Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Cheapest Substitute For Rice - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cheapest Substitute For Rice (28475 Views)

Hardship: FCT Consumers Turn To ‘awara’ As Substitute For Meat / Substitute For Meat And Fish / Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Kobojunkie: 3:45pm On Nov 19, 2023
Love800:
Which oats in particular are u talking abt?
The one dat we normally use milk and sweetner to prepare?
Yes! It is the same one that some blend down to powder and make into solid for eating with soup! undecided

1 Like

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Nov 19, 2023
Satazaa:
not so healthy especially if you are ageing
Not True at all since oats are less calorie-laden than your rice and many other starchy foods. undecided
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Love800(m): 3:53pm On Nov 19, 2023
Lol.
Ok
Kobojunkie:
Yes! It is the same one that some blend down to powder and make into solid for eating with soup! undecided
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Nov 19, 2023
Love800:
Lol.
Ok
It is very good too! I something make porridge of it too. undecided
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Love800(m): 4:06pm On Nov 19, 2023
Hw does dis porridge look like?
Wat are the ingredients?
Kobojunkie:
It is very good too! I something make porridge of it too. undecided
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Love800(m): 4:07pm On Nov 19, 2023
Nice one
adecz:

Is there anything that hasn't
gone up?

Since Buhari and his APC came to
power, most foodstuff, especially
any foodstuff produced in Nigeria have gone up in price from a 500 to 1000%❗️❗️

In fact, the lower percentage increase
has more to do with imported foodstuff,
therefore wheat based products have
gone up about 500%, while local rice,
palm oil, beans, gari etc went up by up
to 1000%, thank to Emefiele's 419 policies & Buharinomics.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Love800(m): 4:08pm On Nov 19, 2023
Ok
Tankz alot
Rich4god:

I do .. but if you want to learn, na to use YouTube video. It's difficult to learn by description.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Nov 19, 2023
Love800:
Hw does dis porridge look like?
Wat are the ingredients?
Same ingredients you would add to any of your porridge whether it be beans, yams, rice, etc. undecided

1 Like

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Love800(m): 4:11pm On Nov 19, 2023
Ok.
Tankz alot.

But where can one purchase the okpa raw material?
Rich4god:

I do .. but if you want to learn, na to use YouTube video. It's difficult to learn by description.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Raf4: 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2023
Corn247:
Egbo ( grounded corn).
Much more sweeter than rice sef

Egbo is corn porridge
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Love800(m): 4:24pm On Nov 19, 2023
Lol.
This must be a very interesting food.
Tanks so much for ur time
Kobojunkie:
Same ingredients you would add to any of your porridge whether it be beans, yams, rice, etc. undecided

1 Like

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by delpee(f): 5:31pm On Nov 19, 2023
Sweet potatoes, gari and maybe beans depending on the current price.

1 Like

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Rich4god(m): 7:33pm On Nov 19, 2023
Love800:
Ok.
Tankz alot.

But where can one purchase the okpa raw material?

Bambara nuts can be found in major grain markets across the country.

Then the major problem you might face is grinding it. Not many people knows how to properly grind and seive it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Resetinc: 8:15pm On Nov 19, 2023
newoffer:
Shebi we for no get problem. We no like grass but we like am inside sharwama

even the vegetables we Dey eat, e come cost oo😂 think am na … na only vegetable wey humans Dey chop Dey cost money
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by cardoso514: 6:00am On Nov 20, 2023
egbo is cheapest substitute
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by RepoMan007: 8:43am On Nov 20, 2023
Swiftgrp:

I just knew it. Once demand skyrockets, greedy middlemen kick in and start to hoard and increase prices of items. Very predictable.
it has always been expensive check the price history internationally and ask from locals around.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Swiftgrp: 10:16am On Nov 20, 2023
RepoMan007:
it has always been expensive check the price history internationally and ask from locals around.
Indeed... My further research since first knowing more about the fonio grain (aka acha) last week affirms what you've posted here.

It's the fastest growing grain in the world from my investigations (with a 60-day cycle), hence it should be cheaper. But then again, many variables exist that can lead to the overall costing of agrocommodities depending on location and seasonality.

Thanks for the insightful input.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by RepoMan007: 10:38am On Nov 20, 2023
Swiftgrp:

Indeed... My further research since first knowing more about the fonio grain (aka acha) last week affirms what you've posted here.

It's the fastest growing grain in the world from my investigations (with a 60-day cycle), hence it should be cheaper. But then again, many variables exist that can lead to the overall costing of agrocommodities depending on location and seasonality.

Thanks for the insightful input.
Averages about 1.2 tonnes an hectare compared to 4.5 tonnes for rice an hectare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by Swiftgrp: 10:57am On Nov 20, 2023
RepoMan007:
Averages about 1.2 tonnes an hectare compared to rice's 4.5 tonnes an hectare.
That's a huge average tonnage difference per hectare! These are key stats for sustainable projections and development.

To boost food security worldwide, more research works are needed though agro research institutions to genetically boost the per hectare tonnages of critical food crops.

The South Africans have been able to get higher yields per hectare from some of the same types of crops grown in Nigeria.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by newoffer: 5:32pm On Nov 20, 2023
Na the person wey start to fry stew I blame.
Resetinc:

even the vegetables we Dey eat, e come cost oo😂 think am na … na only vegetable wey humans Dey chop Dey cost money

1 Like

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by ycat: 7:38am On Nov 28, 2023
Gari now has insects, I found insects in gari 3 times in July or August and the store owner said it's normal. I'm Ijebu but no more gari for now.
BennyDGreat:

How about this processed garri they export?
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by BennyDGreat: 12:36pm On Nov 28, 2023
ycat:
Gari now has insects, I found insects in gari 3 times in July or August and the store owner said it's normal. I'm Ijebu but no more gari for now.

Na wa oh...I never hear say garri dey get insect before

1 Like

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by ycat: 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2023
I was shocked too, but the woman said casually that "only beans bugs" when I told her that I've never experienced that before. Though she offered to give me another one, I decided to pass on it because if they sift it, I won't see the bugs but the eggs will still be in it.

BennyDGreat:

Na wa oh...I never hear say garri dey get insect before
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by BennyDGreat: 7:35pm On Nov 28, 2023
ycat:
I was shocked too, but the woman said casually that "only beans bugs" when I told her that I've never experienced that before. Though she offered to give me another one, I decided to pass on it because if they sift it, I won't see the bugs but the eggs will still be in it.

It must have been from the processing.
Most likely processed by folks who are eager to make quick gains. No care for quality.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by ycat: 8:55am On Dec 07, 2023
I think it took long during shipping or they forgot it in the warehouse somewhere.
BennyDGreat:

It must have been from the processing.
Most likely processed by folks who are eager to make quick gains. No care for quality.
Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by BennyDGreat: 11:59am On Dec 07, 2023
ycat:
I think it took long during shipping or they forgot it in the warehouse somewhere.

Ohh I see

1 Like

Re: Cheapest Substitute For Rice by ycat: 7:00am On Dec 08, 2023
BennyDGreat:

Ohh I see

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Much Is 3kg Cylinder Gas In Your Area? / What Is The Weirdest Food Combo You Have Ever Eaten? (picture) / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.