Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,800 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded (17046 Views)

‘why NCAA Grounded Obi Aircraft’ / Peter Obi's 'Obidient Plane' Grounded By 'Powers That Be' — Head Of Media / IPOB Sit-At-Home: Commercial Activities Grounded In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Ikaeniyan0: 5:51am On Nov 15, 2023
The nationwide strike initiated by the Nigeria Labour Congress commenced on Tuesday, revealing partial compliance within various sectors of the economy.

The NLC, in collaboration with its affiliate, the Trade Union Congress, declared an indefinite strike starting from November 14, 2023.

The decision to launch the strike was driven by alleged infractions and encroachments on workers’ rights, including the assault on NLC President Comrade Joe Ajaero and the government’s persistent refusal to implement agreed-upon measures.

Additional grievances encompassed the non-payment of backlog salaries, pensions, discriminatory salary practices, and non-compliance with the national minimum wage.

Despite an ex-parte application filed by the Federal Government and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice seeking to restrain the unions from proceeding with the planned strike, approximately 19 unions defied the court order.

This defiance raises questions about potential implications across various sectors and the government’s response to the workers’ demands..

The extensive array of participating unions, spanning education, healthcare, telecommunications, local government, judiciary, banking, maritime, electricity, parliamentary staff, and railway workers, underscores the far-reaching impact and solidarity characterizing the ongoing nationwide strike.

In September, the Organised Private Sector of Nigeria issued a warning to the NLC and TUC, underscoring the substantial threat that strike actions pose to the country’s economy.

Expressing concerns about potential adverse effects on economic stability, the private sector urged a reconsideration of such actions to safeguard the nation’s economic interests.

Port activities grind to a halt

Licensed customs agents and other port users at the Apapa, Tincan Island, and other ports in Lagos were denied access due to compliance from the Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria.

Observations on Tuesday revealed a complete shutdown of all commercial activities at the ports.

The Union had announced its intention to participate in the nationwide strike, citing various grievances and infractions against workers’ rights.

In a statement on Monday, the Head of Media of MWUN, John Ikemefuna, conveyed that the strike directive came from the National Executive Council meeting of the NLC.

The decision was a response to perceived government infractions, including the abduction and assault on NLC President Comrade Joe Ajaero, non-payment of salaries and pensions, and the government’s failure to implement agreements.

Affirming their commitment to the nationwide strike as an affiliate of the NLC, Ikemefuna expressed readiness to join the broader labor action.

Reacting to the development, Sikiru Remilekun, the Youth Leader of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents, Tincan Island Chapter, issued a notice instructing members to stay at home until further information is provided.

In a public notice, Remilekun stated, “All terminals are shut down pending the discussion and outcome of the meeting with the federal government. Please, all clearing agents should stay home and listen to news and genuine information if it will still be held or continue tomorrow.”

The Ports and Terminal Multipurpose Limited Chapter Chairman of the National Association of Government Approved, Thomas Alor also confirmed the situation, stating, “There is no activity here, no operations everywhere; they are not working. I have even left the place now heading home.”

Aviation

The aviation industry opted out of the ongoing nationwide strike, citing a lack of preparations as the decisive factor.

Operations at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja continued without disruption, with no reported flight cancellations

The General Secretary of the Air Transport Services Senior Association of Nigeria, Francis Akinjole, in an interview with The PUNCH clarified the sector’s stance, stating, “We will join, but we have not actually sat down to decide on that.

“We have a way of doing our own things. We don’t just embark on a strike without adequate preparation.”

Akinjole highlighted a logistical challenge facing the aviation unions, pointing out that one of their member unions is holding a delegate conference in Benin City starting from Wednesday.

He emphasized the need for a coordinated approach, stating, “We cannot be in Benin and enforce a strike in Lagos. So, we have to meet and decide on how to go about it.”

Acknowledging their alignment with the issues at hand, Akinjole recalled a similar scenario five years ago during the NUATE (National Union of Air Transport Employees) National Delegate Conference in Asaba.

