!

Get it if you can, if you can't, get sections of the act that set up the NPF (referring to their duties with respect to traffic etc) and sections of the Road Traffic Act that specifies documents a vehicle owner should have.

My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by Jetline: 11:05am On Nov 20, 2023
9icetoo:

The truth is that there is no law that makes ecmr compulsory.

The road traffic act clearly stipulates the documents you need to operate your motor vehicle. They are, vehicle license, road worthiness (exception for brand new cars for 5 years) and 3rd party insurance at a minimum.

Proof of ownership wasn't even mentioned but is a document an owner should have but necessarily on him all the time but this is Nigeria so I gues you should have it nearby in case an overzealous policeman decides to try his luck.

The NPF will not win in court if they sue you for not having ECMR, but here we are in a country where the people who are meant to keep and uphold the laws don't eve know the laws!!!

Get it if you can, if you can't, get sections of the act that set up the NPF (referring to their duties with respect to traffic etc) and sections of the Road Traffic Act that specifies documents a vehicle owner should have.

My 2 cents.

Thank you for your input. I have the ECMR in my previously registered car. But the point is, the licensing office said because the police has suspended it, if they find it among my vehicle registration ( for new registration) ,they will query me where I got the document. Honestly, I don't know who to believe again. That's is why I am asking whether anyone who registered a vehicle recently has the ECMR.
Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by TheAdvocate(m): 1:35pm On Jan 07
It's ongoing. I did mine just yesterday and paid N5,000 plus using Remita. Am waiting for the certificate because it's "processing."

Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by delan40(m): 9:56am On Jan 24
TheAdvocate:
It's ongoing. I did mine just yesterday and paid N5,000 plus using Remita. Am waiting for the certificate because it's "processing."
Good morning, how long does it take to process thanks.
Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by bro1: 2:29pm On Jan 24
delan40:
I did mine last week, it took less than 72 hours.
Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by TheAdvocate(m): 5:19pm On Jan 24
delan40:

It took 2 days because it was a weekend & payment was by Remita so they needed to verify on a working day. It's seamless.
Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by delan40(m): 9:16pm On Jan 26
TheAdvocate:

It took 2 days because it was a weekend & payment was by Remita so they needed to verify on a working day. It's seamless.
Thanks bro, I got it within few hours

1 Like

Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by TheAdvocate(m): 9:44pm On Jan 27
delan40:
Thanks bro, I got it within a few hours
Welcome sir.
Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by TheAdvocate(m): 8:45pm On Jan 30
delan40:
Thanks bro, I got it within few hours

NBA write IG to stop it because it's illegal. Matter unfolding presently.
Re: Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? by 9icetoo(m): 8:25am On Jan 31
TheAdvocate:

NBA write IG to stop it because it's illegal. Matter unfolding presently.

About time. Eagerly awaiting the outcome.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Steps In Renewing Your Vehicle Papers / DIY *BMW 318ci N42 Vanos Seal Replacement / How To Buy A Nigerian Used Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.