He noted that despite a national strike, aviation unions were engaged in activities in Asaba, highlighting the sector’s commitment to strategic and well-organized decision-making.

Akinjole concluded by assuring that all aviation unions would convene to address the current situation, emphasizing the sector’s seriousness in dealing with pertinent issues.

NUATE, one of the key unions, has already taken its place at the ongoing delegate conference, raising questions about the aviation industry’s unique approach during times of nationwide labor actions

Power sector records partial compliance

Power sector workers participated in the nationwide strike. While the power grid remained operational, reports indicated that only essential electricity workers were permitted to work at power stations.

The acting General Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees, Dominic Igwebuike, confirmed that power sector workers withdrew their services at various power stations, except for essential services. However, essential workers would join the strike if it persists.

Igwebuike’s statement was supported by the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company, which announced the temporary closure of its offices due to the strike, noting that essential services would remain uninterrupted.

Addressing claims of a blackout and grid shutdown, the Transmission Company of Nigeria emphasized that reports suggesting a national blackout were false and misleading. The company clarified that the nation’s power grid was intact and actively supplying electricity to distribution load centers nationwide.

NUBIFIE in some states join, Lagos opts out

Speaking in an exclusive interview with The PUNCH, the Senior Deputy General Secretary of the National Union of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institution Employees, Mr Aboderin Olusola, said so far there has been compliance of banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions in so many states like Bayelsa, Kano, Osun, Edo, Abuja and others.

He said, “We have about 85 per cent compliance, however, the challenge we as a body is that most of these public sector unions especially Lagos, did not comply.”

According to him, for example in Lagos, banks opened their offices earlier in the day and goods were going about their normal business, local government and hospitals opened, most of the public sector unions did not join the strike, and nobody enforced compliance, though our union would move round to ensure that union members in Lagos would comply and just the strike as long as they are members of the unions.

Potential economic loss

The ongoing nationwide strike could result in a daily economic loss of N25.93bn for the Nigerian economy, as per data sourced from the National Bureau of Statistics.

The NBS had previously calculated the economic cost of a nationwide strike in 2012, providing insights into the potential financial impact.

In a document titled, ‘Economic Cost of the Nationwide Strike Action of 9th January – 16th January 2012: Initial Assessment,’ the NBS offered an initial estimate for an eight-day strike action.

Using projected figures for GDP in the first quarter of 2012 and the first quarters of the last three years (2009-2011) for each covered economic activity, the NBS stated, “The real cost of any socio-economic disturbance is the tragic but avoidable loss of human life, the value of which cannot be accurately computed.

“In this brief, the NBS relies on the Gross Domestic Product (or GDP) to estimate the monetary value of economic activity “lost” during the period of the strike. In this regard, it is estimated that the nation lost N207, 408.28m million during the eight-day strike.”

Extrapolating from this data, the potential daily economic loss in the current strike stands at N25.93 billion, underscoring the substantial economic implications of the ongoing labor action.

https://punchng.com/strike-aviation-workers-opt-out-ports-grounded/?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by wittywriter: 5:58am On Nov 15, 2023
Not surprised as their ogaontop is an ex activist now a VIP!
MANNABBQGR1LLS:
We will publicly support an action against any government that thinks that we should lament away our hunger,
unfortunately, this strike is not about those issues.
We have to be careful not to mix our political opinion with our responsibilities because the issues confronting workers are so many that they should become the priority.
This strike is politically motivated 🙄

Below is also from the private sectors....

In September, the Organised Private Sector of Nigeria issued a warning to the NLC and TUC, underscoring the substantial threat that strike actions pose to the country’s economy.
Expressing concerns about potential adverse effects on economic stability, the private sector urged a reconsideration of such actions to safeguard the nation’s economic interests.
Nonsense as usually of an asslick for fellow citizens that identify as politicians.
freshboi88:
People talking rubbish about how strike affects the country negatively, what has been the effect of a positive blooming economy to the common man in Nigerian ?

Nigeria at the moment is only working for a select few who steal our collective common wealth. Please NLC continue the strike.
FlawlessKarl:
shocked

Lol

Nigeria can never get better, but can only deteriorate and get worst everyday. People that should unite and fight against their common enemies and oppressors are opting out of strike grin ready to continued being oppressed by these bastards.

I should better join politics now , even if it means for me to lick asses and shit to reach the top, I am going to do that unapologetically, so that I can also oppress these foolish Nigerians. That's what they love and I will do it.

I think I should join the demonic ruling party APC now. Incase you see me start defending these fools in power here, don't be surprised, I am heading to somewhere. Fóolish Nigerians must also collect from my hand. grin
NLPoliceWoman:

Sein Mynd44 Dominique Justwise.
Rule 2.
Rule 8.
The NLer by moniker MANNABBQGR1LLS is a lost case.

Wittyness.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by AnietiePictures: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2023
Hmm
Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2023
We will publicly support an action against any government that thinks that we should lament away our hunger,
unfortunately, this strike is not about those issues.
We have to be careful not to mix our political opinion with our responsibilities because the issues confronting workers are so many that they should become the priority.
This strike is politically motivated 🙄
And we are glad many sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians see it the same way.

Below is also from the private sectors....

We have a way of doing our own things.
We don’t just embark on a strike without adequate preparation

22 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by FlawlessKarl: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2023
shocked

Lol

Nigeria can never get better, but can only deteriorate and get worst everyday. People that should unite and fight against their common enemies and oppressors are opting out of strike grin ready to continued being oppressed by these bastards.

I should better join politics now , even if it means for me to lick asses and shit to reach the top, I am going to do that unapologetically, so that I can also oppress these foolish Nigerians. That's what they love and I will do it.

I think I should join the demonic ruling party APC now. Incase you see me start defending these fools in power here, don't be surprised, I am heading to somewhere. Fóolish Nigerians must also collect from my hand. grin

11 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by WiszyFraud: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2023
Did you know??

Angola grants visa free access to citizens of 98 countries to boost tourism.

This includes Tanzania, Morocco, Lesotho, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Equatorial Guinea, Botswana, Madagascar, Eswatini, Malawi, Mauritius, Seychelles, Cape Verde, Algeria, Qatar, Germany, Spain, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, India, Israel, China and many more.

shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Eriggs: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2023
Aviation industry, PeaceAirline et al, just joined the banks to ignore this nonsense and political strike.
While a kid was telling me this few hours ago...
Angelfrost:
Banks are not directly under NLC and TUC... At least, that was what my friends working in major banks told me.

They are private companies, I think.
Banks have been joining all the prior strikes before you were born,
Na u little boy go come dey tell us now say the banks have been wrong all along.
Enemy of Nigeria.
Na dat strike dem want, shame on you and yours.
People wey no even get work sef dey put mouth for strike matter laug 🙄 🤣 😂

For example in Lagos, banks opened their offices earlier in the day and goods were going about their normal business, local government and hospitals opened, most of the public sector unions did not join the strike, and nobody enforced compliance

12 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by eliwa47(m): 6:26am On Nov 15, 2023
This nation wide strike by NLC will flop cos it was not well planned! It was planned in a hurry undecided

1 Like

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by bewla(m): 6:26am On Nov 15, 2023
R
Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by helinues: 6:28am On Nov 15, 2023
Partial strike

3 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Ola9ja23: 6:28am On Nov 15, 2023
Ajaero should focus on SadEast

Let your people keep sitting at home and allow the industrious and productive people to searching for daily bread

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Ahmed0336(m): 6:29am On Nov 15, 2023
This strike is uncalled for.
Na recently I know say Tinubu na gentleman.

Rubbish!!!!
How would you be luring investors to come and invest in your country and little incident that happened in Owerri have grounded the country. Why would the whole country experience black out because of this? What message are you sending to those investors?
So the day NLC or TUC president misses his flight we will face same thing? This government need to put this man where he belongs.
To those in support of this rubbish, just pray no one close to you is sick and is currently admitted in a government hospital.

21 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Henry22(m): 6:29am On Nov 15, 2023
Nigeria is now the biggest joke, so just because you where beating that's the reason why you decided to embark on nation wide shut down not minding if it affects the common man negatively or positively?

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by duullie88(m): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2023
Nigeria and it's unique problems
Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by tommy589(m): 6:34am On Nov 15, 2023
Strike that won't stop governors from collecting monthly allocations. Labour leaders "allocations" won't feel any reduction in weight too

11 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Gkay1(m): 6:34am On Nov 15, 2023
Because of beating, Mr joe declare nation wide strike, what about if they kill him, what will happen.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Parydelegate: 6:35am On Nov 15, 2023
Hmm
Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by successmatters(m): 6:36am On Nov 15, 2023
In the mind of many idiots littering the cyberspace,

"Na Igbo people strike, we're not joining it" grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by DesChyko: 6:37am On Nov 15, 2023
Mixed feelings towards this strike. On one hand, it doesn't have to take when they come for them to sit up and do their part in nation building. On the other hand, how else does the Nigerian government listen?

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Mpcoll001: 6:38am On Nov 15, 2023
No wahala
Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by nairalee(m): 6:38am On Nov 15, 2023
It's about to go down
Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by ChiefOloye(m): 6:38am On Nov 15, 2023
Democracy is a weakling system of Government and the bane of African development and growth

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Zeebuy: 6:39am On Nov 15, 2023
Same people insulting labour on this thread are the same ones who have been calling Labour a toothless dog since Labour has been threatening to go on strike since 4 months now due to government's failure to keep its own end of the deal.
The "toothless dog" has finally bitten, none of them asked why FG didn't keep to their agreement, they're all here defending foolishly.

You guys spent 8 years foolishly defending Buhari's ineptitude while he ran the country aground. You guys are back to defend tinubu's ineptitude while he buries the country.

Wicked souls, you ingrates are the problem of this country

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by freshboi88: 6:40am On Nov 15, 2023
People talking rubbish about how strike affects the country negatively, what has been the effect of a positive blooming economy to the common man in Nigerian ?

Nigeria at the moment is only working for a select few who steal our collective common wealth. Please NLC continue the strike.

13 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by DANDANO14: 6:41am On Nov 15, 2023
Where is the minister of labour,he should be available to resolve the situation at hand

1 Like

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by kennethesan(m): 6:41am On Nov 15, 2023
Together we stand, all this division wouldn't help

1 Like

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Chispa: 6:42am On Nov 15, 2023
Nice development. Lagos the scammer's land

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by bigsyke: 6:42am On Nov 15, 2023
One Spanner lost
Re: Strike: Aviation Workers Opt Out, Ports Grounded by Padipadi(m): 6:42am On Nov 15, 2023
Obo n ta Nigeria gidi gan.
Abe n kan wa,
o n ro wa,
o n ta wa!
Cos gbogbo dido ti everybody n dowa yi le ba obo Nigeria je.
NLC go talk but not do. Govt go talk but not do. We need talk and do people.
The strike is needed but NLC is politically divided. Joe Agbero abi na Ajaero is doing some things cos of grievances he had with APC and some post election trauma effects cos he supported oppositions.
Now, what we need is a genuine collabo of all labour factions to strike the strike well so that it can be sweet. I mean so that govt can feel it so hard. Meanwhile citizens too go collect from it the most but it's a way to grab this govt by the neck!

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo,Apc Governors Storm Benin As Obaseki Flags Off Guber Campaign / Farmer Welcomes Quadruplets In Sokoto, Receives Donations From Tambuwal / Kano LP Gov Candidate, Bashir Ishaq Bashir Collapses Structure Into APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.